All Comments on 'Finding Home: In The Beginning'

by jennyb2492

Sort by:
  • 15 Comments
kiwiplumkiwiplumalmost 11 years ago
Good one

Good idea to out this prologue in, and really I wouldn't change what you've written just to appeal to more folk. I admit I felt uncomfortable realizing she just had to submit to this crazy system without winning any little thing but hey, it's your world and you've put it together well. I'm still enjoying following it and look forward to the next chapter with interest.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Good job

Nice clear explanation of this world, yet you obviously kept back things relating directly to Liz. Excellent. We are still hungry for those particulars and will keep reading to get them.

One of the dangers of creating your own world is all of us readers judging it by our real world standards. If you ever chose to rewrite the story, this would tweak into an excellent prologue. The difficult chapters wouldn't need to change or lighten up too much if we had a clearer picture of Thomas. Bad/damaged people can do very bad things. Readers can roll with that if we have some idea why those bad things are happening to our feisty heroine. You don't need to take all the suspense out, just give us something to hang on to as you expose the whole story.

Jaw...Floor

Loki_DarksongLoki_Darksongalmost 11 years ago
Do Not Change A Thing!

Jenny, your story is going well as is. There is no need of a rewrite just to please the ramblings of a few. There are far more extreme stories here than yours. Stories that contain scenes that make what Liz has endured so far look like a walk in the park!

I suspect that the majority of complaints are coming from women who feel that, just because you are a woman, Liz should be fighting tooth and nail against her situation, plotting her escape and then liberating her fellow slaves in a final act of rebellion, that fails and she becomes a martyr.

I have seen stories like that. Many in fact. But after a while it becomes a cliché. Your story, from what I have read, is taking the "only way out is to go through" theme. I have seen various ways on how that type of scenario ends.

I look forward to seeing how yours will go. Just do not give in to the need to please everyone. It is not possible and only serves to give control of your story away.

MGU67MGU67almost 11 years ago
Please don't change anything

Thanks for the explanation of the world in which your character reside. But please don't change your story just because a few don't like it. Keep it as it is, I can't wait to read more of it.

inspector123inspector123almost 11 years ago
I agree with other commenters!

You don't need to change anything in chapters 3 and 4. This is your world and your story so you created how you want, As long as you include warnings ahead of these chapters that there are some bdsm elements that some readers might find extreme then I do not see an issue. I normally don't read stories in the bdsm category but will look for chapter 7 tonight because I am invested in Liz's journey!

pheobecharmedpheobecharmedalmost 11 years ago

i sixth the not changing a thing. your story is great the way it is :-) thanks for the prologue to the story very informative

jennyb2492jennyb2492almost 11 years agoAuthor

Thanks all. Maybe I will edit, maybe not. It would have to wait anyway until the whole darn series is posted at any rate (like 20 more chapters at least) and I might conveniently forget about it. ;-) I actually resubmitted this story this morning b/c it was supposed to be a stand-alone story, not chapter 00, and I took out the sentences about revising.

Loki_DarksongLoki_Darksongalmost 11 years ago
Why are warnings needed?

There is one thing that I need to question. Why do you need to place a warning regarding any elements that some feel are related to S&M in the first place? Many of the stories in the Non-Consent category have parts that include spankings, canings, floggings, etc. So why are people now having an issue with this in your story?

I say screw the warnings. If a spanking is forced upon an unwilling person, then it qualifies as nonconsent. People need to stop trying to shoot you down and get a grip on themselves.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Heyy

Never change your story for no one, I swear a lot people are always complaining about something if its too extreme for them then bye go read something else because I know that there are more people who enjoyed what and how you wrote chapter 3 and 4.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Dull --

and boring. And feel free to remove this comment as you're are so adept at.

jennyb2492jennyb2492almost 11 years agoAuthor
Dear nonnie

Dull, and boring, and necessary because anonymous commenters like you were so critical of the world the story was set in, as though the category "nonconsent" was supposed to have only stories that make you feel comfortable, and so I wrote it to try to give some background.

As far as removing comments, I have removed exactly ONE of all the nasty ones, and only because it was nastier than all the others. If you want to accuse me of something, get a backbone and get an account and I'll be happy to discuss it with you, and stop hiding behind anonymity.

Raisa_GreywoodRaisa_Greywoodover 10 years ago
Backstory

...can be incorporated into the main body of a story, but it IS important to set the stage - especially with an alternate reality scenario. There are those (like anonymous from 7/8) who rate poorly anything which doesn't include a money shot.

For anonymous on that date, go to the stories which include the female protagonist's measurements in the first paragraph. You'll probably find what you're looking for there.

That being said, a good editor is your friend. Even technically perfect writing can benefit from a second pair of eyes.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
anonymous

if you have nothing constructive to say just quietly go away and leave the author to entertain those that wish to give him a fair shake before giving him grief are you a writer? if not why not ? they say those that can do and those that cannot are critics .the chapter does have the line "in the beginning" its a clue that it is a scene setter I hear that enid blyton books are still in pring go read one of those then moan about it she wont care she's dead

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Great stuff!

Don't ever apologize! All three of your stories are fantastic. The heavier sections make sense and help move the story forward. No one is forcing anyone to read, especially with your helpful warnings. As for this, I found it helpful background to understand the context. With future stories this kind of information could be woven in, but there's nothing wrong with pulling it out as background either.

Keep going and don't let the haters get to you!

LovableCherryPieLovableCherryPieabout 3 years ago

Do odyssey, sanctuary and finding fire come as audiobooks as well?

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous