All Comments on '14 Lessons from 2014'

by Tara Cox

Sort by:
  • 5 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
So sorry that I have missed some of your stuff, lately.....

But, It seems that every once in awhile, I will come across a real gem authored by you. And this essay is definately that!

There is such a great feeling actualized when sharing wisdom. Even when you know the right answers, hearing how someone else AGREES that they are the right answers, is part of the comfort we all seek.

The beauty of a list like this, is that it is supremely personal, yet also filled with commonality for all to digest. How many times do we look in the mirror, perhaps trying to see something different each time, yet forgetting the basic truth, that what we see IS what everyone else sees, afterall? Yet, that what it is, only is and only will ever be, simply what is on the surface of your reflection. Neither the mirror, nor your peers, walk through life in possession of some kind of emotional x-ray machine. Yes, what the world, and especially yourself, sees when they look at you, is your choice. And it is just one more of the choices we make everyday.

Tara, the little bit a writing I have read from you this year, seems to reflect on "choices" as a subject in general. The power of making choices, vs. the strength required to endure the result of those choices. It always baffles me, how many people walk through life, making choices left and right, and giving NONE of them nary a thought. When quizzed, most couldn't answer just how many choices were made on any given day. I think it is because descision making, (in general terms), is taken for granted in our drive-thru/instant gratification oriented culture.

I HAVE felt that part of the reflection that you have done through your writing this year, is to more correctly identify and isolate those choices, and decisions you have made. Not so much to justify or explain, but to.....as you said....STOP the cycle of repeating the same mistakes over and over again. I was so happy to see this on your list. There are WAY too many people in the world who make the same mistakes over and over, and then wonder why it feels like they have hit a wall, and have no options. Or, they feel they exist inside some fictionalized "rut". I hope reading an essay like this, (and in fact other writing by you), will help some of those stuck-in-a-rut types find the courage to see that they need to make some new choices.

As for you, Tara, I am grateful that you have remained making the same one. Your choice to continue writing for every category is one that I really appreciate. Like today, I didn't go looking for your work, it found me. But damn, I was so glad it did!

Thanks again, and Happy New Year!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Little too Schmaltzy

Pop songs as philosophy? Sorry, I sympathize with a lot of your points, but that grates a little.

And Mystique? Uhn ... she's a anti-mundane (non-mutant) bigoted assassin who's willing to cheerfully commit mass murder for Eric because she had a rotten childhood.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Be all you can be

Thanks for the reminder Tara.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Beautiful

Thank you for reminding me ;) Thank you for sharing your wonderful words with us

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Words to live by!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTara Cox@Tara Cox
2504 Followers
UPDATE: If you are wondering what happened to me, I have not died. I left Lit. Please do NOT comment or complain about unfinished stories. Completed versions of many are available on my website to read for FREE. If you follow the links: http://taracoxwriter.com Twitter: @...