All Comments on 'Give It Away'

by JakeRivers

Sort by:
  • 32 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
enough

I'm miserable enough, don't need you to heap any more sadness on me

DesertPirateDesertPirateover 17 years ago
Different

DJ,

No cheating, no revenge, just two people who can't make it work, sounds like real life to me! Sad but all to common these days. I agree with everything you said about the song and about George, it sticks with me too.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Nice one Jack.

Readers please note, I have it on good authority that there is a second chapter to this story in the works.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
From the author

For those of you that find this to sad: there is a sequel already posted, called "Give It Away - Reprise" There is an update posted for this story and according to the posting guidelines, the edited one should have been posted, not this one:

"Have you made changes to the work OR even just viewed it & hit SUBMIT while it is "Pending"? Stories and poems are approved by date, oldest to newest. Whenever the author makes changes to a story or poem - oreven if the author clicks on the submission and hits SUBMIT again - that submission is moved to the end of the queue. To speed up the posting of your work, only make changes when necessary."

Regards, Jack

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
i don't know

i don't know if i believe the cause Cindy gives for the dissolution of the marriage.

she talks about the fear of loss - but nothing in the story especially illustrates that fear. instead she goes on and on about the fighting, how she felt dissatisfied with the compromises that are part of marriage, about how she felt about losing her independence (self).

it seems to me that her immaturity and selfishness is as great a breakup cause as any fear of his death. he is selfish too, we all are, but she took it further - and she left. we can feel the self delusion, if i am right.

well written.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Sad

It's cloudy and dreary here. Your story kinda fits the mood of the day. Thank you for sharing.

peggytwittypeggytwittyover 17 years ago
A very well done sad romance

Some times it is the hardness of life we grow from. Sometimes the harness just keeps us in one place and the pain never goes away. A real love is too hard to get a handle on by many, so each deals with it in an individual way.

Conway Twitty’s “15 Years Ago” tells of a love that cannot be shaken from the mind. Life goes on but the pain and memories just linger and bring back the sadness when they appear.

A very well done story of life and the sadness we have when we cannot tell our love of our true feelings. It is a slow death to any love that has no sharing of the truth in our hearts and souls.

George Strait’s song has haunted me and the memories it evokes.

Thank you

PT

SweetWitchSweetWitchover 17 years ago
Sadly beautiful

This is, without a doubt, one of the most sorrowful and exquisite stories I have ever read. It dives into one’s heart and leaves a desire to fix the wrongs in one’s own life before it’s too late.

Thank you, DJ.

rlg99rlg99over 17 years ago
Sad but Good

You have a lot of talent. Keep Writing.

Bob

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Sad but true

Jack.

Military and police families are hit the hardest by divorce because of the separations and/or danger, more so then any other segments of society. It's a fact and not a pleasant one; just a fact. For the depressed readers who decried your story they need to consider that life is not all a romp in the hay nor is it always loving. Sometimes it's nasty and depressing and we need to be reminded of reality from time to time. Well told. Thank You. Ronnie W.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Sad but ???

??? means that I had mixed emotions on this story.

On one hand you would think after 1 year she would have communicated the real reason for her anger and discontent to the one person she claimed to be the love of her life. You would think that she would cherish the moments together as well as the great service he is providing their community. The simple truth is that no one can be assured of a long life and those who place themselves in harm's way tend to take special care.

On the other hand, the story pointed out the fraility of relationships so Jerry and Cindy were better off moving on since they grew to make each other unhappy and life is too short for that. If they had kids then that would have been the tragedy.

Great bittersweet story!

SleeplessinMD

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
A plausible story

A continuation is offered but I can't see the need. Stuff happens; it can be tough but you survive.

Nightowl22Nightowl22over 17 years ago
Great story

A really powerful story and well written!!

It can't get much sadder than this, can it?

I guess there are situations between two people that just can't be resolved, through no fault of their own.

Ke Se Ra, Se Ra.

What will be, will be

Doris Day

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
you give a lot in this story

A beautifully sad story from a beautifully sad song. I also fell in love with the George Strait song that you're talking about. thanks so much for writing a story like this.

Tearsofsorrow2Tearsofsorrow2over 15 years ago
Touching

One of the most touching stories I have ever read. Seeing myself in the same situation I would move and sell everything. Every room would remind me of what I lost and that would kill me.

The NavigatorThe Navigatorover 14 years ago
Oh, so moving

Jake, each time I read this wonderful story, I learn something new. That is the sign of a great story, very well written.

teh568teh568over 13 years ago
This Is One Good Story...But

This story is a very poignant look at what can happen to a marrige when there is no communication. If she would have said something about her feelings maybe he could have put in for a transfer to a less stressful (and safer) job within the dept. She said that she couldn't do that to him, so instead she waited until it was too late to save thier marriage and perhaps thier lives as well. I see the true ending to be a dark one. Shortly after the divorce, I forsee Jerry eating his gun. After this, Cindy would also probably end up killing herself. Maybe compromise (which needs comm.) is looking to be a better result then what she did. The only thing that keeps this story from being great is that there is basically no return from the paths they both took...too dark.

0649d0649dover 13 years ago
hmm... doesn't make sense

I've read this story before, and it's likeable because it's emotional, especially because of the male character. However the wife's problem is very confusing. I'm not being anti-female here as I know females who actually do make sense, but she is not one of them.

"It took me a couple of years to understand that what was between us - what was causing the problems - was Jerry's job" - what the hell does that mean? Her selfishness and constant bickering for example that they should drink Chardonnay is somehow her husband's job's fault? Sheesh, take a reality-pill, woman. Maybe she doesn't show the link well, but I cannot see any hint of it at all apart from her just saying it (without giving real evidence). But maybe I'm not supposed to understand a woman's feelings because they're so seemingly irrational?

The husband is better off divorced. In fact she should have done him a favour at the start when they met, blown him off (not give him blow job, haha - I mean "reject"), showing the bitch that she is and making him realise that he's better off without her! That said, I'm only saying this as my thoughts before (re-)reading the sequel.

MrVdogMrVdogover 11 years ago
So unbelievably sad.

Kind of like Kitty Russell and Matt Dillon - she had eyes for no one else, he couldn't marry her for fear of leaving her a widow. Sometimes life requires you to just take a chance.

5 stars, I liked it!

cliffhanger20cliffhanger20over 11 years ago
I GAVE IT A 5. BUT?

Are you sure that this is what George was really thinking when he collaborated on this song? There another song out there, something about She had to change when she couldn't change me!

monkcalmmonkcalmover 10 years ago
WTF you cry babies

how is it sad now he is free from her evil..wwwwooooohooooooo! throw a freak'en party, every man should get this lucky, the crazy bitch is gone! finding someone better than her is easier than shitting,where are his buddies picking him up and letting him know he just escaped a soon to be cheating bitch of monumental proportions.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 10 years ago
Monk is Right

He is definitely better off. She was looney toons and was for a long time. She would have cheated and he would have been more heartbroken than he was at the breakup. Chapter 2 huh? We'll see...

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 10 years ago
No she was no cheater -

She had integrity if not courage -

Does he deserve something better than her fear and ongoing terror of the day the call comes - sure he does -

But beyond failing to see the future she did nothing wrong except fail to communicate - like so damn many other people in their 20's and 30's - he was more nature and fixed than she was - that is something he could have seen too but he was in love so he didn't/ No great fault - two people who failed to see it and fix it.

Let's see where it goes -

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 9 years ago
Loving it

Very well developed and heart wrenching. Five stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
A silly choice

She couldn't live with the thought of losing him so she leaves him and looses him just the same. Either choice is the same result.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
depressing shit

just another stupid, selfish bitch. good riddance. not a good story. *

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Seems Not Finished?

Well written, but left a bad taste in my mouth. She knew who he was and what he did.

She recognized that she was the one causing the daily issues in their relationship, yet her departure was as if she was the injured party. Poor guy didn't know what hit him.

A more tactful, less hateful, leaving would have been more appropriate. Would seem that her problems required some counseling and maybe the marriage would have been successful.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Whine baby, whine

Both those losers needed somebody to bitch slap the whine, boo hoo, poor me, out of both of them.

NoBullAlNoBullAlabout 4 years ago
Wasted my time...

It is certainly an understandable situation but if you are going to write a story give us an ending... something like.... She realizes what a wimp bitch she is and gets hit by a bus or he is fatally wounded as he tries to rescue her from her new abusive boyfriend. Part of an author’s job is to entertain the reader not piss them off!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Another asshole who doesn't believe vows

Spouse comes first

Any spouse puts job first just asshole

jtwheels

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

He's a cuck Policeman with a cheating skank wife so who cares about their fucking past!!

Husband is a fucking wimp

Omart57Omart573 months ago

Well written sad tale!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous

story TAGS

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

SIMILAR Stories