Zombies

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm still here, what's the address?" replied Jill.

Richard gave her the information. He could hear her typing on the keyboard and thought that she was almost as fast as he was (65 wpm). He thought to himself that if he weighed a little bit more he would probably have enough guts to ask Jill out on a date. For now he was satisfied just being able to work alongside such a great girl. "Is anything coming up?"

Static came sharp and loud and it was making Jill's voice come out choppy and muzzled. "Hold … looking… lot… anything..."

Richard held the phone closer to his ear and spoke loudly. "Jill are you there? Can you hear me? You're breaking up I couldn't understand what you just said."

The interference was gone as soon as it had come and Jill was back on. She gave her famous giggle that you couldn't help but adore and responded. "Hey, you're not going to get any info if you keep yelling into my ear like that. I found the file on Umbrella…"

Richard's phone began to squeak and scream with static, loud enough so that he pulled the phone away from his ear in pain. Meloy still driving and occasionally looking out of his window turned toward Richard with a concerned glance but didn't ask any questions. He knew that the wind destroyed the connection between the two S.T.A.R.S. members. Richard reached for the off button and pushed it hard with his skinny index finger.

"Damn I can't believe that! These things 'ill disconnect on you if you pronounce your Ps too hard!" In frustration he threw the small black phone into the back seat of the dark gray Pontiac. "Claire said she had the Umbrella file too!"

Meloy began to look out of his window, following this he took a glance at his rear-view mirror. "The wind is getting worse. When are we going to find the cross road?"

Richard stretched himself over to peak at Meloy's mileage gauge. "How many miles have we gone so far?"

Meloy took a quick glance at the numbers behind the steering wheel and began to calculate things out. "It's been at least ten miles since we reached the thick part of the forest."

Quickly Richard did the math and not even really thinking about it said. "It'll take us another 15 miles before we reach a dirt road. From there we drive another five miles and we'll run into a gate, I'll use this to open it." Richard produced a small brass key out from his shirt pocket near his chest.

Meloy looked surprised. "Where did you get that?"

"I got it from the good Mayor himself, it just arrived today in the morning."

Sounds suspicious Meloy said. "Why does? The Mayor of the city having a copy to the Umbrella facility?"

Trying to sound sarcastic and condescending Richard said. "I guess for just such an emergency. I tell you, I don't think there's anything to worry about. We're going to go down to the Umbrella Facility talk to mister Flagg and his staff; find out there's been a terrible misunderstanding with that man in the hospital, you'll see. After if you still feel suspicious you can have a look around the place until you're satisfied. Then after, we go out and get a slice of pie and coffee at Marlene's diner. Sound good?"

Meloy feeling calm and confident said. "Right, first we get to this here secret hideout, ask to speak to Mister Flagg. Get permission the hard-way to have a little looksie around the premises just to make sure everything's in order. Discover he's been testing toxic drugs on victims he's been kidnapping. Go to Marlene's have a piece of pie and coffee, sounds good, yeah, I like that.

Richard began to wonder if there really was something to discover at the research facility. Questions began to pop up in Richards mind. The whole idea of a place way out there seems creepy, good thing I have King Kong here to protect me. Richard looked at Meloy's stature real quick and while doing so made a sigh of relief.

Meloy could hear Richard's sigh and asked. "Are you okay with this job? I know you're new. If you like, I could do this one alone while you stay in the car and try to contact Claire."

Richard felt ashamed and quickly tried to strike that notion out of Meloy's mind. "No, that's alright, I just want to hurry up with this job so that we can get back and get a slice of pie that's all. I'm getting pretty hungry." To make his cover up sound truthful Richard added a nervous chuckle, which didn't sound very genuine.

6

On Holly Street people were walking while covering their eyes to shield themselves from the flying debris. Within the hour the wind had taken on high speeds and was using the city's trash to throw the people in a frenzy to be in doors. There were many people walking since noon, everyone rushing to their favorite restaurants to eat as fast as they could to get back to work on time. There were quite a few restaurants around the surrounding area, mostly catering to the staff of St. Joseph's Hospital.

Inside the hospital however was a different story. Things were quiet and people were calm, nobody was in a hurry to do anything or go anywhere. There were no major traumas to take care of, there was only serenity. Most doctors were making their rounds, some were talking and shooting the breeze in-between checking on patients but one particular doctor was on the phone with the hospital's coroner.

Jim Furuli had been debating with himself on whether he should call the coroner or just abandon his hopes of learning about what happened to his former patient. He worked for an hour straight before he gave up the forced effort of forgetting and headed to his medium-sized office. When he got there he closed the heavy door behind him and locked it. Flicked off the main light switch and turned his desk light on. He closed his eyes and massaged them with his fingertips. Looking at the phone with frustration Richard Furuli picked up the phone and dialed the coroner's extension number.

7

The coroner whose name is James Bolvdeck was sitting down on a small wooden stool in front of a corps he wasn't yet done examining. He had been working on a firefighters charred body before he had realized he was due for a break twenty minutes ago. He walked over to his locker adjacent to the autopsy room and grabbed his igloo chest cooler out from under a thick jacket he had taken off in the morning. When he opened the small cooler, he pushed aside a banana and hoagie sandwich and reached for one of two Coca-Cola cans and closed the little igloo and returned it to its place in the locker. Just beginning to enjoy his break James noticed a shrieking sound coming from the next-door autopsy room. James almost dropped his coke and realized that the phone was ringing. James thought it must be his wife or maybe a friend who wanted to have lunch. On the other hand he thought it might be work related but he was betting on his former guesses. Not too many things go on in a small city like Raccoon City and James was just fine with that fact. He thought about it somewhat grudgingly and made his way to the phone. He opened the door letting out the smell of death and passively glanced at the burned corpse lying on the table with a y cut into his chest. He sat his soda down alongside the corpse since he wouldn't have to worry about the fireman taking a sip while he would be on the phone.

Some people would shrink back at the idea of setting down anything edible next to a dead body but once you've been a coroner for 20 years death doesn't look as scary as it once did. James was surprised at how many people asked him about the gruesome parts of his job. Questions about organ extractions and mangled bodies, the obese and things of that kind. People asked him the strangest questions about his job; he forgot how it felt to be curious about death since he had observed so much about it during his lengthy career.

James had almost reached the phone when he knew it wasn't going to be a friend inviting him out to lunch just as he knew that it wasn't going to be his wife asking him to buy chicken before coming home latter that day. "Hello, Bolvdeck speaking." A man spoke to James slowly and nervously and he didn't recognize the voice of the man who was trying to get a certain point out but obviously having some trouble doing so. "Is everything alright Jim? How's your wife doing? She's alright isn't she?" Some more nervous chatter came out of the phone's receiver. Something about a patient that James was supposed to check out. The call was over the patient with a peculiar skin condition. "Oh I think I know the one that you're talking about. Why all the concern? Is there something you're not telling me Jim? Maybe you can help yourself and let me in on whatever you're holding back. James thought that Jim was giving him all questions and no answers. Jim swore there wasn't anything to be concerned about but the tone of his voice told a different story. "I'm sorry Jim I can't help you; I'm waiting for some people to give me some help overlooking this particular body. You're not the only one who has his eye on it. The Mayor himself made a special request that I hold off and wait for some doctors who work for some a company that may shine some light on our friends strange skin condition. They're should be here in about 4 hours or so. I can keep you posted if you want. Sure thing, all right bye."

8

The S.T.A.R.S. issued car slowly drove up to a heavy wooden fence and stopped. The wind had picked up considerably within the last half hour. Across town parents brought their children in from playing in backyards and ridding bikes on the streets.

Meloy was in his seat looking around taking in the scenery but not for the pleasure but for any suspicious activity. Meloy thought he'd better take a little peep and make sure there weren't any more victims lying around dead. Leave it to Meloy to make sure things were running on the up and up. The closer the both of them got to the house the more Richard believed some of Meloy's suspicions.

Richard took the little brass key out of his pocket and held it up for the both of them to see. "I guess I'll do the honors." Richard slowly reached for the door handle and before operating it he gave a final look out the windows and then opened the door. The ground was very absorbent, no doubt to recent rainy weather. An ugly thought ran through Richards mind as he was noticing the soft texture of the dark ground. What if it were to start raining right now? Rain plus this crazy wind and on top of that we have to still get to the facility. Doesn't seem very appealing but we have to go. There isn't that many clouds, it won't rain tonight. I hope. Richard picked up speed and made a slow jog toward the rest of the way to the lock. The lock was also brass just like the key; it was the biggest looking lock Richard had ever seen in his entire life. "What the heck! Hey Meloy look at this thing, I wonder how Jehovah's Witnesses get in haha." The lock gave no trouble opening up and the tumblers inside seemed recently greased with oil. The double-door gate itself presented more of a problem, it took all of Richard's strength to pull apart. Richard now gaining composure and feeling gratified over his making a joke at a time he was feeling nervous walked back to the car and sat down next to Meloy who would give the occasional look around to make sure no perps were sneaking up on the both of them. Meloy looked over at Richard while giving his tuff grin and said. "Good workout? Let's get going before the wind gets too bad."

"I'm with you let's go, the sooner the better. It's about 2 miles more before we reach the compound."

9

The car twisted and turned down a narrow dusty road. Off to both sides dark grass grew abundantly. The grass was thin and knee high; it was quite thick, enough to where you couldn't see the ground. Eddies of dust flew around the approaching outsiders as a final warning. It would rain that night but the two detectives would never see the first drops fall. Grass and dead foliage danced devilishly around the car in a macabre ritual.

10

When they arrived at the facility Meloy parked in front of the huge mansion about 17 feet away from the first steps leading up to the thick wood front door. Richard looked at Meloy and said. "Let's make this quick alright?" Meloy looked from the colossal mansion to Richard and agreed to a degree. "Yeah, but not too fast, we'll make sure that everything is running the way it should be and then we'll go." As an after thought Richard threw in. "That's what I meant, let's go. Are you ready?" Meloy's made his answer by opening his door and stepping out onto the fertile ground. He shut his door and adjusted his gun holster. Richard looked from Meloy to the front Door and then to the handle of the police issued car and pulled it. Richard was a little bit slower getting out and he slowly jogged to catch up to Meloy who had begun to climb the steps. He was just about to get to the first step himself when one of the two doors opened up and a tall broad shouldered man looked at the at the two officers with an omniscient facial expression.

"You must be the detectives I presume?" My name is Randolph Flagg nice to meet your acquaintance. My associates and I are working on some very important business right now and shouldn't be disturbed at this time. Didn't the mayor get into touch with you and tell you that the investigation would put onto a hold? Richard almost reeled back and fell off the threshold from which he was standing but gained his balance and looked to Meloy who had his back to him. Meloy didn't waver for even a second, but only realized that he was at his height of suspicions and would not be leaving the premises anytime soon. "We didn't get that call Mr. Flagg, which means we come in." With a hint of a smile Meloy continued. "By any means necessary." Mr. Flagg didn't continue speaking but looked incredulously at Meloy the gargantuan and realized there was going to be no stopping him. As a last attempt Mr. Flagg uttered his final protests. "The mayor and Umbrella are very closely related and I don't know if you would want to be crossing either. I advise you to leave now and take up the matter with your superiors, Good day gentl...." Meloy outstretched his massive arm and stopped Mr. Flagg from closing the door and that's when it happened. A keen piercing noise came out from behind the detectives and all three men froze to see what had mad the sharp cry. It seemed to be coming from the direction of the car and Richard was first to realize that it was the cell phone he had thrown in the back seat after being frustrated when it disconnected the two S.T.A.R.S. members from their official business conversation. Mr. Flagg looked at Richard hopefully and Richard looked at Meloy as if to say: What do you want me to do big guy you're in charge of this show? Meloy just looked back at Richard and said. "That could be Claire."

Richard didn't want to leave Meloy with Flagg even though Meloy was fully capable of taking down the oversized scientists. He decided to go for it; he quickly made his way down the steps and towards the car. He tried to open the back door but it was locked, he was lost in thought about what to do when he tried the passenger door and it opened right up for him. He jumped knees first on the seat and bent over the seat to search for the ringing phone. By this time it had already rang 7 times and he hoped whoever it was calling him would not hang up. It was nowhere on the seats so he had to practically dive over the front-seat to be able to search the floors for the phone that would not let itself be discovered without a fight. Both hands scrambling over each other trying to grab onto anything and finally they snatched onto what they were looking for, immediately he pushed the familiar button that would allow him to communicate with whoever was so desperately tiring to get into touch with him. Since it first started the phone had rung another 3 times but it was ok because he was now speaking to the person who had wanted to speak to him with some very alarming news.

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to come in Mr. Flagg, there's no use trying to stop me. "Mr. Flagg looked at Richard intently and then looked at Meloy with glee and said. "Detective it's just that my colleagues and I were looking at some very interesting specimens and did not want to be disturbed but if it's all that important please come in."

Meloy looked at the man curiously and let himself be invited through the very thick wood doors. "I'll just close these doors so that the heat doesn't get out, I'm sure you've noticed that the weather has been murder lately. Meloy didn't seem to notice what Mr. Flagg had just said and began the interrogation. "What type of experiments goes on in a place like this?"

Mr. Flagg's eyes sharpened and his jaws clamped down and he gave a big smile to the detective and said. "It would be best if I showed you, please come this way." Before Mr. Flagg had a chance to lead Meloy out of the main hall Meloy flatly refused. "I think I'll wait for my partner Mr. Flagg." Mr. Flagg could not take no for an answer, the continuation of his studies depended on his working quickly. "Don't worry detective I'll return for your friend while one of my colleagues shows you what we do out here in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure you'll be very surprised indeed." And he said this last part as you would expect a mad scientist would in an old Frankenstein movie. Also when he had finished he headed for a door that was a few feet away from himself and began to turn the knob. "Meloy looked alarmed because he knew that Flagg was trying to rush him for some reason, he wondered whether it would be unreasonable to pull his firearm out at this point or not but he had to do something. "Hold on. I said hold on god damn it!" But Flagg was already closing the door behind him and Meloy could hear Flagg pick up the pace. "He's running!" Meloy looked at the door that Flagg had just made his escape and thought of what he should do. Pulling his gun from its holster Meloy uttered under his breath. "Damn!" Meloy did exactly as Mr. Flagg had hopped for and followed in after him.

Meanwhile Richard was on the phone with Claire trying to figure out what she was saying. Claire's voice was coming out in squeaks and chirps. "What happened to you guys I was going to tell.... about...character?" Richard could feel his muscles tense up and cursed under his breath. "Claire say again, do you hear me Claire?" In a clear voice Claire responded. "I said what happened to you guys? I was about to tell you what I have on Randolph Flagg." Richard quickly retorted. "Let's not beat around the bush Claire be quick about any information you have before I loose you again." Claire cleared her throat and recited in her own words what the files had brought up. "Ok, there's not very much here, but what is here is of importance. If you're to come across this Mr. Randolph Flagg you're to apprehend him and hand him over to the FBI for questioning. It just mentions that he might be involved in illegal chemical experiments but it doesn't give any details, huh, that's unusual." Richard wide-eyed turned around expecting to see his partner and an over-sized scientist trying to block the entry. What he saw instead though was a double door entryway and it was closed. In a panicking voice Richard told Claire. "Claire I'll have to call you back. I don't see Meloy." Before Claire could protest Richard hung up the phone.

When Meloy opened the door he stepped into a very narrow and long hallway that had five doors all except one made of wood, the last one at the end of the hallway looked like an elevator because there was a type of metal grating instead of a door. As quickly as he could Meloy tried to think of where this doctor could have gone. Not in the elevator because he didn't have time, besides I didn't hear anything. Meloy slowly walked trying not to make much noise and looked at the first door, which was to his left. He re-gripped his gun (now starting to perspire greatly) and with his left hand gripped the doorknob and slowly turned it. The knob stopped turning and Meloy took a deep breath and then swung the door opened took a quick look and whipped his head back to safety. In terror Meloy agonized. It's another hallway that ran perfectly straight. More doors maybe just two but their was a cross hallway around the middle. Meloy now starting to panic thought of whether he should enter or if he should close the door and take a look into the other rooms first. He decided to close the door and did it as fast as he could. He approached the next door that was now to his right. Slowly, ever so slowly Meloy turned the knob so as not to let Flagg hear his approach. If Flagg was actually in that room or not Meloy had no idea. He took a heavy swallow and waited until the knob couldn't turn any further. This time he threw the door open even faster than the first time and it hit against the wall sending the handle into the plaster a smacking sound as it sunk into the wall. Meloy jumped into the doorway aiming his weapon and what ever would move but there was nothing there. Actually there were many things to see in this particular room except Meloy could not see any of them for the light was off. In total despair Meloy thought he was going to be sick. He's here in the dark and he's aiming his gun at me, he's going to shoot.

123456...8