All Comments on 'Free Speech is Offensive'

by oggbashan

Sort by:
  • 20 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
grow up

remember what site you are on..... stop taking yourself so seriously....

SEVERUSMAXSEVERUSMAXalmost 19 years ago
His seriousness is a sign that he IS mature!

This was an excellent article and goes to the heart of what I have said before. The writer himself is a prime example. I don't like that many of his stories, but he has the right to write them. Remember the wise words of Voltaire, "I disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." That quote sums up my sentiments.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
Moron

Free speech isn't designed to be offensive. Free speech is designed to allow every American citizen to be able to speak their mind without fear of retaliation from the government. Does everyone need a refresher course in American history?

Free speech that offends someone is protected by the Supreme Court as long as that speech does not jeopardize any citizens. Review your American history before writing an essay like this next time.

angelicminxangelicminxalmost 19 years ago
Well said, Og.

Kinda makes a person sit up and take notice. This is the first essay that I have read so far, and I loved every moment of it. You have a very interesting point of view, one that I hadn't given much thought to. I don't think I am alone in that. Well written. ~Minx

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
For All So-Called Legislators

This is so true ... If I cannot vent my voice to say anything that is "politically incorrect"; for I may offend someones' sensibilities, then I am restricted in expressing my feelings ... giving rise to a "non-free speech" situation.

Isn't it sad that individuals are so sensitive, re: their feelings!!!

cloudycloudyalmost 19 years ago
Little minds.....

Amazing, isn't it, that so many consider the US to be the only country in the world?

Very nice, Og, and very well-written.

AngeloMichaelAngeloMichaelalmost 19 years ago
Very nice work

A very fine objective and precise analysis on free speech. You broke freedom of speech down to what it should mean to anybody living in any country and what it entitles. Different peoples in different parts of the world have varying degrees on the amount of free speech they are allowed, from being imprisoned for speaking an opinion to being allowed to stand up in public and say whatever is on their mind.

A cognizant essay that examines what free speech should mean to anybody, not to any particular country, and yet it provokes thought of exactly what degree of free speech we currently have in our own little neck of the woods and if we are happy with what we have.

Great job!

BlueSnakeBlueSnakealmost 19 years ago
Too right, Ogg ...

I have read most of the Freedom of Speech essays. As an author, I am certainly proud to be identified with you all. As a thinking, rational, intelligent individual I can only say: Together you all have expressed your thoughts and concerns--and even solutions or suggested approaches--very well. Ogg, in my book you get a 5! Keep up the good work. And as my friend Andy Offutt says: "Write on!"

impressiveimpressivealmost 19 years ago
Rock on, Og!

Concise and well-presented. ~Imp

Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskinalmost 19 years ago
The Great Og Has Written

And, IMHO, Og did so damn well. (Oh, shit. Can I use, damn, or shit? Will it get Lit into trouble? Worse still, will it get ME into trouble? Oh woe and paranoia.)

Another job well done by the Great Og.

Rumple

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
Where did that come from?

Very well written. consise but what's the point? You havent written anything new or anything we dont already know. Perhaps you are excersising you're right to free speech. But as the comment above states remember which site you're writing in and lighten up man!!

TheEarlTheEarlalmost 19 years ago
Only Americans have free speech...

[quote]Free speech isn't designed to be offensive. Free speech is designed to allow every American citizen to be able to speak their mind without fear of retaliation from the government. Does everyone need a refresher course in American history?

Free speech that offends someone is protected by the Supreme Court as long as that speech does not jeopardize any citizens. Review your American history before writing an essay like this next time.[/quote]

Missed the point entirely and outrageously arrogant in assuming Og was talking about America. Free speech - allows fools to be outed.

Good essay Og.

The Earl

iansearchofiansearchofalmost 19 years ago
Who's a moron?

There are extremely limited bases for restricting speech--e.g., not shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theatre when no fire exists. Absent a "clear and present danger" of a threat to the public safety, the free exercise of public expression is not to be curtailed. As Holmes said, the paramount principle is that "free thought--not free thought for those that agree with us but freedom for the thought that we hate" must be protected.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
Top stuff!

A most cogent, clear argument. I liked the way you compartmentalised the various aspects of 'free speech' (gotta love those pigeonholes), made it a pleasure to read.

Yes, maybe they weren't all new thoughts and views on the subject but then, each new production of Hamlet brings a little something extra to centuries-old writing. And some things are worthy of repeats.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Disagree

Assume the first ammendment wasn't written for a moment. You could easily find yourself punished for speaking out against "the man"

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago

This offends me.

talldarkfellowtalldarkfellowalmost 11 years ago
Pretty basic stuff.

This is like an abbreviated, cliff-notes version of a constitutional law or philosophy seminar. I've heard it before, but I suppose it's useful for others.

For the commenters who note, and criticize frequent references to U.S. law and social norms, please remember this is an English language site. Obviously a disproportionate number of readers and commenters will be U.S. citizens. For those who find those comments self-indulgent or ignorant about other nations or cultures, I would politely ask them how much they really know about free speech in China, the most populous nation on earth.

Glass houses.

legerdemerlegerdemerover 9 years ago
Well said

Just had a chance to read your essay. It is well thought out, succinct, and timeless. Like the right of free speech. Indeed, taking offense at someone's right to free speech is the price we pay for being able to express ourselves freely. Maybe it is a small price sometimes and a large price at other times; I'd much rather have to pay it, and be offended, than not be able to say what I think. Fundamentalist religions impose too high a cost not only on their followers but on all around them. And I don't mean just fundamentalist Islam. Thank you for having taken the chance on a non-erotic essay on such a relevant topic to this site, Clearly most of you readers appreciated your essay.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Still ended up jerking off

Still ended up jerking off to this. Not sure if that was the purpose.

AnonymousAnonymous13 days ago

No. You can actually speak your mind without being an asshole. It happens every day among normal people. If you constantly find yourself wondering why nobody can handle your truth, it’s probably because your truth is shit, or you’re just being an asshole. Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
useroggbashan@oggbashan
1529 Followers
Can I now change bio? oggbashan was diagnosed as terminally ill and expected to be dead by June 2018. As you can see. I am still here. . As long as I can I will continue writing and posting on Literotica but there will be an end - soon. I don't expect anyone to like ALL of my...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

SIMILAR Stories