World of Ranicke 03

Story Info
Jim heals and becomes apprentice songsmith.
11.9k words
4.79
16.3k
19

Part 3 of the 19 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 09/30/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
maxd01
maxd01
656 Followers

I am going to add this since I had some congenital idiot in my other story take nudity of anyone under 18 the wrong way. In the case of that story it is a lycan story and for the most part they stripped before changing and that included the children. I liken it to nudist going on vacation to a nudist beach where it means nothing other than you aren't wearing anything.

In this case though I haven't mentioned it at some point it might come up when it comes to bathing and especially since Nasha takes care of children of ages up to about 5. I don't know how many of you have children but I have three and till they were about 5 and we were sure they could bath completely we bathed them. With Nasha it would be the same. The adults normally bath earlier than the children since they have things to do. Now if someone is a parent they might bring them to the bath before dropping them off. If so then there is going to be some sort of nudity.

When there is nudity of anyone under 18 it is simply going to be something along the lines of 'his mother stripped her son down and stepped into the water to get him clean'. I am sorry if this offends you since any and all sexual relationships are going to be the equivalent of 18+. The reason I say that is they live longer than human's and so their age of maturity is older than it would be for us.

So having said that I hope that you keep enjoying the story that I am writing. Oh, the more feedback the better. I want to know what you like, dislike, verbal sparring that you find amusing and things like that. It helps me improve my story. Any suggestions you feel like making would be appreciated as well. I might not use them but would appreciate them.

Chapt 3

After Loma had left Jim was quiet for most of the evening as he mulled over what had happened. Finally Moran leaned over and touched his arm. "Jim tell me about your world and why you resisted taking the gift please." His hand was gentle on Jim's arm and it was obvious that he was curious but didn't demand an answer.

Jim kept his eyes on his plate. For a few minutes he was silent and then started speaking. "I was a member of our military for many years. We were paid a certain amount each month based on our rank." He frowned. "Think of it as when Sorrel goes and collects herbs, fruit, or veggies and she sort of gets paid by getting food and clothing." He was scooting his food around. "When we did something like saving Tonya it was just part of our job. We were not expected or allowed to accept gifts." He sort of shrugged when he said that. His world was so different from there's.

Moran managed to keep his face neutral as Jim spoke since that sounded so strange. To do something like what he had done yet not be allowed to accept something in thanks sounded so strange. The idea of pay, whatever that was, also sounded very odd. What was pay? He wanted to ask but didn't want to take a chance of upsetting him even more. "Well here since we are on a barter economy little gifts for things done are normal." He smiled at him. "I think the only reason you haven't gotten any is because the parents aren't sure how to handle you. You are so different in the way act that you confuse them."

Sorrel had to grin slightly. "Tomorrow you will probably have a few small thank you gifts at the tent and you had better accept them or I will make you sleep by yourself for a week or two." She was grinning when she said that but didn't get the result she expected.

"Good, I won't have to share the covers..." He smirked at her and then yawned. "Let me finish my food and then I want to head towards bed." Jim looked at Moran. "I think I will feel up to handling one of the elders or songsmiths in the morning. Beyond that I just don't know." He didn't realize it but his accelerated healing was being caused by what the White Lady did. Jim had still been healing but it had vastly slowed down.

Moran nodded. "I will set you up with one of the songsmiths since they tend to be a bit more mellow." He would have to vet some of the elders to ensure that who talked to Jim was moderately civil since he was still injured. He also had a feeling that Jim would not take being interrogated very well. Especially if it was an aggressive interrogation. He was having enough problems coming to terms with their culture. "Go to bed Jim. I will ensure that you aren't woken to early."

Jim nodded at him and carefully stood up and walked out of the tent and over to Sorrel's. She remained behind and he figured she would probably go dancing since he was doing well enough alone. Sorrel needed to have some fun as well for all the baby sitting she had been doing of him. Jim stripped down and lay down on the bed and pulled the cover up to cover his bottom since it still hurt to have anything on his wounds.

~~~

The next morning Sorrel woke him up. "Time to get up silly. Seems you have some admirers." When she had opened the flap to her tent she had found a small pile of wrapped gifts with glyphs as close to his name as possible. Some of the spelling was totally funny. "You need to open them and at least look at them. Once you do take the wrappers and I will show you where to hang them."

He tuned and glowered at her and then sighed. "I really don't have a choice about this do I? It does bother me but unless I can find a way back I need to get used to your culture." He carefully rolled over till he was sitting up and carefully pulled on the loose pants he was using and moved over to the table. On it were what looked like a dozen different packages with tags on them. "Why is the writing different?" Jim figured they were thanks.

Sorrel laughed. "Let's just say your name has been spelled in different ways." She snickered when she said that. "We will have to standardize your name." She lightly leaned against him. "Breakfast will be here shortly so you need to open them."

Jim sighed and picked up a small package and rolled it open and his hand shook. It looked like some of the teeth from the bear. In the center of the necklace was what looked like a carved piece of amber that was carved with a bear's head. That he set off to one side.

Sorrel gave him a light hug. "That is from the warrior chief. Since you killed the bear he is now your guardian spirit and to wear the necklace is to protect you." She lightly touched the carving. "There is a ceremony where you will be granted the bear as your guardian. Till then don't wear it." She pulled out a decent sized box and opened it and laid the necklace in it. "You will probably get more trinkets and jewelry."

He opened several more and she was right. There were some homemade necklaces and a few bracelets that got put in the box. One he put on the other wrist since he recognized some work from one of the boys he had been teaching. Eventually he reached the last package and opened it and there was a case inside. When he opened it he found the Gitturn he had been using. He looked up at Sorrel in shock. In his world it would be a very fine specimen.

She smiled at him but right as she was going to say anything there was a knock on the post by the door. "Good morning Sorrel and Jim. I am master songsmith Eldon and I am here to talk with Jim if he is feeling up to it." Eldon was an older elf and traces of white could be seen streaking his hair.

Jim sat up as much as possible. "Good morning sir. If you can wait I need to eat before I take my meds. Once I have done that one pit stop I will be ready to speak with you." He was still holding the Gitturn and rather possessively.

Sorrel stood. "I will talk to you later Jim. I have some work that needs doing. If you need anything go to Nasha or the healers tent." She gave him a light kiss before nodding at the songsmith. She had her own gift she wanted to make for him. As she was leaving the food arrived and she glanced at Eldon and the man shook his head.

Jim tucked into the food and part way through tossed down the pills he had been told to take at each meal. "Thank you for allowing me to eat or my back would have been really hurting." He finally finished the food and looked at him. "I am not sure what you want me to do but do you want me to start with the Gitturn?"

Eldon shook his head. "No son, I have listened to you as you have been learning how to play and you have been doing very well." He settled back in the chair. "To make you a Journeyman songsmith you need to learn to play two stringed instruments and one wind instrument. I would have to request that you learn our songs as well. Since you have been working with the children you would have to learn more of the teaching songs." He twitched his ears. "If you don't mind my asking how did you come to be a songsmith as well as a warrior?"

Jim sighed slightly. "I have a feeling I am going to be telling the story a number of times." He gave the man a wry grin. "I started learning what we called a guitar back when I was twelve or so. It gives me some way to express myself. When I turned 18 I went to college for sociology and cultural studies as well." He took a drink of the juice. "I miss coffee darn it. After college there wasn't any jobs for me so I joined my country's military for 8 years before I got out. After that I went to work for one of the special departments of my government. Through all this I kept playing the guitar."

Much of what Jim said didn't make sense to Eldon but he didn't bother asking for more explanations since what mattered was how long he had been playing. "Why don't you put your instrument away and follow me to the music tent." Eldon stood and waited for Jim to do that and waved him to walk next to him. "So how many of your songs that you have sung have you written?"

Jim tensed up since that was a question he didn't want to talk about the one song he had written. "All the songs I have sung have been written by others. As long as we give credit for who created it we can sing them. Some are old enough that the rights have expired." His voice was tense though he tried not to show that he didn't want to talk about it.

Eldon looked at him and pushed. "Jim we all have written songs that mean a great deal to us. Those are the ones that are the most important since they express our emotions the most." He looked in the distance. "Mine was about when my mate passed on. It was sad yet we believe in reincarnation so there was hope as well. It took me a long time before I would play it for anyone. When I did it helped a great deal."

Right about then they reached the tent and walked in which distracted him from his thoughts. There were all manner of instruments. They ranged from simple harps to floor harps. Mandolins, odd looking woodwind instruments and a few brass instruments. One instrument that caught his attention was what looked very close to a guitar and actually had 6 strings. He went over and looked at it and ran his fingers just over the strings. "How beautiful. This is a masterful instrument."

Eldon smiled since it was his journeyman's instrument and he enjoyed playing it. "Please take it down and try it. If you need to change the pitch please do." He waited for him to do something and was pleased when he took it down and stroked it for a few moments.

Since he was used to using a pick he pulled one he had created out and lightly plucked each string. The pitch was different from what he was used to. After looking at Eldon he adjusted the pitch to as close as possible and settled down in a chair and started in on a song. Why he played Arlington by Trace Adkins he wasn't sure but it was possibly talking about Saul earlier that morning. "That song was about men who died protecting our way of life." His voice was definitely sad and filled with emotions.

Eldon had settled down in a chair and listened to the song and some he understood and it made him sad knowing that good men had to lay down their lives. They had to lay them down to protect the elders, women, and children. "Is that the song you wrote?"

"No it isn't." He was lightly stroking the strings and tried to decide what to do. At the door he could sense people and that was making resist the urge. It was so very private and personal. One person he could share it with maybe but more than that? He simply couldn't. Jim finally looked up with a deep sadness in his eyes.

Eldon could see that he wouldn't play it at the moment. He turned and waved the others away from the door and with a nod they did. "They won't listen without your permission. Please may I hear it?" Composing was one of the things that separated a bard from a songsmith.

Jim looked down and started playing. As he was playing he sang his heart out since he hadn't played the song in a good fifteen years. By the time he was done there were tears on the instrument. "I wrote it for my little sister when she passed on after a battle with a disease we couldn't cure."

Eldon leaned over and gave his shoulder a good squeeze. "That was a very moving song son. If you can write that you can write anything you want. The one other thing you would need to do to make journeyman would be to learn a woodwind and teaching songs. Are you sure you want to be a warrior?"

He looked at Eldon and sighed. "One of the reasons I became a soldier was to be able to protect people the way I couldn't protect my little sister. I love playing music but it will always be a way of relaxing from my main job." He smiled sadly at the man. "I would be willing to spend part of my morning learning a woodwind and teaching songs. I have really enjoyed working with the children."

Eldon looked at him and nodded. "I can respect that and have to say that I am impressed that you are both almost a songsmith and a very strong warrior. The fact that you had some education as well is impressive." He stood. "Wait here Jim." He walked to the back of the tent and came back with a case. He tucked the instrument into it. "Take this to practice with."

Jim watched the man head towards the back and realized the tent was connected to one of the caravans. When Eldon came back out with a case and placed the instrument in it Jim was shocked. "I can't take this. It belongs to someone who is a professional and not someone like me." His acoustic guitar was good quality and he almost hated to admit it but had spent a bit over 2,000.00 on an electric guitar.

Eldon laughed. "Jim this was my journeyman instrument. One of these days you will have to learn to build own depending what you decide to do. I would be honored for you to use it. That and to be honest I would love to learn your pitch's and your songs." He gave him a sidelong look. "If it works out maybe you can be a part time apprentice of mine." He grimaced slightly. "I suppose trainee would be a better term since we would be learning from each other."

Jim was stroking the case and the fine leather and hoped that he could be worthy of it. "I don't know how long I will be here Sir. I am from a different world and don't know if I can get back but would be more than pleased to teach you what I can." He was starting to feel tired and sore.

"Go back to the tent son and relax. After you eat come by tomorrow and we can start learning each other's style." He made sure that Jim took the case and handed him a bracelet. "That will let them know that you are working with me."

Jim looked at it and fixed it around his wrist and reached over and gave him a good hand shake. "Thank you sir." He gathered up the case and slowly walked out of the tent and paused for a moment to get his bearings. Once he figured out where he was he headed he started towards her tent. At the moment he wasn't sure what to think. He had the necklace that he was going to be ceremoniously given, the bracelet from someone and the one from Eldon. God only knew what else he was going to be given.

As he was walking he thought about this morning and there had been some lovely material, another necklace though not the same, and a few other items. Most of them had been some sort of jewelry though most of it was simple. He figured he could alternate what he was wearing just to show everyone that the gifts meant something to him. When he came around the corner to Sorrel's tent he was more than surprised when he found some old man there. He sort of guessed he might be an Inu but was old enough it was hard to tell. To be honest Jim wasn't in the mood at the moment.

"Well finally you showed up." The man looked rather dyspeptic and had a rather sour expression. "Next time try not to keep an elder waiting for you. I have other things that require my attention other than waiting for a mere human." The man was sitting at Sorrel's table drinking something not that Jim gave a damn.

He took a moment to gather his emotions before speaking. "I apologize for the delay but I was with Master Songsmith Eldon and just finished with him. If you would like I can have some food brought for both of us since I need to eat to take my meds." Jim's expression was neutral but his eyes were hard and definitely looking angry at the tone the other was taking.

"You can wait for your meds since I have waited so long to talk with you about your story." His tone of voice indicated that he didn't really believe what he had been told about Jim's background. At the moment he was starting to push all of Jim's buttons.

Maybe if he hadn't been in pain and needed his meds he might have reacted differently but he was tired, hungry and needed his meds. His expression changed and his face hardened. "I do not appreciate the tone of voice you are taking with me. I was with Master Eldon and maybe if you had taken the time to check you would have known that." That was a snarl and he was leaning forward as he was speaking.

The man started to speak but Jim didn't let him. "Second I know for a fact that Sorrel is not here and is out doing her job. Just who the hell gave you the right to walk into her tent sit down in her furniture without her permission?" The angrier he was getting he could feel his back getting tenser and it was only making the pain even worse. He had to take a moment to catch his breath which was a bad idea.

Nigeal took the pause as a chance to speak. "How dare you speak to me that way? Just because you have some minor injury and are whining about it does not give you the right to speak to me that way human." That was way to much.

Jim didn't even think twice before lunging at the man and jerked him across the table. "Minor injuries? Fucking minor injuries? I am going to give you the same minor injuries I have and see just how much you whine about it." His knife came out though he had no plans on actually doing that. Instead he slammed it into the table. "If I ever see you again I will slice you open like the bear did me." He was starting to heave the man out of the tent when Moran appeared.

"Jim stop now. Let him go and I will deal with it." Jim dropped him and staggered and tried not to scream. His back was so tense the pain was indescribable. He turned and grabbed the back of a chair and the muscles in his arms were as tense as possible. "I need help Moran. My back is so tense I can't move." He was still wearing the sort of hospital gown and some of the wounds were visible as well as the fact that his muscles were very tense.

Moran turned to the elder and did something that was almost never seen and slugged him. "I will see you in my tent in an hour. Be there or I will send warriors for you now get out." His voice was laden with anger. "Warriors get in here and help Jim. Thomas get the healer and then find my daughter as well as Nasha."

The men stared at him for a moment and then Thomas ran as if his life depended on it. There had been several outside listening but hadn't wanted to get involved since it was Jim's fight. "What do you need Jim?" They didn't want to do anything till he told them what he needed. When they glanced at Moran they winced since they hadn't seen him that angry for a very long time.

maxd01
maxd01
656 Followers