All Comments on 'Being in the Fire Was Better'

by billwendel

Sort by:
  • 22 Comments
Kanga40Kanga40over 17 years ago
Good first story

Hey, it's a good story, first or not.

Maybe someone will add to it, but you really did finish it at a place it can easily stay.

I'll be waiting for your next story.

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 17 years ago
This story has a LOT of potential

so far I love the way you are writing this. I just HOPE that JPB doesnt get a hold of it... or winterfrog for that matter ROTFLOL...

seriously you should write your own sequel or continuation or next next chapter at some point

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
what now?

a fine job!i hope you continue the story.

zed0zed0over 17 years ago
A Good Beginning!

Looking forward to the ending. Don't be afraid to finish it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Wow!

I cannot believe how I felt as I read your story. It was really moving and the irony of it all almost overwhelming.

Alvaron53Alvaron53over 17 years ago
Powerful writing style

Powerful writing. The author's style is a little unpolished but the prose conveys the essence of the story and the characters well.

The author does a good job showing us who Eric is. He works hard at a worthwhile job as a fireman. He loves his mates and willingly risks his life for them, especially his best bud Ricky. He's devastated by Ricky's death but he doesn't question the rightness of what he does. He knows that demon Fire will claim the lives of those who fight him but Eric isn't deterred. It's noble and admirable and we like Eric as a man and as a human being.

Maria's infidelity with the brother of his best friend's wife is shocking and we see her as the antithesis of Eric. She's selfish and foolish, willing to betray her marriage vows to satisfy her own base desires. Eric is devastated by her deception, humiliated by her disrespect of him and terribly hurt by her offering her body and her affection to another man.

The plot is uncomplicated and there's not much doubt about the final resolution. Given who Eric is, I can't see the couple staying together and divorce is best for the both of them. Eric can put Maria's infidelity behind him and get on with his life. Maria can find someone who doesn't mind her cheating.

The author's writing is the best element of the story. I appreciated his ability to convey the emotions of the characters without being fantastic.

Excellent fiction this is. This 100's for you, billwendel, for a story well-told. I thank you for your effort and hope to read more of your stories in the future.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
This Story And You Owe Nothing to Anyone

Your attitude towards your work is refreshing but in the face of it - it stands tall as it is and needs no embellishment or continuation.

There is but one reasonable thing to do now and that is to create another for us to enjoy.

As a first or any this was done well Author. We understood him and his outlook on being responsible. You had us walk with him through some very demanding and imposing problems. He emerged with purpose and self respect but looks awkwardly towards his future as anyone would.

He survives and does well as we know his character demands it and he deserves some better fortune.

Author - your talented efforts are appreciated with more looked forward to.

Your work in this cauldron of Martial Consequence is particularly appreciated as you portrayed real people feeling and acting as they might. Reality is like that.

With High Regard

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Superb Beginning!

I loved the way you were able to paint a pretty clear picture of Eric and Ricky in a few paragraph. As to Eric's wife she really has no excuse (Eric as a fireman had to man his shift so she knew when he would be absent). The fact that Maria was his best friend also deepens the betrayal. Please do not allow Eric to wimp out but move on if there is more to this story.

SleeplessinMD

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
keep up the with the writing

Your first submission is better than 90% of the rest of what passes for stories on this sight. You packed more emotion into a short space than many of the writers try to do in 5 times the words. Keep up the good work. I look forward to the next one.

the Troubadorthe Troubadorover 17 years ago
Don't ever apologize for excellent writing!

Where else could this story go? He had two people upon who he could rely to guard his back and help pull him out of anything he got into.

He watched one of them die. Then he held it together long enough to notify his friends wife and get home where his other best friend could bring him some kind of solice. When he got there he found she was busy betraying him for a few minutes of pleasure.

He will go on, but he will never be the same. How can he trust someone again? He'll have partners but will always keep them at arms length. As for women, he'll never have more than a series of one night stands. He can't trust life to give him back what he once thought he had, that which he lost.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
a great story,but why the weak shit

why dealing with wife was so hard,when she just shit all over you.how can you be so strong in life but weak at home.where is it written that writers have to go lite on cheating wives.confront the bitch and get over with.

X_BishopX_Bishopover 17 years ago
Excellent story

This was a deep story. The end really hit and hurt. The anonymous person who first commented is obviously either young and or drugged out or just terminally redneck stupid. I look forward to part two but this story can and does stand on it's own.

Excellent work

Read ya later

Bishop

RicticRicticover 17 years ago
Good Story

Avery good first story. hope you write more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Wonderful beginning

A great start to your story. Wonderul descripton of the tension and strain in fighting a bad fire and the shock of partners death.It faded a little bit in describing his wifes betrayal. Maybe you meant to show numbing effect of double headed shock of death and betrayal, but the story was kind of emotionless when he found wife cheating. Still a great start to your story.

60 year old George

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago

Yeah, it's so sad that it could be true.

Life can get you down at times.

And losing trust is one of the worst things that can happen.

The next one would be hope.

I sincerely hope that it's just a story.

It was strong.

Cheers

Yoron.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
As everyone has already said...

...good job. Looking forward to going and reading part 2, even though it has a lower rating.

Only 2 stories? Do more.

Dan

tazz317tazz317almost 12 years ago
SAVE SOME....LOST SOME.....

the lost ones always hurt the most, TK U MLJ LV NV

cliffhanger20cliffhanger20almost 11 years ago
The story grabs you.

I liked it a lot. It might be the same old story but it is offered up in a very interesting way. You don't need any help.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Forgiveness

Please do part 2 because the story is good and it reflects on marriage and why do and husband or!wife cheat.If you going to cheat why get marry you suppose to commute with each other when there a pro@blem.

timrivtimrivover 6 years ago

Well obviously there needs to be more to this story it’s to cut and dried.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Why did the writer write this depressing story?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

"What I know is that there were two people I could depend on. One died. The other betrayed me.

In actuality, he has two "deaths" to grieve and over come. One of them just happens to be his marriage.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous