All Comments on 'How to Succeed at Life'

by sack

Sort by:
  • 48 Comments
preacherskidpreacherskidalmost 17 years ago
Thank you

I'm an old guy and actually was aware of most of the things you shared. But, never had seen these ideas put into words before. I was lucky enough to spend 50+ years working at a profession I am passionate about. I liked your idea of a death gift box and will put one together. I'm still passionate about life and plan to spend my remaining years burning out as opposed to rusting out.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
good wisdom

Of all the places to find wisdom, an erotica site! Great job. I'm thinking about doing the obit thing. God bless you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Very Good Wisdom!

As others have said, this is not the place I would have thought to find such excellent words of wisdom. There are a lot of people that could do worse than to take some time not just to read what you've written, but to think about it and try to understand how it applies to them.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Excellent

One of the best pieces ever posted on this site. However, based on your past work, this is not at all surprising.

Thanks, Boyd

WhiteWave48WhiteWave48almost 17 years ago
Does your life work for you? Read this!

So much good advice on taking control of one's life, and all so well presented in this essay. My take exactly on how to deal with life and face death, but expressed in such an engagingly personal manner sure to attract anyone who hasn't confronted all these issues before.

train115train115almost 17 years ago
Excellent stuff

Well written, well spoken and obviously well lived. Thank you for taking the time to share this insight

BazzzBazzzalmost 17 years ago
A nice reminder

You had some good advice in this essay. Advice we have probably all heard before but as we get caught up in our lives we need a reminder from time to time. This was a nice reminder. Thanks.

Tink4FairyTink4Fairyalmost 17 years ago
Great advice!

Great advice! I especially love number 1.

Charles PetersunnCharles Petersunnalmost 17 years ago
So very thoughtful

A really wonderful essay. So very thoughtful and with a number of really nice practical suggestions. I must admit to keep putting off so much of it (the obituary struck me in particular as quite a good exercise).

Thanks!

AngelWillingAngelWillingalmost 17 years ago
yes!

definitely the best way to live life!

Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskinalmost 17 years ago
Your grandmother was right, Sack

Common sense, ain't. Good job of stating what should be obvious but we so often forget or chose to ignore.

glynndahglynndahalmost 17 years ago
Beautiful thoughts and may I add...

"find a place that makes you smile and visit there (whether in reality or just in your mind)often.

Boxlicker101Boxlicker101almost 17 years ago
Good advice

and true. I should have read this 40 years ago.

dizzyliadizzyliaalmost 17 years ago
Wonderful

sack, this was excellent. I'm passing the link along to a few good friends of mine. Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Wonderfully Done

I'm going to post this on a bulletin board at work. If everyone could see that life is only as hard as you make it. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
a good one

i was just wondering whether it is my life that you were describing even though i am 26..and i am stuck at the same position that you wrere last year.. a bad boss , a life that doesn't seem to be going anywhere..and my mistakes at workplace regarding trusting people.

I am looking foward to a change and hope that i capture your lessons on my way forward..

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Excellent

This is an extremely important article and should not be hidden away.... a lot of us need to be reminded about our destiny in life and this will certainly help.. Thanks for sharing... Naoms

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Pertains to the Human Race

Every human should read this,no matter where you are in life.Extraordinary! Very well written.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Great article leads to obituary misunderstanding

Great article - I really took a lot of positives away from it!

One of them is the new (and, I suspect, now longstanding) joke between my girlfriend and I about obituaries. I thought the suggestion to compare your own version of your own obituary with that of one written for you was a great idea, so I suggested it to my girlfriend. Unfortunately, I didn't quite communicate the premise very clearly and it came out as: "Would you mind writing an obituary for me? I'll just be in then kitchen."

In retrospect, it's hardly surprising (and somewhat comforting) that she responded by leaping off the sofa to restrain me whilst screaming: "NO! I WON'T LET YOU DO IT!"

Oops? Well, I'll put that one down to the learning curves of youth.

Take care,

(Safely Anonymous).

SadieRoseSadieRoseover 16 years ago
Excellent Advice

This should be on the curriculum, you know. I see mirrors of your story in my own life. Whenever I've done a job and stuck with it just because the money is good or it promises a little kudos I've always been let down and ended up miserable. This year I accepted a job which is more of a hobby really and although it's terrible pay and meant moving away from home completely and starting again, having to make new friends and adjust to a new way of life I wouldn't go back. Now my husband who's hated his job for years has also been forced to do something about it and is about to fulfil his dream of opening his own shop. He says that when he handed in his notice it was one of the best days of his life.

I also love the incitement to DO! When you do nothing you stagnate, it's true. Thank you so much for this.

RaycerEdgeRaycerEdgeover 15 years ago
Thank You

Your thoughtful, down-to-earth advice is very inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Fantastic list

I really liked this a lot, and some of the things you mentioned in your list I have experienced myself. Very deep meaning in your words and I thank you for sharing them.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Forgetting Comparisons..

That's so true. Men want to be that muscular quarterback and women want to be that busty supermodel, but that won't make people love you more. Just think, whoever truly loves you won't care if you're an average joe or an NBA basketball player. Having a great personality is far far better than being rich, gorgeous or famous.

Loved the story by the way.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
And Sex

Having a healthy sex life is also one of the keys to success at life. It is, after all, what separates us from rocks.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Too true

I have to say this was one of the most amazing things I've ever read. Life's only as hard as you make it and I'll be damned if I'm going to make myself work my ass off to live my own life. Thank you for sharing this. It really has inspired me.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Fellow Traveler

This parallels my recent life change and my eyes filled with tears while reading your entry. I am so glad that there are others who have found the well of life that I found as well. Extra thumbs up for the "coming to terms with death" portion. Thinking about my death and accepting it makes me enjoy life each day, all the more.

siolocsiolocalmost 13 years ago
exactly what i needed

Reading your article gave me just the answers i need at the moment. so many things are falling to shambles and i was feeling absolutely miserable only a few minutes ago... know that you saved me from doing something very silly; not suicidal but certainly damaging to my friends and family. you've given me the strength to carry on.

i've heard everything you said from various other sources, but guess i didn't learn the first time. that doesn't lessen the majesty and beauty of what you've written, or the huge impact it's having on me right now. this is the answer the universe is giving me in response to my unspoken cry for help.

i'm sure many other readers will have experienced something similar - receiving a message through someone's words or writings that seem to be an answer to their present situation. sometimes i don't have the wisdom to recognise this when it happens, but am always glad when i do.

god bless

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Thank you

You have put down very well written, precious advice. Thank you! I hope that many many readers will pick up your valuable message, let it truly sink in - and pass it on through their actions.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago

Thank you. I am in great need of advice like this at this time in my life. Dead end job, dreams left behind, shaky relationships because of my insecurities. And I wouldn't say I think I can cheat death, I merely ignore it, I am naive to my own mortality, but it is always lingering and that prevents me from living. To live you must accept that you will die.

Again thank you for sharing these wonderful bits of wisdom.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Very Nice

I really enjoyed this work on many levels.

I was lucky enough to die as a young child so I have never had a fear of death.

But I have spent too much time helping others without taking care of myself. Your essay reminds me to maintain a balance of self and others.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago

Usually I masturbate to self-help articles when I'm looking for a challenge, but this advice was so good I came right away!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Very nice.

Just after reading this has really inspired me in so many ways. I'm in the middle of changing my life around and this has truley helped me to stay motivated.

-Da Pho

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago

There's a deep truth in all you're saying, but I really liked No 6 and 8. Thanks for that!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Thanks

Just perfect

EmbrouilleEmbrouilleover 10 years ago
Excellent!

I really enjoyed reading these tips. I come back and re-read them on days I feel down or need some clarification about where I am headed in life. Many thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago

Awesome

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
First class advice!

if only everyone would do as you say.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Great advice

Very good advice. Like your idea on gift boxes. My wife and I wrote our wills last year before travelling out of the country and even that process helps to make you understand you wont be here forever. So enjoy your life now...

CadillacRoseCadillacRoseover 6 years ago
Well Expressed and Insightful

Thank you. This is a great summary of how to live a successful life.

I will incorporate your thoughts into my daily quest. Best.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Beautiful!

I absolutely loved this!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Thank you

This helps a lot

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Very wise...

This is very well written, to the point, and timeless wisdom that anybody could benefit from. In this greed filled, materialistic, me me me world, it is like a breath of fresh air. Thank you for sharing, and being of service to us.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Very well written!

Precise, to the point and very practical.

Have lived by these learning my life though remember 1-2 as and when situations demand and forget the rest at the time. Love it. So helpful.

Thanks for putting your thoughts.

gpetagpetaover 3 years ago

Thx great advices with wisdom

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Not that gpod

The tips on inner God and your death are just very 'not that good".

Thy really shouldn't be considered wrong for a topic but the details are not properly accurate.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

It was interesting to see one's self focused opinion. Pretty common sense stuff. Until the end. The end was great the one liner told to Grandma as she passed with a smile and the Seth box was and is an excellent idea .

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

great and well thought out observations.

DazzyDDazzyD10 months ago

I loved this!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous