All Comments on 'If It Walks Like a Duck'

by Scorpio44a

Sort by:
  • 76 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
What can one say?

As I Said, what can one say?

Absolutely superb reading.....

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Nice

Nice thought out revenge. What happened to the principal? How many years did Clark get?

Nicely Done!

Tearsofsorrow2Tearsofsorrow2over 15 years ago
I am disappointed

that I can only give 100. I am also disappointed to find out that you are not John Grisham. I thought for certain you were.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Great

Another thoroughly enjoyable story.

Boyd

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Good story

Some minor faults only in an emotional and for the 21st century uncommon story from the US.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Sounds a lot like the country I live, you know the

drinking gun toting hillbillies of northwestern PA. You need justice you get justice. This story is out of date with most the US but then most of the US is out of date with its history and constitution.

bruce22bruce22over 15 years ago
Good Read

As always well written and well plotted. My only objection is that unfortunately I think this is a fantasy.....

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 15 years ago
Strange and Well Written Story

I grew up on a farm and this story is all too realistic - people are stranger than fiction. I really like the terse writing style - dialog is very realistic for a farm community.

gyjunkiegyjunkieover 15 years ago
Excellent story

I wish that I could find more stories like this around. Thanks for an enjoyable read.

BigFtHunterBigFtHunterover 15 years ago
Good read.

Its nice when the good guy wins. Thanks and keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
A nice little tale

Thank you -- I enjoyed reading this. Your style is very straightforward and the characters were pretty believable. Keep it up.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Congratulations=A cheerful story

Nice writing. What a pleasant change-- a story in which the good guys win and the bad guys lose. Thanks for writing such a cheerful story.

60 year old George

datadyndatadynover 15 years ago
Well done

A refeshing change from the normal crap published here. Well done author

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Awesome!!!!

I like how you write, and I really like how you think. One particularly clever element was the change in wording from "shoveling manure" to "shoveled more shit"; the meaning is the same, but the shift in vernacular makes a huge difference in impact. The overall plan to prove innocence was outstanding! Excellent work.

-- KK in Texas

KOLKOREKOLKOREover 15 years ago
And this year they all voted Obama!

Just kidding... I thought, with so much happiness and after so much suffering, why not add some more happy ending? (even if not related to the story)...<P>

It was really nice to see you painting with brighter shades vs. your usuall darker ones. One way or the other, I like them all...

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
I So Enjoy Your Mind And The Way You Express It

Quick - Succinct - Clear & Unexpectedly Direct in short staccato bursts that reminds me much of life well expressed.<P>

In short Author - I am very impressed with this effort as well as most of your recent work.<P>

Thanks Author - You are appreciated and looked forward to.

With Very High Regard

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Pretty good

It's too bad we don't have real judges like that.

Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioover 15 years ago
Very good story . . .

Quite a few authors could take a lesson or two from you. Well done!

ralphcralphcover 15 years ago
pretty

darn good, but i'd have put the pig in a pen ( pig sty). thanks, rc

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
A Good Story...

with a simple clear plot. I enjoyed it and thank you for it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Grisham shadow...

As if I'm reading a Grisham story... simply written with realistic ambiance. I enjoyed it. Thanks and more power!

jack_strawjack_strawover 15 years ago
another winner

Right now, scorpio is the best writer currently working on this site. There is not one single word out of place, not one single typo that I could see, not one single development that isn't fully thought-out and fully realized. Tightly written in simple prose that moves the story along at a brisk, but unhurried pace. The only possible thing that might be a little jarring was the judge granting Sally the quickie divorce. That might have been a stretch, but it fit so well with the concept of country justice that I really didn't have a problem with it. I don't know about some of my fellows such as Jake, HDK, DG and some others, but scorpio is challenging my muse to get busy. Otherwise, he's going to leave all of us in the dust.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
I am a lawyer and there are judges like this

I am a lawyer and have appeared before judges like this (and in suburban NY, not rural USA). This story captured the type of justice practiced in good courtrooms.

RonRWoodRonRWoodover 14 years ago
Simple and Sweet...

Very real story. The events written of occur often in this country. The handling of them in this story was the way we all wished would happen.

woodmanonewoodmanoneover 14 years ago
Well done.

Good story, well written, smooth read. Obviously I liked this story a lot. I write also and will take some lessons from your work. Thank you. One thing, is it necessary for some of the comments to be so nit picky, and if so make sure you get the facts right. I was raised on a farm and several times we would put new animals, pigs too, in the barn until they became acclimated to their new home.

Thanks again for a great story.

Tail End PeteTail End Petealmost 14 years ago
Yep. That's how you do it.

Maybe if more judges had common sense and we had fewer lawyers, the judicial system would become unstuck. Best way to cure vandals is make them clean their own mess, in public, with a little humiliation thrown in for good measure.

pogo123pogo123over 13 years ago
Excellent read

This is without a doubt one of the best crafted stories I have read in a very long time. Plot, characterizations, drama and an excellent point.

Not only that .. it is a cute story and was fun to read, too

RePhilRePhilover 13 years ago
AND THAT'S HOW TO WRITE A STORY

Loved it

RePhilRePhilover 13 years ago
AND THAT'S HOW TO WRITE A PERFECT STORY

Loved it

ananduananduover 13 years ago
Perfect

just loved it. Carry on

MarvinSMarvinSabout 13 years ago
Thank you

Thank you for a nice well written story with a believable plot and believable characters. It is refreshing change from a lot of the drivel that appears on this website.

April0647April0647about 13 years ago
Well done

Please read what you have written before posting it. Though 95-98% readable the errors in pronouns are jolting. And a sentence with only one letter omitted sure can change the meaning: If he gets violet, I'd run, not fight. And what would you do if he only gets to yellow?

But then, I'm only reading "old" stuff because I am enamored of your new postings.

RonRWoodRonRWoodover 12 years ago
Reread...

this story and still loved it. I was a State Officer in two different States from 1967 until 2008 and a lot of the Magistrate Judges or Justices of the Peace I dealt with were very much like this one. But not always, some are crooked and follow the money or take care of the important or monied people.

I never thought much of Municipal Court Judges. They get far too many cases I think to care as much about most of those brought before them. Unless it is someone important, then there is no Justice.

District Court or Superior Court Judges follow the Rule of Law or the Rules of Evidence accordingly. They cannot issue Country Justice as much as do the lessor courts...their decisions can be appealed to State Supreme Courts.

I paid a ticket after a hearing with a Magistrate Judge, then had him marry me and my wife afterwards. One cost $10 and the other $20.

One time I stopped a car going through Joseph City, Arizona at 30 miles over the speed limit (75 in a 45mph residential zone) and he wanted to go before the court immediately. I took him to Justice of the Peace Rosy Kay (A sweet 60 year old Widow) and he started arguing that the freeway speed was 75 and he did not even notice the town limits or houses. She just said sweetly, "This handsome young Officer would not have brought you here if you weren't guilty young man...$30 please!"

Sorry...just a little trivia from the Southwestern States of New Mexico and Arizona. It was U.S. route 66 then with a few pieces of I-40 constructed in 1968... Bloody 66 it was called then, the crossroad of America. The freeway still goes through there and on to Winslow, Winona, and Flagstaff, Az.

FD45FD45over 12 years ago
Not my usual fare

Still, you write well and I had to follow it to the end.

Thank you for the story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
great read!

your a great story teller and if your detail is slightly off as far as accuracy thats fine too...kudos!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Wonderful read

Great characters. Great style. And I agree with April0647 about typos. I'd go through it again and list 'em for you, but I figure it you wanted them fixed, you would do it. Also, kudos to your readers. Thoughtful comments add another layer to my enjoyment.

rusalka

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
MALLARDS GROW UP FAST ON A FARM

and with good work ethics and morals. TK U MLJ LV NV

chytownchytownabout 12 years ago
Great Read!!!

Like a breath of fresh air. Thanks for sharing.

RePhilRePhilabout 12 years ago
Loved it

Beautiful in its simplicity

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Use of a quote

Thank you for the Isaac Asimov quote!

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 11 years ago
Excellent

A wonderful tale. It's refreshing to read a tale such as this compared to my normal fare. This is why I branched out to this genre. Thanks.

Sid0604Sid0604almost 11 years ago
Thank you

I really enjoyed reading your story. It's very good.

Thank you

KenfromIndyKenfromIndyover 10 years ago
nicely written story - got me smiling

A very well written story! In some ways a parable of by gone era. A tale or story to teach a lesson. I liked the writing style and how the Father asked what are YOU going to do to fix the situation you are in - not we the family. Of course I am a sucker for happy endings.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Excellent Contribution!

The high quality standard remains the same, this story line was unique compared to your usual offering but no disappoint as I read and Readers Digest would be proud of a PG-13 version of this one.

tazz317tazz317over 10 years ago
#2 4 H AND FFA

farmers live truth, justice and the Old Time American Way. TK U MLJ LV NV

SplitAcesSplitAcesabout 10 years ago
Excellent

It would be even better if you deleted the last paragraph.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
lol

last line made me smile & chuckle .

nice finish to a good little tale.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
just a correction or two

a 2 month old female pig is a gilt. She becomes a sow after her first litter of piglets.

Pigs shown at the fair are usually 5 to 6 months old and weigh 200 to 250 pounds.

It would take several years for her to get to 700 pounds.

other than that a good story and your one of my favorite authors.

Keep writing

retired pig farmer

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
you can!!!

so you are capable of writing a worthwhile story with no incest, polyamory, or group sex!!!

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
FARMERS AND FAMILY HAVE GREAT WORK ETHICS AND MORALS

and they stick by them thick or thin. TK U MLJ LV NV

EgoTrixiEgoTrixiabout 9 years ago
Loved reading it...

...started off a bit lame and surprised hell out off me as I continued reading it.

Wonderfully written, absolutely plausible and fine developement of characters. 5* without hesitation. Thanks for writing it.

BuzzCzarBuzzCzaralmost 9 years ago
Poland-China

Yep...

xtchrxtchralmost 9 years ago
Excellent Story!

This is an excellent story about an excellent family. This kid is the true definition of a Man. I really enjoyed his father and how he instilled manhood on the son, how he taught him to be a Man. A wonderful family and story. Thank you.

kjohns2001kjohns2001almost 9 years ago
Always one of my favorite stories

Just reread this and as always simply loved it.

Seeker1107Seeker1107over 8 years ago
Third time through!

And all the psychological experts say that we can't teach morals to our children anymore. Here was a boy, that his father loved him enough to guide him. Not toss him to the wolves but to A, take responsibility for his actions and B, to be able to think for himself to make sure that he was able to tell the truth, act like a man as well as act as a man of honor. He not only took in Fran, but saw her mothers abuse, made a decision and manned up and took decisive action. He didn't wait, or ask, he knew what was right and did it.

I have seen abuse physical as well as other kinds. I have also been a victim of a kind of abuse. At the time I could not do anything about it. However it did help shape me to be a man. When I saw it in other places, I knew what had to be done and did as best as I could. Sometimes people don't want you to help them. But as long as you have done the right thing to the best of your abilities, then you are a man with honor.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
For those big city folks

This is why we live in the country. Git er done!

deJay_13deJay_13over 8 years ago
Country people?

Good story but sadly in need of an editor who is really a country man.

The most blatant problem of a city man trying to write about life on a farm was describing a pig as a "China-Poland". The pig would be highly insulted. LOL

Nice story "ennyhow".

de Jay

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
de jay 13 Is Right

Where did you come up with China Poland? Time lines for morning chores are a little off. But the story, in general, was very good. I gather you never spent all that much time on a farm.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
some farmers need to learn before speaking

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poland_China

The Poland China is a breed of domestic pig, first bred in the Miami Valley, Ohio, United States, in 1816, deriving from many breeds including the Berkshire and Hampshire.[1] It is the oldest American breed of swine.

The Poland China hog was first bred on the Hankinson Farm in Blue Ball, Warren County, Ohio.[2] A monument to this accomplishment still stands near the place where the hog was originally bred. The monument was moved slightly when the farm was sold for development of the Towne Mall, Middletown, Ohio in the early 1970s, and now stands across the street from the mall property on Cincinnati Dayton Road.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
sorry for last comment

I failed to notice that the name of the breed was inverted

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Great story

Fun easy to read story.

To Retired Pig Farmer; what about showing in the breeder classes? We have all different types of breeder classes (sows and boars) where I am from. Anyway, loved the story. Keep up the great work!!!

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketabout 7 years ago
Good story

Enjoyed the story but obviously you never lived on a farm, or if you did you didn't raise hogs.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
too funny

it's Poland China not China-Poland. 700 pounds??? possible but not likely. she would be a big loser and a worthless sow.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
My Kind Of Story

My second time to read it. My first time to comment. I hope you will write more stories like this one. I thought of the writings of Ralph Moody when I read this. Excellently written.

arizjim2arizjim2about 5 years ago
*****

I gave this a 5 based on that last sentence. LOL

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Very good story...

...really enjoyed this read. You are a great writer. 5 stars. Thanx!

Loklie

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
ANIMALS SNORE???

REALLY????

OlgreyfoxOlgreyfoxabout 4 years ago
ANON, Animals snore?

Oh God YES!!!

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15over 3 years ago
Animals Snore?

Most assuredly cats and dogs do. No experience with any other animals.

Excellent !

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

(Irony) What’s with you. A story with a plot? Unheard of! Do it again, do it again. (Smile)

Unfortunately, short pieces of text don’t convey communication as well as face to face.

MVF_Lit

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanover 1 year ago

very good, life lessons

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanover 1 year ago

good story, morally strong people. would have been nice if Judge congratulated Nick and his parents for being outstanding citizens, etc.

chytownchytownover 1 year ago

*****Still a very entertaining read. Thanks for sharing.

inka2222inka222210 months ago

Realy great story! Pity the assholes didn't get their football careers broken, but can't have everything

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

@inka2222

They didn't get their football careers broken?

With a felony hate crime conviction they can kiss any scholarship goodbye, so as high school seniors and their season is already over they are at the end anyway.

They are unlikely to be admitted to any decent university even if they are paying their own way, so they can forget about a shot as a walk on.

Any job prospects in their futures are probably going to involve standing behind a counter and asking "Do you want fries with that?".

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman7 months ago

2nd reading and always a good, simple tale

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous