All Comments on 'Still Born Soldiers'

by Lauren Hynde

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
KOLKOREKOLKOREalmost 16 years ago
"There is nothing new under the sun"

The poem Immediately resonated to me with the terse tone of the Hebrew book of Qohelet (Ecclesiastes): "What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done there is nothing new under the sun" ... At each age you may take those line to mean something somewhat different.

In addition, the poem uses language which associates with endless births and with endless deaths; all to the numbing roll of a drum, reminiscent of any dramatization of mass mindless movement of workers or soldiers we have seen in the last hundred years on the screens or on stage from Metropolis of Lang to Modern Times by Chaplin.

Bill DadaBill Dadaalmost 16 years ago
^

Too true. God I hope the marching stops before we come to the end of the world.

BooMerengueBooMerenguealmost 16 years ago
Lauren

I will keep this one in a special place. You made the horrible become humdrum and back again. Very nice. Thanks.

Boo

CinnerCinnerover 11 years ago
Very nice

Interesting observation. I wanted to be able to contradict you and suggest that we have to be taught this kind of violence against each other, but this made me think of The Lord of the Flies and any of the apocryphal movies that I've seen. Fight seems to be more encoded into our DNA than is flight or fidelity.

JonasRobinsonJonasRobinsonover 4 years ago
Good stuff

Deep. I enjoyed this because of the soldier metaphor. Thank you for sharing, and congrats. :)

Intoxcy8meIntoxcy8meover 3 years ago

---bless the soul who typed this up. Beautiful work I love the way you wove it❥

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous