All Comments on 'Life as a New Hire Ch. 35'

by FinalStand

Sort by:
  • 55 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Excellent mopup

Great pace, great pace. I'm assuming Red isn't dead, and will get redeemed (as will Kwen: Saku set the precedent, so that is something to look forward to).

You've tied up the Conquerer (Temujin: taking over Asia), Champion (Ajax: dead) and Friendless (Saku: in from the cold). Just the Foe left.

Great work!

retread2retread2over 9 years ago
It just keeps rolling!

Great work, your details and overviews add real depth to your epic.

Thank you for sharing your talent. I reread your chapters several times and discover I am thrill each time.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago

Story has gone off in political rants...

pravzypravzyover 9 years ago
Aya...

Dont know about cael... But now i surely am missing aya..

SmutolSmutolover 9 years ago
Why the spoiler of the "sorry no sex here"?

That and again huge political background taking its toll. All in all this looks filler type sadly

sailandoarsailandoarover 9 years ago
I really . . . .

. . . . . like the broad sweeping arc of you story. It says a lot about you as an author that you can juggle so many and so much and do it so well. Great !!

Patton_McGroinPatton_McGroinover 9 years ago
love it still

This story goes all over the place but I love it and like your style. Keep it up.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
In my opinion...

the people complaining about a chapter with no sex in it are not looking at the story as a whole. 35 chapters in....if there were huge sex scenes in every chapter there would be very limited plot movement. Again...In my opinion, a story of any length, with sex in each and every chapter (when read from start to finish like a novel) becomes redundant and boring to the story as a whole.

Step back and look at the big picture instead of instant gratification.

FS Great job! I can't tell you how happy I am to come here and find a new offering!

Thank you so much for the effort you are putting into this and for posting the results here for my enjoyment.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Awsome

I find myself checking the site for new posts everyday for the sole reason that you might have posted a new chapter. Most days there's only the "all the other stories", but every few days to a week roughly I find myself seeing the "Life as a New hire Chapter..." near the top and become ecstatic.

Thank you for the fantastic and wild story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
One character not visible at all is

Cael's mother. I would think that once he learned that his mother was still working for grandpa it would put into question her relationship with both Cael and his dad. Did she love either of them? Did she have a child she knew would be sacrificed (kill the soul seems fairly harsh future for a child). I am sure the answers are coming, the lack of curiosity in Cael seems odd though. Especially since he basically saw her face the entire flight over to Europe.

FinalStandFinalStandover 9 years agoAuthor
Chapter 36 and stuff

Where to begin? Cael's Mom hasn't come up because Cael is conflicted about whose side she might be on. First, she was dead, then she was alive in the shadows giving him aid...and then the level of control Alal was exhibiting over the time period he was 'dead' has become evident to our 'hero'. Strangely, that comes up in the first 2000 words of Chapter 36. Whether or not Cael CAN and WILL trust his mother is part of the story as it unravels.

History vs Back ground vs Character development: I haven't meant it to be this way, but so far in the 10,000 words I've written in Chapter 36, it is about 85% conversation, 10% Background and 5% historical stuff (normally used to put the background stuff into context).

To be clear, in my interpretation History is 'why the world works this way' material. For instance, what happened during the Second Betrayal and how it influences the current Amazons, or what is happening in the 'Unification War' because that determines how much interest/weight Cael has with various factions. History explains why two trained professional British military experts are hanging around with a guy fresh out of a liberal arts college no one has ever heard of. Delilah and Chaz can't hang out with Cael because he's 'cool'. They have jobs and are responsible to their government.

Background is explaining what happens between scenes and beyond Cael's immediate perceptions. As an example, what was happening with Odette as she learned the fates of Charlotte and Vincent, two of her new friends? Who helped her cope? Vincent is being flow to Germany. That wasn't Cael's doing. Javeira is handling the calls to the Vincent's daughters. Mona works with the Romanian medics ~ off scene yet important to the main story. Chapter 36 picks up in Rome. The background material give a short catalog of events of how they got there.

Character Development includes conversations, Caelisms, person and place descriptors and how Cael thinks. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Cael's instincts are good, but he does make mistakes and misjudges people and events. Do not take everything he thinks and says as gospel. He can be wrong. He knows it and I want to readers to understand that as well.

And since I doubt I'll have Chapter 36 finished and edited before the 25th, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, have a great year-end vacation, and/or a Winter Break.

FinalStand

FinalStandFinalStandover 9 years agoAuthor
I'm pretty freaking unstable right now...

To Anonymous and their idea of political rants: I'm a Right of Center Republican. In theory I'm a Christian yet if 'God' tells me to vote for a specific someone, I'm not going to the polls. I'm having the wife drive me to the mental hospital. Beyond that, I have friends all over the political spectrum. I'm pro-Gun, pro-Choice, pro-Defense and generally pro- things that provided freedom of choice and put the burden on personal responsibility.

I once had the Dali Lama (no public figure is safe from me) "Government is what happens when people stop thinking for themselves".

I believe that government has a purpose and that is to navigate the waters of the desires of their citizens balanced with what needs to be done. As far as I know, there is no EPA, or Education mandate in the US Constitution and is Amendments. Still, corporations were allowed to police their environmental policies without government interference for over a century and that was a disaster. The Constitution is meaningless if the US become uninhabitable. Higher standards of education make good economic and military sense. A smarter workforce is more productive. Smarter soldiers make better use of the high-tech equipment that become part of their daily lives while in service. That's not in the Constitution yet clearly in our Nation's best interest.

And both those things can be abused. If the EPA has the unrestricted power to shut industries down, what do we do with the unemployed? What happens when Federal Educational funding comes with strings attached concerning what can and cannot be taught based on religious, or political agendas?

In my experience, few things are clear-cut in life. Few things in Life as a New Hire are that easy either. Who foresaw the Cael-Rhada relationship in Chapter One? Who suspected Buffy had a softer side? Who thought Hayden would chose suicide as a means of saving her People?

From the story POV, Cael is non-political. A theme in this story is that you trust people, not letterheads. There is good government people who seek justice and bad government types who abuse their power. There are good corporate types who feel the have an obligation to help others and evil corrupt entities that are completely carnivorous.

Pamela is best described as a Libertarian, but then look at her personality and profession ~ she single-handedly hunts down and kills people. That tends to make a person a tad bit self-reliant.

The Amazons are actually a very socialist organization. Universal healthcare, education and employment - for themselves. All leadership positions are based on merit, not nepotism. Even though the High Priestess is chosen by the Goddesses, the Goddesses have to chose from the candidates who prove themselves in the run up to the selection. Amazons are taken at their word. Wealth means little to them as all their needs are provided by 'the State'. There is the whole issue with the prejudice with the 'Runners'...and that's being addressed by the Goddesses and the power structure. The fall of Hayden pretty much showed that the Goddesses want the 'Houses' to respect heir oaths to the 'Runners' thus bringing about true equality throughout the system.

I pick on the PRC a great deal because they are freaking HUGE and can take a pounding. A shootout in the Vatican City would be over way too fast. In another story of mine ~ over 400,000 words ~ there is a civil war in Russia and internment camps in the United States.

Why do I pick on governments? As a person living in the US, I love our Democratic Republic. Sure, its has its problems, but it is still the best form of government there is for a country this size. In fiction, governments have tons of money and millions of employees. People can rise to positions where they can abuse their power and get drunk on the sensation of making the 'little people' dance.

The same goes for corporations. Like most governments, they are not intrinsically evil, but they can be played that way. Again, they have gobs of money and can go to extreme to fatten up the bottom line.

A person's personal wealth, gender, religion, and profession do not determine if they are good, bad, or indifferent. Can an assassin be good? Well, is killing people who commit crimes yet remain above the standard legal systems a good act, or not? Is killing one person to save thousands a good deed? Things are rarely clear cut.

Take an illegal immigrant veteran construction worker. He knows the cement he is pouring is not the proper grade for the foundation of the building he is working on. He knows it is a cheap substitute that the construction manager is using to pad his own pockets. He knows the building will be at much greater risk of collapsing. He also knows that if the building does collapse, the won't be the one catching the blame. He knows he has a wife and two young kids to support. He knows if he brings this to the attention of the authorities, he will most likely lose his job and be deported along with his family ~ back to a far more dangerous place. He decides to keep his mouth shut and never let his family, or any of the families of his friends come to this building once it is complete. He pours the substandard concrete and goes on with his life. Does that make him evil? Sure the construction manager is committing the crime, but the worker knows he is doing a bad thing as well and letting it happen. So?

In this tale there are only two absolutes: Alal is the most powerful human being on the planet because of his 5000 years of life experience...and, Katrina Love is the smartest person in the room - always.

AmmononAmmononover 9 years ago
Rome and Hana

FS,

This chapter is great. Thank you for your stories. I am greatful that you alowed me the opportunity to read the stories you mentioned in your post. The Dali Lama and his Yeti's, the awakened in their internment camps. Although I love Life as a New Hire the most of all your stories.

I am excited to see how Cael and Hana's relationship develops. I worry about chapters like this one as I am not sure how Cael can get out of the trouble he has gotten into with the governments in these countrys. What if they put out warrants for him?

I love the way you have take all of Caels love intrests and ganged them all together. No hair pulling or screaming at each other. I wonder if Dot Ishara believes in polygamy? That is the only way Cael will be able to mantain his curent lifestyle.:-)

MorionMorionover 9 years ago
Impossible

How is Cael not dead... after going so long without sex? He did not even jump the sexy Russian, so he sounds like the walking dead or something :P

I continue to love this series and eagerly await the next installment :D

Gemini_KnightGemini_Knightover 9 years ago
As the curse states...

May you live in interesting times!!! If there is a better example of why this a curse than Cael I hadn't seen'em, and I think it will only get more so as he gets more involved in global affairs and not to mention all the women in his life.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Wonderful

Just wanted to say i love this series and that i can't wait for more, but i will. And also happy holidays/merry christmas.

NutRanchNutRanchover 9 years ago
loved it as always.

Loved your comments in, Duh, the comments section. Preach it FS!

At the end of the day, all of us are responsible for our actions. Both intended abound not. Love how you have explained the way 2nd, 3rd and 4th order of effects are considered and acted on.

Happy holidays, Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Be well my friend

Nut

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Wonderful and a question

First and as always my hat is off to FS and this wonderful world he has woven into this story. I think Cael is safe from any government because to many people are more worried about not making a mistake instead of what the right thing to do is with the available information at the time. "The move hand writes and having written moves on" to quote the Bard. Cael is the moving hand in this story.

One question. The Black Lotus; aren't they currently aligned with the Amazons and how do they feel about the Amazons revealing their methods?

Thank you again FinalStand !

RedRhythmicSerpentRedRhythmicSerpentover 9 years ago
Happy Holidays FinalStand.

Just reread this chapter, again. Hope to see another before New Years Day but if I get the shakes from withdrawal, I'll start reading again from chapter 1. Again.

I enjoy your work and wanted to say thank you and best wishes to you and yours!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
GIVE US MORE

Seriously this story is amazing! I can't wait to see what happens next

Pappy7Pappy7over 9 years ago
One thing I have a question about

is if all oh Alal's clones are sterile how did Cael's Mom get pregnant? If this was addressed I must have missed it. Good story as usual; a very well written episode.

NutRanchNutRanchover 9 years ago
posted for FinalStand

The Black Lotus

I apologize. I left that unclear. Katrina didn't tell the CIA and MI-6 the precise detail of the Black Lotus. In fact, the name wasn't used - multiple governments use wireless intercepts. Here is what happened - Javiera received the information about the explosions in China then contacted Katrina to see if her Amazon ally could provide any extra info. When the details of the two female 'Resistance-fighter's suicide, Katrina informed Javiera that this was the work of the 9 Clans. Javiera already know the bare-bones basics of the 9 Clans. The Black Lotus had become an active player, capable of launching missions on the Chinese mainland. With Katrina's approval, Javiera spread the word. Both the CIA and MI-6 expressed interest in learning more...then Katrina called Cael's tiny diplomatic team in Japan. The Amazon ambassador talked to the Ninja and the Ninja reached out to their contacts in the Black Lotus. With the Black Lotus on board (and accepting their own personal Amazon envoy), not only will they feed the Amazons data through the Ninja, the CIA and MI-6 can ask for specific things to be done inside China...by way of asking Javiera to ask Katrina/the Amazons to ask the Black Lotus. That way, the Intelligence agencies are clear of any wrong doing. The CIA and MI-6 are a little frustrated that the Amazons will only deal with Javeira and her team and no one else for now. Of course, if the Black Lotus proves useful to the CIA and MI-6, they might feel obliged to help the Black Lotus out in the future. The reason that the Amazons are only using Javiera is both a matter of trust and he realistic fear that the Illuminati, Egyptian Rite, Condos and 7Ps might try to insinuate themselves in the process. All of this espionage chicanery was itself accelerated by Cael's deal between the Russians and the Khanate. Within hours of the UK/US getting the plans for "Operation Funhouse", Russian and Khanate troops were on the move. The whole Amazon-Javiera network is clearly for real and capable of delivering. Wheels within wheels.

Merry Christmas too you all, and a Happy New Year...though I certainly plan to have Chapter 36 done before then

fanfarefanfareover 9 years ago
Tab A into slot B

Pappy7, if I understand correctly, how Cael's Mother was able to get pregnant and carry a child to term?

Apparent answer, She had stopped taking the chemical soup Alal had been feeding his daughters to maintain their physical vitality and beauty but also rendering them sterile.

Brings up the question of how She survived after faking her death? Perhaps one or more of her clone-sister's was resupplying her?

More mysteries and plots within plots to onion-peel apart. Yeah fun for us fans of FinalStand imagineering.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
literary crack

I definitely got so wrapped up in this story that I ended up reading straight through the night. That's right - this story was so engaging that forgot to sleep. Blink...

Bravo.

fanfarefanfareover 9 years ago
just a quick think

FS, I was just skimming through the news this morning and I guess I must have lurking in the back of my mind about the Geo-political outline you created for "Life as a New Hire".

Dali Lama?? The Resurgent Khanate is ostensibly Moslem. But the reality is many, if not most religious Mongols, are Buddhist. The majority of religious Turks are Moslem.

And the correct term should be Turk/Iranian, as the majority of the population DNA test out about 60% Turk, maybe 20% Mongol/related tribes, maybe 10%/20% ancient Persian/Parthian/Asian Hellenic and the remainder, a smattering of smaller tribal origins.

That DNA testing shows approx. 25% of the Asian population are descended from the clan/tribe of Genghis Khan's descendants. A large proportion of this was through alliance-marriages. A prime example today is how the Saudi ruling family maintains command and control.

The original Mongol Empire collapsed while attempting to select among the claimants to succeed to the throne of the Kha Khan. The differing factions devolved into a religious Civil War between Buddhists and Moslems.

Facing the New Khanate and Russian takeover of the North-Eastern territories, the PRC might seek to play the Buddhist card.

Cutting a deal with the Dali Lama to handle International diplomacy and public relations in exchange for Tibetan autonomy while the PRC retains right of access to the vast potential of Tibet's resources.

After all, the Moslem Turks have never treated the Buddhist tribes of Central Asia, such as the Tibetans, any kindlier then the Communist regime.

I see that you have the North Koreans, in a desperate attempt to secure their own oil supply, considering an invasion of Manchuria. Another reason for this is historical, that entire North-East China, right up into the Siberian Pacific Coast basically share the same ancestry.

While for sixty plus years now North Korea has been a grudging satellite of the Russians. It would advantage both the New Khanate and the PRC (also South Korea and Japan?) if the North Koreans attacked the Russian occupation.

Bogging the Russian 'peacekeepers' down into a profitless sideshow and consuming that constant threat of North Korean military power. If i remember correctly the two or three generations of North Koreans educated and trained in Moscow should be extinct by now?

If I was the New Kha Khan, I would offer the influential apparatchiks among the Manchurians, a pledge to support their Independence. In exchange for commercial access to the global ocean.

Feel free to use or knot, any of these ponderings of my ponderous prose, if you wish.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
waiting for more...

i sure hope to see this in a multi leveled movie installation or at least an ongoing teleseries! great work!

FinalStandFinalStandover 9 years agoAuthor
Update December 29th, 2014

Chapter thirty-six is almost done. I am being held up because this season has been very hard on me for a variety of reasons. I want the final scene to be touching and romantic and at the moment, that is not where my emotions are. I fully believe this fog will lift in January (and the kids go back to school because I regenerate emotionally when I am totally alone ~ odd, I know). For now, Chapter 36 is at 10,492 words and holding.

RedRhythmicSerpentRedRhythmicSerpentover 9 years ago
My humble guess, if I may...

I try to never guide the course of any ones story, mostly because.... it's your story after all. So I won't start now, except to ask that you post what you have written now. Your at a stop because the chapter is really finished. Knock off the rough edges, post it up and walk it off for a few days. Enjoy the birth of a New Year full of promise for us all. Then when you have regrouped enough to have your head back on straight, jump back in with both feet, as our Hero is wont to do, and keep recording this Epic Adventure as if unfolds.

Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us!

FinalStandFinalStandover 9 years agoAuthor
Contributions

I love contributions and advice. The whole 'Lost Sons' adventure was shaped by one reader, a Romanian who gave me tons of advice and suggestions involving Budapest and the Romanian Armed forces. The idea behind my resolution of the Dragon bloodline was transformed by another reader. He totally changed the direction I was going. I liked his suggestions and I re-imagined what he gave me so that it fit nicely to the continuing tale.

Also, 30 minutes ago, another reader sent me advice on the Hana - Cael relationship which has me thinking and rethinking what to do next.

I have been e-mail yet another reader discussing the macro- and micro-effects of the war and how geopolitical changes alter Cael's life and how unintended consequences come about. How bureaucrats can do their jobs and why they can fail to do them as well.

I love you guys (unless you call me a shit-for-blames with little explanation ~ then I'm left wondering what just happened) and I don't want any of you to feel bashful about tossing ideas my way. I've woven such elements into both Christian College Sex Comedy and Life as a New Hire. My stories are always richer with you all.

IF these four fine individuals wish to take a bow, please do. I am always cautious about handing names out myself if I don't have permission.

AmmononAmmononover 9 years ago
We care for you too, FS

I would like to state that I am greatful that I have had the chance to receive a reply from you in an e-mail. Receiving more incite to your stories has been a blast. Not just New Hire but the many other stories you have given me to read that have not been posted. I hope the 3 pages of ramblings that I sent about Cael and Hana might help. I reitorate that Aya and now perhaps Hana could be another bright spot in a wonderful but sometimes dark tale. Both spring from the unlooked for. An untrained intern is given a group of childern to guard and a flower pops up in Cael's life. A horribly wrong weekend pops up a woman capable of navigating Cael's tempestuous lifestyle.

Regardless I hope to always remain that nut in Wyoming.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Meaning to ask!

Has Madi was executed? if so has Radah become the head of her house?

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Take care of yourself

Be safe and I hope you feel better soon. Take enough time to get well, don't push yourself too hard working on these great stories of yours. I really enjoy your stories.

FinalStandFinalStandover 9 years agoAuthor
Chapter 36 and 37 Updates (January 2nd, 2015)

First off, Madi is alive. She was a Traditionalist, but not a Cult of Blood Purity fanatic, like Ursula. In their very first meeting, Madi suggested to Katrina that Cael be given over to her because she admired his spirit and thought he would be a good 'breeding male'. She was acting out of Amazon tradition. Ursula was acting against the judgment of the Council and the High Priestess. Hayden's list eliminated the lunatic fringe who would have let the Amazons die before sacrificing her ideals. Hayden had to get remove them. All the lunatic fringe were in the Traditionalist faction, but not all Traditionalists were lunatic fringe.

I've had trouble completing Chapter 36 ~ I need to write a final romantic scene ~ so I've started on Chapter 37 and its up to 8,800 words. The tale goes on, but in my current depressed state I don't feel I can do the love scene justice. Happy New Year everybody.

tyesbookstyesbooksover 9 years ago
Thank You again

Thanks again for all the work you are doing keeping us entrapped in your story. I'm sorry you are going through so much but we'll be here no matter how long it takes. Keep up the beyond great work and take care of yourself, please.

ralxanralxanover 9 years ago
Thank you

I want to add my vote to what tyesbooks said.

Thank you for sharing your writing with us.

I know depression can be a nasty beast.

I wish you well for this new year and try to get stable with the help of the ones who love you.

ralxan

wouldnitbnicewouldnitbniceover 9 years ago
love your stories

You've got an incredible talent for story telling! I've enjoyed all of your stories and I think I've read them all. Life as a New Hire is so much fun it brings a smile to my face every time I read a chapter. That being said, please don't worry about writing to please your fans, write for yourself and we'll all be in great shape!

I wish you a very happy new year!

maxd01maxd01over 9 years ago
Feel better dude

I meant to drop you an e-mail wishing you a Merry (insert holiday here) and Happy New Year. I understand what you are saying since my creativity has been pulled down this season as well. I like what you have been doing with the story (other than the BDSM simply since it doesn't do anything for me (shrug)) and the complexity of it. I think that is one reason so many of the stories here simply don't do anything for me, they are short, obviously have little plot, and just don't go anywhere.

I realize that for many people a short story here or elsewhere is all they have time or patients for which is fine. I just find that I love a story where I have no flipping clue where the flocking hell the author is going to take it in the next chapter. You take that to some damn fine heights and there have been a few times I have gone back and read through the story and ended up doing the 'one more chapter, only one more' and three chapters later I am starting to drool on the keyboard.

Having said all that I can't wait for the next two chapters but take your time and feel better first. I would far prefer an author to take the time to put out a piece of work they are happy with instead of just tossing crap out just to keep the readers happy.

FinalStandFinalStandover 9 years agoAuthor
Yet another update (Jan. 5th, 2015)

Chapter 36 went to the editors this morning. I hope to have 37 done tonight, or tomorrow. Thank you for your patience.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
thanks

Thanks for your hard work FS. But like the others said, write to make yourself happy and we will love the work. Never feel like you have to rush out something or that we are pushing for new material. I just want to tell you once again that I love this story chain just like I've loved everything else you've posted and I'm eagerly looking forward to reading what new craziness you imagine cael does next 😀

FinalStandFinalStandover 9 years agoAuthor
Update (Jan. 6th, 2015) Chapter 37

Chapter 37 is complete and submitted to my editors. On to 38.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Kupec - Gala

I believe Kupec is the forbidden one in the 33rd chapter. don't you think I am right?

FinalStandFinalStandover 9 years agoAuthor
Yes, it was Kupec

I'm very sorry about that. In my first draft, it was Gala, but I warmed up to the name Kupec, so I switched the relationship around. When writing 35, I had forgotten that, so I made this mistake. I apologize. I shouldn't have missed it.

FinalStandFinalStandover 9 years agoAuthor
Update (Jan. 8th, 2015)

Chapter 36 has been submitted to Lit. I hope to submit Chapter 37 tomorrow night.

zorbvenkyzorbvenkyalmost 9 years ago
hiya a lil piece of comment

well i like details but in the past there's too much of details crammed in too little of space. well thats for writing style. thing is people dont have a mind for details as much as they have for action. well evolution and all that. space it out. some conversation some sex and some details etc etc. But as i'm a doc i do enjoy the details though as you say some of them are fucked up but then its literary freedom. Keep up the good work!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Works for me!

I have no problem handling the details; I like the way you're doing it just fine! Keep up the great writing. Thank you.

Nthusiastic

toesocks451toesocks451almost 7 years ago
Formatting problems

I mostly read stories on the Literotica android app and it has some problems with formatting (special characters can cause the app to think the story has ended and as a result doesn't show the rest of the story.

This time I'm reading on my laptop and discovered that I had never read most of page 4 and 5 (I realized it during the Hana, Buffy and Cael phone call.), but it could have been earlier.

For other examples of this check out the Upon a Savage Shore by Ripperfish, the special characters and symbols he uses for breaks in a chapter cause the same issues. It doesn't happen in all the chapters but probably 5-10 of them.

FinalStandFinalStandalmost 7 years agoAuthor
Mmmm ...

Sadly, I live the life of a hermit so I have no mobile device. The only device I work with is my PC so haven't had this formatting problem.

Is it my use of the bold-faced 'end' which causes the problem, or something else? I could alter it by using Fin instead if it is.

James aka FinalStand

toesocks451toesocks451almost 7 years ago
In the app

In the app, this chapter ends with: "Did anyone seriously think I could convince Comrade President Putin to cough up anything he had liberated" which is the last paragraph on page 2 on lit.

Since liberated in italics and the app strips the text of formatting I think it might be connected.

Somewhat related, during a flashback sequence in one of the following chapters--the flashback to the last Isharan while Cael is knocked out on the plane--the entire sequence is in italics except when he is about to wake up and it continues on the next page. I think the lit website automatically closes the open tags when it cuts off to begin a new page. If the app pulls stories stored as lit pages--rather than as one long text-- it might have cut the story before the [/i] and the next part would have started with that. It might be causing problems but I am a hobbyist with programming experience and only passing familiarity with the structure of code not how it interacts with other code.

FinalStandFinalStandalmost 7 years agoAuthor
toesocks451 ...

Oookk!

{rolls some Dragon bones to look into the possible futures then waves his Baby Metal Bobble-head idols about as I sacrifice a bag of Lays Classic potato chips to the Tech Gods}

Let me know if that helps.

James aka FinalStand

toesocks451toesocks451almost 7 years ago
Just noticed

If you did something it either didn't work or it hasn't been updated yet.

I just discovered that the closing tag is definitively not on page 2.

If you look, you will realize that all text below after the last paragraph has been italicized; the story footer, the page numbers, the report a bug box, the navigation box on the bottom and the webpage footer. All of that is in italics on page 2 but not anywhere else.

FinalStandFinalStandalmost 7 years agoAuthor
I think I found the problem ...

For some reason, the text was edited from where I submitted to where it ended up in the final form presented here. This is how the final paragraph should have read:

**

Did anyone seriously think I could convince Comrade President Putin to cough up anything he had <i>liberated</i/> /sunk his greedy little finger into? I’d only offered him two-thirds of Manchuria because it wasn’t mine to give. The second we stopped playing with Monopoly Money, all bets were off.

**

Somewhere in the process I think the "</i>" followed by the "/" created an issue were the entire bottom of the paragraph was lost. How this has caused a loading problem for the story by an app ... I haven't a clue. I'm not aware of this happening before and I'm unsure how to fix it short of deleting the story and re-submitting it ~ which I really don't want to do.

Suggestions?

James aka FinalStand

toesocks451toesocks451almost 7 years ago
No good ideas

If you don't want to resubmit, ask someone at lit to look at it and maybe they can fix it. Otherwise If haven't got any ideas. I've previously submitted suggestions that they fix the app but nothing has happened--it's usually fairly obvious when a story has been cut off and then I just go to the website and read the rest.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
tech

If you remove the space before the slash, it will work.

FinalStandFinalStandalmost 7 years agoAuthor
Anonymous ...

Thank you.

James aka FinalStand

AchromicbethelAchromicbethel10 months ago

Thank you for allowing me the privilege of entering your world

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userFinalStand@FinalStand
5296 Followers
First off, I thrive on feedback; so please fire away when you get the urge. I read it all and it often brings different perspectives. The main thing making me a little unusual is that I'm bi-polar … with some serious medication on board to stay semi-normal. My other character...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES