All Comments on 'Sex and the Type I Diabetic'

by dresbach

Sort by:
  • 9 Comments
Iread2relaxIread2relaxabout 11 years ago
Thank you

This was very helpful. Informative as well.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Thank you

I clicked on the article because my husband is also a diabetic and neuropathy has affected his enjoyment of sex as well.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Thanks for this

My late wife was Type I diabetic, with complications. She even tried viagra once, based on the "hey, it couldn't hurt" theory. Would give anything to hear her come again...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
thank you

I have had T1 for four and a half years now and this felt like a glimpse of my future (I keep tight control, but complications happen). It makes me hopeful that someone out there might love me the way that you do your wife. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Diseases beyond T-1 that effect nerves

Many of the same circumstances arise as well when ones partner has MS, but it helps keeping the womans mindset positive and turning off that self defense mechanism (your alarm metaphor) that comes into play with the drop in self image/confidence as well as dealing with the nerve damage and response.

athompsoathompsoabout 10 years ago
Have you tried...

As a 33-year diabetic myself, and having friends with MS who report similar issues, one thing I'd suggest you explore is electrostimulation. It's a bit over-the-top for people who aren't either a) really openminded (or just kinky), or b) desperate, but it sounds like you could be headed for scenario (b) sooner or later. Check the Wikipedia page for "Erotic electrostimulation" for a bit more info.

I'm not quite as far gone as your wife, but the deadened sensation (and, in my case, erectile dysfunction) are definitely there and I find e-stim to be a pretty awesome sensation.

mikeswivesmikeswivesover 2 years ago

Fascinating, important and funny!

Loved the insert about the aide "could only be being better" if it "came with a primer and pull cord."

Nonetheless, let me add some tangential advice.

Diabetes is profoundly misunderstood by most medical professionals. While you are on Wikipedia investigating sexual aides, try reading about the underlying mechanisms and biochemistry of diabetes. After a few hours, you will know more than your MD who basically just has a little play book on what drugs to give based on statistical analysis of symptom presentation. Type I have II different origins and I won't go into that, but I will suggest that you think about frequency of medication and detailed hour by hour blood sugar and changes based on particular food you consume. You (or your loved one) are not a statistic and you can become your own expert on one person's physiological system and know more than the doctor.

Ending this by noting that diabetes and MS and arthritis and other diseases involve inflammation which can (for many) be diminished through diet. (Cut out meat/dairy and keep fat low. Lose weight and add exercise. The neuropathy is caused or exasperated by something. Figure out what that is and the decline slows/stops/reverses.)

I can confidently say that healthy living leads to more sex! (You can still keep the wand too.)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Thanks for creating this thread, and to the commenters as welll!

Always been an 'extended release' kinda person, but now have V1 PHN and the side effects from meds give extra problems - temporary flaccidity every 10-20 min, and 3-6 hrs to climax.

6 months ago my partner gave up on sex with me (out of frustration), but looks like there may be a few more options to try!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I have type II diabetes and experience this same type of numbness . We dealt with it differently because I’m a guy. I’m unable to achieve an erection but still have some sensitivity in my glans. My dear wife graciously put aside her pleasure of penetration and accepted my oral and digital ministrations in return. She then gave me some of the best oral pleasure I have ever had. I used to cum like a foundation. Unfortunately she passed away suddenly seven years ago. It’s been a long dry spell.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userdresbach@dresbach
393 Followers
Reading between the lines - it is the curse of every writer and the duty of every reader. Erotica without porn is just tawdry fiction. Porn without erotica is just boring. My reaction to porn films is as follows: after the first ten minutes, I want to go home and screw. Afte...