All Comments on 'Celebrate Freedom!'

by sophia jane

Sort by:
  • 27 Comments
neonlyteneonlytealmost 19 years ago
Nicely Done

This is an enjoyable essay, though I possibly needing more 'fire' to emphasise the almost hysterical banning of largely inofensive books because the way 'language' and culture evolves. I'm going to read my x-rated HP with glee.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
High Road

You took the high road on this one, not stooping into hysterics as some would and providing sources that complement your opinion. Good job.

angelicminxangelicminxalmost 19 years ago
Wonderful approach!

I too read books because they are banned. Keep banning them please! I have discovered the best books and authors that way. ;)

I would never have read the Harry Potter series except for the controversy surrounding it. I have purchased each one in hardback and will purchase the set in paperback when they have all been released. I reread the series when each new book is released.(the next one is due in June ;)) It took me about 10 hours to read "The Order of the Phoenix". I have read each book a minimum of 4 times and intend to read them aloud to my daughter this summer.

Thanks for the insight, SJ. Well written piece. Ha, and you weren't going to enter. :) ~Minx

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
Excellent!!!

Banning books is an anathema to our society and is not relegated to either the left or the right but to closed minded individuals of all stripes.

cloudycloudyalmost 19 years ago
Very good points!

I, too, am a voracious reader, and banning something would only make me want to read it more. Like you, I'd want to figure out what all the fuss was about. The reasons for banning seem so silly when taken one at a time, but it's adding up to a mass hysteria in our country.

Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
Greatly enjoyed

Very well done.

My only regret is the failure to note that the Patriot Act makes (among other things) reading habits a subject for national security investigation. Surely, if we have enough knowledge about the intellectual curiosity of our citizens, we can stop the bombing of buildings by terrorists--that should be obvious to any damned fool!

Softouch911Softouch911almost 19 years ago
common sense

Good work, as always, SJ. Your thoughtful approach with responsible research to back you up should help you win the appreciation of people who want to think about the issue as well as feel strongly about protecting children, or about readers' rights. And just think, if you offend someone enough, you may get banned .... famous, wealthy, and guaranteed publication in the future. The author is the only one who makes out well when censors intrude. Thanks for the provocative ideas.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
Fahrenheit 451 becomes a work of prophecy

I mention this title, and people dismiss it with "Oh, it's just a story" but as time passes Bradbury sounds more and more like a prophet. The afterward in the edition I have from the early 80s is especially interesting. Bradbury tells of how, over the years, this book on censorship had had parts edited out of it. He told how someone thought there weren't enough women in "The Martian Chronicles" and he should rewrite to to add more women. Another thought there weren't enough blacks in itm and it should be rewritten. Yet another thought there were too may minorities and the whole thing should be pitched. His reponse was to tell all of them to take a flying leap and write their own books.

As the Captain tells Montauge, it wasn't the goverment that started it, it was the people. One group didn't like this part, so it was edited out. Others didn't like this other part, so more editing, until there was nothing left. The goeverment just took advantage of the situation.

ElizabethWestElizabethWestalmost 19 years ago
Brava!

Good work, my dear.

cantdogcantdogalmost 19 years ago
Good but brief

I'm too academic I guess. I had begun to expect more of a thesis. Thanks, Sophia. Great little article!

~photoguy~~photoguy~almost 19 years ago
makes me go hmmmmm !!

great work SJ .. I learned some things by reading ... looks like you did lots of research

BB

Awful ArthurAwful Arthuralmost 19 years ago
Terrific

A great blend of personal experience and the historical record. It not only made me think it made me feel. Just, I suspect, as you intended.

impressiveimpressivealmost 19 years ago
Nice work, SJ.

Good luck in the contest. ~Imp

mlady_francemlady_francealmost 19 years ago
~~

Great job SJ! The thing I find funny about this whole book banning thing is that in my school the banned books were part of the course. We had to have our parents sign letters saying we were allowed to read them, but we still read them. The teachers made it a point to discus the reasons people said they should be banned. It was all very interesting, and really gave us a chance to make our own choices about what we thought was controversial and what was just some one making a fuss over nothing. Other than the Captain Underpants, and Harry Potter series I have read all the books you mentioned, and most of them in school. Guess my school wasn't as bad as I thought. Great job, SJ. Keep fighting the good fight.

Extreme BohunkExtreme Bohunkalmost 19 years ago
You tell 'em Sister!

Well written & eye opening.

Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
Much ado about nothing

The Bible and the Koran also have been banned, 'eh? This little ditty is not witty, it's not informative, it's not entertaining. It's nothing. But at least it's short.

logophilelogophilealmost 19 years ago
Thank you...

...for bringing this topic to light. So many people have no idea that book banning is still happening, or what the implication is to all of us! Well done, Sophie!

sacksackalmost 19 years ago
extremely interesting and original..

and a delight to read...good luck!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
"1984", anyone?

I often wonder, when I read about banned books and censorship, if anyone has ever read "1984" or "A Brave New World"? Such negative-utpoia books are so true-to-life in our media-hyped, hysteria-driven society. Thanks for an interesting article. It is encouraging to know that many other people read banned books and are seeing through the curtain of fear that is placed in front of said books.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
Congratulations SJ

Wonderful essay. You deserved your accolades.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Good Job...

I enjoyed reading your essay. Your perspective and approach to your topic "Celebrate Freedom", was interesting and educational; that is, good content. I also applaud you for the clear and concise way you presented your research; good package.

Rev_LovejoyRev_Lovejoyover 18 years ago
Freedom to read, freedom to live

"Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings."

Heinrich Heine

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
No more censorship!

As someone who enjoys banning books, I find my moral justification to be as simple as 2+2=5.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Ironic

I have always found it funny that most protesters for banning books I have met are highly religious to the point of fanatical. Yet, this country was settled by people fleeing religious persecution. I guess the current protesters failed to learn their own history and are thus doomed to repeat it.

Comentarista82Comentarista82almost 7 years ago
Competent, although you could help yourself out

If you check a banned and challenged book list, you will find pornography in Lolita and Lady Chatterley's Lover, especially if you define that in the text of the times the authors wrote and published them.

You should elaborate more on why reading a banned book results in freeing oneself and expound on benefits you or others have gained that one might have missed. You could have availed yourself of Fahrenheit 451's example, which is a sci-fi take on banning and burning books.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous