All Comments on 'Bold or Italic?'

by Alex De Kok

Sort by:
  • 23 Comments
jthserrajthserraabout 20 years ago
An excellent how to...

I wanted to thank you for the pointers here. After reading your article I have been able to get my stuff to look basically how I wanted. The formating is especially handy for poetry. Thanks.

jim : )

dank3647dank3647almost 20 years ago
Printing HTML Commands in an HTML environment

I bet you had fun getting the <B>'s and <I>'s to print in HTML. Thanks for the info. Now I can fix what I want fixed without feeling like I'm imposing on Laurel.

AnonymousAnonymousover 19 years ago
Thanks, Alex

I know HTML, but it never occurred to me to submit in this way. If it'll help Laurel AND get my work published faster, I'm happy to do it!

BlackShanglanBlackShanglanover 19 years ago
Lucid and Useful

Cheers, Alex, for a straightforward and helpful explanation.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
Thank you

Got me hard. Thanks. Dom Joe.

fifty5fifty5over 18 years ago
Nice one Alex

Bold and italic tags are good - for the 99% of readers who use a graphic browser. However, that odd 1% have problems with eyesight or technology (actually I've no idea what the real figure is, it may be very different from 1%). They use 'text-only' browsers, (plus text-to-speech software). The thing is that a number of such browsers just can't handle bold and italic as such. Accordingly, it is better to use the <strong> and <em> tags. <strong> gets rendered as bold by graphic browsers and <em> ('emphasis') gets rendered as italic, but the text-only ones WILL give some sort of mod (maybe with colour) to make the relevant bit of text stand out.

"Walk the extra mile" to cater for the minority; the majority won't suffer!

fifty5fifty5over 18 years ago
Nice one Alex!

Bold and italic tags are good - for the 99% of readers who use a graphic browser. However, that odd 1% have problems with eyesight or technology (actually I've no idea what the real figure is, it may be very different from 1%). They use 'text-only' browsers, (plus text-to-speech software). The thing is that a number of such browsers just can't handle bold and italic as such. Accordingly, it is better to use the <strong> and <em> tags. <strong> gets rendered as bold by graphic browsers and <em> ('emphasis') gets rendered as italic, but the text-only ones WILL give some sort of mod (maybe with colour) to make the relevant bit of text stand out.

"Walk the extra mile" to cater for the minority; the majority won't suffer!

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Tremendously helpful

Thanks! [throws in a silver dollar]

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Thank you

<I>This was extremely helpful. Thank you so much.</I>

duddle146duddle146about 17 years ago
A Timely How To:

Thank you Alex for taking the time to explain HTML. Sometime back you walked me through the process and it has made such a difference in the way I submit stories. Now, thanks to your article, it's available to everyone. Top Notch!

MilkChocolateAmazonMilkChocolateAmazonabout 16 years ago
Pure genius!

Really helpful. I was having trouble submitting my story but after using this method had no problems at all. You're an absolute Godsend. Thank you. xxx

TarakinTarakinabout 16 years ago
Good help!

Good help. Thank you!

Last_BreathLast_Breathover 13 years ago
Thank You

For the past few months I have been an avid reader of Lit. As of late, I've been trying to build the courage to submit my work. However it can be a daunting task trying to decipher all the jargon and red tape that is thrown your way. Thank you for clearing up several questions that I felt literally too scared to ask.

mythtrav16mythtrav16about 13 years ago
wow!

I never knew that it was acceptable to submit stories as text blocks, with the &lt;B&gt; and &lt;I&gt; tags already included! This is gonna make future submissions so much simpler! Thank you!

ChucksSiteChucksSiteover 12 years ago
Well, I Don't Write Stories, But I Do ....

read them, and anything to make the stories available faster and in the format the author prefers, gets my vote. I also think it is a really good person, thinking about others, that offers suggestions for his competition to aid their submittals. That easily rates a "5" and my thanks!

One question: Will that procedure work for me offering comments? Any suggestions on how to insert a bold or italic?

JohnnyMaxJohnnyMaxalmost 12 years ago
Thanks

A nice clear explanation.

Scotsman69Scotsman69almost 12 years ago
Thanks Alex

I favourited this so I can find it easily.

If I ever get round to writing again.

oggbashanoggbashanover 8 years ago
Thanks Alex

I finally got around to searching for help on html tags and found your advice. I have just used them tio edit a recent story and they all worked (at least on preview).

Thanks again.

oggbashan

P_VP_Vover 8 years ago
Definitely one of the more useful!

Thanks for the useful, factual, and uncontroversial advice! I was wondering how to do that (bolds and italics) and have often used other character surrounding desired words just to "set them apart" from the rest of the text. I'll try to remember to use HTML. (Not that HTML is new to me, I just never knew using it here would work. Maybe I should have read the directions! :P )

Absinth3Absinth3over 7 years ago
HTML for Dummies

Or a simple, easy to understand explanation. However you choose to see it, it was clear and concise. Well done.

FifthEstateFifthEstateover 4 years ago

Is this still relevant? I have lots of italicized text in my stories and they usually get published in 3-4 days from submission, would it happen faster if I followed this method?

hubby77hubby77over 3 years ago
Thank you for this informative article.

I was trying to use the HTML center symbols, and my story was getting rejected because I had the bold and center symbols in the wrong order.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share.

Sincerely Hubby77

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Can we use <h?> tags? And if so, what number should we start with to avoid conflicts with the surrounding page headings?

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userAlex De Kok@Alex De Kok
1361 Followers
July 13, 2023 - As some of you have no doubt realised, I'm writing again, albeit very slowly. My late wife was a writer as well, although not on Literotica, and I think she would have wanted me to continue. May 24, 2021 - I haven't posted anything for some time now, and it ma...