All Comments on 'Challah, hallah…'

by Man Ray

Sort by:
  • 12 Comments
My Erotic TrailMy Erotic Trailover 17 years ago
a picture...

... paints a thousand words <grin and this one; perhaps more <grin. A grand image sprinkled with your literary charm, thanks for sharing! (~_~)

My Erotic TrailMy Erotic Trailover 17 years ago
mention

this poem mentioned in the new poem reviews (~_~)

KOLKOREKOLKOREover 17 years ago
that was one Challah to reckon with!

Initially defensive, I realized that I was successfully provoked. RAYMAN is courageous in that we occasionally find loaded or sensitive materials being presented to us. Praise is well deserved just for the courage to do that, and I am disappointed for not seeing more encouragement. For one, many would shy away, fearing misinterpretation, of presenting handcuffs, as a back drop to a specific mention of a religion and its holy ritualistic rest day. The fact that the handcuffs are hanging high on a tree (you can see the sky); hardly a common place for them could not have been accidental and could not be ignored. Which bring me to provocation number two. In this country I believe the grim association of violence and death in similar circumstances is never far from the consciousness. But the text defies the automatic iconic violent connotations. The poem reclaims them and redefines them. Who says that worshipping could be done in one way only? Hand cuffing could be greatly pleasurable to some; ‘sacrifice’ need not always be deadly if it turns out to be one couple’s metaphor for love or even religious devotion.

For those in the know, the specific religion mentioned would have welcomed with no problems doing this type of worshiping in particular on the holy day as an extension of the overall requirements of the traditional Shabbat duties. Where/ how/ and with what props, you choose to do it? Even this particularistic religion lives it to the creativity of its members.

WickedEveWickedEveover 17 years ago
~

I get more out of the photo than the words. I like the photo. It appeals to me because of my chosen lifestyle. I like the first line of the poem. The last two are okay. I know what the title means, and I see how you're tying it in with the poem, but it still doesn't really make sense to me why you're using the title challah for this poem.

Anyway, thanks for sharing another illustrated poem. I do enjoy the illustrated ones. :)

Man RayMan Rayover 17 years agoAuthor
My Erotic Trail…

as always, thank you for your gracious comments. (I like your grins.) And for the mention, of course!

Man RayMan Rayover 17 years agoAuthor
WickedEve…

thank you for chiming in w/ your thoughts. The title Challah, hallah (syn) I chose for several reasons being (a) the preferred tradition by the wife in its separation (Midrash recounts that the braiding of the bread alludes to the way God adorned Eve’s hair before wedding Adam in the Garden of Eden), (b) the repetition to suggest the celebration and (c) the phonetic echoing sounds of pleasure associated w/ handcuffs.

Man RayMan Rayover 17 years agoAuthor
KOLKORE…

I’m pleased you cottoned on to what this haiku wanted heard. Again, you nailed it! Although we don’t know each other, I am flattered as heck to have you follow my work. A simple thank you is all I can offer in return for your most insightful comments which I pray will peal w/ other readers.

duddle146duddle146over 17 years ago
Awaiting.

Totally captivated ~ I have found a person who worships my very being. Lovely illustration.

LeBrozLeBrozabout 17 years ago
~~

A nice piece and again, more zappai and less haiku or senryu, though all three have the same structure.

LeBrozLeBrozabout 17 years ago
~~

A nice piece and again, more zappai and less haiku or senryu, though all three have the same structure.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
This is true!

I would like to tie you up to that tree and throw human feces at you for wasting my time with that stupid poem.

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
TO KNEEL IN AWE

unchained no more, TK U MLJ LV NV

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous