All Comments on 'The Secretary Regrets'

by patricia51

Sort by:
  • 103 Comments
rgraham666rgraham666over 17 years ago
Good one

The mark of a good fiction writer is that they can make the real, real.

That's just what this story did. It made something we read about in the papers, a real thing, and bought it to life. Instead of something happening 'out there', this story bought it home and made these events a thing that happen to real people.

Well done.

RicticRicticover 17 years ago
Good Story

Thanks for the story. It really touched home.

Blue88Blue88over 17 years ago
Very well done

I loved this tale. It was well written and well thought out. I have to admit to a lump in my throat, especially when the women came to help not to condemn. Thanks for an excellent read.

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 17 years ago
GOOD story wife is Vile evil and hideous

Loved the story

there is NO getting around this....

>>>>>"She refused to even think about last night. ******She would not let herself realize that at the very moment she was betraying Ronald he might have been dying. That thought would lead to madness.**** ....."

its a shame this cunt has a kid and is a Mom

Alvaron53Alvaron53over 17 years ago
Very nicely done

Harry thinks the wife is vile and evil. I think she's human.

Thanks, Patricia, for another fine story from our time. It's an excellent reminder that the paintbrush of life only paints the scene one time.

duddle146duddle146over 17 years ago
Heart wrenching story.

This story, so well written with believable emotions, is made even more sad when we realize Patricia has captured what is happening even as we read this. She has described a sadness that is indescribable. Terrific write!

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Ultimate revenge story.

There couldn't be a greater revenge then what happened.

Another good p51 story.

Thanks

z00time

daluentdaluentover 17 years ago
This wife is hideous

If a wife can't keep her legs closed, it's not that she's lonely and needs love. she's a fucking whore! Please, my son is a tank commander. With a beautiful wife and 2 kids. If she acted like this bitch I would disown her, but not the kids. Guess what shit like this happens and the news spreads like wildfire on the base. There is no way to keep this a secret. Sometimes a soldier comes home to shit like this and he blows his wife away and himself, leaving orphan kids behind. All because she was lonely, bullshit a little self control and common sense and real love would control this sort of shit.

H20waderH20waderover 17 years ago
I again bow to your expertise

Great story. it should be required reading for every non-military person in the nation.

I was on several posts and i knew the wives would be at the club ready to go with just a little effort by the men who were in this country and not in Nam. I took a court martial to protect one of them. that is a story i need to write.

the hardest duty in the military is the ones to deliver the news of the death of a loved one. There are horror stories told by the people who have to face a wife, mother, father or child. These people walk to a door and know that they carry news that will topple the lives of those on the other side of the door. we called it the hardest duty.

it is possible that most civilians do not understand that the military mind and may see your story as a fleeting glance at the way the military works. But for us, the vets, it is face to face with the agony and the hell of results of war. Soldiers die.

3000 dead in Iraq in almost 4 years of war. Nam had an average 5000 a year for over 10 years. During TET there were over 1000 notifications. there were many wives and mothers and fathers who heard those heartbreaking words. I know of one woman who heard them 4 times. a husband, a brother, a father, and a son all dead. she was a trooper and sent her last two sons to the same war. They at least came home. One badly wounded.

She has all the medals on her mantle. She is not bitter.

While we honor those who serve, sacrifice, and die, please know that Nam and Iraq did not have to happen. Good men are again dying in a poorly chosen war. I support the troops but not the ones who sends then to die. We are very close to killing more soldiers in Iraq than we did fighting our own Revolutionary War.

Where have all the flowers gone?

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Been there...

Sorry to say that cheating military wives are all too common. Back in the day, it was common knowledge at Ft Bragg, NC, that if you wanted to get laid, go to the Dragon Club to pick up married women whose husbands were on deployment. I am ashamed that I was one of the "other men" like Lt. Hall in the story.

capecodmercurycapecodmercuryover 17 years ago
Thank you

Patricia, once again you have come up with a gem among the dross. Your ability to make your characters live and breathe is outstanding. Although sad, this story is like a shock of cold water to the system.

What I liked about this story is your treatment of the wife. She is not an evil person or a slut who doesn't care, just a woman who makes a mistake that she will regret for the rest of her life (and would have regretted even without the shock to the system you threw in). This story hit home.

zed0zed0over 17 years ago
I Dunno.......

Personaly I think the other wives shoulda let the slut kill her self. The kid probably would have been better off without her.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
I agree

I have to agree with what Zed said, doesn't change the fact that she cheated on a hero. Yes, he died in the service of his country, he is a hero. She is a selfish piece of shit, and I would not want her to raise my daughter. But the story was well written, as always.

JoesephusJoesephusover 17 years ago
Sometimes we have to be human...

I don't know if I would have the maturity to do what the Col's lady did. Certainly she had the life experience to help her. I can't feel the degree of sympathy for the wife I might should.

Having said that, there is the son. Pat painted a woman on her first "slip." I don't know what her moral character would have revealed, if this would have been just her first or her only. Most people are resolved after a "slip." But not all keep it.

In this case, one can only hope and try to help her make it her only. If she doesn't get support, becoming a slut is a high probability, and what does that do to her son? As a society we own that boy even if I don't feel much obligation for the mother.

I think that's what the Col's lady understood and that's what drove her to support someone she didn't like much. I don't know if I could have that level of maturity... but I hope so.

Now about Lt. Hall...

One last thing, as the non-American spouse of a service woman, I have to accept that we will be parted. We've been married since July 4th and only together 17 days. I never expected it to be easy, but being apart is much harder than I thought. Tempted, not at all. Lonely, I never knew what that word meant.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
WELL WRITTEN BUT DUMB CONCLUSION

Enjoyed the story to a point...the ending did not mean that Lt Hall got what he deserved....unless God opened the gates and showed him that "Ron was now fucking Christina". So the ending is suspect.

And the Reality is: [1] Lt. Hall will have bragged to everyone how "easy" Marge was....[2] After Lt Christina was buried, Lt Hall will visit Marge for "seconds" esp. since they now have something in common...[3] everyone on the base...esp. through the wives... will know she fucked around on hubby on the night he was killed....So Marge is "branded"...she will come out of it okay...but how ridiculous she will look at the ceremony dressed in black playing the widow with junior at her side..knowing that everyone there knows...and even if they don't, she will think they do....about her "one" night stand... "omerta" is not a word amongst these wives nor the soldiers...

She fucked up big time...she has to grieve through it not have the wives camouflage it with artificial niceties..

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
A time for understanding

Thank you Patricia for having the insight and courage to write such a compelling story – that most people simply can not begin to understand the sacrifices our fine men and women and their families must cope with 24/7. Marge is a loving and caring wife and mother who has her own needs - just like all of us – differences is – she has no idea when they might be attended to – unlike those folks who can see their significant other frequently. As the old expression goes ….”walk a mile in my shoes…”

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
its' a sad story of adultery in wives of soldiers

young and weak minded women are left behind to deal with life and they don't have a clue.the hard part is the kids get caught up it the bullshit.first the government don't pay shit to the men and their families. they suffering trying to make end meet and stuggles that help destroy the the family.until you walk in these women shoes don't judge them.i'm not staying its' right,but hell is not easy.the wife of the LT. shouldn't have to suffer for her asshole of a husband by dying.in this country now its' all about me and me first.so what you expect.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
To Patti and 'Joesephus'

Judge Patti:

You took a difficult situation, inserted human frailty and related the angst of coping with an incredibly poor decision. And, as usual, you authored it with grace and style.

However, I do have to agree with some comments posted earlier. For me the ending was just too contrived. The epilog was really unnecessary and detracted from the profundity of your story.

To 'Joesephus: I and many others fervently hope that your wife safely returns home soon.

Philip

ChagrinedChagrinedover 17 years ago
Superb!

Unlike the others I am not going to beat a political drum. Being a Vietnam vet all I will say is "War Sucks".

But this story didn't! again Pat51 shows us the human side of life. I really love this writing! Did you catch this phrase? "As it turned out, the abstract was much easier to accept than the concrete. " Poetry!

Every time I think there is nothing of any value here, Patty proves me wrong, darn her!

Best of regards,

C

NeedYouNeedYouover 17 years ago
RXCEKKENT Pat as always. But this one really

got to me. When I read the husband dies, I choked up. I know of simular situations and it's very hard to be in the military or married to it. Those who haven't served don't have any idea what dedication and sacrific these men and women make for them. Those that serve in war any war are set even higher and closer to God. Thank you for making me sad as hell and happy to read your stories. Best regards. Bud

peggytwittypeggytwittyover 17 years ago
A great Author puts sadness in place with reality

I thank you for putting out a moving story that most will never feel in real life.

In times of war and separation what is waiting at home is all that is of anything of hope. You don’t survive war by trying to stay alive you only survive by facing the fact you won’t survive and go out and do your job and duty with all you have. This way you can handle all that is thrown at you and you comrades your best friends are all that matter. What you have coming to you from home in shreds of information are what you feel you will never see again but it emboldens you to want to succeed and take it to the enemy with a fervor almost a lust of hate because it is the enemy that put you and your buddies there. By giving into the fact you are dead anyway it lets you move freely and with a knowledge that today this minute is all that is important and you are going to live each minute with out regret but with a purpose.

H20wader and Chagrined know the real hero’s are all that didn’t come home and those who are still fighting the hell of what they experienced. There are hundreds of thousands who are still living with what only war can bequeath on a soul.

You are an excellent Author as all who have read you before know. I wish it was as intriguing to read about the wives (now also husbands) who suffered the pain and tears and heartache each and everyday of being on there knees with grief and hope praying for the day to end and tomorrow to come with a new sun and there loved one before them.

I so hate to hear the truth be told sometimes as it almost depresses me in remembrance of souls who are still tortured and the ones who today are newly being tortured.

Thank you for your skillful and extensive work.

PT

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Great writing

I have struggled in my writing attempts trying to compose a story that I think is worthy of submission to this site.

In reading your story, I feel sentiments similar to Jack Nicholson's compliment to Helen Hunt in "As Good As It Gets" and that is 'you make me want to be a better writer".

An outstanding piece.

bornagainbornagainover 17 years ago
Mrs.Paper

Pat what happened to Mrs.Paper did she get through her husbands death over seas my heart goes out to her and Ronald jr. I`m a military brat myself i understand the loss of a Family member my dad passed away 3yrs ago he was a Lt.Commander in the US Navy for 27yrs im so sorry i hope you will continue withthe story Pat i really enjoyed the story.

Pat Murray

Atlanta,Ga.

bornagainbornagainover 17 years ago
Mrs.Paper

Pat what happened to Mrs.Paper did she get through her husbands death over seas my heart goes out to her and Ronald jr. I`m a military brat myself i understand the loss of a Family member my dad passed away 3yrs ago he was a Lt.Commander in the US Navy for 27yrs im so sorry i hope you will continue withthe story Pat i really enjoyed the story.

Pat Murray

Atlanta,Ga.

batjac69batjac69over 17 years ago
The moral of the story?

So the moral of the story is the 2 adulterers were really fornicators since both their spouses were KIA as they were doing the wang dang.

Sisterhood might be good on TV and in stories, but in most cases it is just the death notice and the spouse picks up the pieces. It is too bad there is not more of a family as the military is filled with too much fraternity immorality which makes it difficult on those people who actually have good conduct and are serving a grateful nation.

Your story was not erotic, but it was the stench of vomit in all it's refuse. Nothing appealing, but the people the moral should go to are still making sheets sticky and betraying their spouses, colleagues and nation.

X_BishopX_Bishopover 17 years ago
Bravo

Pat

This was an excellent story. I saw the husbands death coming and it still hit me hard. The Epilogue was an interesting flip but I think the story stood tall without it.

Harry and Daluent I was going to comment but after reading your respective remarks and thinking it over a second time - ya'll ain't worth it.

Pat again an excellent story.

Read ya later

Bishop

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 17 years ago
What a story

Very sad; very moving.

The only good thing about the war in Iraq is that we're not blaming the GI's for the stupidity of our elected leaders (on both sides of the isle - the TweedleDee Party and the TweedleDum Party) like we did during and after Vietnam.

Nightowl22Nightowl22over 17 years ago
A very sad story

Sad that she spent the night in infidelity and sad she lost her husband. And she feels the sorrow from both.

Lt Halls wife? I kinda felt that was there to remind us that nowadays the men can have the problem also!

michael1950michael1950over 17 years ago
A widowers reply

Wow , when I was a grunt sargent in the Air Force just beck from Okinowa, during Viet-Nam, I had been home only one day when my wife told me she had fucked some other guy while I was gone for a year. Well we worked that out I thought, cause I loved her and we had a son, and she got pregnant a short time later. But she went off her rocker and I came home from the grocery one day getting some Dr Pepper for my wife, to our house off base, only to find her streched out on the couch with my rifle laying across her chest, a spat of blood and a hole the size of a penny over her heart. The two kids were alright, but she was dead and my world went straight to hell that was in October 0f 73, and reading your story took me back to that living room and that couch. I had one visit with a chaplin, but not one bit of support from anyone else, so death is a great leveler, the infidelity will haunt her from now on and she probably will go a little mad, I know I did. Powerful story,

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
They Both Got What They REALLY Wanted

They both cheated. Therefore could not have loved their

spouses. So they both got what they wanted. Too bad the colonel's wife didn't rub her face in it.

Orion623Orion623over 17 years ago
A good story

until the last paragraph. The ending was just to pat to be believable.

SalamisSalamisover 17 years ago
Thought Provoking

I have come to expect well written, thought provoking stories from you, and this was no exception. The ‘sisterhood’ has saved many a marriage and maintained the sanity of many wives in waiting. However, it was the last paragraph of the story that I found most unsettling, probably because it reflects a product of the times. What support group is there for those like Larry?

Scorpio44Scorpio44over 17 years ago
Wise words

It would be good if lots of those in unifgorm read this story. During the 60's when I was in uniform there were lots of "let's not think about tomorrow" people in the clubs... and way too many who faced the death of loved ones the next day.

Well written. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
get out and vote and stop the killing

i suppose the troops and not the old men who send them to war,so they can get rich.the guy who was responible for 9/11 is he in iraq.all the blame in the world isn't cause by the lt.adulter wife.there a lot to go around starting washington,d.c.the most of the blame is ours for letting it happen and not doing a thing about it.get out and vote for who you think can stop the killing .

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Well done story, Patricia!

This was a story about real people and real life ... not life as some readers would have it to be.

The writing, is, of course, excellent as always.

The story is sad but life is like that.

The epilogue wasn't necessary but it does add a little to life's balances.

I paid my dues with the 82nd airborne - I have the highest respect for those who make the military their career. It ain't easy!

Well done, Jack

The NavigatorThe Navigatoralmost 17 years ago
So true to life

Patricia, it is obvious you are not only a gifted writer but you have also been intimate with the military life. For those here who are not familiar, the military life is most unlike civilian life. The wives *do* look out for each other. The military member and his/her family bond easily and quickly with other military families. And they separate, when necessary, just as easily. That is, the families, one to another. <p> <p> <p>

Because I had command positions much of my military career, my wife had to perform at several times in a manner somewhat similar to your Colonel's wife. Fortunately, she had the character to do it. Only one of my officers and his wife got into a messy situation, but I know of several others who really destroyed their families. One wife left her husband and five children, got a local government divorce and never communicated with her children again. What a load the husband had to carry, bringing his family back to the U.S. without their mother. But the military personnel and their spouses helped him endlessly. <p> <p> <p>

Thank you, Patricia, for reminding me of those years. They were wonderful years, in a wonderful "community". And the brief glimpse you gave of military family life was superbly done.

Tearsofsorrow2Tearsofsorrow2over 15 years ago
One comment

This was a tearful story. I take exception to one quote.

"But how can I?" Marge burst out.

"Because you don't have any choice," was the answer.

This is in response to her infidelity. You always have a choice. An honourable person would know what needs to be done.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
sad story

Very sad story but no matter what you do in life she lost her husband when she cheated.There are larrys everywhere my heart would go out to the kids not the spouses who cheat in the name of being lonely.I know with her for a mom he is going to spend a lot of lonely nights her next excuse for cheating is going to be how she treated her dead husband.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
ironic eh

the way some things work out ...

VulcezVulcezover 13 years ago
How do you comment on perfection?

Perfect. Simply perfect.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago

Good story. I like how you portrayed the wife. Sure she screwed up but she isn't some vile slut. Loneliness can cause people to do things that they would never do and she realized that right quick.

And well the ending there made me wonder if perhaps Larry the "other man" wasn't trying to curb his lonliness as well. Afterall he's about to get the same news as Marge.

RePhilRePhilover 13 years ago
Wow

Girl you sure can write! How about sending us a romance between those who once were enemies

huedogghuedoggabout 13 years ago
i liked it

I am a military man myself and wouldn't wish this on any service member, but damn they got what they deserved, wwwwwoooooooohhhhhhhaaaaaaaa, the good die young.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Too true

Well written and pretty accurate. This stuff really happens. Spouses of deployed service members are all too human and make mistakes sometimes. Loneliness sucks. Doesn't make her behavior right; just is what it is and the author conveyed that perfectly.

RonRWoodRonRWoodover 12 years ago
Bullcrap!

You wrote a beautiful and a true story Patricia about every war in history...

I cannot even come close to believing the negative commenters. Harry...you make me want to puke. I would smash you in the face if I could just meet you. You are so stupid you don't even know you turn other reader's stomachs.

I spent 6 years in the Marines.18 months in Viet-Nam. Right now...I defy any of you miltary men that ever went overseas or even TDY, (Temporary duty away) to tell me that 7-8 out of every 10 military men "Did Not" cheat. Most did because they could, and they were just lonely and horny! Our hooches were wall-papered with Hustler and Penthouse pictures. I don't care whether you had just got married or been married a long time...you cheated. You did so "In Country" or on RR (Rest & Recuperation)in another country. There are hundreds of thousands of left behind and forgotten babies in Okinawa, Japan, Germany, Thailand, Viet Nam, Singapore, Australia, Malaysia, Hawaii, Iraq, Kuwait. They all have American military fathers.

Jeezus...that you would condemn lonely wives left behind as being total sluts tells me what male hypocrites you really are. You pompous ass Harry...you don't fool me. You have gotten old and puritanical, but you had your day when you were young. You too Zed!

Yes, you are right, as soon as 300 Marines left Camp Pendleton for Viet Nam, a list of available wives with addresses were put up on the bulletin board. If they lived in Oceanside or Carlsbad, California, or if they lived on base, they were soon sought after because the remaining military men would know they would be amenable to male company when they got lonely.

I sent my own wife back to her Mother's house because I knew about that list when I shipped out. But damn it...over 58,000 wives lost their husbands in that 10 year war. Up to 40,000 thousand of those that died probably cheated on their wives! Does that make them any less heros? Does that make all their widows sluts if any of them stepped out while waiting? Some of you people rile me...if you hadn't noticed.

Think before you condemn people, just like the good women in this story did. And I don't care that this is just fiction. Patria touched on a reality here...and it pisses me off that you continue with your negative bullshit when it concerns war heros and their spouses! Sorry!

cueball961cueball961over 12 years ago
Sad, But True

This one was a close hit. As a former active duty Marine, I've seen this happen all too often. I've had more than one married buddy find out Jodi had come calling while he was deployed. It has to be gut wrenching to have to leave a wife and children behind when you deploy in the first place. To add the knowlege that there is infidelity makes it even rougher.

I was a volunteer, post draft. I knew what I was getting into, and decided well before I enlisted that any long term relationships were a pipe dream. It just wasn't fair to a young lady to put her through the long separation and the temptation she would face. Of course I heeded well the pithy suggestion we were collectively given by the Corps, "If you needed a wife, we would issue you one." I therefore avoided any complications in my own love life. There is the possibility that there is a half Japanese, Korean, or Filipino little Cueball halfway around the world though.

One thing that we should all remember after reading this little tale. It is not a foregone conclusion that all military spouses will cheat, male or female. Many are faithful to their vows, just as they are faithful in their service to our nation. I also stand fully aware, and am in great respect of, the faithful husbands, wives, and children of the men and women of our Armed Services. God bless them all. Semper Fi!

IN11ZIN11Zover 12 years ago
The Supreme Sacrifice

Ultimately, commentators can say what they want.........because who's to know whether what they say is true or not? (as in actual Service, Combat experience etc)

God knows that there are enough delusional old men running around out there wearing medals to which they have never been entitled.

Those who excuse a military spouse's amoral behaviour because their better halves are deployed and supposedly living it up (ie R&R, Out of Theatre Leave etc) in between dodging incoming are nothing more than moral relativists ie that's you RonRWood you REMF!

As a person with Military experience - I've seen a bit of s**t and this excellent story rings true although I would have hoped that the 'wives club' would have been active prior to the husband's deployment (as well as during it) rather than once he became KIA. Rest assured dear readers that an 'official' support policy is in place for all deployed personnel.

One point about this story is the good LT Hall would now no longer have to report to his CO on the Monday morning.

Author.......I thank you for this thought provoking story. 5*****

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
RonRwood

The answer is YES.

I don't give a fuck how fucking hard you think you are. You talk like a fag who makes up his own rules and morals as he goes. Fuck you. Just because you've seen some shit, does not make you an authority. Did every soldier act like a fucking horndog, or just your mates?

Been in the military myself, and seen just as many loyal and true couples as I have the other type. So, fuck you buddy.

TavadelphinTavadelphinabout 12 years ago
Too much absolue - ism

People are fallible - they make mistakes -

This story was about one of those - she fucked up and knew before the news came -

Be careful how you judge her - be careful how you judge the ass she was with who was the predator - just read the language. His wife was at risk and he spoke the way he did about her husband - she was desperate and weak and failed -

It is kind of that simple -

Really well written thanks -

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Thank you

She was wrong. She knew it. She packed up her guilt and will make her son a man proud of his father. She will help others with similar issues.

Thanks again.

NymphWriterNymphWriterover 11 years ago
Break Out the Kleenex!!!

I love this story because it could happen.

How often have we done something so stupid only to have it compounded by something else that we are blindsided by? It's easy to say that all military members are whores... but really... this could happen to anyone. The realism and heart break is what makes this story great! It also reminds us how precious life is... and how we must own up to our mistakes... even if we wish we could go back and change things... it is our mistakes that shape us... and help make us who we are. We make mistakes as humans... but it's the lessons we learn from them that make all the difference.

Thanks Patricia51!!! I love your stuff. Totally worth 5 *****'s.... actually... this on I'd give 10 if I could!!!

Hope those who read this had lots of tissues! I know I needed them.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Oh, my

As a combat vet, this story had me reliving the fears, courage, loyalty, and temptations all these people faced. Thanks for what was for me a fully-feeling memory of a time in my life I never will (or want to) forget.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Too real.

This story isn't just fiction. Sadly, it's happening every day. As a young guy in the military, the only line I drew as far as women was to NEVER play around with any married woman. Not just military wives, all wives. I've always hated cheating, and think guys that do go after married women are just as scummy as the women. Not more, not less. Scum is scum.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveabout 11 years ago
Thought Provoking

All people who cheat on their spouses in the military should be shot. Defending our country is noble and disrespecting your spouse who puts their life on the line is despicable. This tale shows consequences involved.

Don't cheat.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
9 out of 10 of we civilians

simply do NOT understand what the South Asian conflicts have done and are doing to our Army. About a year ago I heard an NPR interview with an SF Major headed back for his....13th tour!

Once again, your empathetic writing style is simply amazing. Thank you for sharing with us.

Alaska84Alaska84almost 11 years ago
Very good!

I saw this happen many times during my 26 years in the military. Having to notify a spouse of a death is only second to having to notify the parents of the death of a young child! The notifications are heartbreaking to everyone involved. My heart goes out to the clergy and notification teams.

I have no sympathy for the cheaters. Some cheaters get what they deserve.

Thank you for sharing this story!

cantbuymycantbuymyalmost 11 years ago

very good, more than very good. US Army Retired.

OneShotOneOneShotOnealmost 11 years ago
In my 26 years in the Army

I figured out the biggest sluts in the world are the civilian wives of active duty military men.

In order: Marine wives, Navy wives, Army wives and then Air Force wives. So no one should be surprised at this story.

connoisseur29connoisseur29over 10 years ago
U nailed it!

Patty, you got that right. Old USN here with a CPO Grandson. Good story. Cheers! P.S. Love your bio art! LOL!

chiefcj46chiefcj46over 10 years ago
Yes !!!!!

I wish my first wife had read this before she left me. I wasn't even on a cruise yet. Saw a lot and much was like both of them, weather they wanted to cheat or just caught up in the excitement, it still hurt. I retired as a CPO and know both sides. It hurt me and the Navy. Best story I have read in years. Thank You.

connoisseur29connoisseur29over 9 years ago
****

Bless those put in harms way. Give courage to those left behind. Cheers!

sugnasugnaover 8 years ago
Military Life

Military life introduces a whole new set of challenges for a marriage. Decent people still do not cheat. Scum use the long periods of separation as an excuse for every kind of bad behavior including cheating. Just because a person serves in the military, it does not make them a saint, and it certainly does not make their spouse a saint either.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
a cheater is there because of who they are, not the circumstances

when in training my fiancé wrote me a letter telling me she was going on dates, everyone was surprised I dropped her

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
the other side

True story-a young wife and mother was devoted to her army husband. He was sergeant station in texas. Before his first tour in iraq she confessed to him some things she did long before they were married. She probably should not have done so but she felt guilty having kept it from him and she might not see him again. During their marriage he always treated her in a condescending manner. Truth is he was verbally and emotionally abusive.

While in iraq he engaged in numerous affairs including some with thos subordinate to him.

She could have had his stripes but she stoppef the charges.

That apple, the sergeant, didn't fall far from his mother's tree.

She is on her 3rd husband and has had numerous affairs.

Details on Facebook profile of dearbornmt@yahoo.com

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 7 years ago
WOW!

He's an asshole, but I can almost feel sorry for Lt. Hall.

The amount of guilt that he's going to be carrying around, it may be deserved, but still...

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 7 years ago
Re-Reading

At least he didn't die after getting a "Dear John" letter.

EMiamiRiverRatEMiamiRiverRatover 6 years ago
A sad but all too true story

What was the point being made in this story and from whose perspective - the children, the parents, the grandparents?

It was not sweet and sour; it was sour and then more sour. First two spouses were cheating on their mates who were in combat zones, then both mates were KIA.

It sucked in every dimension, a pointless and very black tale. Me? A 'Nam vet, aka 'baby-killer'.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
special

i'd give you a a ten <10> not possible. spap hapy papy #9 with love.......

EMiamiRiverRatEMiamiRiverRatover 6 years ago
War is Hell

Good story; but what audience did you aim at? Was it the self-centered cheating spouses, or the vets who worry every day about the possibility that THEIR spouse is cheating and taking away their only safe harbor - a touchy audience.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
@sbrooks103 - Wow

You feel sorry for Hall?????

I used to mostly value your comments-works but that stumped me.

Of all predators he is worst. Not only does he cheat on in-service wife, but he seduces the wives of his fellow soldiers...Leavenworth is where you can contact him...adultery is military crime...add in conduct unbecoming an officer...

No punishment is to harsh for that treacherous tomcat

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Kharma

The soldiers who take advantage of lonely wives of other soldiers fighting overseas do not deserve to wear the uniform. I pray for nothing less than the harshest payback to them. Because they truly deserve it. Kharma.

26thNC26thNCabout 6 years ago
Too real

I just found this story and it cut deep. I served 8 years as an officer in the Army with several short postings stateside. I lost a fiance on my first Iraqi deployment, and was single throughout my service. Truly, there was a great deal of this cheating going on in country, on the larger, safer bases, as well as stateside. I deplore cheating, and never dated married or committed women. Those who cheated were well known. Men talked, other wives spread the word. A military post is a tight community, and you can't hide. The flag covered coffins broke my heart, especially the men I knew. The most pathetic thing I saw were the known cheaters, dressed in their black, wiping bitter tears, accepting the flag from their dead soldier's coffin. How they lived with themselves, I could never understand then and I don't now. This story was , as I said too real. Thank you.

FD45FD45almost 6 years ago
Now what?

This is a necessary story. It doesn't stop with infidelity; we all make horrible mistakes which require righting the wrongs. Maybe you are a husband who invests in a 'sure thing' and BOOM, now you need to file bankruptcy! How does a wife forgive? How do you forgive yourself?

There are two sorts of people: those who have a soul and those who don't. A woman like this, who has a soul, will feeling the baying of the hounds of hell behind her for the rest of her life. They may get a bit farther away if she reforms her life, but they will still be heard back in the moor.

Then you have soulless bitches and NOTHING is going to make them feel bad. Or at least they will never ever admit it or their grief washes off with the next scotch.

So why bother doing anything to them? The only remedy is to avoid that toxic person.

So, would the BTBers want this mother to be destroyed? She has a son. And no, giving that kid to someone else is not a better answer.

So as a path to finding a way to continue living after a destructive mistake...I can get down with this story. Grace, forgiveness, redemption. These are just as much a part of our culture and religion as judgment, morals, and punishment.

God took care of the punishment side, so now us mere mortals need to do the Grace work with her.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Sobering

Sadly, Marge is not very likable. But, that's OK. This story is very telling of the human condition especially with the military folks have to deal with. For a spouse to survive this there needs to be a strong spouse network. Usually, this becomes the responsibility of the commander's spouse.

I love the Tina Davis character: strong, firm and yet compassionate. The is what Marge needs at this point in her life.

jharpjharpalmost 6 years ago

This stkry hit home hard. In my experience? Typical army wife. Fucking entitled sluts most of them were. During my first deployment more than 75% of the Marriages ended in divorce with the wife having cheated. In some cases the guys came home to empty bank accounts and empty houses with an Attorney and divorce papers waiting. In other cases these men came home to children they didn't father. They'd get divorced and end up paying child support for children not their own and then raped also for Pussymony...sorry I mean Alimony.

Military wives are the worst. The media loves to portray them as the silent heroes and for those that remain loyal that's true. But I know the truth. As do most men who has ever spent any time around them. They can't wait for their husbands to leave so they can hit the club and slut it up. And while there is a special place in hell for wives who cheat while their husbands serve, there should so be a special place saved for those who actively persue married women. Not to sound racist, and I don't give a fuck if you don't like it, but while all guys who peruse married womem are scum, its the black guys who aren't Military (and some who are) are the worst. When the husbands are home you don't see a hint of these guys. They have enough survival instincts to stay well enough away more often than not. Then when Hubby is out on maneuvers or deployed they're suddenly out in force, like cockroaches. And sadly they pull more than their fair share of married pussy. Most of them dumb white wives looking for the magical unicorn of BBC, but not all of them are white. Black and Hispanic or Asian, fuck they're all fair game to these assholes. And then theyre leeching off the wife, no fucking job, often doing drugs and bragging about how they're getting back at the White man by fucking and sometimes impregnating his bitch.

Soon as Hubby comes home they scamper off like the roaches they are. And from my experience more than a few Husbands hunted them down and extracted some retribution. I've seen it happen.

Still, it's good to see a story that goes into the seedy life of a cheating military spouse.

266xxyz266xxyzover 5 years ago
True that jharp!

When the fleet was ready to shove off, all the wives Enlisted or officer, would drive thru the gates hanging on their husbands and crying. Coming out their skirts were up to their pussy and their blouses were open. Game on. And that was almost 50 yrs ago. I would bet things have gotten even worse since.

overthehillmedicoverthehillmedicabout 5 years ago
Jharp hit it on the head

This is a great reminder to all who have not served this country. There are a multitude of reasons when they come back, all of their spouses have changed, many not positive but negative!

danoctoberdanoctoberabout 5 years ago
Very clever.

Twilight zone stuff. Original story line. *****

danoctoberdanoctoberover 4 years ago
Second time through.

More impressed. What an impossible/horrible situation to wake up with. From the wife's POV, she must have completely tripped out. The entire story timeline is less than 18 hours. Here are some of the fine points :

(1) The small number of words that created a very intense non-erotic Loving Wives tale.

(2) How far out this situation is and the dynamics of the relationships between all the characters. All these people meeting for the first time as a result of the death of a solider.

(3) This all happens in less than a day. Very nice indeed. Why so? It is not easy to write a story that includes all the above. That's all.

This is what came across in the second reading. Full points. 5 Stars.

26thNC26thNCabout 4 years ago

Your toughest story for me to read. It still bothers me two years later.

tkh3nkey2110tkh3nkey2110about 4 years ago
You reap what you sow

There are two people that will suffer a lifetime for a few minutes of illicit pleasure. Shame, shame.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Karma

It really is a bitch. Very good story.

26thNC26thNCover 3 years ago

The first and most emotional Patricia51 story. This one packs a gut punch to anyone who has served.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Great Story

But painful, - oh! so painful! 5*s.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 3 years ago

@Anonymous Re: Lt. Hall - I said ALMOST feel sorry for him, not that I did.

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15over 3 years ago
Lt. Hall

I do feel sorry for him. His whole world just ended. He will regret his mistake for the rest of his life. But will he have the support he needs to get through it.

SignedBTWSignedBTWalmost 3 years ago

You Can Certainly

Throw a hard punch to take one right down on their knees, wish you were still writing here. Wow, *****;s Signed: BTW

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

During war or pretend war people die and the people left behind pay a very dear price as does the people in the notification office and detail that have to tell the family

that dreaded knock on the door no mater the time of day.

Great story the ending was as it is and your follow up is how it goes true to life

All gave some Some gave ALL

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

A simple story that becomes so much more. A story that becomes so deep and sad that i found myself struggling to breathe. A simple story that made this 60 year old oilfield worker tear up, there is so much more to this than just cheating wives. Incredable story, very well presented and I'm so glad that i read this. Thank you.

inka2222inka2222over 2 years ago

5 stars. Very well written and very moving

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Tough and rough road for military. USMC only 4 years as single and could not see married life surviving. Too many duty stations no dependents.

usaretusaretabout 2 years ago

I was brought to tear as soon as I read the Casualty Notification Team was at the door. I, a retired Army NonCom, knew what was coming. Well written, your understanding of our military family “we take care of our own standards , put into the comments by the LTC’s wife was prevalent during my time of service (1960 - 1982), I hope it has endured to these severe times of our military history. Thank you.

kelchakelchaabout 2 years ago

I think of the more than one million Iraqi families who were informed that a loved one has died due to USA.

TangomoreTangomorealmost 2 years ago

Great story, great writing and great moral. Sad too many suffer this way. Tina is uplifting.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Don't know why but some stories grip me others don't especially when the spelling mistakes start from the beginning example poor water into container, but the way you spelt it you used the word referring to something of lesser value instead of Pour. This to me reads either a rushed job or poor judgment of writing as if words though sound the same little of understanding them mean nothing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Had a chance to read this story is really.good, lots of research done, but this for me is a big but, the writer seems to fixated with using the full stop almost every few words, little use of commas, 11 full stops in just one short paragraph, as having been on the side of critics from both the lawyers that run this site, and proof readers, independent to this site, I find that this seems a little over the top.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Incredibly, surprisingly, powerful and poignant.

A real look into the weaknesses, and the costs, of being human.

Thank you, from an ex servicemen. One lucky enough to only lose one brother... through suicide.

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

!st fuck off to all grammar nazis, if you can understand the story, read enjoy dont whatever. Us non grammar experts don't need you to show off your self righteous needle nosed elitism and knowledge of the engerish language specifics, rat turd.

Good emotive story, to bad 90+% of the useless US citizenry dont relate to it or empathize w/ it or actually give a shit about our military. Many of them(citizens) and all mdemocraps are ready to give up many if not all 10 of the bill of rights in xchange for what?; a living wage(is that for unwed mom of 2 or the married trophy wife w/ hubby earning 500k?), the right not to be bothered to discuss the difference b/w whats good for the country vs whats good for a power hungry and tyrannical anti american democrap party, and for safe spaces where nobody dies from drugs, guns, med malpractice, govmnt indifference etc. The country is populated by lazy selfish stupid people today. And unfortunately, im not sure that todays military wives still act like in this story today, if they do, its only in well led and high esprit de corps outfits. rk

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Thankyou for this storey. There is much written of the service men and women, but little mentioned about their spouses. My family have a military tradition, though I chose not to serve myself, so I have seen first hand some of the problems. You captured the feelings well. As for spelling and grammer - sorry, but I did not notice - I was too involved with the storey.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous