All Comments on 'Cardiac Arrest Frustration'

by Lady_Fiona

Sort by:
  • 9 Comments
vrosej10vrosej10about 13 years ago
I really like this.

I enjoyed the repetition. It kept it tense.

GuiltyPleasureGuiltyPleasureabout 13 years ago
I agree....

.....with jrose, the repetition adds to the urgency. This poem also conveys the personal aspect of losing that thin thread of life.

Tess

AngelineAngelineabout 13 years ago
This is good

I don't usually go for repetitions in a poem but this is all about the repetitions and it works really well. You made me see what was happening with very few words and only good poems can do that.

GuiltyPleasureGuiltyPleasureabout 13 years ago
Addendum

The word "frustration" in the title is rather cold. I can see why you chose it but for such an emotional situation it's a bit detached, but perhaps that's the whole point. :-)

T again.

buttersbuttersabout 13 years ago
lost the first comment

i hit refresh :rolleyes: here we go again:

this is all about the reps - CPR IS all about the reps. you've taken that tool and used it to full benefit here, Fi.

not keen on the title either, but that's not down to the word Frustration being sort of cool for the topic. i'd imagine in the world of medics that they have to be able to disconnect after such events or it'd rip them apart, day after day, and losing a patient because help's so late arriving has to be the most frustrating of all. Frustration on its own might work better as the title for this. your last line absolutely bleeds it.

once again, i'm recommending you cut back on the punctuation, Fi. allow the line-breaks to work here as short, sharp lines can begin to feel cluttered when loaded with the punctuation prose demands. i'm not suggesting you lose all of it, just most of the commas at the end of lines. for example, imo this works better, makes for a cleaner read and doesn't distract the eye from the punchiness of your write:

Counting 600

Shes only 42

Counting 600

Come back to me please.

Counting 600

Compressions, don’t stop

Counting 600

Why do you live so remote?

Counting 600

Now 2 breaths, that’s it

Counting 600

Now we must start again.

Counting 600

Where the fuck is it?

Counting 600

No signs of life, or it.

Counting 600

Finally it arrives

Counting 600

But still the patient dies.

I have a small problem with 'Why do you live so remote?' as that feels a little forced to fit; my eye keeps trying to fill in the 'ly' at the end there.

the line 'Finally it arrives' reads better as 'It finally arrives' as i read it aloud, though a heavy breath out applied to the Finally does give it more oomph. just, and again this is only my opinion, the line reads more smoothly beginning with It.

fridayamfridayamabout 13 years ago
Passion

contending with detachment--nicely balanced.

greenmountaineergreenmountaineerabout 13 years ago

I agree with chipbutty's comments about punctuation. With less, I would have read it faster which, I think, would be the desired affect upon the reader, adding to the urgency and running out of time, if you will. In that regard, I might even have left out L3 and L4 in S4 and end S5 with a simple sentence of subject, verb, something like "you're dead," suggesting you were still talking to him/her, however futile it was, rather than making a statement about a patient.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Ummmm.

Hey, people...

I never thought poetry requires post production commentary? Constructive criticism, yes- but not decomposition and deconstruction. Why not rewrite Tennyson and Poe, too?

Just my 3 pennies.

Keep writing, Fifi. I really enjoy reading your work.

tazz317tazz317over 11 years ago
CLEAR....CLEAR.....CLEAR

flatline--------------------TK U MLJ LV NV

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous