All Comments on 'A Film that Changed America'

by Bakeboss

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
What

You see this on t.v. or was watching it when you first wanted to suck cock. This has been done lots of times, much better.

epiphany65epiphany65over 14 years ago
Watergate...?

I'm surprised that you didn't mention Watergate, and William Mark Felt Sr. This, to me, is probably the best example of the lasting impact that the movie had on mainstream culture. Moreso than a few jokes by Carson.

Captain MidnightCaptain Midnightover 14 years ago
Yep ... Watergate and other things

This is a decent essay. I have heard some other dollar figures tossed around ($25,000 for the film's budget; $1,250 for Linda Lovelace [apparently immediately swiped by her husband/manager Chuck Traynor} and somewhere between $250 and $350 for male lead Harry Reems.

Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward said later in their book "All The President's Men" that they came up with the idea of the name "Deep Throat" for their informant because of the buzz over the movie, and that one of the two took an afternoon off to see the film. I haven't seen it. I tried to download it once but I ran into some problems.

One thing that made people suspicious of the film was the possibility that it was funded by organized crime. Talk about a return on your investment. The stuffy conservatives who weren't involved with the Mob (some weren't) were very unhappy over this. I can't say I blame them. Various Federal prosecutors issued a lot of subpoenas trying to get various cast and crew members (Reems in particular, for some reason) to admit that they were hired by people on a side job from Murder, Incorporated. As far as I know, no lasting charges came from those allegations. I do know (because I saw it) that Linda Lovelace, by then Linda Boreman Marchiano (she had gotten away from Trainor and remarried) wrote a book called "Ordeal" about her life in the porn business and publicized it on Tom Snyder's "Tomorrow" show.

One fairly valid complaint about porno movies is that many people turn to drug abuse out of stress: alcohol (Reems) and harder stuff, and some of them have committed suicide or died of AIDS (John C. Holmes from his drug use). Such is show business, but it seems more common in the porn industry than it does in "mainstream." Maybe the actors and actresses need liquid or snorted or other types of courage to go fuck somebody they hardly know in very awkward positions for the camera. Some of the males may use hard drugs to arouse themselves so they can perform with a stranger or someone they don't particularly like. There are also far too many cases of temperamental people on the set (mostly actors and actresses, but others as well), whose problems may be made worse by drug abuse.

Still, a good review. Maybe I will see the movie someday.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous