All Comments on 'Dear John'

by Slirpuff

Sort by:
  • 270 Comments
AgenaAgenaalmost 14 years ago
Excellent

Excellent story. Well written, great story line.

woodmanonewoodmanonealmost 14 years ago
Applause

This maybe one of the best pieces posted on this site. So gripping, so deep, so profound. You can almost feel the hurt and sorrow that haunts John.

Concise and to the point but I felt I knew the characters intimately.

Well done sir.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Good Writing

But I hate the second guessing the husband is dealing with, he did what he could to save the marriage, she threw it away. Sounds like they still had a relationship untill her boyfriend dumped her, then she wanted her husband back. Four lives ruined or dead, hell of a thing, good writing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
The cheating whore.........

.......killed herself? GREAT!!! I don't see what the husband's problem is with that. Oh, and belated revenge on her lover -who gives a shit about that???

RehnquistRehnquistalmost 14 years ago
Masterful.

The first few commenters, I believe, miss the point of this story. You took a letter and, through her now dead eyes, encapsulated the painful disintegration of a marriage. All too many marriages collapse in the wake of a child's death, and it's hard to hate the wife in this situation. Is cheating wrong? Sure. But this is truly one of those "walk a mile in my shoes" situations. And you succinctly, and with great emotional impact, used the letter to convey the entire thing. I mean, John has now, in the span of a few months, lost his child and the love of his life through a one-two punch that would leave even the most calloused bastard reeling. What kind of sick fuck thinks he should be dancing in the streets at this point? No, your theme was honest and realistic.

Sad to be sure, but fucking awesome writing! I compare this to some of your stuff from six months ago and the difference in your writing is night and day. You're living proof that practice makes perfect.

Keep up the great work.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Would or Wouldn't?

I notice people are unable to tell the difference between positive and negative, I hope you just mistyped.

It is perhaps a symptom of people not being careful about pronouncing words correctly (spell as you hear), and folks are actually leaving off the "nt" sound. If so, they should just go ahead and not use the contraction and instead actually say "Would Not".

zed0zed0almost 14 years ago
I LOVE A HAPPY ENDING!

The slut killed herself, and good riddance, the world is now a better place. Although piling up the car is a bit extreme, it makes for a better story than just leaving town. I'm surprised that he bothered to attend the funeral at all, and I'm even more surprised that anybody at the funeral blamed him for dumping her sorry ass. It was a nice comedic touch that she actually expected him to save her from herself(?) when she found out she was pregnant with the boss's bastard. You save your friends, you don't save cheating bitches that turn toxic, and stab you in the back. Now that would have set a new low in "reconciliation at all costs stories." Thank you for not going there. (You also had me going for a minute, I thought this was a continuation of the Steve & Cindy "Dear John" series).

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
One of your best stories to date!

So sad and emotionally exhausting! But wow - you've come a long way baby in your writing!!! The emotions that are evoked in that letter are amazing. Just one more area where our world is not always black and white, when there is no 'right' answer to the same question. Thank you for a powerful story! Very sad but exquisitely written.

~S

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
sad

Thank you for writing this sad tale and sharing it with us.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Let me see if I get this straight........

The husband tries to be there for the wife after the death of their child, but she pushes him away. She ends up building a relationship with her boss instead, even though the husband is still fighting hard to get her to come back to him, making every excuse he can for her behavior, and tries very hard to get her to work with him to save their marriage, she continues to push him away regardless and is getting closer and closer to her boss.

She ends up sleeping with her boss at a party, where he was invited, but she refused to let him come. She ends up pregnant with her boss's child, but only after her husband catches her cheating on him does she want to work on their marriage, the same marriage she had no interest in saving when before she cheated.

And because she died, at her own hand, after he left her this is a powerful "gripping" story? That speaks to you? My god some of you folks need to get out into the daylight more.

What you should have said as comment is "If you cheat on your spouse, and you feel really bad about it, you should be forgiven because everyone gets one free get out of jail free card in every marriage because face it, cheating on one's spouse is 'no big deal' anymore."

I'm sorry, but cheating creates victims. Same if she was drunk and hit someone with a car. No matter how bad "she" may feel, the person who had no control over what she did, received no pleasure or enjoyment from the act, now has to learn to now live with the pain and heartbreak from what she's done. To many writers gloss over that in a rush for a romantic ending (or in this case one where the reader feels bad for her)

And because he choose not to, because the pain was so great she inflicted on him, he's the villain?

*Sigh*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Loved too much

Just a comment that love and hate are both strong emotions. The opposite of Love/hate is indifference and that is not found in this story. The point of my comment is that to love too much (or hate) is to lose a bit of your grip on reality. Would the husband have been better off to love a little bit less and possibly be more forgiving? Is a marriage more stable if a little bit is held back to make the rocky spots more bearable?

Nature does not tolerate extremes and seeks to equalize everything. Are we mere mortals with our short life spans able to prove nature wrong with our strong emotions?

bigguy323bigguy323almost 14 years ago
I agree with Zedo, this has a happy ending.

Zedo said it just right.

thebulletthebulletalmost 14 years ago
the comments really say it all

There are readers on this site who are just total and complete heartless assholes.

Do they ever attempt to understand the emotions behind some of these stories? Do they ever even attempt to understand what Ashley was going through in her mind? Does her baby dying in her arms not give a reason for her turning off the world - even her husband?

This has nothing to do with forgiving adultery. It has to do with understanding human suffering.

Still, Under NO circumstances is adultery worthy of death. If a husband can't live with an adulterous wife (and few can), then divorce her. That's what I did. Still don't like her much 35 years later. But never once did I plan her murder. And if she dies, I will not be dancing on her grave.

Praising the death of the cheating wife as a couple of these readers did is a very sick response.

zed is just one sick motherfucker. He looks at a heart breaking story of loss and thinks it is funny? He can't be serious.

And please don't say they don't really mean it.

My theory: their wives dominate their lives and this death-wish for the literary wife is really a way to silently get at their real wives without making waves. Pussies all.

Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 14 years ago
of course it HAS to be is the Husband fault!! he is man right? ask the author...

that seems to be the premise of every story this fuckwad had ever written.

.....She died months before she got in her car that day and it was partly my fault.....

HOW?

she shuts down and refuses to get help

cuts him off emotionally and sexually for MONTHS and Months .

WILLINGLY gets seduced by her boss ... anyone who believes the cunt whore wife argument tnat she had no idea... is an idiot...

ignored the husband warnings

lashed out and attacked her hsuband for even being concerned

then comes home very late after being fucked... which the husband sees

finds out she is PREGNANT by her boss.... and if that is not a tooal rejection of the husband as a man and Human being I dont know what is...

and this mentally unbalanced author has the wimp husband say

"this is partly MY fault?..."

god almighty.....

Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 14 years ago
sorry Rehnquist YOU are the one missing the point

the fact that the husband has been through so Much hell is NOT the point.

the point is that this author is once again waging war upon anyon who is straight and male.

the wife's pitiful self serving confession is the Key... at no point did the husband emotions pain or anguish over losng the baby ( SIDS??) and then losing his wife as she INTENTIONALLY walked away from him and the mrariage ... ever matter.

To anyone in the story. Lots of folks comforted the wife,

almost all of slirpuff's story operate on this premise.... that any Husband's feelings emotions ideas values dont matter... why?

because he has a cock... which to this author means no matter what this wife ever does it is ALWAYS the husband/ man's fault

anothermarrieddudeanothermarrieddudealmost 14 years ago
It's always a treat when Slirpuff shares his literary stylings with us

I would never have thought that I could generate so much sypathy for a cheating wife. Powerful effort.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
wow

wow, they had some pretty dumb friends, as far as feeling sorry for her i do but more for him.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
First Class

I completely agree with woodmanone and Rehnquist. They expressed my opinions better than I could myself.

<P>

Note to Harry:<br>

I think that you consider "guilt" and "fault" to be synonyms. I read that John felt guilt over Ashley's suicide. I never read anything where John felt that he was at fault for her death.

<p>

Patiently waiting for the next installment of your Vietnam vet series.

gatorhermitgatorhermitalmost 14 years ago
I agree with Rehnquist and TheBullet

One thing that SP got right in this story is that for women it is all about relationships. The mistake the wife made was transferring friendship from her husband to her boss, who was simply playing her. The sex was ancillary.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
My Marriage Nor Anyone Else I Know

Would not have survived her actions, pulled away, lied, cheated, pregnant, please, she didn't love her husband. Where all this remorse comes from is she is still unbalanced, too bad but not ex husbands fault. That he is all weepy just shows they both had issues, most would have moved on.

energystarenergystaralmost 14 years ago
I agree with Rehnquist and the bullet.

Great story.

Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 14 years ago
to ANONYMOUS FIRST CLASS poster

since you asked

..."I think that you consider "guilt" and "fault" to be synonyms. I read that John felt guilt over Ashley's suicide. I never read anything where John felt that he was at fault for her death...."

as I quote from the STORY 5th paragrpah from the Bottom

.............It wasn't an accident and Ashley didn't die as a result of the crash. She died months before she got in her car that day and IT WAS PARTLY MY FAULT. Why didn't I love her enough to forgive her and start over again?...

you may not agree my view which is ...of course....100% fine.

but the husband DOES actually say/ think this is all HIS fault.

you may be right that john feels guilt... WHY i dont have clue....unless he caused her car to drive off the road/ cliff at high speed???

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichalmost 14 years ago
A very believable and heart felt story

Really close to being real life.

Well written and the story kept my interest through out.

Life has a way of beating us humans down sometimes, and this story shows just that.

Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
So she emotionally manipulates him one more time...

From beyond the grave. I guess it's either forced reconciliation or horrible suffering with your stories. No one is happy ever again if they split up with a partner in Slirpuff World.

Average_WriterAverage_Writeralmost 14 years ago
Curious.

Don't people read stories just to enjoy them anymore? I thought it was a good read, thanks for writing the story Slirpuff. And keep them coming.

bruce22bruce22almost 14 years ago
Brutal

Very well done and very painful.

kelly_kellykelly_kellyalmost 14 years ago
Was ok...

But not your best like someone said.

zed0 is funny, he said — "The slut killed herself, and good riddance, the world is now a better place." — now that's a hilarious joke. Isn't it funny that the world just got a "better place" after death of "fictional" character? Ha-ha! Thanks for the big laugh.

~Kelly~

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Thanks

Good writing as always. Can't say that I care about the slut wife dieing. Talk about Karma coming home to roost.

Thanks for a good story.

lancewmlancewmalmost 14 years ago
I also agree with Rehnquist and the bullet.

This was a powerful story about human suffering. Harry is on a rant about males taking the blame. That is certainly a Harry button that any author can push without even trying. But in his blind rant, Harry missed the simplicity of the story -- the human condition played out in a powerful way. Harry often has a good critical eye, but he got his button pushed and he closed his eyes.

ReadTooMuchReadTooMuchalmost 14 years ago
Sick Puppies

Many of the other commentators are unbelievable haters. There is a lot of pain in this story all around. Nobody got what they deserved.

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpetealmost 14 years ago
Great story simply because....

...it evoked such raw and guttural emotions. Post partum depression after sids or other such tragedies opens up behaviors that have no reason, all the fucking time. Doesn't take a genius or even a pseudo intellectual to get that one! Most people, men included, have no Idea what "for worse" means.

jasonnhjasonnhalmost 14 years ago
Powerful story

I guess I find it curious that people are praising the death of this poor lost woman. Her child died. For most woman that is devastating and for some women it is insurmountable. John tried to stand beside her but she wouldn't let him. That is not surprising. In some mixed up way he probably reminded her of the baby. I'm not saying it makes rational sense but it is real. She didn't deliberately try to hurt her husband, her emotions and thinking were all screwed up. That doesn't give her a pass. We are responsible for our actions. But it does give an understandable explanation. What John did was understandable as well. He reached his limit. We all have them. With all he had done to try to keep her on track she cheated on him. It was just too much. However, her decision to kill herself was just that. HER DECISION. I am intimately familiar with such decisions. But no matter how much you realize that the person made their own choice it is VERY difficult to avoid the guilt. John recognizes he has some ownership. If he had stayed with her through this or maybe stayed closer she might have realized she had other choices she could make. John didn't kill himself or crawl into a bottle but he is very sad and lonely. That is not surprising. And, after the church, no one seems to be blaming him either. They all know the tragedy of his life. In the end I feel compassion for the situation, similar to what the people in the church felt after he read her letter. She isn't a nasty bitch. She is a woman who lost her way and unfortunately couldn't find her way back. I think the story conveys that extremely well and therefore is a very successful story. Great job.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
You know I see it too

My opinion is similar to Harry's and a couple of other posters.

The wife pushed the husband away in the story, made him feel betrayed in the story, and ended up in bed with her boss in the story. She betrayed her husband in her time of need time after time at every turn when he tried to be there for her.

Then when she dies, the "Story" tries to make it seem as if the husband felt it was his fault for not forgiving her for her liaison with her boss after she betrayed him at every turn.

What some of you all are missing is that, from what I read, Harry and some others didn't miss that. And they aren't unfeeling A-Holes because they don't have sympathy for a stories character who so grievously betrayed her husband and only felt sorry for her actions "after" she had sex with her boss.

If you feel an affair or two, or cheating a time or two is ok, then sure you'll be able to sympathize with the wife. You'll never understand why some readers don't like the story.

But if you feel when your trying hard to work on a marriage and your wife goes out and gets laid by her boss, while your doing everything in your power to save the marriage and she isn't and you end up leaving her after you catch her in bed with her boss, then you'll understand why having a story where the husband blames himself for her death at the end of it isn't a good read "after" he's done all of that.

vietvetvietvetalmost 14 years ago
I hate cheaters

but this STORY broke my heart because of the circumstances.

Good writing, keep up with the imagination.

They cant all be killers but most should. I know this sounds hypocritical but thats just the way it is.

jiminabjiminabalmost 14 years ago
Thank you....a very good read

not a happy one but a good story. And Harry it is just a story. Keep your bp down.

FireFox59FireFox59almost 14 years ago
Sad Story

Well written Slirpuff. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Very Well Written Author

But you are guilty of wringing as much emotion from a story as you felt possible.<P>

That isn't bad but in a purely unemotional analysis his last reaction was contrary to the facts presented.<P>

Suffice it to say his last emotion was spent because he was hurt by her actions and is now alone.<P>

Anyone would have the right to feel that way at that time even though there really wasn't anything he should have done differently.<P>

Very Nice Work Author - you efforts to grow are more and more tuned into life's complexities.

With High Regard

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Very Good Story

This was a very well written story. Unfortunately, it was a little too dark for my tastes. To each his own.

chytownchytownalmost 14 years ago
So sad!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ and borinnnnnnnng! Damn it!!!! there are about 50 storys on this site with the same story line.

oldwayneoldwaynealmost 14 years ago
I had to give it Five Stars...it was so well written.

I have no sympathy for wimps, cheaters, and weak asses who can't face up to the mistakes they have made. Suicide might be understandable in some circumstances, but does it ever serve anyone well, even the selfish person who is led to commit it? Not all good stories are happy ones, and this one was very gripping. Thanks for your work.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Wow

That is all I can say it brought tears to my eyes it reminded me of the time I lost my child. Me and my fiancee never made it after that and this just helps personify what I felt then.

RehnquistRehnquistalmost 14 years ago
Harry, I'll Be More Clear . . .

I was not trying to say that the wife's adultery was either justifiable or excusable. Nor do I think she would have or should have been forgiven. The point I was trying to make, and the reason I think the story had such great impact, was that the husband had now suffered probably the worst fucking three months in history, and he's left devastated by it. Are you telling me that you wouldn't be left a shell of yourself if (1) your child suddenly died, (2) your marriage immediately started crumbling, (3) your wife pulled further away from you and had an affair, (4) she became pregnant with her lover's child, then (5) she killed herself, all in a 3-month span? I'm not saying, and I don't think the story was saying, that he should've gotten back with her. I think the poor bastard is just looking at the charred landscape that was once his happy, perfect life and thinking he could have--should have--done something different to prevent all of this.

I'm pretty sure we'd all be asking ourselves the same thing, whether we'd have forgiven her or not and whether we'd have been able to do anything about it or not.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Rating it a "three"

This story is a sad tale indeed. Reading about people dying as a part of a "loving wives" story "imho" changes the genre and despite the tragic character that the wife was, I do not see anything loving about her. This story was about the choices that she made to throw her husband and her marriage away. The husband did what many other men would have done. He divorced her and left her with what she had chosen. The fact that she could not handle the consequences of the pain that she brought on to herself was not the husband's fault no matter how much she might have wanted to force him to share that pain with her. Why else send the Dear John letter? In the letter, she complains about her friends probably "ratting her out". Well WTF? If they hadn't and she had gotten away with having sex with her boss without her husband finding out, would that have made her marriage stronger or her a better wife or a better person. I doubt it. The marriage was dead. She had killed it before she killed herself and her unborn child. The husband may feel horrible but he has no reason to feel that he was in anyway at fault. I didn't think that having the lover killed in the end did much for the story except that it made the husband's character seem less sympathetic. I don't usually agree with Harry's comments but this time I do. In Slirpuff's stories, there can be no ending it seems unless or until the husband either: accepts the fact that his wife is a cheating slut but he loves her anyway and must reconcile, or he gets trashed by his own kids for not reconciling with their cheating mother, or he gets beaten up by one of his wife's drinking buddies or boyfriends or he accepts the fact that he really caused or at least had something to do with why she cheated on the marriage in the first place. I'm not saying that in every story the wife needs to be sent packing for her indiscretions and I am not saying that in every story the cheated upon husband needs to be depicted as an arrogant saint. It would just be interesting to sometime read a story where the husband turns out not to the be the bad guy and be strong enough to walk away from the wife and get on with his life. I really do appreciate Slirpuff's efforts. Thanks for sharing. Ohio, USA

shangoshangoalmost 14 years ago
Harry is right and the Bullet is off-course once again

Does anyone OTHER than Harry remember this? "I suppose my good friends ratted me out and with the hotel manager in tow you walked into the room."

"Ratted me out?" Does this read like remorse to any thinking human? She was still blaming loddie, doddie and every damned body but herself. Post-partum Depression? A Doctor visit or two could have fixed it. I sympathize when people get caught up in something other than their own creations. Hubby should be sad, but ONLY FOR HIS CHILD! Obviously, anyone's death is not time for rejoicing in most situations, but by the Author's own admission, his female lead was accustomed to taking the easy way out. Personally, I respect Fighters and have no use for quitters.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
This Hurts to read, BUT

No one wants to see anyone dead. But if Ashley did not kill her self, they would have gone on with life. I think Ashley kind of got revenge for John not forgiving her by writing the letter and killing herself. At the end I don’t think Jim should have dyed. Just dismembered, remove the member and ten fingers.

SleeplessinMD2SleeplessinMD2almost 14 years ago
Blame John?

Although Ashley did not have to write the letter she wanted to get her ultimate revenge on John - guilt for her death. Ashley's story is really not that unique - lost of child lead to rejection of husband permiting another lover to move in. Ashley started cheating on John when she first entered an emotional affair with her boss. First feelings and then actions usually lead to an affair and this case was no different. What was sad was how she subtley put the blame on everyone else but herself and then took the coward's way out. She gave up on any chance of reconciliation with John even before John did and she was not willing to fight for him. So what if it took months or years that is how you show someone you love that you will work to rebuild their trust. No ashley wanted a quick fix to her mistake so the only thing John is gulity of is not jumping to her "I am sorry and it will never happen again" plea. Absolution of the cheating is not a right and the wronged spouse has every right to pick the time of the reconciliation if any.

sexmatesexmatealmost 14 years ago
Emotional read

Story was tough to read. Why because it was close to home.

My brother was killed when he was 7. I was 12. Some of the actions these 2 did I had witnessed with my parents. Their marriage survived but it was never the same nor was our family. The pain/emotion from that time will always be raw for me. It changed everything!

Thanks for writing!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Well Done

Well put together. Really tough to read

Thanks

RonRWoodRonRWoodalmost 14 years ago
Rehnquist has it right

Some of you hateful women hating slobs like Zero and Harry turn my stomach! My first wife and I lost a child after birth and we never recovered what we had even though we tried for another eight years. The pain and sorrow is unbelievable. But then, hateful commenters like you don't understand or care about feelings in any story. Why don't you read violent, action stories, and stay away from the loving wives? All you do is draw a crowd of the unloved or inexperienced readers that don't understand the complexities and pitfalls of a "Real" loving relationship.

thebulletthebulletalmost 14 years ago
It's about the human condition...

misogynists like HIV and Zed just cannot see past adultery to try to understand circumstance. Their unending distrust and dislike of women in general leads them to always want to torch the bitch.

Losing a child is at the top of the list of stress factors that negatively effect a marriage. Often one parent has a far more serious reaction than the other and dives into depression so deep that it is insurmountable without professional help.

And even with that help, the marriage itself remains on the ropes. This is not the fault of the husband or the wife. It is simple reality.

Why can't people like HIV and zed and their woman-hating brethren understand this?

Their reaction is to blame everything on the cheating slut. HIV, of course, must also usually denigrate the author. And writing is something that HIV hasn't the guts to attempt. He knows he would be eviscerated by his very own ass-kissing buddies. (Hey, ass-kissing HIV pals: that means you would cut his balls off.)

Let's just admit it, guys. HIV is a cunt.

Meanwhile, people like Zed who root for the wife to die are just plain sick motherfuckers. Are you guys posting from a prison cell or something?

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
wtf?

are you an idiot? HIV doesnt hate women, and neither do most of the readers on site (at least im hoping they're not that stupid). the fact is, adultery is adultery-there is not circumstances or excuses. excuses are like assholes, everyones got them. you can try and rationalize anything, ya know so instead of it being black and white, its in the gray area. that doesnt change anything and it certainly is the spouse's (man or woman) fault if they just cant see themselves staying together. it certainly is not johns fault that his wife cheated or that she killed herself. now, i will admit it sounds like ashley was depressed, possibly suicidal after the death of her baby, but at what point do you say enough is enough? because she obviously didnt want help and sick as she was, didnt care about her husband. what, did it slip her mind that not only did john also lose a child but hes losing his wife? maybe he needed help, maybe he needed comfort. anyway, my point is that divorcing doesnt make you a bad person or "unenlightened" or whatever pc bs people spout, it just means your human and yes i know, its human to make mistakes and cheat but that same logic can be applied to victum-they're human and they cant get over your mistake.

jd927jd927over 13 years ago

I guess I'm supposed to sympathize with Ashley but I cannot. I try to accept these type of stories, but I can't agree with suicide notes that are (likely subconsciously) intended to cause severe feelings of guilt and shame toward someone.

quote "John, I needed you more at that moment than I'd needed anyone else in my entire life. You were my knight in shinning armor. You were supposed to take care of me; you were supposed to save me. I tried so many times to call you but you never answered; I guess I didn't really expect you to. You were done and so was I." /quote

She loves John so much she'll write something like that which will only serve to cause irreparable hurt and heartache to the man. Maybe she didn't intend for that, but it's stuff like that that cause these stories to be so displeasing for me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
WOW

This was a short but very powerful story ! One of the reasons I keep coming back to you a one of this sites better writers . Keep up the good work !!!!!

AnotherClosetReaderAnotherClosetReaderover 13 years ago
I must be missing something,

Why is John getting all the hate looks when he comes to the church in the beginning? I didn't read anything that would have supported that much animosity to the 'wronged party'. Who wants to be married to a person that is taking an actively destructive position on their relationship with the spouse. I got two words for that might have altered the situation: Involuntary Commitment. Might have opened up a whole new can of worms for marriage counseling, but she might not have taken up with the jack ass, thus not gotten knocked up, thus not gotten dead.

0649d0649dover 13 years ago
wife sick, not husband's fault

yes, he loved her but nobody can expect him to do more than he did. it's good that she got rid of herself so he didn't wimp out and have to raise the bastard kid (i can hardly see her aborting a baby after the first one died). now he's the one who needs therapy. hope he has a nice life!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
misdirected anger

The hostility towards this guy? There is the probability that the content of the letter will not change all minds. Sometimes, its just too late to salvage things.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Certainly wasn't John's fault

As someone who has lost a child, I am not unsympathetic to the mother. And I deeply identify with the friction between her and John. When we are hurting that badly, many of us choose destructive paths. Trapped in our private pain, we lash out even against those closest to us.

But she took from John the one thing they had left -- their marriage. To expect anything other than an immediate divorce at that point would have been unrealistic on her part.

As for the others in the church "hating" John, screw them all, the self-righteous scum. Walk a mile in his shoes, and then judge. He lost his son, and then his wife shut him out, and then sought comfort from another. At that point, it was past time to call it a day.

She chose to engage in actions that destroyed her marriage. I write that as a fact, like "the avalanche started." It's not that the village "deserved" to be destroyed, but that once the snow begins to rumble, the conclusion is foregone.

Then she chose to take her own life, in an attempt to end her pain. That's a damned shame, but it was her choice once again. I can have sympathy for her character -- oh BOY do I understand that impulse -- without in any way putting even one iotum of blame on John.

Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
A work of pure Genius !!

Have anyone thought of what it takes to put so much feelings,so much emotions and anguish into words and sentences?

It is impossible for most people. But then you find a diamond in the trash ! Most enjoyable read. Thank you Slirpuff !!! Mr Ross Smrek.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Really a pretty stupid story.

Sounds highly British since male never talked with the wife (as usual in these stories). Too much copying from other LW tales. Just a male character being a weak, whiney, coward; unwilling to act to change things.

racoon1174racoon1174almost 13 years ago

Since I found your stories I've been reading them in order this Is so far my favorite. Having lived through my wifes multiple miscarriages the emotion you've written here brought me right back to those awful days and the utter despair we both felt. Excellent work!

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
PAYBACK: WITH A VENGANCE

Even though, it still hurts. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Another Tear Jerker

Very sad and well done!!!

Your story brings to mind, raises to the surface of the conscious mind, the full impact, feeling and thought of wishing, with great anxiety, to be able to turn back the clock of time. An emotion, coupled with your story and other life experiences, brings sadness and tears - oh how we wish!

Thanks, your usual fine work!

phd70phd70over 12 years ago
Touching, but too negative for my liking.

Wife was drunk and emotionally adrift. A good lesson in the story, but downbeat stories are not to my taste. Husband was insensitive and failed to communicate and support his distraught wife.

AustinDaniels2012AustinDaniels2012about 12 years ago
Enough! Enough!

God damn, I hate a sad story like this!

How dare you - you bastard - write such a good story...and write it so well...and make it so bloody heart wrenching!!!!!! You can put me in such a deep dark depression with stories such as this! I hate it!

But the story was so well written.....

LegionsOfLiesLegionsOfLiesabout 12 years ago
@ phd70

Yeah the husband was so insensitive not like he had to cope with the loss of his son right, just a bastard that didn't communicate with his grieving wife cause he didn't lose anything. The wife pulled away from him to lost/concerned in her own pain to ever care about his not the other way around. (Note* I'm not blaming the wife for her pain just merely pointing out that the husband experienced the same pain of loss but also suffered an additional pain as she pulled away from him leaving him to grieve for the loss of their son and his losing of her) - (usual yadda about smartphone typing)

BTTapBTTapabout 12 years ago
Great, sad story

Other, similar stories on this site. Loss or illness of child leads to depression and emotional upheaval, distancing between wife and husband in their grief. Wife, an obvious target for a predator, gets seduced. A sad tale. Perhaps the most "excuseable" of on-going affairs-given the mental/emotional state of the wife. Well told tale-I liked the presentation of the story in the confessional letter. Keeps it simple and to the point. A reconciliation could have been justified in this case, but hubby's choice, which he now regrets, was valid, too. Of course, the baby would have been a bit of a stumbling block-I wonder if she could have brought herself to abort it?

tazz317tazz317about 12 years ago
#2 REMORSE IS NEVER AN AFTER-THOUGHT

even when the payment is the ultimate. TK U MLJ LV NV I have always wondered, after a person M/F kills themselves or is killed by a wronged spouse and knowing there were words and bad blood that preceded the act, IF one could question them, "WHAT WOULD/COULD BE THERE ANSWER. mlj

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveabout 12 years ago
Sad

She cheated but she was fucked up. He left but he was fucked up. She killed herself. She's not fucked up any more. He killed the man she cheated with. Now he's more fucked up than ever. Only one thing to say. Fuck it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Well written but heart wrenching

Slirpuff, Great story, reaches to the core of human sadness.

Always look forward to your stories!!!!!!!!

5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
SAD

Nice, stories like this are REAL, your a man, I'm a man, I can't, you can't, stop being what GOD made you, US....bill

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Idiotic.

There isn't enough time or words to explain the inconsistencies in this story. Her refusal to accept her responsibility WITHOUT blaming her boss, her husband or life in general. Her suicide as an act of contrition is equally stupid. Suicide is never about "contrition", it is an attempt to avoid consequences. Who the fuck reads a letter like that at a funeral? Does that pathetic excuse of a man pretending to be her husband actually believe that he is sorry she is dead? He hard her so much that now she's gone we're expected to accept that he forgives her? Bullshit! That sharia cocksucking, goat blowing Muhammad can kiss my ass.

Huedogg2Huedogg2over 11 years ago
It was a good story

In the end everyone loss, but as far as some of the stupid ass comments like from phd70, so its his fault that his wife pulled away from him and cheated. I'd hate to see what you'd saw if she keep the bastard child.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
great work

Another outstanding story.

You have a talent for dragging emotions from your readers.

Now i feel like i should take off and go spend the day with my wife.

Thanks again for another wonderful story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Total

Total BULLSHIT CRAP--She was a cheating whore skank slut. She should have got on with her life. She blamed her husband them spred her legs to FUCK and got what she got. HA HA HA HA

Danger09Danger09over 11 years ago
This story was heart wrenching

I actually cried reading this story, it was so sad. I'm a little confused as to why everyone was looking at him with hatred, did they blame him for her death? This story was so realistic I felt like I was there, I could feel the wife's pain as well as the husbands. The wife was depressed about losing her baby, even when her husband tried to console her she refused to let him help her. The husband even suggested she see someone in order to deal with her loss but she refused. What the wife failed to realized is that she wasn't the only one grieving, she wasn't the only one who lost a child, she somehow didn't think/or feel like his feelings or grief mattered or that her grief was more extensive than his. As a woman I know exactly how she feels, she felt alone , angry, depressed and she blamed herself for the death of her baby, but she couldn't see that her husband was feeling those exact same thing it's just that men hide it better than we women can, men puts on a brave face for us, they try to carry the enormous weight on their shoulders for us women but the wife was so caught up in feeling sorry for herself that she neglected to recognize this . I understood the wife's anger but I can't understand why she pushed her husband away? If what she wanted/needed someone to know what she was going through he would know. I don't think the husband was being an insensitive asshole, I think he'd do the exact same thing my husband would do if we were in this couples shoes, he tried his best to help her but she didn't want help she wanted to continue to blame him for everything. I actually would've liked for them to get back together--because this wasn't plan, she wasn't all there, & I'm pretty sure she wouldn't of did it again. She was obviously remorseful unlike most of the cheating sluts, I don't classify her as a slut. I think she had problems that she could've worked through if she tried. She didn't cheat on her husband in anticipation of hurting him, she was depressed & drunk. Not that this is an excuse but. I wished they ended up together. Maybe the husband could've been more forecful in getting his wife some help but he didn't want to drive a bigger wedge between them. Men are different than women, we women have this intense bond with our unborn child, we are the first to feel them move, the first to feel them kick, the first to feel their heart beat, so our pain is much intense/stronger when we lose that little person we have come to bond & love with from the moment the test strip turned blue. Whereas a men will grieve but they will eventually move on, and some insensitive asshole husbands will get annoyed that the wife isn't moving on also, this husband wasn't like that, he put up with a lot of bullshit from this wife & yet he was still there for her rather she knows it or not but for anyone to say he was an asshole for divorcing due to her infidelity is a moron, after everything she's done to push away & keep him out of her life, why would he just ignore/forgive her affair? Maybe if she wasn't this utter complete bitch he might've been able to forgive her. I don't blame him for divorcing her. I think they both needed someone to talk to.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 11 years ago
Second Comment

This is one possible outcome of cheating. In the end, nobody wins.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Another good, if sad, story

Another one of your pieces that I enjoyed. I will say this - you do seem to elicit a large number of comments about your stories and reading them provides a great deal of humor in and of themselves. You have a gift of "firing" people up when they read your stuff. Keep on writing!

BfreetorunBfreetorunalmost 11 years ago
Very sad. I do not know what I would have done under the same circumstances.

Except for the taking care of the seducer, that was justice. I hope he suffered before he died.

EgoTrixiEgoTrixiover 10 years ago
Emotional

Wonderful story, hardly readable without the one or the other tearfilled eye. 5*

JounarJounarover 10 years ago
3*

A good if sad story but points docked for turning hubby into a wimp at the end and also for all the people in the church giving hubby shit as him being blamed for wife fucking up their lives just seems nuts.

OneShotOneOneShotOneover 10 years ago
Took him for everything he had?

In a no fault state the wife would get half the marital assets child support and if she didn't work some alimony but as the ex boss had no job that's a wash. In an at fault state she may have gotten 60% of the assets 65% if the judge was her aunt.

The ex lover winds up dead beaten to death and the cops in that town are so incompetent that they didn't ask themselves and then the dead man's family and friends "Hey is there anyone who may have wanted old Jim here dead?" I'm pretty sure the person at the top of their list would be the man he cuckolded and whose wife offed herself. And I know the Literotica revenge trope is that every cop who comes across a dead or beaten Lothario had a wife/GF who cheated on him so he looks the other way. But that's weak and slirpuff you're better than that. Most times.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

You're a wanker cantbuymy

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

she cheats on him and gets knocked up, then blames him cause he's not her knight in shining armor this time around.

He actually does the intelligent thing and gets rid of the cheating bitch.

She commits suicide.

Now he feels bad and wishes the whore was alive so he could have her back... wait wait lets change that last sentence.... He throws a party celebrating that the whore made the divorce easier.. that's the appropriate ending there.

2/5 for non appropriate ending.

1Thinkingman1Thinkingmanover 10 years ago
I hate when you catagorize it as a mistake

Adultery is not a mistake. It is a systematic betrayal of someone you are supposed to love. It is hate pure and simple. Whether it is a man or a woman does not matter. There is nothing you can do to a loved one that is worse, accept have someone else child while committing adultery.

I do not agree with this attitude: "Why didn't I love her enough to forgive her and start over again?" What he should have asked was why his wife did not love him enough to not cheat, to not close him out in her grief? That is what this story is about. Women think that because they carry the child they are the only ones allowed to grieve. Men grieve for both the lost child and the mother. It is in our genetic make-up to be protectors of the people we love and when we lose them or have to watch them grieve we grieve as well. There is no excuse for cheating and his wife was cheating from the moment she started to distance herself from her husband and seek solace in the company of another man. It is inexcusable and the outcome is unforgiveable. John did nothing wrong and will pay for it the rest of his life. So while you are feeling sorry for his wife think about that, she was a coward and took a coward's way out. He is left with the ashes. I gave this story a **** it could have been a five but had to much of the self recrimination crap that does not fly in reality.

DepopuloDepopuloover 10 years ago

cantbuy is right on the money here this is a man saved from self cuck but the author makes him feal guilty, shit they story should have him doing a dance on her coffin at the funeral and pissing on her grave.

1/5 for self cuck

sdc92078sdc92078about 10 years ago
Suicide notes are all about making people feel guilty enough to forgive you

It's the old "you'll be sorry when I'm gone" ploy. One last chance to turn the knife she stuck in his heart.

The one good thing about the ending is that if her suicide was only a couple of months after he had her served with the divorce papers, it probably wasn't final yet and they were still married. He gets to keep everything.

sdc92078sdc92078about 10 years ago
Suicide was the final proof he was right to get out

Not only was she a cheater, she was unstable.

KarenEKarenEabout 10 years ago
He's got nothing to feel guilty about

He tried and tried and tried to help her through her grief, she pushed him away, never acknowledging his grief.

Then she ignores his warning about her predator boss until she cheats with him.

To expect him to forgive her is too much, and she took the coward's way out.

JounarJounarabout 10 years ago
no mistakes in this story onlt shitty choices

Sad story but hubby had nothing to feel guilty about. Ashley choose not to accept any help over the death of their child and pushed John away time and time again. While this would be a major problem for any marriage it could of been repairable except for the fact Ashley choose not to.

She then choose to sneak around behind her husbands back over and over again with a man she was warned was a snake. Worst of all, she choose to take the cowards way out and then lay a guilt trip on a man who had more than suffered enough, which imho is totally unforgivable.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
It`s all his fault

After all, he was the one that killed their baby by breathing too much, leaving no oxygen in the room. He was the one that held her down, and forced another man`s dick into her. He was the one that ignored her for months, and put a gun to her head, ordering her to have an affair. He was the one that turned her into a lunatic. He was the one that pushed her car off the cliff.

What a crock of shit! She blamed him for everything that happened in her life, because she couldn`t face the choices she made. And to top it off, she lays the blame for her suicide at his feet, saying he should have forgiven her, ensuring that he will feel guilty for the rest of his life.

Suicide is for attention seeking cowards, and their notes are written to make sure someone else feels shitty forever, because even in death, they can`t accept responsibility for their own actions.

Loosing a child is the most painful thing that can happen to anyone, you don`t get over it. It hurts everyday of your life. You find yourself thinking at odd moments "What would my little angel have looked like now?". Every happy moment for the rest of your life is tainted with regret and sadness. That does not give you an excuse to become a shitty, selfish person! You get up in the morning, picture her smiling face, and vow to be a good person for her. She might be gone, but you be the person she would have wanted you to be!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
this tale

most of your stories have some sort of a "feel good" ending. For me, this one didn't. In fact I found John to be a pathetic character grieving over her. I would have pissed on her grave.

I can't get over the audacity of her to think John owed her support financially or otherwise. I guess that's the definition of hubris.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Is it a mans fault that he is unable to forgive a situation where his wife dis-respects him, cheats on him and neglects him? He warned her what was happening, she ignored him , hid the party from him and then makes him feel bad for not being the knight in shining armour she needed. What about what he needed.

x_witless_xx_witless_xalmost 10 years ago
Oh god. Brilliantly portrayed Slirps.

The unremitting horror of hindsight. Dear John indeed,

I'm not 100% sure the hound dog was actually a real predator, he maybe genuinely cared for her. But for hub who had lost his son that would never be justification. He trashed the motherfucker and bad - and I can't condone it, but I guess I get the why. 5*

x_witless_xx_witless_xalmost 10 years ago
The comments on this story are worth a comment in themselves.

LW gold. Where are all these great commenters now. I'll give you a clue. At some latter stage of the commenting some cunt who shouldn't be able to access a computer introduced the word cuckie, applying to John. It was the day LW fell apart.

Tootight1Tootight1over 9 years ago
5*

there is a saying, "walk a mile in my shoes..etc." I believe it's appropriate here, for the nay sayers.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Hahahahah

Serves the slut right. What the fuck did she expect, that her husband would raise a bastard? No. Fuck you. Fuck you for writing it in a way that says he should have forgiven her and taken in a bastard child as his own. Fuck you for even insinuating that betrayals should be forgiven. Her husband was always there. Always willing to support her. But she found it easier to spread her legs for another man and let herself get knocked up.

Fuck you, one last time.

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
IF AND WHAT IF

look at the scattered and damaged lifes left in the ruin. Weep for the living. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
What does the word "Bastard" mean???

Sub-human or something like that? An innocent kid who didn't ask to be born, but brought into this world nonetheless?

Ashley lost a child and killed another one (the sub-human). She got off easy, should have lived a long bitter life. A completely unlikable person. Psycho mambo-jumbo my ass.

Slirpuff, please try not to kill babies for the sake of the story, sub-human or not...

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
So sad

This has to be one of he saddest stories I have ever read.

George in Omaha

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
the sub human was the lover boy jim.

he started the trouble.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous