All Comments on 'Prepare, Eat and Enjoy MREs Ch. 02'

by SunrockSin

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
PurpleleafZizzexriumPurpleleafZizzexriumover 14 years ago
Because of this how-to...

I.. I think I love you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
From Another Ike Survivor

When I saw the dates of these two entries, I figured it was somehow related to Hurricane Ike. Fortunately I had electricity back within 47 hours and had plenty of my own food to survive another 3-4 days with careful rationing, but the experience did cause me to go looking for alternatives for hot food and I found one: the Mountain Oven system designed to heat backpacking food (both available at REI). Similar scenario to the MRE system you describe for preparing the food, and the system has a shelf life of 4 or 5 years. I figure the Houston area will get hit with another hurricane before the shelf life expires, so I'm ready now for a hot meal after the next hurricane passes and cuts off the electricity for a while. Personally, I believe everyone in an area where natural disasters which cut off electricity are possible (hurricanes, earthquakes, blizzards, etc.) should invest in Mountain Ovens, MREs, or something similar for just in case.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Never look at MREs the same again

well, that was certainly not what I was expecting, not bad though. As a former member of the military with food allergies, I'll tell ya, i was expecting something more along the lines of how to mix together and match up different menu items to make them actually taste edible. I think your way is much better though.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous