Words of the Week 01

Story Info
Weekly vocabulary for writers: 5/31-6/6.
868 words
3.97
87.7k
3
0

Part 7 of the 16 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 06/04/2004
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
velvetpie
velvetpie
1,280 Followers

Whenever I read, I keep a pencil handy and I underline words that I don’t know and dog ear the page so that I can go back and look them up in the dictionary. I have always been interested in etymology and even took Latin for three years. I hope that these words can help all of us in our writings. Be sure to check out your dictionary for additional usages of the words and spellings associated with changing the word from adjective to adverb to noun … etc.


ABLUTION
noun

Pronounced: ab-LOO-shun

Meaning: The washing of one’s body or part of it as a religious rite.

Example: A common example ofablution in Judaism is washing the hands before a meal that includes bread.

* * * * *

CLANDESTINE
adjective

Pronounced: clan-DES-tin

Meaning: Marked by, held in, or conducted with secrecy or concealment.

Example: Mike and Sally madeclandestine plans for their mother’s surprise birthday party.

* * * * *

INDOCTRINATE
verb

Pronounced: in-DOC-trin-ate

Meaning: To give instructions especially in fundamentals or rudiments.

Example: Special classes were designed toindoctrinate new employees.

* * * * *

MALEDICTION
noun

Pronounced: mal-a-DIC-shun

Meaning: Curse.

Example: The villain’s last words were amalediction on the entire royal family.

* * * * *

OLFACTORY
adjective

Pronounced: ole-FAC-tory

Meaning: Of, relating to, or connected with the sense of smell.

Example: Humans have relatively weakolfactory abilities compared to many other animals.

* * * * *

PAUCITY
noun

Pronounced: PAW-city

Meaning: A small number or fewness.

Example: The choir suffered from apaucity of male voices.

* * * * *

BEVY
noun

Pronounced: BEV-ee

Meaning: An unusually large group or collection.

Example: Abevy of reporters crowded around the gold medal winner.

* * * * *

REGURGITATE
verb

Pronounced: re-GUR-gi-tate

Meaning: To throw up, cast out or pour out again.

Example: Brenda watched the redbirdregurgitate food to feed his nestlings.

* * * * *

SOMNAMBULANT
adjective

Pronounced: som-NAM-bue-lent

Meaning: Walking or addicted to walking while asleep.

Example: Sheila could remember nothing of hersomnambulant activities when she was told of them the next morning.

* * * * *

ZEPHYR
noun

Pronounced: ZEF-fur

Meaning: A soft warm breeze from the West.

Example: The gentlezephyr was not sufficient to keep Renee’s kite airborne.

* * * * *

DETERRENT
noun

Pronounced: de-TUR-rent

Meaning: Something that discourages or prevents from acting by fear or consideration of unpleasant consequences.

Example: The police hoped that Ted’s severe jail sentence would serve as adeterrent to criminal activity by the other gang members.

* * * * *

JETTISON
verb

Pronounced: JET-tih-sohn

Meaning: Drop (as auxiliary equipment, bombs, cargo or fuel) from an airplane in flight (as for lightening the load or providing greater safety).

Example: The airplane’s malfunctioning engine prompted the crew tojettison all unnecessary cargo.

* * * * *

VINCULUM
noun

Pronounced: VINK-u-lum

Meaning: A unifying bond.

Example: Their mutual love of dolls is thevinculum between Delia and Christine, who are otherwise very different.

* * * * *

HERMITAGE
noun

Pronounced: HER-mi-tidge

Meaning: A secluded residence or private retreat.

Example: Dave’s father has always dreamed of living in the city during the week and escaping to some countryhermitage on the weekends.

* * * * *

TURMOIL
noun

Pronounced: TURR-moyl

Meaning: An utterly confused, extremely agitated or tumultuous state or condition.

Example: Jacob experienced unrelentingturmoil after his parents informed him that the family might move.

* * * * *

EGREGIOUS
adjective

Pronounced: uh-GREE-jus

Meaning: Flagrant or glaringly evident.

Example: As a medical researcher, Laura knew that many reports of medical breakthroughs on television containedegregious errors.

* * * * *

QUISLING
noun

Pronounced: KWIS-ling

Meaning: A traitorous national who aids the invader of his country and often serves as chief agent or puppet governor.

Example: Many French citizens thought that Marshal Petain, head of the Vichy regime during World War II, was little better than aquisling.

* * * * *

LAMPOON
noun

Pronounced: lam-POON

Meaning: A light mocking satire.

Example: The new movie is alampoon of the horror films that are made especially for teenagers.

* * * * *

FIEFDOM
noun

Pronounced: FEEF-dum

Meaning: An area over which one exercises control.

Example: The manager’sfiefdom consisted of two departments and the company newsletter.

* * * * *

UNREQUITED
adjective

Pronounced: un-ree-KWITE-ted

Meaning: Not returned in kind.

Example: Several passages in the novel were devoted to Harriet’sunrequited love for Mr. Ethan.

* * * * *

GREGARIOUS
adjective
Meaning: Marked by an instinctive or temperamental preference for a social rather than a solitary existence.

Example: Because of theirgregarious nature, dogs make good house pets.

* * * * *

YEOMANRY
noun

Pronounced: YO-men-ree

Meaning: The whole body of small farmers who cultivate their own land; specifically, the body of small landed proprietors of the middle class.

Example: Among the legal privileges of theyeomanry was the right to serve as a juror.

* * * * *

KUDOS
noun

Pronounced: KUU-doze

Meaning: Praises given for achievement.

Example: Daphne received manykudos from the drama coach after her performance in the school play.

velvetpie
velvetpie
1,280 Followers