You Can't Fight Nature

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
StangStar06
StangStar06
5,788 Followers

In cases like that, the divorce that follows can be the beginning of a new life for both. In those cases, the separation can be a pleasant thing. There are others, where the couple has argued and fought so much over the years that they simply can't stand the shit out of each other. They fight contentiously, not because they love each other and want to stay together, but because they hate each other and want to make the other's life as miserable as possible. As in, "I'm not going to let that asshole have a divorce so he can go out and hook up with his God damned secretary and be happy."

My case was none of those. I loved Penny with all of my heart and soul. Until I walked into that motel room and saw her with Rick, I intended to spend the rest of my life with her. That was why this was so painful for me. I literally felt as if someone had managed to rip out a part of my soul. I didn't understand it. We had a great sex life. And I really thought that we loved each other. At least I loved her.

And the guy she picked; Rick was older than I am and I'm six years older than Penny. Rick is almost as old as her mother. And he's fat and balding. I just didn't understand it. If she wanted an old fat guy, why the hell did she marry me? In fact, she'd been the one who'd come after me when we first started dating.

We'd met in a bar. Both of us were there with groups of friends. We didn't know each other and none of our friends knew each other. She'd seen me and for the rest of the night, every time I turned around, there she was.

She'd even been the one to try a cheesy line on me. I remember looking into those beautiful eyes and I was just spellbound. And she said, "Well, if you're going to follow me around all night, you may as well tell me your name."

Now I go into a cheap motel and find her letting my old fat next door neighbor pound the hell out of what's supposed to me my pussy. I wondered how Tanya was going to take this. Just as I started to figure out what I wanted to do, I heard someone calling my name.

"Don Osmond," yelled a burly cop. I walked over to him and looked through the bars as he started to open the door. There were two other cops behind him and to either side with their hands on their side arms.

"Are you guys going to shoot me?" I asked.

"No asswipe, you've been bailed out," he said.

"By whom?" I asked. He just looked at me like I wasn't all there.

"Does it matter?" he asked.

"What was I charged with?" I asked. "And who bailed me out. How long have I been here?"

"Look Buddy, you have too many God damned questions," he said. "Do you want to get out or not?"

"Officer," I said. "I know that you deal with a lot of people in a lot of situations and it colors the way you look at everyone. You've heard it all too many times to repeat. But for me this is a new experience. This is the first time I've ever been in jail for any reason, so could you please give me just a moment and answer a couple of questions. It won't take up very much of your time and it will make a huge difference in my life."

The two other cops turned to look at him.

"Alright shoot," he said. "It's two p.m. you've been here for almost two hours."

I spoke in low tones so only he and the other cops who kept their eyes on the rest of my cellmates, could hear me.

"This afternoon I caught my wife and my next door neighbor together in a motel room. I admit that I handled it badly. I just don't want to see either of them ever again in life. So if it's Penny who's trying to bail me out using my own money because she doesn't have a fucking job, I'd rather stay in here. I don't want to have anything to do with her again."

"Sorry guy," he said. "It's her. She's been out there crying the whole time. But you may not have to worry. Some fat guy and his lawyer came in to talk to the prosecutor. I don't think he's going to press charges against you. But he looks kind of shifty so I wouldn't trust him. At any rate they're only going to keep you in here for a couple of days to cool off before they'll let you use that ATM and bail yourself out since you have no record and no one died."

They walked away looking at me with something akin to pity in their eyes. I sat back down on the bench and noticed that a lot of my cellmates were watching me. I'm sure they wondered what the hell I was talking to the cops about and why I wouldn't leave.

I knew that Penny tried to bail me out because she felt guilty. I had been honest with the cops. I wanted nothing more to do with her. I felt bad at that point because I'd actually helped convince Judy to give Ed another chance when I was unwilling to do so for Penny. I wondered if the way I felt was the way that Judy felt when Ed cheated on her. Ed had done it over and over again, so Judy had gone through this more than once. I couldn't understand how she'd survived it. She had to be far stronger than I am.

It's the strangest thing. If you think about a person long enough, they show up. Just as I was wondering whether or not Penny would tell Judy what she'd done, my cops were back.

"Hey, Osmond, there's another hot woman here to see you. It's not the first one it must be her sister. This one says her name is Judy. She's in the interrogation room. Do you want to see her?"

"Yes," I said. He had me stick both of my hands through the bars together and then cuffed me again. Then he opened the door while the others kept their guns ready and walked me out, closing the door behind me. We walked down the hall and into a divided room. There was a huge panel of bullet proof glass with small holes in certain places for people to talk through.

I sat down and looked through the glass at Judy. For a minute neither of us said anything.

"Hi Donnie," she said. "What's going on?"

"So, Penny didn't tell you?" I asked.

"She just said that you'd beaten up your next door neighbor and gotten put in jail and you wouldn't let her bail you out because you were upset about it," she said. "But I know you, Donnie. And I have a bad feeling."

"Judy, she cheated on me," I said. Her face fell.

"Not with...Isn't he...yucky?" she asked in shock. "But why? From what she tells me you guys are constantly..."

Before we could talk any further, a tall man in a cheap suit and glasses knocked on the wall. "Excuse me," he said. "Are you Don Osmond?"

I nodded my head. "Can you join me in the conference room across the hall when you're done here?" he pointed to my cuffs and the cops un-cuffed me. "He's not a flight risk. He doesn't have a record. Why is he cuffed?"

"He's in here for assault," said the cop. "Although I'd have done the same thing. Actually he's in here for a slut; not assault."

"Donnie, what are you going to do?" asked Judy. "I know how you're feeling, so don't do anything dumb."

"I'll call you tomorrow," I said. "If I get out of here today, I'll be sending your daughter to stay with you."

I walked into the conference room and saw three men sitting around a table with Penny. Two of the men I didn't recognize. As I walked in, Penny jumped to her feet and Rick stood up and limped towards me.

"Get the fuck away from me," I yelled. I looked at the guy sitting at the table. "If either of these assholes comes near me, I'm going back to my cell."

Penny and Rick went back to where they sat and the guy at the table looked at them.

"Mr. Osmond, I'm Willis Drummond, I'm the district attorney for this region. I have literally thousands of cases coming across my desk on a daily basis. Mr. Daniels here is the lawyer who represents your neighbor."

"Anyway, Mr. Daniels has a proposition that would allow everyone here to walk away immediately, sort of a no harm-no foul situation."

"What you talking about Willis?" I asked.

"Why don't you tell him Charlie," he said to Daniels.

The lawyer looked at me and started talking as if he and I were old friends. "Well Don, what happened here is an unfortunate situation. The emotional toll alone is terrible. There's no reason that you need to leave this room with a criminal record that will cause you problems for the rest of your life. These are very serious charges."

"We're talking about Assault and Battery, plus Intent to do great bodily harm," he said.

"Don't worry about it," I said. "With my education and my specialty, my employer and future employers won't give half a God damn about this."

He gulped.

"Well, there's no need to have an innocent person hurt because of some fun that got out of control," he said. "There's no reason for that."

"Who in this fucking room is innocent?" I asked. "Only me. I'm the one who got hurt here."

Penny started crying at that point. "I thought I had a woman that I could love and be with for the rest of my life. I found out that wasn't the case. I thought I had a neighbor...make that a friend, living next door to me that I could trust. I found out that wasn't the case either."

"Donnie, what about Tanya?" Rick asked. "Tanya has never done anything to hurt you. Why does she have to be hurt in all of this?"

"Tanya deserves to know what a fucking skunk she's married to. She doesn't deserve to be cheated on and lied to. No one deserves that," I said. "Tanya is beautiful. She'll bounce back. She'll end up with someone a lot better for her than you ever were. She'll do fine. Maybe we'll get through this together. She doesn't need some fat assed bag of wind holding her back."

"Nooo!" he yelled. "Please don't tell her."

Daniels started trying to talk again. "Here's the deal. My client agrees not to press charges against you. And you forget the whole thing happened."

"I'll take the charges," I said. "I also opt for a jury trial. When twelve of our peers find out why I beat the fuck out of your client, they'll have him and you tied together and tarred and feathered."

"I'll also name him in my divorce case and sue him for every fucking thing I can. I'll testify to what I saw in Tanya's divorce too," I said. "That's my plan."

The four of them put their heads together and spoke in low tones. Rick and Penny seemed to be arguing.

Finally they looked back at me. "What do you want?" they asked.

"Nothing," I said. "I won't tell Tanya anything. I give you my word on it. And I won't sue you or name you in my divorce. But you have to testify at my divorce if necessary and drop the charges. You also agree to never speak to me or come within fifty feet of me or anything of mine without my permission."

"Sold," he said, with a big smile on his face. "Hey wait a minute, I know I'm within fifty feet of HER right now but this doesn't start until I'm clear of the building right?"

"Rick, I don't care what you do with her. She's no longer mine. As far as I'm concerned, you guys can fuck each other til the cows come home. Once my divorce is settled, I'll never see her again. She's all yours. Can I go now?"

"No Donnie," screamed Penny. "No, we're not doing this."

"Willis, can you walk me down to the desk so I can get my stuff back? I need my wallet so I can get a cab home."

As I walked down the hall, all I could hear was the sound of Penny crying.

When I got home, Tanya was outside in her yard. She stepped over to the fence and spoke to me.

"Where've you been stranger?" she asked. "My husband got caught in the wrong neighborhood and got mugged. They blackened both of his eyes and broke his nose, poor baby."

"That's rough Tanya," I said. "I'm sorry to be so abrupt but I had a rough day too. I'll talk to you later."

"Hey, send your wife over," she said.

"Tanya, I don't have a wife anymore," I said. Then I went inside the house leaving her shocked.

As soon as I went into the house, the phone started ringing. I noticed that it was Penny's cell phone. The same phone that had clued me in on what she was doing. I just let it ring until voice mail picked it up. After the fifth time she called, the phone stopped and abruptly started again. This time it was Judy's home number. I picked it up so I could tell Judy to call off her daughter.

"Judy, can you..." I began.

"Honey, you have to l..." I hung up the phone.

It took about a half hour before the phone rang again. I looked at it and it was Judy's cell phone. I picked up the phone and didn't say anything.

"Donnie, Honey, are you there?" she asked.

"Hi Judy," I said.

"I had to give Penny some hot tea with a couple of sleeping pills in it," she laughed. "She's going out of her head. She's crying and screaming and blaming everybody for ruining her life."

"I'll bet," I said sadly. "But there aren't that many people to blame."

"Oh, she blames your neighbor Rick, for most of it. She says he also sold her out on that deal you agreed to. She also blames you for the way you're acting."

"How am I acting?" I asked.

"Donnie, you aren't acting the way I did," she said softly. "And that's what she expected."

"Does it ever get any better?" I asked.

"No," she said, even softer than I had. "Over time it gets worse. You begin to doubt yourself. You wonder what is it that you don't have that makes him want to be with another woman. You wonder what you're doing wrong. And you start to compare yourself to every new person that you meet. You wonder if he's going to start sleeping with her now. And over time, it gets worse because no matter how much time passes, you're never quite the same. You never regain the trust that you lost. You go through your life checking up on them. Any time he's late or not where he's supposed to be, you're imagining that he's cheating on you."

"Judy, can I tell you something?" I asked.

"Of course. We're family," she said.

"I lied to you," I said. "Back when we were trying to get you to take Ed back and go to counseling. I thought then that you should have dumped his cheating ass. But I..."

"But you told me what Penny wanted you to say, because you love her so much," she finished. "I know, Donnie. You're a terrible liar. Your mouth said one thing but your eyes said something different."

"Ed was stupid," I said. "No one that he could have ever cheated with was worth even a quarter of you."

"That runs in the family apparently," she said. "I can't believe that she'd let that disgusting fat man even near her let alone..."

"Judy, I'm really sorry but I'm not you," I said. "As badly as I'm hurting right now, I'm not going to do this. I'm not going to keep taking her back when she's only going to wait a little while and then try to pull this again. What's that line she used to talk about her dad...You can't fight nature. Maybe she got it from him but this is just something that's in her."

"I hope that isn't true," she said. "What about all of those wild animals that are trained to perform in the circus and the ones that people have as pets? I think that in some cases you can fight nature."

"But Judy, those are very rare cases and they involve a lot of work and a reward system. With those circus animals, they have to start training them when they're very young. I don't want to stand over Penny with a whip and spank her every time she acts out. I'm certainly not going to throw her a piece of steak or reward her for NOT fucking someone else. I believe her Judy. I think she's right. You and I are just stupid. You can't fight nature. Cheaters are going to cheat."

"So what does that make us?" she asked softly.

"It makes us one of two things," I said. "If we break free of it and just start our lives over. Then we are what we are by nature. We're just nice people who made a mistake and fell in love with the wrong people. In your case, you got a beautiful daughter to show for it. I have nothing, so to this point my life has been wasted. On the other hand, if we continue to put up with it, hoping against hope that they'll change, then we become suckers. We're just willing to keep sucking it up no matter what shit they throw our way. You've done your time in hell, Judy. Your next man should be someone who's worthy of you. And so should my next woman."

"Who are you talking to mother," I heard Penny ask. "Is it Donnie? Does he want to speak to me yet? Did you tell him how sorry I am? Did you tell him that it's not my fault?"

"Bye Judy," I said. "I see you have your hands full."

Over the next few days, I spoke to Judy a lot. Tanya and some of the women in the neighborhood came over and brought me food and talked to me to cheer me up. I hired an attorney and got a settlement ready. I prepared what I thought was a very fair settlement. I make a good living. I wanted to split our assets down the middle the same way a judge would. I knew that wasn't really fair to me, but I didn't want to see Penny destitute. I just had no intention of trying to save our relationship. I didn't want to have to get ugly, but if necessary, I was prepared to drag Rick's ass into court or have him sign a deposition. If matters went to the worst case scenario, I'd become an asshole if I had to. I'd just take most of the money from my accounts and leave her with whatever she could get from selling our equity in the house.

My lawyer interviewed Rick and got him to tell him everything about what happened with him and Penny. It had been going on for more than six months. He was also sure that he hadn't been the first.

I asked Judy if I could come over and talk to her and Penny. I drove over and Judy opened the door for me. I hugged her and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

Penny came over to me. "Oh honey you have no idea how much I've missed you," she said. "I..."

"Penny, I came over here to make this as easy for you as possible," I said. "I didn't want to have some stranger ambush you to serve you with the divorce papers so I brought them myself."

"No, Donnie," she screamed. "I'll stop. It won't ever happen again. You have to give me another chance. It was a mistake. I just couldn't help it. I'll go to counseling."

"Penny, it won't help," I said. "It's not like this was the first time. My lawyer interviewed Rick. We know everything. You and Rick have been going at it for over six months. And I don't think Rick was the first. How the hell could you even look me in the eye? And how could you pretend to be Tanya's friend while you were fucking her husband."

"Baby, it was only sex," she said. "You and I are so much more than that."

"You and I are so much LESS than that," I said. "We WERE so much more than that. Now all that's left is a band of gold. And that ring means nothing when the vows we spoke have been shattered."

"Donnie, please..." she began.

"No, Penny," I answered. "I won't live my life like this."

"You're just not being fair," she whined. "You're tearing my heart out. What are you going to do if I kill myself?"

"There wouldn't be anything I could do," I said. "I'd probably jump away to avoid being spattered."

"No you have to forgive me. You love me, Dammit," she whined.

"Penny, shut up," said Judy.

"Mother, stay out of this," said Penny. "He's just being unreasonable. This isn't the way this works. He just won't forgive me. This isn't the way this is supposed to work. I can't eat. I can't sleep. I love him so much. I feel like my heart is going to break."

"Boo fucking hoo," yelled Judy. I was shocked because I'd never heard her use profanity before.

"You're just like your dad, Penny," said Judy. "You act like the world revolves around you and whatever you want. I forgave your dad over and over again. And maybe you began to think that it was supposed to work like that. Donnie isn't me. You're a grown woman, so act like it. You had a perfect marriage and you fucked it up. You not only made your bed, you lay down in it and spread your legs for the wrong men. Now deal with it. This is hard on Donnie too. He's been so depressed for the past few days that I can't believe you'd do that to someone who loves you that much. Then I remembered that your father did it to me. I'm glad he's breaking free. I only wish that I had."

StangStar06
StangStar06
5,788 Followers