All Comments on 'Free Speech: The Acid Test'

by oggbashan

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
bearleebearleealmost 19 years ago
Points well taken

There's probably a line to be drawn, at least in the United States, regarding democratic organizations and free speech and of course the government. Sometimes it also depends on your position in an organization when it comes to free speech. Should it be that way? Who knows. In an ideal world maybe it should be but my experience with companies would suggest they tolerate much less in the area free thought, especially by those toward the bottom. They say they don't, like Wal-Mart I guess, but that's probably not reality. Government should be another story. There's an easy argument to make those that govern don't care either, but I'm not convinced, and I'm pretty cynical by nature, it or those in control, don't listen at times. I do think those companies that will listen to employees thrive, but then again it may depend on how big it is.

sacksackalmost 19 years ago
makes good sense...

good luck in the contest!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
Interesting, but<YAWN>...

I think I saw a documentary on PBS or NPR that was as inspired. The facts are true, but not exciting or emotional to the average reader. Amnesty International is a good source. Good luck in the contest.

talldarkfellowtalldarkfellowover 10 years ago
Business versus Government.

In a nation with basic legal protections of free speech you can theoretically criticize government policies and officials to your heart's content.

Unless you are a slave or indentured servant, you can freely choose to seek or leave employment with a business and that company can hire or fire you just as freely. If the company's managers or owners don't like something you've said, they can't shoot you or lock you in the basement for years (at least not without opening themselves up to arrest and prosecution), but they can certainly fire your posterior. They can't prevent you from speaking, but they don't have to subsidize your speech by paying your salary.

Most people don't seem to appreciate this not-so-fine distinction.

legerdemerlegerdemeralmost 9 years ago
Well said

...and always important sentiments. The difference free speech makes is immeasurable. I wonder about the difference between the US and the UK with respect to what is considered libel. That throws some cold water on free speech rights. What do you think?

Lector77Lector77almost 4 years ago
Yes, but...

First, a nit: "The USSR's tanks eventually crushed the 1956 Prague Spring in Hungary." Well, not quite. The Prague Spring came about a dozen years later, in a different country. The response of the USSR was similar.

That little detail attended to, you are obviously correct in your sentiments, but the influence of money in the so-called democratic Western nations has put some distance between free speech and its traditional benefits. Between Bloviating Boris and the trumpenproletareit©, the U.K. and the U.S. grow less democratic and less free by the day. For free speech to protect us from corruption in government, we need an electorate competant to read and listen critically.

It would be interesting to see an update to this good essay.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
useroggbashan@oggbashan
1523 Followers
Can I now change bio? oggbashan was diagnosed as terminally ill and expected to be dead by June 2018. As you can see. I am still here. . As long as I can I will continue writing and posting on Literotica but there will be an end - soon. I don't expect anyone to like ALL of my...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES