All Comments on 'Writing Sci-Fi'

by al_Ussa

Sort by:
  • 5 Comments
txcoatl1970txcoatl1970over 13 years ago
Not bad walkthrough of genres in SF

I too am a nerd into SF and fantasy. A damn good book to absorb lessons about writing is Stephen King's Danse Macabre, where he goes into the storytelling and horror tropes he works with, the Joe Campbell-lite discussions of the collective unconscious symbols that keep reappearing in horror fiction and so forth. I wish he'd update it, but hey, it stands alone.

I also spend way too much time at tvtropes.org merrily looking up their terms for tropes and examples.

Both are accessible starting resources to get pointers on how to write, but nothing beats first, reading a wide and deep swath of stories to get an idea of what stories are out there and practice on a site like this, submitting your work and getting feedback from your audience and editors re: style and content a lot quicker and cheaper than doing writers' workshops at Ames or whatever.

I'm not knocking those workshops, but they're basically a feel-good exercise to demystify the process of writing good stories, how to submit them and maybe get paid for them and network with established authors.

If you've got the time and money to do these things, great. Otherwise, the above will give you the raw materials to become a writer.

nomoretears00nomoretears00over 13 years ago
very helpful...

and gave me some answers I needed. Tried to find stuff on the internet, haven't had much luck. Perfect timing for me :)

Qeda_CharlemaigneQeda_Charlemaigneover 12 years ago
Bravo!

VERY well-written and highly informative! Love it!

Quite a few of my fans (I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that I have, "fans") have asked me how I can create worlds.

What writing (in any form) boils down to is decent verbage and an active imagination.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Well done!

Science Fiction has another important purpose you overlooked: it lets an author criticize various society styles but not be seen as offending a particular group. For instance, Keith Laumer in his "Retief, Ambassador to Space" series, writes about an alien species with grey skin and 5 eye stalks that act and talk very much like Soviet Russians, right down to their obsession with sports arenas and tractor factories as great accomplishments, and their propensity for walking in and taking charge (at gunpoint if necessary) but one could never accuse him of insulting the Russians, now could they?

DarkAurther6969DarkAurther6969about 1 year ago

Good advice but I think you would need a Thick Skin and in some ways Really Thick Skin in most cases, whenever you're Uploading Online and not just on her on Lit. Even if you're Not Writing a Sci Fi Story, even if you're Writing a Non Historical Mundane 'Slice Of Life' Story about a Single Father doing his best to Raise his Three Daughters or a Woman Finally getting her Dream Job or whatever the case maybe. Moving On I'm not sure if this is Considered another Sub Genre? But I'm going to Mention it anyways and that is Marden Day Sci Fi, and what that Entails is that the said Sci Fi Story both looks and Feels like it could be taken place in the Marden Day but with a Sprinkle of Sci Fi added into it, just thing 'I Robot' or 'Real Steel'.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous