All Comments on 'A Nerd's Genie'

by skyink93

Sort by:
  • 28 Comments
Sid0604Sid0604over 9 years ago
Thank you...

I enjoyed reading this 1st chapter and look forward to reading the rest of your story. Thank you for sharing.

FerrumitzalFerrumitzalover 9 years ago

One of my favorite types of stories and a very solid bit of writing. I'm looking forward to the next ten or fifteen chapters. Hurry up.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Same story better editing.

Golden Wishes Ch. 00 Prologue

byDataGrowth©

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Good prologue

Well it is a nice prologue, but also a teaser.

Please deliver more now, since you captured an audience :)

angiesloverangiesloverover 9 years ago
great start

Great start, our only thought is please finish the story so many start and never finish,

like the aforementioned golden wishes, and so on

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Awesome start!

Don't leave us hanging!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Copycat ???

The story is Golden Wishes chapter 00, I hope the rest of it will be something original instead of only a rewrite of an authors work..

redlion75redlion75over 9 years ago

great a story with a genius getting beat up for 3yrs because he cant figure out how to call the state police or the feds to complain about a crooked city police force.since the is supposed to be at michigan uni. then the aclu should have an office every 5ft.

disableddandisableddanover 9 years ago
If this is supposed to be Michigan

The college town is Ann Arbor, not 'Ann Harbor'.

skyink93skyink93over 9 years agoAuthor
Thank you for your comments.

disableddan: Thank you. I am horrible about this kind of thing. Grammatical and typo's are a constant with my work. That said, if this kind of thing is an irritant for any of you I would suggest you read no further. As I really have tried for awhile to find an editor. I don't wish to waste more time in the effort.

Redlion75: Hold your horses mate! :-) I promise the story is going somewhere.

Anon: Yes this story is based on The author's work of Golden Wishes. I made notes several months ago about the story when I saw the author was not continuing his/her work. Datagrowth, btw if you wish to look them up. And yes, I believe they did a much better job than I have. My notes at the time did not contain the authors name nor the name of the work it was based on. That was an oversite of mine, I apologize. I will be making a note of it when I resubmit the work. I must have remembered something of the work because my notes did not have the characters name. I started using "Jason" on my own, but I am guessing that was more a subconscious action.

The starting chapter is only about 15-20 complete. Then I have to do a first edit, then I will submit it. Probably about a week or so from now.

Thank you for reading my long AZZ post,

Sky.

rightbankrightbankover 9 years ago
There should be rules to prohibit this kind of posting

imho this is not even a prologue. Author Caveats are often longer and more detailed than the few words shown here.

Another rule should REQUIRE the Tags to at least reflect the text submitted.

.

TJSkywindTJSkywindover 9 years ago
Agreed on the similarities

I like the start. It's rougher in format than Golden Wishes by Datagrowth. I find it's different enough that it can skirt plagiarism -- though not by much.

All that said, even though it's only been six months, the other storyline seems dead. I see this sometimes. Someone starts a profile, submits a story or three, then nothing, like they fell of the face of the Earth: there's little or nothing in their profile data, rarely anything in their bio section, and no favorites; and yes, if I like a writer's story, I check to see what THEY like and maybe find more gems. Again, it appears that Datagrowth posted the three short chapters and then nothing since June 2014. That's not a long time, but the other stories were posted within days of each other.

Also, most of the names of the guilty are at least slightly different, too. Matt for Mitchell, Sloan for Surge, in college for a few years and terrorized for that time, cop dad protecting bully, secretly pining for girl who deserves better (Dawn vs Quincey). Locations, are different, too -- Michigan for Florida -- though keeping the location as Ann Harbor has a sort of mystique. Kind of like North Haven vs Haven in Maine, if that means anything.

I did something similar to this many years ago and it was my first online fiction posting. The difference is that I contacted the writer about her unfinished tale -- at that time, two years had gone by -- and she generously agreed to let me finish the work. So I did, she liked what I wrote, posted it on her site and shared writing credit.

From what you wrote, you skipped that step.

The fiction here is free, but it is copyrighted. Celebrity fiction can get away with using characters from popular media. Recycling stories is a lot more dangerous. There are enough differences -- thus far -- to say this is inspired by but not a copy of the other tale. It's a fine line, though, and I recommend highly that you do your due diligence to avoid problems in the future. The genie is loose so to speak, so please! Continue on.

I'm not an editor but if you want a reader to do comments and proofread a little, drop me a message. I try to check my email every few days. Besides reading, writing my own stories, running two role playing games, heraldry and cartography projects, I am passably edu-ma-cated, but none of my degrees are in English. Since I've been laid off recently, I do seem to have a bit more time at the moment.

The proviso is that if I help you, you finish the tale. Like others, I hate getting into a potentially good series only to have it hang in empty space. Sometimes it can't be helped, as in the unfortunate recent passing of the talented Callicious. Most times it's just silence, which is incredibly frustrating.

Like you, I have struggled to find an editor and my own writing has suffered accordingly. It takes a special mindset to be able to edit your own work down to perfection. Asimov apparently did one rough draft and one final draft. I'm nowhere near that good. I don't promise to catch everything, but I will help as best I can. You should be able to link to my profile and send a message to me. We can go from there, or not, as you wish.

Parting advice: Ray Bradbury used to give seminars and he told about people who would come up to him and say, "I want to be a writer." He'd nod and tell them things like "great" or "that's nice" or something equally non-committal yet pleasant. Once, though, someone started out with, "I am a writer--" and he immediately responded with, "Yes!" Bradbury concluded his anecdote with this summary: belief is integral to success.

Keep at it. And luck to you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
damn

wish you had stated that this was only the beginning of something you could not finish thought this was a short story not just a chapter

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
another author's thought

I have posted two stories on TTH a buffy the vampire slayer site, one after two chapters,I put on hold and started a much simple story, got it up to 5 chapters , have not published/finished the 6th due to illnesses and TWO break ins in my house.

I can very well understand how real life can interrupt writing. my suggestion is gont give up.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
I HOPE YOU ADD THE SECOND CHAPTER SOON LOL...

SAME AS ABOVE

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsover 8 years ago
next chapter?

But it appears to be another victim of "the genie curse".

Nearly all the genie stories on Lit. are unfinished and abandoned.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
I like

Don't stop the story. I enjoyed it even though it ended too quickly. Keep it coming.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
So much for more chapters...

Oh well. It had a nice beginning.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Don't bother reading. A prologue with nothing and abandoned by the author.

Would be lovely if the website would drop this shit so we don't waste our time on shit authors who can't finish.

johnm9171johnm9171about 7 years ago
Finish

I wish u would have continued this story it had such potential all I'm left with is disappointment.

firewolf54firewolf54about 5 years ago
genie curse

a great start but never finish

cummer_elitecummer_elitealmost 5 years ago
damn

i will fuck your ass to oblivion and back,damn you author,only one chapter...what the fuck??????????????/

ju8streadingju8streadingalmost 5 years ago

sounds good, please finish.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

following chapter to be posted shortly, and no news since 2014? Shame on you!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Great start fir a series! Why did you stop. Maybe someone else should pick it up from here.

GreywolfrisingGreywolfrising10 months ago

First Hello , good start yes there are some errors but easily corrected.

it has been a while but do you think you might continue??

E3_SierraE3_Sierra2 months ago

Another interesting start only to end... I have read so many really great stories only to have them stop. Some of them 5, 10, or even 15 years ago. Very frustrating...

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous