Wolf's Bane Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Can you let me up then?" I asked. He untied me and I sprang out of bed like a leaf on the wind.

The next few weeks were the best of my life, everything seemed sharper in my eyes and I could hear a pin drop in the kitchen from my bedroom. I went through my chores quicker then my siblings and they started to notice a change in me, like I had this cloak of confidence wrapped around me at all times. While I was alone I noticed that I was almost three times stronger than before and all of my senses were remarkably heightened to the point like they were those of an animal. Then everything took a turn for the worse, as the entire family went to the nearest town for supplies and to visit friends of the family in Burlington. It took us better part of a day to reach Burlington by horse drawn wagon. The Barnes were a family of sweet-hearted people, shorter then my sister at 5'5, but sweet hearted none the less. All of the young people hung out and talked most of the day and went to a church carnival to enjoy ourselves to our fullest. We laughed and ate to our hearts content and they began the campfire tales of wicked witches and creatures of the night under the cloudy sky. Old man MacClintock was sitting at the place of honor in front of the bonfire, preparing to tell his last story of the evening, usually his best. The locals said that his ending story was always the best, but never the same one twice.

"Gather 'round, gather 'round little ones, for this is the last story for tonight. Your wondering what it will be about. Witches, warlocks, demons within the woods, shape shifters, evil kings, grand wizards, fairy princesses, but what shall it be?" the old man wheezed out.

He sat there scratching his bearded chin, a picture perfect image of contemplation. Then he clapped his hands in a gesture of supreme pleasure, as a broad grin spread across his face.

"This years' story is about a man, cursed forever to live his life in the light as a man, while in the darkness he walked the path of the beast." Old man MacClintock went on for an hour, describing the most pained filled story about this man who is curse to take the shape of a wolf in the night. The man was killed in the end by a silver handled cane and was buried in a shallow grave filled with wolf's bane. Everyone screamed when one of the parents came running up to the fire wearing a home made mask and howled like a dog. I laughed at these antics and remembered them from my childhood. As everyone was getting up, I felt the strangest sensation rippling all over my body, starting from my toes to the very top of my hair. I looked about; trying to discern what was causing this, and notice my shadow on the ground.

'What's this?' I thought to myself.

I was acting like a fool and realized it was just moon light. I slowly looked up into the cloudy sky and saw the moon trying to peek through the cloud cover. After a minute the moon finally came into plain view and my body was locked in its place, unable to move feeling the blood pumping through my veins. Soon I was able to hear my heartbeat, and then other heartbeats joined mine. I realized I was hearing the heartbeats of those around me. I felt myself start to change as I stared directly into the moon. My two upper and lower canine teeth elongated, my skin was aflame like it was covered with ants, my bones start to grow and shift. I heard screams throughout the campsite; one of them was my own. The sound of tearing cloth was in my ears, as my face changed into a muzzle and my hands became claw like. The scent of unwashed bodies came to my nose, along with the pungent odor of fear. I look down and see dark fur sprouting all over my body, the same as the color of my hair, except an area across my chest that had a diagonal silver swath. I looked around and saw all of the people running in all directions and began to fear what I might be. But something didn't seem right to me.

'From all of the stories I've heard, were-creatures are supposed to be mindless minions of the devil. Evil through and through. Yet I don't feel evil. I still feel like me, except different. Powerful even.' I thought.

I started to walk and almost stumbled. I looked down and saw the ruin tatters of my shoes and other clothing. I kicked off the remains of my shoes and flex the toes of my paws and started to run. I slowed down looking at everything with new eyes. I saw my father, not far off, trying to rouse some woman that had fainted. I approached slowly not wanting to startle him. He spun around suddenly, his eyes wide with astonishment.

"Stay back foul beast!" he shouted.

"Father, please." I spoke for the first time since the change. My voice sounded hoarse and gravelly.

"William, my son. What has happened to you?" My father said with tears running down his face.

"It's still me, papa. I'm just different now, but I'm still your son on the inside." I said pleadingly.

"I know that, my boy. But you can't come home again. Word of this will spread like wildfire and the local church followers will come looking for you at home with torches, pitchforks, and flintlocks. They'll kill you, after their done torturing you in some damnable witch trial. I love you son, now go before they gather in force." My father was openly crying now and turn his back on my. I stood their unable to move for a minute.

"Good bye father, I love you all." I whispered. And with that I ran off into the woods. Leaping over large tree falls, dodging large predators here and there. In the distance I heard the baying of hunting dogs and the sent of pitch torches wafted on the breeze. I kept running in the direction that I thought was east, towards the morning sun. Once in a while I would cross streams, small rivers, and cut across fields when I came upon them. Soon the sound of the dogs fell behind as I headed deeper into the forest, as the moon started to sink behind me. Two hours later I came upon a small creek and I stopped to rest and drink my fill. I lapped at the water with my tongue, causing ripples to spread out in the running water. Once they settled, I saw my new face for the first time.

'Not bad. Still have my green eyes though.' I thought.

I reached up and scratched my pointed ears, which had shifted near the top of my head. I noticed then that I still had my hunting knife attached to my belt. I touched the knife with one stubby, padded finger. I drew myself out of my revelry and started to run again. Hours melted together and soon the sky began to turn a deep blue with the beginning of the rising sun. Soon I found my self-standing at the base of a small mountain that bordered a rather large valley. It was a steep climb, which I did on either two legs or four that seem completely natural.

'Those stories must be wrong. I don't feel evil at all, just free and powerful. Well, according to the church, if it feels good, it must be wrong or evil.' I mused.

All too soon I found a small cave niche in the side of the mountain faces towards the inside of the valley. As the sun peeked out from the horizon, I felt myself change and when I looked down I was 'normal' again. I crawled into the cave and laid down on the rocky, uneven surface. After a few minutes of staring out into the new morning light, I drifted off into a deep sleep. Sweet darkness greeted me and I was at peace. Who knows what the new day could bring.

12