All Comments on 'A Few Things I Like About Literotica'

by JerseyCop

Sort by:
  • 32 Comments
MercomaticMercomaticover 15 years ago
well said

Overall I agree, this is a great site, but I am pretty selective. If the first paragraph doesn't grab me I'm moving on.

I was hoping to see you comment about functionality here - navigation of the site is kinda klunky. Literotica needs some kind of sorting function. Why can't we immediately sort by type of story and most popular this week? Why can't I bookmark particular stories that I want to read later without going through the gyration of adding something to my favorites list? I know it takes a lot to administer a site like this, but it's time to add some better functions to help readers get the most out of it.

OtazelOtazelover 15 years ago
Couldn't have put it better myself.

In fact I couldn't have put it anywhere nearly as well. Literotica is one brilliant site, and you have highlightd, good or bad, most of my thoughts on the subject. The only pet hate I have that you haven't mentioned is the activity of the average voter. It pains me every time I see a decent story marked down to zero just because it doesn't fit the voters preferences. Surely, even if we don't go for the authors particular choice of subject we should vote on how well he's written about it rather than just labelling it crap and giving it an automatic zero? Now I've got that off my chest,let me say that your essay well deserved the five that I've just given it.

SmallwandaSmallwandaover 15 years ago
Hmmm

Well for starters I think that you need to broaden your horizens a little. I must say that I haven't tried all the catcories (srry bout the spelling) yet, but I have tried a fair few. Si-Fi and NonHuman have some very good reads in them. One I can think of, off the top of my head is 'Leader of the Pack' by Secertme. As well as 'Touch of the Wolf' by Onyxwolf. Ok Leader was a first draft and is 20 odd chapters long. But all in all a very good read.

I do however agree with you about dialouge and realistic preportions. But we also must remember that most of the stories here are fantasy and everyone likes to exangurate a bit (again my spelling isn't great).

As far as voting goes if I can't finnish the story i don't vote on it.I have, started to read a story and about half way through I get turned off I just exit it and find another to read. I am, however, guilty of wanting to read the next chapter of a story and not vote until I have to leave Lit. and carry on my day. Most of my Favourite authors,I hope, know this. But if they do put in a story that is awfal I do leave them a comment.

And I think I will try out a story of your's but not tonight, as it's about my bed time. Oh one other thing you forgot to mention is the word 'through' I have been thrown off by someone using 'threw' instead and trying to figure out what it was the tossed in the window. Any ways I'll look you up, but you really should try some from the other subjects like I said there are some very good reads there. ps 'The Serpets dance' By Steveswomen is also a real nice read.

pshelferpshelferover 15 years ago
Thank You

I have to agree with the general consensus. I've actually had to stop reading stories because the grammar and word usage was so atrocious. While I'll definitely overlook a few typos absolute massacre of the English language makes me roll my eyes and move on. However, I have to disagree with you about the story length. Sometimes a story can be told in 1 or 2 chapters others simply can't be. I enjoy the longer stories as much as everything else on the site, but then again I tend to follow the story if I like it to see when the next chapter is out. I, like you, for a while didn't read the non-human or the sci-fi stories, until one particular story drew me in and opened it up both categories to me. I definitely enjoy them now, but a huge factor on whether or not I like any story depends on if I like the authors style of writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
True

Enjoyed your say, I agree but would add interracial as a no read for me and will leave negetive feed back when it is stuck in loveing wives. Very little of it is loveing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Bravo

Now that was time well spent. But I must protest the grammar police paragraph. If all readers notice gross misuse of the English language and do not comment on it, they are not helping the writer. Please, be the grammar police!

WFEATHERWFEATHERover 15 years ago
Insightful Indeed

One "quibble" I have: multi-chapter stories. I have one series which ended at 56 chapters and another series in progress which is currently at 34 chapters (with others being written), and at least in my case, the plethora of chapters is because when I started, I had no idea that these series would take on lives of their own. I suspect that is also the case with many other authors here, especially those (like me) who tend to write in stream-of-consciousness style.

floaturboatfloaturboatover 15 years ago
Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Your Insights are right on and well said. This is a great site. The accessibility to so many is what makes it great and bad. I tend to overlook some of the errors as long as the story is real and hot. It is an 'amature' site after all.

MilkChocolateAmazonMilkChocolateAmazonover 15 years ago
Finally somebody said it

Very well done on this submission. I rarely read any in this category but this one certainly had me riveted. I am in total agreeance with the issues you've raised especially the grammar. I can't remember how many stories I've read where the word "taut" is instead substituted with "taught" despite meaning the former. It bugs me so much that ususally I can't carry on reading the story as I've already been put off. Very glad that you've brought these issues to light and absolutely derserved of a 5.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
I agree

Your comments are right on! It is hard to believe some of the stuff that has been published on Literotica.

I make it a point to check the "New" section everday & I enjoy many of the submittals but it is amazing the banalities that have been published.

Another point of agreement has been the grammar & spelling-I had to learn English as a foreigner & I cringe at the words and spellings. Please have someone edit your stuff before you send in your work to Literotica.

michchick98michchick98over 15 years ago
Interesting

Nice to hear your thoughts and as always, you're entitled to them. But being one of the author's of several multi-chapter stories, I have to say that when you see chapter 17 of a story and don't intend to read it, chances are you're not a regular reader of that author. I myself prefer stories that are no more than 4 Literotica pages long. If I see a story title that catches my interest in the Novels and Novellas category, I'll click on it and see how long it is before I begin reading. I don't want to spend time reading an 11 (Literotica) page story. Sure, I can bookmark whatever page I'm on to come back to it later, but it's just not the same. Like you, I want a fairly quick read. I appreciate the multi-chapter stories - writing and reading - because it gives the author a chance to expand on the plot or characters. Sometimes the characters take over and the author has no choice but to go along for the ride. And in a final thought, I do have to agree with you about grammar and spelling. I've seen some atrocious stories here on Literotica and it makes me wonder why a chapter of mine was rejected for two spelling errors. It's not that difficult to find someone to proofread or edit, just go to the forums. When I first started writing for this site, I contacted a few of the authors whose stories I'd read and they pointed me in the right direction as far as finding an editor. Now I have someone who edits me regularly and I also have a beta reader to catch any last minute errors my editor or myself might have missed. Interesting thoughts. I'll check out some of your other works later. :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Write On, JC

If you need a "pardner" to ride "shotgun" with you on the "Grammar Patrol", I'll be glad to join up. It seems like they quit teaching both English Grammar and Literature in the public schools about 45 years ago, and that is very recognizeable in a large majority of the entries here. You have presented a well-written and much needed article for the site. Thanks.

cinnamon_kisses12cinnamon_kisses12over 15 years ago
lovely essay

I have come to agree with everything that you have said in your essay. I'm definitely not one of the best authors, but I certainly try. I wish that voters weren't so one-sided in their feedback and whatnot just because they don't like a genre. That is what the little X button is for at the top right of the browser. I shall go and read one of your stories and vote, because you so politely asked.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Loved it

You were bang on. Wish more people would be grammar police or at least use spell check. If there is bad grammar in the first couple of paragraphs I am moving on. My personal pet peeve is people taking their "cloths" off, bet I have seen that 100 times.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Excellant Comments

I agree with most of what you have said. I tend to like stories that are multi-chaptered IF I am familiar with the author. If I am not familiar with the author, I will read a few paragraphs to make sure that the grammar, spelling and topic don't freak me out.

There have been a few stories that I've accidentally gotten sucked in on that have scared the bejeebees out of me. Please don't sneak your sex slave/BSMD story into the novellas or erotic coupling topics. I may never date again.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
with most of it

I agree with you. I'll like my reading in small doses to. so if there is a novel I don't start reading. because of 2 points: first I don't know in which category it falls because instead of loving wives or whatever you can read novel. second I know it takes a long time to read. So if there is somebody who has an intersting story and makes it readable in 10 chapters I prefer it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Impressed with your candor ...

Well done!

sexysmilesexysmileover 15 years ago
Good stuff

I'm with you! I enjoy reading well written stories, and I do not like being surprised by, say, rape in an Erotic Couplings story. It's nice to see proofreading encouraged; I've had authors write nasty things back to me for mentioning grammar in a comment, but it could have easily been corrected before posting. I'm off to check out what else you have written. Thanks for sharing!

0ra11yfix8ed0ra11yfix8edover 15 years ago
Dittos and Kudos

Either you or someone commenting has hit every nail often and hard!!! Except one! Anonymous Voters! Get some balls you lazy cowards, establish a secure email address and create an identity! Respond negatively if you must but allow for rebuttal, you might make a friend. Oh, one more thing, I agree we need better catagories. I for one would like to see better delineation of the BDSM catagory. Femdom deserves to stand alone!

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
so much said and all on the target

you say so much real things in this short page and all seam to hit the target thanks you for taking the time to tell them what alot of feel but never put into words

JerseyCopJerseyCopover 15 years agoAuthor
Many thanks for your comments and emails

Thank you Literotica readers for your many public comments and emails. I am overwhelmed. One mea culpa first: there is a line in my submission that reads "stand along" when it should read "stand alone."

One area that I think could have been more definitive was that of the multi-chapter stories. I am not opposed to reading them if I happen to have begun with chapter 1. But, if the first time I notice it is with the submission of Chapter 15, then I'm gonna pass it by.

Thanks again and be sure to check out my other stories and vote and comment on them.

JC

Joesph_GiboneJoesph_Giboneover 15 years ago
You should be a stand -up comedian!

The paragraph where you said "ropes of cum" was hilarious! Men cannot cum 5x an hour! Or fill up a coffee cup!

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Fallacy

<p>You lament the "fact" that only 2/10 of one percent of your "readership" voted, yet you admit, "If I find the title enthralling, I will click on it, and then scan the story. If it is without dialogue, I go back to the menu and start over." Do you mean say that you did not vote nor commment on these? You hardly consider yourself among these stories' readership, do you?</p>

<p>Did it not occur to you that much of the other 99.8 percent of those who clicked on your story did the same? You err in considering page views your readership; in fact, you have no way of knowing how many of those viewers did actually read the story.</p>

<p>Other than that, I do agree with some of your stated opinions, and disagree with some others. In particular, I do enjoy longer pieces, if they're well-plotted and well-written, but I abhor incomplete stories. I won't start a longer piece until I know it's actually been finished.</p>

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
well now..

you old dog,you've wet my appetite.i like strong willed men,men in control,maybe a cop?hummmm....brooklyn.

or is it the beam talking for me?

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Yup, that's it

Haha, I have to say I loved the paragraph about the tiny, 110 pound women with a 40DDD chest. As a female, I know it doesn't work that way! Take your pick!

I agree with most of what you said, especially about the cliché formulations. And no dialogue is annoying, but so is poorly written dialogue. I would maybe add that I hate to see characters act extremely unrealistically. Yes, the stories are supposed to be erotic and bringing some fantasy in there is good, but having the nice, sweet, and incredibly naive housewife say "hey, let's fuck" to a random post man doesn't really do it for me.

For a well-written story, you need a build-up that makes sense. Take your time with the descriptions, and write a dialogue that remotely sounds like something people might say.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
Too bad you have such a short attention span. ;>)

One of my frequent Literotica search engine strings is '30'.

There are many great stories here of 30 chapters or more, there are also quite a few that are terrible. My experience though, is that there is a greater likelihood of a story being abysmal if it is short than if it is significantly longer.

<BR>One of the things that I like about stories that appear on a different URL is that immediately you can see how many bytes long the story is. (That is about the only part of their story listing that I like.)

<P>

I think it may be harder to write a (good) short story than a longer one. Even when I have read a good short story I feel disappointed and a little cheated. Short stories are great if you only have 15 minutes and/or you have trouble remembering where you were when you come back to it.

<P>

I think most people only vote if they are truly impressed, either negatively or positively. I nearly always vote if I'm going to comment too. I almost never vote or comment before the last chapter.

<P>

<I>-- srgeek --</I>

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
there i voted!

i liked your comments,i agree with the bulk of them.a nurse

ps now i will go see if you write a good story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Meant to click Five stars!

Accidentally clicked four, meant to click five!

bottovarnisbottovarnisover 1 year ago

good observations, I agree completely!

Tesseract2021Tesseract2021about 1 year ago

A number of great observations! Yeah, there are tons of bad stories. But, at least people are reading and trying to write!

RedOctopusRedOctopus8 months ago

I pretty much agree with you here. For me the overly descriptive paragraphs loaded with physical attributes that could develop over time and add the the story line. I just read 'Voice over the phone' and when I finish this I will read some more.

BeachBabe813BeachBabe8137 days ago

Excellent advice and insight. I couldn’t have said it any better. Thank you!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous