All Comments on 'Remington .44'

by woodmanone

Sort by:
  • 41 Comments
tazz317tazz317almost 12 years ago
A TALE OF THE OLD WEST AND PEOPLE

their frailities and their strengths. TK U MLJ LV NV

bruce22bruce22almost 12 years ago
Great Western

True to the image. Who care if it all has been done before. Don't you enjoy variations on a musical theme?

donaldedonaldealmost 12 years ago
thank you

for posting another entertaining tale from the old west i very much enjoyed it looking forward to your nexr offering

kmeyerskmeyersalmost 12 years ago
Good story

Could be compared to some of Louie's short stories.

mike2710mike2710almost 12 years ago
Thanks

Enjoy your stories. I all ways read them no matter what category. Thanks for the entertainment. Mike from Texas

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Well, Woody

no romance, but the romance of the West, and you do that good! A real flavor to that "30 and found".

Do

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Thank You for another good story

Thank you for another good story

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Remington .44

As always, an excellent story. Well done

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
You need some ballistics schoolin.....

Some of your firearms references are off. You reference to a certain calibre of Sharps fer example.......shoulda been a 45-70 for military carbine but could well have been a 45-90, 45-110 or even 45-120.

Luke's rifle you simply could have referred to as a Yellow Boy and we would have known it was a brass framed 66 or you could also have refered to it as his rimfire as only two rifles of that era had a brass frame and held 15 rounds of what would have been 44-40. The other rifle of course is the predicessor to the 1866 Winchestor which was the Henry.

Lukes Colt that he gave away you could have just called a Navy six as it only came in 36 cal where the Army Colts were 44 cal.

You also did not state it but what calibre was the Remmington? It could have been 44 Russian, 44 centerfire or 44-40.......my guess is that since Luke only bought 44-40 rimfire at the store thats what it was.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Another winner, Woody!

I felt the ending was too abrupt, but, altogether a fine read. Thank you.

thebulletthebulletalmost 12 years ago
a well written story

excellent story - don't care about any errors in the ammunition. A nice read - it makes senses, it evokes emotion, it satisfies.

Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Great story....kinf of like a Louis L'Amour

Spent allot of time in AZ and have made the trek from Prescott down to Tuscon,

you did a nice job of capturing the feel and nice pace. Thanks for the great story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
excellent

I liked your story very much, I hope you continue it. I would love to read more!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Fine Writing

Your are a fine writer all ways enjoy your stories. You clearly know the Colorado Springs area by your references in your stories. When ever I drive up and down I-25 I all ways think of your stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
A good short story but

not long enough to be considered a novella

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Great well done story !

I really enjoyed it and it was excellent!And well written and it was exciting to read I hope you do more stories like this and perhaps even put them into a book.Because I have the feeling it would be a great success .Thnaks very much

JaekartJaekartover 10 years ago
Another well done Story !!

I have very few 'favorite' Authors, but you are at the top of the list. Like Louis L'amour, you put enough descriptive comments in your stories, that any reader that has been anywhere near the area, can feel themselves being there. That, to me, is the essence of storytelling. Bravo Sir, Keep em comin.

rightbankrightbankover 10 years ago
Gillian has now lost again

seems Caleb didn't learn anything. I would rather have followed the return trip to Chino valley than hear of Gillian losing her son.

bullet375bullet375almost 10 years ago
The wonderful internet

One of the wonderful, but frustrating things about the internet is that idiots such as "anonymous" can preen, strut and call themselves experts on topics they know nothing about. In this case, it's historic rifles, handguns and cartridges. The model 1859 Sharps was often converted to fire a metallic .52-70 cartridge. Anonymous erroneously claimed the author erred in this reference.

The Model 1866 Winchester Yellow Boy was correctly described as chambered for the .44 caliber Rimfire. The Remington Conversion revolver was undoubtedly chambered for .44 Rimfire because 1) the revolver was used for many years by an old gunfighter 2) The story is set in 1873 (Elwood was 68 and born in 1805) 3) The .44 Russian was introduced in 1870 and 4) the .44-40 was introduced in 1873.

A general mercantile store clerk in 1873 Wickenburg Arizona would have almost certainly have handed Luke .44 Rimfire cartridges without inquiring whether he wanted .44 Russian or .44-40 cartridges instead. He probably wouldn't have them in stock anyway. They were too new to have made it to a backwater desert frontier town that soon.

So, "Anonymous," do some homework before you display your A$$ publicly.

spud65spud65almost 9 years ago
Nice work

Not really a fan of westerns but that may be changing in the near future. Great read!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago

Followed in his fathers footsteps but on the right side of the law. excellent!

Ed Grocott

edgrocott@gmail.com

xtchrxtchrover 8 years ago
Are You A Louis L'Amour Clone!

Wow, another great Western. The only problem you seem to have is that I keep wishing for MORE. Loved the Western genre, the good men seemed so noble. Imagine a time when 'giving your word' actually had meaning. These men didn't have much but a hard life, but they had another dying concept - Honor. You write one hell of a Western. Thank You!

auhunter04auhunter04over 8 years ago
good'un,

People just don't understand about Arizona. You don't have to dig very deep to find the true old west. As I have said before and will again. You seem to have a touch for finding the hidden parts. You might check out the Sycamore Canyon area and the horse thief trail that runs through the area. There's said to be an old outlaw hangout in the general area as well over around the west side of Oak Creek Canyon up above the switchbacks.

Like I said you writ another good'un

Butch

auhunter04@yahoo.com

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarover 8 years ago
As recommended

The western stories were recommended to me. This is a well written classic western yarn. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I can see how this could have been expanded into a much longer and wider story. There are some characters in the story that have backstories that could prove interesting. I mostly enjoy the erotic stories on this site but a good adventure is a nice interlude from time to time. Oh, extremely minor point but "ya'll" is from "you all" or conversely "all of you". It's plural, or at least it is/was in the old south. It's a damn fine read. Thank you.

MorganDeWolfeMorganDeWolfeabout 8 years ago
Disappointed.

Well written western story, kept me engaged throughout and I appreciated the ending.

However, I was so very disappointed in the characterization of Gillian. Most of the early western women I've read about had far more grit and stood by their man through thick and thin. Gillian reads more as a 21'st century self entitled bitch. Louis L"Amour would be sad to see Gillian in one of his towns.

Just My Opinion, YMMV

Morgan DeWolfe

Archery2015Archery2015over 6 years ago
Writing to good for this site

I'd be happy to see your work in a book store. Real good job.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
A man's word is his bond.

Great ending. Author, thank you.

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15about 4 years ago

Superb story! Sad that Gillian couldn't get past her fears. It cost her and Caleb a lot of years with a good man.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
UGH!!

What I like about the story is your "hero's" commitment to his word! Our politicians could take a lesson from your stories!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Great story and a lesson

To the “me” generation......

Say what you mean,

Mean what you say,

Never give your word if you don’t mean it,

Earn what you want,

Always know your not entitled to anything you don’t earn,

Nobody owes you anything but the chance to prove your worth.

Follow these basic tenets and the respect your group tries to get (the wrong way I might add) will be given freely.

All your little groups that you use to intimidate and force your actions on in your cities. Where most of your victims live in fear. Don’t amount to much.

So, stay there and live your illusion. You really won’t like the cold hard reality that you will learn about if you and the rest of your entitled group try to take it out of your tame cities.

Out here if you can’t stand alone then you sure as hell can’t live here. We help our neighbors when they need it and they do the same. They don’t expect it and can handle it alone otherwise.

We watch each other’s backs and live by the law but don’t let it interfere with justice.

An old saying comes to mind when I contemplate what would happen if you came here with your anti American crap.

Cut one and we all bleed, our justice is swift and final, you will be afforded the compassion and consideration you deserve.

Buzzards got to eat and the ground doesn’t need your poison infecting it.

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15over 2 years ago

My problem here is with Gillian. Elwood had changed. She was the coward.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

C'mon, Woodman!

You used the correct name for the town (San Felipe de Austin), and even the time-frame is very close. But then you attributed it's founding to 'Sam Austin'. Really?

You would be hounded out of Texas for a gaffe like THAT!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

the best

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great story. I have a Remington New Model Army .44 caliber clone with an 8 inch barrel and 2 cylinders. 1 is in the original .44 cap and ball loading. The other is in .45 Long Colt. It shoots both just fine.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I love these type of stories, reminds me of the OLD west and playing good guys and bad guys with a six shooter. I really do appreciate the NO sex in these stories. Thank you.

Larry Collette.

DrtywrdsmithDrtywrdsmithabout 1 year ago

You spin a great western yarn!! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

OldmantruckerOldmantruckerabout 1 year ago

👍👍👍✌️👌👋

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

-Minor goof in the beginning when you called a .36 Colt "Army" vice "Navy" but corrected it later.

-There really isn't a lot of info on Remington cartridge conversions. Too bad. I've handled both Colt & Remington cap & ball revolvers; I think the Remington is FAR superior.

-RE: .52/70. Almost no easily available info on any of the .52 rimfire cartridges; I don't know if there were any centerfire .52s. I'd sure like to know the ballistics...

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Great story and really engaging chracters.

The country between Phoenix and Tucson is unbelievably brutal. Themselves I mid summer can hit 115 degrees.

The desert is dangerous as hell. Everything that walks, crawls can hurt ya or kill ya.

The desert is the devils anvil and the sun is the hammer.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userwoodmanone@woodmanone
2294 Followers
I believe age and cunning will overcome youth and enthusiasm every time. Being some what of an egomaniac I believe my stories are very interesting. Only the readers can verify or disprove that premise. Several of my stories are based on my own experience or most have a little ...