All Comments on 'A Funny Thing Happened...'

by Quince

Sort by:
  • 30 Comments
redzingerredzingerabout 9 years ago
Ignore ANY MOUSE, he must be jealous

Brilliant tale, really enjoyed it. Best of luck in the competition. And welcome back to Lit.

1handslapping1handslappingabout 9 years ago
Nice

and interestingly different. Ignore the Anonymous berk, he doesn't know what he's talking about

ReiDeBastosReiDeBastosabout 9 years ago
I'm another of those "I was Pseudolus back in the day" types

I was Pseudolus in my high school's production of Forum my Junior year (1973-74), and your story brought back many great memories: My unrequited lust for our Gymnasia, My dating both of the Gemini (although not at the same time, darnit!!), and the many friendships, some of which continue to this day ("Lycus" was my Best Man in 2007, and his three kids and my three kids (from my first marriage) basically all grew up together. One of the Gemini is still one of my dearest friends, and attended both of my weddings. I sang at hers. And, after I finish posting this comment, I will be emailing a lovely woman who calls me her Pseudolus - and who I call My Philia - to tell her about this story.

Thanks for the story. The sex in it was the nost real and heartfelt that I've ever read in my years of perusing Literotica.

-Rei

GnomeDePlumeGnomeDePlumeabout 9 years ago
Tour de Force

Beautifully done. Witty, good character development, excellent overall pacing. Five stars, and I'm a bit stingy with those.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Tremendous story

I don't normally read eight-page stories, but this one reeled me in, and I'm glad I did. You have a deft touch with dialogue, and some of the lines were absolutely hysterical. You have obviously spent some time -- a lot of time -- in the theater. The details are just terrific, and took me back to my days in high school drama, which was by far the most fun I had during that period of my life. And the protracted seduction scene was Grade A, blue-ribbon erotica, hot and steamy, but not the least bit pornographic. I have just a couple of things in the way of constructive criticism. First, break up some of your copy blocks into shorter paragraphs; it'll read a little better. Second, I noticed a few typos; there weren't a lot and they didn't affect the story, but they were noticeable. Finally, a paragraph or two at the end to see if they lived happily ever after would have been nice. Unless you plan a sequel... Five stars -- hell, five times five stars!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
I saw this on Broadway in the original production

back in the early 60's. Plautus is funny as hell, even in the original (which I could read back then).

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
A funny thing happened

I didn't give a shit!

One star.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Bravo!

Great character development and laugh-out-loud dialogue. Fantastic, thank you.

Celibate1Celibate1about 9 years ago
Sexy and so funny

The slow build-up and hilarious dialogue had me wishing I could read faster while simultaneously wanting to take my time so I wouldn't miss a word. Sexy and funny - a winning combination.

KethandraKethandraabout 9 years ago
You brought tears to my eyes...

...and i'm pretty sure no other Literotica story has done that. And it was on Sim's Magesty of Nature speech at the end, exactly where you should get me. Wonderful story. Slow, but consistently slow and leasurely the whole way, so we get to enjoy the journey. Sim was a very well developed character, real and unique, and you squeezed in a lot of great detail on both the theatre world and my favorite musical without the feeling of an "info dump." Good luck!

ReiDeBastosReiDeBastosabout 9 years ago
The "Jack" character...

...seemed to be at least loosely-based on Jack Gilford (the actor who played Hysterium in both the original Broadway production and the film).

QuinceQuinceabout 9 years agoAuthor
Thanks so much

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I'm delighted that this one has reminded people of their own experiences watching and/or performing FORUM. And a quick response to the last comment: Jack is based on a couple of actors I worked with, one of whom was indeed Hysterium the second time I did the show, but neither of whom was Jack Guilford.

karlosfandangokarlosfandangoabout 9 years ago
Thank you

Thank you for this story - you have a wonderful use of language and a delicate touch in your character building. It gives the impression you have a genuine love for the theatre as well as a flair for writing about it and I thoroughly enjoyed every chapter.

This totally deserves all the praise it has received.

bearsladybearsladyabout 9 years ago

I read this on the advice of a friend who told me he thought I would love it. Oh man, was he right! The characters ring true and you seem to easily avoid making them caricatures of theater people.

It was also a novelty to read about a man being affected by a negative throw-away comment. It happens all the time, we (society) just don't think of it happening to men. You did an excellent job on showing how that can erode a persons confidence.

I have to admit for a few paragraphs, I was worried that the story was going to end with a 4way. While those can be fun to read, it would have seriously disappointed me. However, you finished the story with the same talent you displayed throughout. Well done.

talldarkfellowtalldarkfellowabout 9 years ago
Triumphant Return!

After years of periodic check-ins to the site, I had almost given up hope that there would ever be another submission on Lit from Quince, the author of two of my top five favorite stories here.

Yet here it is, and it's terrific!

Having done a little college theater and hung around with some of the drama crowd, I loved the backstage view in this story. And, as usual with Quince, the humor was well timed and made this far more than just a superior erotic offering.

Here's hoping for even more to come.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Wow

Wow. Wow. WOW!

I would pay through my nose to read stories this good more often. I don't know who you are, Mister Quince ('which they ate with a runcible spoon'), but you are seven kinds of impossibly good and at least twelve kinds of wonderful.

WOW.

I laughed so hard! The characters are all wrong for me, a tall and confident girl and an older and shorter guy- doesn't resonate with a pocket sized person like me, but I could not tear myself away from the story. Not for a bit, not an inch.

This is brilliant. You're brilliant. The story's amazing and the narration is flawless and I am practically raving.

Encore! Once more!

rightbankrightbankover 8 years ago
thanks for the look backstage

and the glimpse of the actors as they slip into and out of character (and each other).

KingCuddleKingCuddleabout 8 years ago
For this story, Lit needs one of those...standing on the seat applauding emoticons.

Kethandra knocked me over with a feather by her Nudity is For the Birds story.

She listed you as one of her favorite authors.

Lucky me!

So...is Ginny based on a real woman?

And can I marry her? :+)))

Fabulous theatre details.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Five stars

Quinn, you are too good a writer for this. As much as I may enjoy reading them (and I do, obviously), you're wasting your talents writing Literotica stories and not publishing professionally.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Thank you

Thoroughly enjoyed your story! Thanks very much for writing and sharing it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
A minor detail, but...

...there is no such word as "shinny". Shiny, yes; shinny, no.

foolscapfoolscapover 6 years ago
We dumb Yanks have the word "shinny" but it doesn't sparkle or anything

shinny 1 |ˈSHinē|

verb (shinnies, shinnying, shinnied) North American

another term for shin: he loved to shinny up that tree.

FiveWolvesFiveWolvesover 6 years ago
Usually I try

I usually try to leave specific feedback - what I liked or what I didn't. But it's late and maybe I'll have more things to say later, but for right now all I have is - wonderful!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago

I tried but the first page did nothing for me so I quit. I do love good stories, but if you don’t get my attention in the first page, I’m out.

tentaclesforalltentaclesforallover 4 years ago
The sheer exuberance and joi de vie...

I really loved that staged little rehearsal. It was funny and lighthearted, it was sexy and just so full of the joy of life.

The whole story was great. Good story building, great characters, the pacing worked well... focused and tightly written.

Honestly, this story was very well done...

Now I'm going to have to read the rest of your stuff..

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Sorry, Not For Me

In a list of the top thousand things I care even a little about, musical theater wouldn’t show up. I made it through the first page and bailed. Just not my kind of story, but thanks anyway.

WildWonderfulWildWonderfulover 4 years ago
Good stuff!

Great dialogue between the characters and a true representation of musical theatre. Very hot and good characters! I really enjoyed it. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
First comment ever, because...

I’ve never commented on here before. Never know what to say.

Now I have to though. Wow!

I love everything about this. What’s not to love? Romance, steamy scenes, and deftly sketched musical theater actors (not to mention their characters!) made for the most memorable story I’ve read here.

Thanks!

LilkahunaLilkahunaover 2 years ago

I can't believe some people bailed on this story at the beginning. This may be the best written story I have read on this site. Such a great connection to the theater that the stories were totally believable. Wonderful dialogue, romantic sex (the best kind) with likable characters. Wish I could write like this., but what you have is rare. When I read a story written by a man as a woman character, I've always had a problem with it. Not this time. That is not easy to do.

Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Wow, a porn story that actually touch my old, cynical heart. Well done.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous