All Comments on 'open season'

by annaswirls

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
jam packed

with color and texture. nice work, miss anna. :)

dcpoet44dcpoet44almost 19 years ago
my kind of season....

and you do a wonderful job in explaining why that is and why it should be that way. there is some wonderful imagery throughout this. but i must pick this out as my favorite:

like a mile of hot tar.

*****

great job annas.........don

Jennifer CJennifer Calmost 19 years ago
Wonderful writing

I am in awe of your talent,

you have some lovely imagery

here and every line was

a delight to read. My favourite

poem of the day me thinks!

Thanks.

~ Jenn

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
anna your words

as always are eye candy dazzling the eyes to inspire...and want...to pen on...blue

steve portersteve porteralmost 19 years ago
the lady...

...has talent...thanks, anna.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
nit picking

The first two stanzas have nice imagery but read a little uneven for me, after that it flows smooth and drags the reader along in a whirlwind of emotion.

Now I'm nit picking and maybe this is just me. 'patina green

and oxidation brown' Isn't the green patina on pennies copper oxide and so oxidation and brown oxdation is rust and wouldn't be found on pennies? It's a nothing thing I know but it was one of the lines that jarred with me because I had to stop and think.

Other than that I really liked the poem for its intensity.

b'brig

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
oxidation - reduction reactions

Oxidation reactions are an entire series of chemical reactions between metals and oxygen. (Rust is just one of them when Iron oxidizes. ) I suppose it is not just metals, as apples etc. oxidize and turn brown.

Copper oxidizes in different ways, under different conditions, and the process may go through many steps. For example, one experiment I did with my students started with the quick heating of copper powder over a flame. It went through many color changes from reddish to greenish, looking almost like a peacock feather at times...then to pitch black powder. This was CuO. Rinse it with HCl and you get CuCl2, a green salt dissolved in water.

Drop a piece of Zinc in the solution of CuCl2 and H2O, you get your copper back as Zinc steals Chlorine from the Copper.

Get what you start with!

The patina that forms on copper is a lenthy process, which also contains the oxidation process.

Many of the copper salts that form are also blue and green, you might see crystals that form on copper. I remember my battery in my old car getting crusted with those crystals.

Thanks for the noting of this. I wonder if the scientific language threw anyone else for a loop and was distracting. I just love reactions with pennies. They are cheap and easy and make students realize that elements are not just on a chart on a wall, but in their pockets too.

~as

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous