All Comments on 'Spring'

by demure101

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
AngelineAngelinealmost 11 years ago
Wow~

beautiful write of a dramatic monologue with a true surprise ending. This one needs to be submitted for publication to a journal or magazine, an e-zine, maybe. Very impressive writing. "Maud" made me think of Maud Gonne, as if her ghost were inhabiting the poem.

erectus123erectus123almost 11 years ago
brilliant

work, well done

greenmountaineergreenmountaineeralmost 11 years ago

One of your best, demure. I have to believe that even "free versers" would find delight in this. It's just so well put together. I might have sought a single syllable substitution for "Maud" in line 1 stanza 3, but that's a matter of personal taste and therefore a quibble.

It reminded me of how Anthony Hecht wrote, one of my favorite poets, although he usually chose more morose themes than what is expressed here.

The last stanza has so many wonderful components. I loved the conversational quality of it, not only the second person address, but the "it's" and the "you'd." No, we don't talk in rhymes usually, but we talk with contractions. What a wonderful way to enhance the conversational tone of the poem with the understanding, of course, it's a poem, not a conversation.

The phonics of all the subtle "ts" and "st" in the last stanza give it a subliminal mystical quality that fits so well with the narrative's climax and makes me think, "Damn! I wish I had written that!"

Clearly one of your best IMO.

SweetOblivionSweetOblivionalmost 11 years ago
excellent as ever

Your "Maud" made me think Betjeman although your usage is clearly darker. S.O.

DawnJDawnJalmost 11 years ago
I love the lessons...

...and the love with which they are taught. A poignant poem for me...I hear the unsounded sighs! Well done!

KobaKobaalmost 11 years ago

A wonderful piece! Truly good!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous