All Comments on 'Once Upon a Time (Potting Shed)'

by Spencerfiction

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Excellent!

;) ! 5 *s.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
In what I assume was an attempt to be funny

You wrote the story using English folke that can't seem to speak English. While I got the gist of your tale of woe it missed the mark of being entertaining. I felt bad for him because he seemed to have a mental handicap and maybe the IQ of a pea. I wanted to like him and feel sorry for him but I just couldn't. I'm not sure how he got dressed in the morning. And his wife was simply another cheating slut. Sorry, while I wanted to like this I just couldn't . It was simply too convoluted to enjoy.

Humpdee84Humpdee84about 9 years ago
Funny

That's all that matters, it's funny, VERY funny. Keep it up. I did have some difficulty understanding the story now and then, when I took my time and paid attention, I had not issues and/or skimmed past the difficult parts. I'm not English! I'm not expected to get EVERYTHING, nor do I demand that you cater to me. You're an awesome writer, just keep going.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Loved it

I get the humour entirely. But then I'm English, living firmly in the area where you're writing about.

This is worthy of being compared to something by Roy Clarke.

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionabout 9 years agoAuthor
Wow! Thank you Anonymous-from-England

To have a piece compared to Roy Clarke, well! Now you mention it, I am reminded a little of Uncle Mort, who did have a potting shed. I hope I wasn't unconsciously referencing that material. I think Uncle Mort was sharp as a tack and used his allotment as a refuge from home life. My Solly Tree is a rather plodding and individual character, (more of a grotesque in the Tom Sharp mode than Clarke) that will be confused and funny. I want him to be regarded sympathetically by the reader, so he will win, or think he's won, more often than not. He regards the potting shed/allotment as more of a concentration camp rather than a refuge and is always trying to dig himself out and get back into Mandy Tree's favour. The names are deliberate and I hope to return to this character from time to time, as I think his situation and mindset is fertile ground (if you forgive the pun). I realise that this story would not appeal to the more insular of the American reader, but being an amateur writer keen to expand the subjects I can word paint, I hoped this piece might broaden more than my humble horizons.

tazz317tazz317about 9 years ago
HE OUTSTEREO-TYPED

the typical blonde jokes. TK U MLJ LV NV

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userSpencerfiction@Spencerfiction
979 Followers
An old printer, typesetter, proofreader, local politician and activist. I write for pleasure only, an untrained writer too set in his ways to change or learn. I have courted and been wedded to the same impossible angel for over four decades, so I am an unremitted romantic. If ...