All Comments on 'Building a Community'

by Scorpio44a

Sort by:
  • 29 Comments
Tail End PeteTail End Peteabout 15 years ago
Thank you.

Damn good story with a not-heard-enough message in it. I hope we can all learn to get along better because of its teachings and moral. Tail End Pete

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Great

Your three little non-erotic life lessons are very good and very effective.

Boyd

HonourHonourabout 15 years ago
Excellent

Zed I have met people with opinions like yours even if he took a church hall out of the story and had him addressing the community council or tennants association the message would have been the same. People with your opinion are usauall the kind who think its alright to cheat on their taxes cheat on thier wives , cheat on thier families anything as long as they get what they want and to hell with everyone else.

Well a lot of us are tired of living in that kind of world tired of seeing people we love and care about being hurt.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Cartoon style preaching for infants,

just reminds me why I despise most religion. Not content with living in your own fantasy world you feel you have the right to impose your values and beliefs on the rest of us also. It is this idea that is taken to the extreme that leads to persecution, jihad and pogrom. There is no forgiveness, no common decency in your story, no chance for the cheater to confess to his wife. No chance for redemption. -- UK CYNIC

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Loved it!

I thought this was wonderful life lesson even if it was fiction. We are just starting to see more of this in the media. For so long all they showed was me me me and what I want, not how it affected others.

sherlock40sherlock40about 15 years ago
Very nice story

I liked how there was no actual religion mentioned, just a church group that wanted to do good. If more "communities" were around like this one was being transformed into, I think there would be a lot less problems in the world. They gave this man a chance to ask for forgiveness, he chose his course. Thank you for the great story.

KOTKKOTKabout 15 years ago
Wow!!!!!!!

Excellent story. We really need some good stories like this. Thanks for the story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
a comment

A word to UK CYNIC from Scotland seems to be in order.

I'll accept that you despise religion; that part is your choice. When you get to railing about the imposition of values and beliefs on the rest of the populace, I suggest that you consider that such is what a system of laws does. It provides a framework of what is considered acceptable to the population at large. Generally (at least, in "Western" civilization) actions such as murder and theft are considered unacceptable. Indeed, one could argue that persecution and jihad are the results of a societal philosophy which finds such things to be acceptable, at least when directed to certain other societal groups. As to the issue of common decency, the question should be what was the decency toward the victim spouse. Cheating spouses may make for entertaining fiction, but in real life, people do get hurt; they do suffer emotional damage which could endure for years. And as to the forgiveness (which would be the wife's to provide) and the chance to confess, this story makes it abundantly clear that the cheating husband had absolutely no intention of confessing or changing his behavior, as evidenced by his declaration of a new lie he wanted to have perpetuated by people otherwise uninvolved in his personal life choices. And thus by definition, the cheater's choices now become an irritant to the people who can see the impact on the lives of all those directly involved. Remember the conversation with the daughter; she would have wanted to know.

-- KK in Texas

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Leave religion out of it

A comment to KK from Texas...<br><br>

...<i>I suggest that you consider that such is what a system of laws does. It provides a framework of what is considered acceptable to the population at large.</i><br>

Have you read the Old Testament? The New? The Qu'ran? There is no way I would <b>ever</b> want to live in a society that followed the rules of "what is acceptable" that is laid down in those barbaric texts. Religion is a terrible source for a moral code, because anything that is "the word of God" cannot be changed. Which means the ancient "kill the homosexuals and own slaves" stuff is stuck there permanently.<br><br>

The wonder of democracy is that we can change the law. That means that when moral values change (as they inevitably do), the law adjusts. We don't need an invisible man in the sky to be good people.<br><br>

There was not one good thing mentioned in this story that an atheist could not have done. The will to do good to your fellow human is inate; it does not come from some ancient book about talking snakes.

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 15 years ago
Thanks for a Thought-provoking Story

I agree with the points made in the story about community - what I have found is that our transient-filled suburbs (especially in the south) make it really hard to get to know the neighbors. Everybody in the Houston area will tell you that they got to know their neighbors better after Ike than ever before. Also, thank you KK for your comments.

Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioabout 15 years ago
Mixed feelings but I admire your writing effort.

I think there must be a separation of what is "private" and "personal" from what is "public." Helping someone to weed their garden seemingly hurts no one. One does not need to wait for that person to ask, but on the other hand, trespassing on their property and performing what one thinks are good deeds is not only illegal, it can result in harm even if well-intentioned. What if the "gardener" cuts an automatic sprinkler line, or the cable TV wire, while simply digging out some weeds? What if the homeowner does not want someone's help? I think it is more appropriate to ask the widowed homeowner for permission. Just say something like, "Ms. Jones, we have a group of teens today looking to do good deeds for the community and church, is it OK if we mow your lawn and weed your garden?" I expect Ms. Jones would be grateful for the help and would probably bake some cookies for the group after they helped her out, but maybe she does not wish this and it is her property and her right to decline, is it not? Now we get to the morals police action where our hero decided it was his family's business to impose their views on morality on another who was not hurting that family in the slightest. What if Mr. Frank's wife were frigid but still wishes to remain married to him, so she gives him permission to occasionally seek sexual relief with others? Why is it anyone else's business to interfere, even to inquire, into that relationship? If Mr. Franks were trying to be discrete, and he was trying not to hurt his wife (by throwing it in her face), have Pete, his wife, and their daughter Angela truly helped the situation in their community let alone in Mr. Frank's marriage? Pete is in the hospital with serious injuries. Mr. Frank is in jail and charged with felonious assault; if he goes to jail, that really helps his family, doesn't it? Who will support his family while he's in the slammer? He'll probably lose his job even if he doesn't do time. He's clearly a prick as depicted in this story, but what if he's a good father otherwise? I'm not condoning adultery in the slightest, and if he were abusive to his wife and kids, then the community does need to get involved. But I disagree with the "moral" of this story as I feel Pete is too self-righteous, holier-than-thou, and not someone I would want snooping around my house -- he might see that I'm committing sodomy by doing oral sex, or something (an act most religions have labeled as sinful and in fact, most states still have laws prohibiting oral sex on their books).

jack_strawjack_strawabout 15 years ago
do-gooding atheists?

"There was not one good thing mentioned in this story that an atheist could not have done." So says our Anonymous commenter below. I'd like to ask this person how many atheists groups collected 3 million shoe boxes full of Christmas gifts for children in underprivileged nations last year. I'd like to know how many atheist groups man homeless shelters in the poor sections of American cities. I'd appreciate knowing how many atheist groups showed up in Mississippi and Louisiana after Katrina or in Texas after Ike to clear the damage and rebuild homes. I would imagine the answer is not many, certainly not compared to the Christian and other religious groups that have done all of the above and more. When you and UKCynic can put up more than empty rhetoric to back your "religion is evil," screed, then you might have some credibility. Until then, you're just blowing hot air.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
I'm not particularly religious...

last time I checked, I was a Unitarian. But jack straw offers some important qualifications to the ravings of religion-haters. To be sure, lots of horrible things have been done in the name of religion, but then lots of equally horrible things have been done in the name of and with the facilitation of science and its ideologues. For pete's sake, can't we just find some common ground, put our hatemongering aside for a spell and go to work together on the daunting challenges facing all of us on this planet?

wildwilly47wildwilly47almost 15 years ago
great story

i am from small town mid america. high school this year has 42 members.at thirteen one of my grand daughters took out her moms car at2:00 am.Her 13 year old passengers aunt saw them.mothers were notified

RonRWoodRonRWoodover 14 years ago
Good Tale

I don't want to rile the conservatives, but I thought that Hillary said it best for this story. You know, when she said, "It takes a village." A lot of the commenters were correct in saying that invading other peoples private lives can sometimes cause more damage than good, or as the old saying goes, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions!" I belonged to the Mormon Church for years and it was like what you described in that community where I lived. I quit and became somewhat irreligeous when I realized that they were exclusive and only took care of their own, and the rest of you Gentiles were on your own... How many Church groups are like that? Then of course, the radical Islamics want the rest of us dead! Oh well, the beat goes on... I much prefer to be a "Humanist" like someone else in history that cared for and loved all others no matter their station or status in life. I guess that makes me a liberal.

LadyFalconLadyFalconover 14 years ago
I really enjoyed your story.

I enjoyed the whole first half and seriously admire the lessons and the actions. The threats of trespassing or property damage being done unintentionally are all rather moot or germaine to the idea behind the story. The idea of any social commentary is to make us think - and this has been very sucessful. We have all been thinking. Would I tell Mrs. Franks or even confront Mr. Franks? For fear of being put in the hospital I probably would not - my first thought after grimacing was hmmm, why not go speak to the Pastor? Talk to him in his office with your daughter and wife. Let the Pastor be the one to make the confrontation. We know he attended church as his glofing buddies said something to that efffect. That is my personal thought on how to show my daughter I was serious about the idea of community but still being aware of the realities of the world we live in. Again, this is all moot as, I believe, the point was to make us think; for that I give Scorpio high marks. Great job and God bless you and yours.

TavadelphinTavadelphinalmost 13 years ago
Public accountability and morals -

Interesting concepts -

I DO disagree with imposing my morals on others - BUT if someone claims to support my moral standards and then violates them in my presence - they get what they deserve

TechRaiderTechRaiderover 12 years ago
come on you should finish this!

thats one thing about church i have always hated. everyone is all nice and friendly to your face but when your back is turned its a big difference of how they truely feel. rarely do you ever find a group of people that really care about you and what happens to you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
YES

I love this story and want to be a part of that

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
good ideal

good ideal but you are now out of work for 6 to 8 weeks. painting and yard work etc

is nice but you can not right all wrongs. In a perfect world your actions would be

great. this is far from a perfect world. people kill if you do not follow their god

and make women their slaves. they do not teach women because they do not want

women to know how stupid they are.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
response to good ideal

anonymous, we all realize that this is not a perfect world, and although this story is for entertainment purposes, your response to it makes it seem as if you condone the action of the cheater husband, not all men are like him, neither all church going men like him either.. I was disappointed to see your comment, because personally I was cheated on me, because of my peaceful nature, do not misunderstand, I am by no means weak nor a wimp, but I do not condone cheating and betrayal in any way shape or form..

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago

This story is total bullshit. A person wouldn't last anytime, nosing in other people's shit like that.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
i remember this kind of stuff

I was born in 1962 we lived in a community like that next door we called aunt and uncle they babysitting us and my mom and dad babysitting for them group partys helped each other when needed now days i dont see it left side of me is a indian family right side an older lady and gent i cant say who they are when i moved here i told them who i was but was 10 years ago they never knocked on my door

Sad but true

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago

Somethings/times are better off left alone. This was one of those things/times.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 6 years ago
You Know

If we all lived in a community such as this the world would be a lot better.

Maybe someday...

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Nice

In a better world life would be just like this story. Unfortunately the world we live in today just isn’t nearly that nice. Sticking your nose into other people’s business these days could end up getting you one of two things: Either a broken nose, or maybe a bullet in the face. So considering that, unless it appears to be a matter of life or death I pretty much mind my own business. And I appreciate if others give me the same courtesy.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I apologize, my vocabulary seems to be very limited. If you have words that go above and beyond Great / Excellent, please use them as My comment on your writing.

PS, I was born in 1948, when my Folks and I returned to the house on a Sunday afternoon, there was a noticeable odor as we walked in. Following it to the kitchen we found a sink full of fish, with a note, "Thats what you get for leaving your door open"! Short and simple but it spoke volumes.

My family is (was) Jewish, our neighbors were Irish/Catholic. Every year my parents were invited next door to help decorate their Christmas Tree, A GOOD TIME WAS HAD BY ALL !

THANKS ! S.G.

WisquejacWisquejac8 months ago

If only, if only…

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous