All Comments on 'A Civilized Cuckold,The Cunning Cad'

by SoCalOvid

Sort by:
  • 21 Comments
colddieselcolddieselalmost 16 years ago
!

Good story. One error of fact, any passably successful banker would be earning many times more than the figures you used. his resignation pay off should have been at least 3 million.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
TONGUE IN CHEEK

WELL DONE!!! TONGUE DEEPLY IN CHEEK. HOWEVER, IT WAS MARK TWAIN WITH THE CIGAR COMMENT, NOT W.C. FIELDS.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Well done!

For a guy from Southern Cali, this piece sounded very Brit. Very witty and dry Brit humor, oops, humour. Kudos to your editor Rachlou too! - a non-American/Brit

RealDocRealDocalmost 16 years ago
OUTSTANDING

This one rates a true five plus. Please keep writing.

bruce22bruce22almost 16 years ago
Delightful

But in the following chapter we find that Sid is quite

aware of who is being cuckolded but needs her to help him to pick up money under the cover of Ben's trading! Around and round it goes

Kanga40Kanga40almost 16 years ago
Thoroughly enjoyable

Well done - what else is there to say?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Ah, yes

and this Caroline thanks you for portraying us with such wonderful wit.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
A Real Masterpiece

Thats all I have to say.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Not Twain, either

Give Rudyard Kipling the credit for the quote -- he was British, after all

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Again!

Again why you have to read all the stories no matter where you think it might go or you miss these little gems. Thanks and very well done!

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightalmost 16 years ago
This story had a quality seldom

found. Excellent job!

JADED_ONE1969JADED_ONE1969almost 16 years ago
There is a problem.....

And that problem is normal everyday English people DO not talk like this. Go to Manchester, Newcastle ,liverpool, Eastend of london, the west country, where ever, and you will find NO ONE talks like people in this story. Only well educated stuck up snobs talk like the that. Your common man from say Derbyshire or Cornwall wouldn't dream of talking like that, and also if a joke was told in say London, and then retold in Birmingham you would get a different slant on the joke. The same can be applied to this story, if someone British wrote this story it would be completely different.

But apart from that it was a decent story just not as funny as people think.

SoCalOvidSoCalOvidalmost 16 years agoAuthor
A Gentle Reader Corrects me Again!

I am chagrined, I am abashed, embarrassed to my very core. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

The quotation “A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke” is indeed from Kipling, from his (rather tongue-in-cheek) poem “The Betrothed.”

Now I'm am searching for my beaten up, well worn, falling apart into pieces, copy of “The Kipling Reader,” that I inherited from my father, to see if perhaps “The Betrothed” wasn't included, or if (as I suspect,) that once I had been gripped by “Gunga Din”, or “You'll Know You're a Man,” I simply missed it!

My only excuse is that the line HAS also been used in several occasions in old classic movies, hence my attribution to W.C. Fields!

Thank goodness for well-read readers to lead us back to the straight and narrow!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Keep writing

Well written, entertaining and FUN.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
I loved it!

I thoroughly enjoyed your submission; you have a great sense of humour. I was stationed in the UK for 3 years when I was in the Air Force, at times some Brits can be entirely too civilized.

NoiraNoiraabout 13 years ago
Gloriously tongue in cheek

Some time back in 2008 you recommended I read this story. Suffice to say I didn't even realize I could get email from Litsters and well, years later I stumbled upon an email and a recommendation that if I liked that story I might also like this.

Three years after the recommendation, what would you know, I DID enjoy it! Thank you very much for the chuckle and the ever so oozingly British taste of erotica. Glorious. I've always had a thing for British humor and you captured the minutiae nicely.

tazz317tazz317about 12 years ago
BY JOVE I THINK HE GOT IT

with a stiff upper lip. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Pretty funny stuff

A couple of errors not worth mentioning. A fairly clever story

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Except I think Sid was onto the game

And had Caroline followed. The Authorities never found their bodies. Sid lived happily ever after.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 9 years ago
You Know

I like the way the last anon thinks. Alas and alack, considering this tale is in the Humor category. I find it hilarious. Basically, everyone was fucking everyone. And stealing each other blind. Actually if this was in LW I wouldn't have even considered reading.

texlootexloo6 months ago

Ephemerol. Savory and sweet. One feels as of one had read a personal log penned by a Victorian banker. Mayhap one existing in an adults only parody of Mary Poppins? Pairing that with the modern interconnected financial world, with its' interwebs fetish, does give one a rather odd taste in one's mouth. If one keeps at it, one presumable can grow accustomed it's musky, salty, faux British bollacks milk.

(I a dyslexic. I am typing on a smart phone, and hopelessly 'Murican, so if this joke wasn't pulled of to your satisfaction, then you can kiss my taunt yanky doodle and slap my salty stern with your sizable spotted dick.)

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous