A Broken Heart Ch. 08

Story Info
The conclusion.
3.1k words
4.71
69.1k
42

Part 8 of the 8 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 04/18/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Heidi laid in bed, the lights were out but she couldn't fall asleep. Jake hadn't come home yet. He always came home right after work, not even a moment late, but it was already dark and he hadn't come home yet.

Lying as intently awake as she was, and the night being so still and silent, she had no trouble hearing the car as soon as it pulled into the driveway. She listened to his steady gate coming up the stairs, until he was flicking on the bedroom light.

She sat up and looked at him expectantly. The look on his face was a mixture of anger and hurt resignation, and Heidi didn't know whether to be wary of him or to go wrap him in her arms.

"Jake?" she questioned hesitantly, sitting up.

"Are you in love with this Ben guy?" Jake asked, his voice determinedly steady. Heidi couldn't detect the least bit of emotion in his voice; his words came out painfully flat.

"What?" Heidi said in complete shock. Why would she be sleeping with him if she were in love with Ben? She shook her head in slow denial, but he wasn't looking at her.

"You were with him Monday, but you lied about it."

Heidi was confused. She couldn't remember telling him that she hadn't seen Ben. "I don't know what you're talking about," Heidi said hesitantly. Jake came over to sit on the edge of the bed.

"On the phone, I thought you sounded jumpy, but I reasoned that it was just my imagination."

Heidi remembered. It was the day she went to see her mother and step-father. She had been trying to hide something from him, just not what he'd guessed.

"I also heard that you took $10,000 out of our account."

Heidi's face went blank. "I-I," she stumbled over her words, she was going to tell him, but it was too late now, he had already found out on his own.

He shook his head, "I suppose I can't blame you for ruining our marriage, not when you didn't want to be in it in the first place."

Ruined? Heidi questioned to herself, Did that mean it was over? She could feel the tears rising to her eyes, but fought to keep them down. Things had gone so wrong so quickly, and she knew it was her fault. She had been prepared for Jake to come in here raving and screaming at her, but she wasn't quite sure what to make of this quiet acceptance.

"The thing I don't understand is, if you were planning to run away with him, why did you suddenly become all friendly toward me?"

"What?" Heidi parroted her earlier response, too shocked to say anything else. What was he talking about?

"Oh come on, I'm not stupid. The minute I was away, you snuck off to Ben with $10,000. Were you planning on taking Fitzroy with you, or leaving him here? Is he the reason you came back?"

Heidi stared at him, her face blank with shock. Jake stood up and started paced away from her, dragging his hands through his hair. "Just tell me the truth, Heidi," his voice was defeated, "I promise I won't be angry. I just want to know the truth."

Heidi's voice stuck in her throat, although she opened her mouth to tell him. Instead of telling him what he wanted to hear, she burst into tears. Heidi wasn't really sure why she was crying, probably all the suppressed emotions finally coming to the surface.

Through her blurry vision, she saw Jake walk over to her and kneel down in front of her. "Don't cry, Heidi," he pleaded, grasping her hand and kissing her knee. "Whatever you want to do, we'll do," he promised, "I love you," his voice was husky.

The words only made Heidi burst out into a new set of tears. "You do?"

"Didn't you know?" he asked her ruefully.

Heidi cried out and through herself into his arms, hugging his neck tightly. "I love you," she managed to tell him through her sobs. "I love you. I love you," she said over and over again, holding him tightly to her.

He squeezed her just as tightly, pressing his lips to her neck and hair. "I didn't think I would ever hear you say those words," he breathed into her ear. He held her against his chest, letting her calm down and her tears dry. Even after she stopped crying, they simply sat on the floor for a long while, Heidi lying snugly in his lap.

"I wasn't going to run away with Ben," she finally told him, her head fit snugly under his chin.

He squeezed her, "What did you need the money for, sweetheart?" he asked her gently.

Heidi lowered her eyes in shame, but quietly spoke. "My mom and step dad showed up."

He stiffened slightly, remembering that she did not have a good relationship with them. "And you gave them the money?" He felt her nod against his chest. "But why?" he asked earnestly.

Heidi felt herself blush with shame. She wasn't strong enough to stand up to her parents, and now Jake would find out how pathetic and weak she was. But she had to do it, for her son. "I couldn't let them hurt Fitzroy, Jake," she pulled slightly back from him to look pleadingly up into his eyes. "I'm sorry I took your money, but I had to. I'm sorry."

Jake's face held a furious scowl, and Heidi curled into herself, afraid that he was angry with her. "Explain that please," his voice held barely controlled fury.

"They found us at the park. They said if I gave them some money, they would stay away from me and Fitzroy forever. I thought it would just be easier to give it to them. I'm sorry," she looked down at her lap. She had pulled slightly away from his chest while she spoke, and Jake suddenly pulled her back snugly against him.

"You don't have anything to be sorry about," he reassured her, stroking her hair. "It's those two that did something wrong." Heidi snuggled back against him, reassured that his anger was not directed at her. "Did they threaten Fitz?" he asked coldly.

"Not in so many words," Heidi remembered that frightful day in the park. "Carl said something about seeing Fitz again soon, and it scared me. I can't let that man anywhere near my son," she couldn't keep the pure hatred out of her voice as she thought about Carl and what he had almost done.

Jake didn't miss the venom in her voice, and his heart clenched thinking about what her step-father had done to make her hate him so much. "You can tell me the truth, Heidi," he kept his voice gentle despite the anger he felt for the other man, "I know you're downplaying what he did to you while you were still living with him." He remembered her saying it wasn't so bad, which was obviously a lie.

Heidi looked up into Jake's eyes, the eyes of the man she loved. She could see his carefully controlled fury and his protective concern for her. She wanted to tell him, she had kept it inside so long. "It really wasn't so bad," she reassured him. "Like I said before, he only hit me once in a while." She laid her head back against his shoulder, drawing strength from him. "But then after graduation, I started to show." Jake thought about her back then, how scared she must have been when she got pregnant. He wished he was there for her, and cursed himself for being an idiot. "I wore baggy clothes and stuff at first, but of course mom and Carl found out eventually. They were furious with me, calling me a slut and ranting and raving."

Jake couldn't control the guilt he felt, that she was punished for something that he did to her. "Carl," her voice broke slightly, but she continued, "He said that he would fix it, that he would get rid of the baby," the tears were rolling down her cheeks, and Heidi was surprised that she had any tears left. "I tried to run away, but he grabbed me. He punched me in the stomach, hard."

Jake stared down at her head in horror; the man had tried to kill their baby. "I thought he was dead. I ran away as fast as I could, but I thought he was dead," she wailed slightly, remembering her fear and shock. Her baby might have been unplanned, but it was not unwanted. It was her son growing inside her, and she planned to protect him and love him forever.

After a few minutes, she calmed down slightly. "I was so relieved when I found out he was alright," Heidi breathed.

"What did you do?" Jake asked, picturing her all alone and penniless.

"I went back to my room later when I knew they wouldn't be home. I took all my saving and rented a really cheep apartment and found two jobs. I worked all the time and saved up for when the baby would come. I probably wouldn't have made it if Fran hadn't been there to help me," Heidi said, remembering the support of her first real friend, "And then later Ben."

Jake thought about all that she had went through on her own, and was so proud of her. Yet she shouldn't have had to deal with all that, he should have been there. "Why didn't you call me?" he asked, though he knew the answer. "At the very least, you could have made me pay child support, or something. Heidi..." he wanted to tell her how much he cared about her, even back then. How he would have taken care of her, given her everything she needed.

"I was afraid of you, Jake," Heidi said reasonably, "I even thought I hated you," she stroked his hair in her hands. Jake felt ashamed of himself, of course she feared and hated him.

"I'm so sorry, Heidi," he said, squeezing her to him.

Heidi shook her head. "It turns out, that was the best thing that ever happened to me. Now I have Fitzroy, and you." Jake wondered at the amazing beautiful woman who loved him, who forgave him. "And I'm glad it was you who was my first, and not someone else, like Mike. And remember, that wasn't the only thing you did that night. You saved me from those other men." Heidi wrapped her arms around him. True, he had forced her to have sex with him that night, and she had been angry with him, but truth be told, it hadn't felt like rape, not really. He hadn't hurt her. She had been more shocked than anything else.

"You know, I was actually pretty angry with you that night. I wanted to take you to prove how much better I was for you than that asshole boyfriend of yours was. I wanted to show you what you were missing." He chuckled derisively. "Shows you what an arrogant prick I was back then, doesn't it?"

Heidi grinned and nodded. "But why were you mad at me?"

"I was mad that you would go out with that Mike guy, but you wouldn't go out with me."

Heidi pulled away and stared at him in shock. "But you never asked to go out with me."

Jake sighed. "Yeah I did."

"When?" Heidi asked incredulously.

Jake looked a bit embarrassed, and Heidi couldn't quite believe it. "Well, I guess I might as well tell you now. In ninth grade you sat next to me in study hall. I kept trying to talk to you, but you just usually blew me off. I didn't think there was anyway you didn't like me, and I assumed you were just shy. Then one day I decided just to ask you out on a date, but flat out refused. I realized that you just didn't like me, and it hurt my feelings, especially since I'd had a crush on you in junior high."

Heidi was shocked at this new enlightenment. Jake had had a crush on her! He'd asked her out! After he reminded her, Heidi vaguely remembered ninth grade study hall. "But I thought you were just making fun of me."

"Never," Jake denied.

Heidi laughed, and poked him in the ribs. "You had a crush on me?" she asked, infinitely pleased. She had always thought of herself as so unattractive back at the beginning of high school and especially junior high.

"Yeah, you little minx," he smiled at her pleasure, tickling her stomach lightly. "I was so jealous when I heard the gossip around school that you were dating some older guy. When I saw you at that bar, I was pissed off. I went there to drink, but I mostly ended up just watching you. You didn't even notice me, and I was about to leave when I saw that boyfriend of yours drag you into that back room."

He had been there the whole time, watching her? "And you came and got me," she finished for him, "Did you really have a crush on me in high school?" Heidi was finding it hard to believe that she had had a secret admirer and she hadn't even suspected anything. She had thought of him as such a shallow jock, but she didn't even know him, and he had liked her.

"Yeah, I had a crush on you," he admitted. "I was so mad that you were dating that guy, and I thought for sure that you were sleeping with him. I remembered back in junior high when you were so innocent, and in pissed me off that you were giving your innocence to that guy."

Heidi blushed. She though about her resolve to finally sleep with Mike, and was infinitely grateful that she hadn't gone through with it. Jake suddenly grew quite serious. "Then when I found out you were a virgin, I realized that I had just done what I hated that other guy for. I couldn't control how guilty I felt. I didn't know if I should stay, but you were so upset, I figured you'd want me to go."

He looked so ashamed of himself that Heidi's heart wrenched. She cupped his face in her palm, and stared into his eyes. "Don't beat yourself up, we've both made mistakes. I'm just glad you love me and I love you and we both finally know it now."

Jake kissed her, soft and warm on the lips. "But didn't you know I loved you? I'd told you before, remember?" he asked.

Heidi blushed, "I thought you'd changed your mind, after you found out how I'd lied to you about Fitz," she said demurely.

"What, you think my love is so weak that I could just change my mind. I've loved you for years, Heidi, and I'll never stop."

Heidi's heart fluttered in her chest. "Well, I didn't know that."

"Now you do," he kissed her forehead.

Heidi nodded in agreement, "Now I do."

"Tell me you love me," Jake demanded.

"I love you," Heidi happily obliged, kissing him softly on the lips. Jake deepened the kiss, wrapping his arms securely around her waist and lifting her up on the bed.

*** Epilogue:

Heidi stood behind the counter of her recently opened antique store. It was just how she had imagined it, a quaint, charming little shop. Fitz played quietly behind the counter in a little place she had set up for him so he wouldn't run around breaking things. She liked coming in herself to man the store, but knew she would soon have to hire someone because she would be too busy.

"How's it going?" Ben walked into the store. Heidi smiled at him. Ben and Fran often stopped by for a chat, since the both frequented the area so much, and she was always happy to see them.

"Ben!" Fitzroy yelled happily, running to his old buddy. Ben bent down and lifted him up in the air before setting him back to his feet.

"Hey, Heidi," Ben walked over to her, "Just thought I'd stop by and say hello."

"Hello," Heidi smiled cheerfully at him. "I'm glad you're here, I actually have some news."

"Oh?" Ben asked, leaning his elbows against the counter, "Well let's have it."

"I'm pregnant!" Heidi smiled, giving a little bounce of her knees. She had just found out two days ago.

Ben froze for a second, but then grinned. "I thought you looked different," he teased her gently.

Heidi rolled her eyes. "Oh, like you could tell."

"Congratulations," he said, leaning over and giving her a kiss on the cheek. "I'm glad everything worked out for you," he became suddenly serious, which was rare for him, "You seem happy."

"I am," Heidi glowed, "Life has never been so perfect."

He walked around the counter and pulled her into his arms, hugging her tightly. And just when Heidi started wondering why the hug was lasting so long he pulled away. He stared into her eyes for a long moment, making Heidi uncomfortable. Was that a hint of regret she saw in his eyes? But then all of a sudden he was his normal carefree self, and Heidi thought she must have imagined it.

"I'm guessing you're hoping for a girl this time?" he asked over his shoulder as he started milling around the store.

"I don't really care what it is, though Jake wants a little girl."

"And what about you Fitzy," he said, leaning over the boy, "Do you want a baby sister?"

Fitzroy scrunched up his face, "Yuck."

Ben threw back his head and laughed. "Well, I actually have to get going." He walked over to the door, looking over his shoulder, "Bye, Heidi."

"See you," Heidi waved at her friend.

Fitz waved too, "Bye, bye."

Heidi sat down on her little stool and picked up her novel. In half an hour she would go home. She smiled thinking about it. Nothing had quelled Jake's lust for her in the past months, and hopefully nothing ever would. Her pussy twitched involuntarily as she thought about going to bed with him that night. She hadn't been lying when she told Ben that life was perfect, it was.

(Note: Well, that's the end. I hope you enjoyed it, and I really appreciate all the feedback. Thanks for reading. ~cellophanesmile:)