All Comments on 'No hero'

by JohnFranks

Sort by:
  • 20 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Thanks

I'll remember to thank my dad again.

Great write.

Thanks

Alberta  AlAlberta Alover 17 years ago
So true

Unfortunately your story is so true. My father came out of the war physically unscratched after 5 years of doing what he had to. My children have no interest in his medals or in what happened over there.

duddle146duddle146over 17 years ago
A Gallant Sadness!

This heartfelt tribute to a father has to make everyone who ever served during a war especially proud - not just of the guys who served; but, proud of the sons who honor their fathers in the way this author has undertaken to do. A First Rate Read! A terrific Story! Thank you.

TiggerTooTiggerTooover 17 years ago
Well done.

Crete.

My father was in the U.S. Army Signal Corps in WW I and saw German dead laid out in fields. Sad that men would kill those whom some nitwit leader declared to be the enemy. Ordinary men had to die or to live with physical or mental disabilities the rest of their lives. How do we make sense of it all?

Thanks.

Phil

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Per Mare Per Terram

>>Jack was not a hero, he was just an ordinary man in extraordinary times who did the best that he could.<<

But it sounds, to me, as if Jack was a hero - to his son. That's the way it should be.

Thanks for sharing this one with us.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
buy a poppy and imagine

thanks for provoking thoughts about our fathers, grand fathers and many genereations before. i was a war baby, my mom a british soldier and my dad a ww II yank tanker.they were married at ve +4 in a german church with no roof. now more generations go on and my parents story will be forgotten. fair enough , but we may buy a poppy now and then and imagine the effort , love, and heroism of so many.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Fortunate Youth - So Far

A wonderful story told so very well of a man and men who did what was necessary but not for the glory.

For their descendents - who while afraid for what could be -try to ignore what may go away.

In many regards, their efforts and sacrifices have born fruit for those who haven't had to do what they did. Still in some parts of the world today there is little regard for human life which someday may call for more necessary sacrifice if the future is to be as good as it can be.

Thanks for the reminder Author.

With High Regard

huntzingerhuntzingerover 17 years ago
Thanks for the story

I spent 22 years in the service and my kids could not care less about that. But my eyes get kind of watery when ever a man or woman offers to shake my hand and says thank you.

John

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
thank you and our family remembers

YES, HE WAS A HERO. HE WAS LIKE THE THOUSANDS OF OTHER HEROS WHO SHOWED UP AND DID THEIR JOB, MY FAMILY PRAYS FOR THE SAFETY OF SERVICE MEN AND WOMEN EVERYWHERE.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
Two words

Absolute truth.

LitbridgeLitbridgeover 13 years ago
Bang on!

Well written and timely. I am of the opinion as the number of vets declines, we should turn our focus to celebrating their legacy rather than their sacrifice which, as you say, becomes less meaningful to each passing generation. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Bravo

your words ring so very true, especialy in todays times.

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
TRUER WORDS HAVE BEEN SPOKEN AND WRITTEN

BUT NEVER FORGET WHAT WAS BEHIND TO LET US BE. TK U MLJ LV NV

auhunter04auhunter04almost 12 years ago
I find it intereting

The general population views those of us who read or write erotica as somewhat if not totally immoral.

However, I have read many tales such as this on this sight and I have not found a single tale of writers, characters or events slammed, ignored, ---

Every remark, the same as those here are always in support of the things that are good about our country or in someway address happenings so related.

Bravo writers and readers Bravo

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Always Say Thank You

I have explained about the war to my sons. Every time they see a person wearing a veterans ball cap they go up to them, shake their hands, and say thank you for their service. The older gentlemen really appreciate this small gesture and my boys get an idea what gratitude really means to people that have given so much.

dinkymacdinkymacover 9 years ago
Well said!

Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Only two words

Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago

But every year, as time goes by, fewer people care. Fewer people remember. Soon, all the real pain of that time will be forgotten. And that is a travesty. Maybe the last real casualty of that war.

kzchopperkzchopperover 5 years ago
With MUCH respect

So many young people today do not realize the sacrifices our ansesters have made.

jenellesljenelleslover 4 years ago
The Best of the Best

It is said that Freedom isn't free. This is actually engraved here in the US at the Korean War Memorial. The motto of the Vietnam Veterans War Memorial, THE WALL, is not engraved. It states that The price of Freedom is written on THE WALL. When you are there, do an about face, look across the river to Arlington National Cemetery.

I was no hero. I went to the shop and fixed electronics for the aircraft. We had guys aboard ship putting in twelve, fifteen, twenty hour days just feeding the rest of us.

The real heroes are the families who wait and pray their child, spouse, or parent doesn't come home in a coffin. The real heroes are the Gold Star Families who gave everything to the machine.

A well written and timely peace regardless which war it refers to. Bravo Zulu JohnFranks

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous