From the Ashes: CATU Book 6 Ch. 01

Story Info
Needed.
788 words
8.9k
00

Part 2 of the 27 part series

Updated 08/30/2017
Created 04/01/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Washington D.C.

A KNOCK RAPS ON THE DOOR bringing Spencer out of a troubled sleep. He blinks open his eyes a couple times but refuses to usher his body up from the sofa. The knock comes again and he lets out a sigh before forcing himself to sit up.

"Reeds!" a voice comes from the other side of the door. "Damn it Reeds I know you're in there. Now get off your fucking ass and open this door."

He recognizes the voice. It belongs to his boss, Mike Grines. "Alright already!" he yells back. Spencer pushes himself from the sofa and walks steadily to the door.

Grines continues to beat on the door until Spencer finally opens it. "Reeds," he says upon seeing Spencer. "You look like total shit."

"Yeah," he answers as he turns around leaving his boss at the door. Grines grins and walks in closing the door behind him. By the time Grines reaches the living room Spencer is already back on the sofa. The place looks like no one has lived in it.

"Please have a seat," Spencer says offering up a chair off to the side of the sofa.

Grines nods and takes his seat. He looks at Spencer for a moment. "I actually figured this place would be a mess or even more you a mess," he comments.

Spencer reaches up to scratch his four day old beard. "Yeah I have been meaning to shave."

"I mean this place is clean, immaculate even."

"I'm dealing with Sam's death in my own way boss, but I don't see a reason to destroy the place in the process," Spencer snaps.

"Hey I couldn't agree with you more," Grines says waving his hands in the air.

"Then what can I do for you?" Spencer asks, clearly not in the mood for a visit from his boss or anyone else. "My leave isn't up already."

"No, but I am here to call you back sooner than I promised," he answers with a frown. "We are all at a loss with Sam gone, but the world out there hasn't stopped and to be honest you are the best we have."

"Don't you realize I know it hasn't stopped," Spencer says raising his voice slightly higher for the first time. "Put me out there so we can end this."

"I can't so long as you aim to only seek out those responsible for Sam's death," Grines warns. It is the same conversation he had with Spencer a month ago and what led to Grines putting him on leave.

"Like I said before I will end this. Those who are behind everything happening are those behind her murder," Spencer argues. "It's this way or I won't be coming back and I will do it on my own."

Grines' face locks tightly. "I just as soon will let you do that as I would to hand you over to the Black List." Spencer's face lights up slightly and Grines continues before he has a chance to say anything. "But, you will do it my way and you will do it right."

"I suppose I have no other choice," he remarks.

"No you do not."

"When do we start?"

"I have you on a flight to New York tomorrow morning," Grines answers.

"What's in New York?"

"A Detective Veris of the NYPD."

"Angela Veris?" Spencer questions as his attention picks up.

"Yes. She contacted the FBI about a case she has been working on and when Natalya, as we suspect, caused a fight in the streets. The information was sent straight to Director Todd Nichols and then over to us. I figured with you knowing Miss Veris I'd send you."

Spencer stands up to walk behind the sofa where the two rare swords, Kotetsu and Kogarasu Maru, belonging to Sam and Julie respectively sit. He runs his finger across the sword in deep thought. He had not seen Angela since college. They had plans to join the FBI together, but when her mother died she stayed to help out her father and eventually joined the police force herself.

Spencer had since lost contact with her and hadn't really thought about her until now. He scratches his beard once again lost in thought until Grines clears his throat loudly. Spencer looks at the man as he stands up. "You can find your way out right?"

Grines nods and starts for the door. "I won't disappoint you boss," Spencer says just before Grines walks out the door.

"That's not what I'm afraid of," he says back but his words falls on deaf ears. He knows Spencer will get the job done, but he just hopes it isn't a bloody mess when it's over.

Share this Story

Similar Stories

Russian Winter: CATU Book 2 Ch. 01 Terror strikes US soil.in Novels and Novellas
Malevolence: CATU Book 4 Ch. 00 Preparationin Novels and Novellas
Accession: CATU Book 5 Ch. 00 Confusion.in Novels and Novellas
Rising Tide: CATU Book 3 Ch. 00 What happens to a nosy agent?in Novels and Novellas
Ghosts: CATU Book 01 Ch. 01 What happens when the President's daughter is kidnapped?in Novels and Novellas
More Stories