All Comments on 'Parents...'

by friend40

Sort by:
  • 4 Comments
LesseloovesPeterLesseloovesPeterover 10 years ago
eh...

I grew up with two parents and my dad was no example and my mom had no heart and soul. In my opinion it's not the parents who define these things in children per se, but the loving, attentive adults in children's lives. Teachers, aunts, uncles, grandparents, mentors, older siblings, coaches. I have a theory that there's a strong correlation between the succuss a child experiences in their lifetime and the number of caring, attentive, committed adults in their lives... and if, in the case of a single parent, that's one, well that's one more than some kids with two parents have.

Then, of course, there's the whole nature/nurture debate but that's even further off topic.

friend40friend40over 10 years agoAuthor
As I wrote this thought

I was looking at the Ideal we think of in the first two parts. The last was the reality, that of being the single parent of a daughter and son from preschool on. They are now 28 and 27 respectively.

I appreciate your comments as much of it is true in today's world. Thank you.

Oldbear63Oldbear63over 10 years ago
Parents

We never stop thinking about them, thanking and blaming. I consciously tried to be the "ideal" described to both my boys because my dad did not. I wonder if he ever said that.

Ashesh9Ashesh9over 10 years ago
Lesse , i had outstandin' parents but since i lived in a joint family i learned from the

Sacrificing Uncles& Aunts & cousins also : i did have outstandin' teachers , school & College Principals , professors & of course Chartered Accountants under whom i did my articleship & from whom i learnt a lot accountancy , income tax , audit plus how to be a good human being ! Thank you friend40 for writing this poem & sparking off fond remininscin' :5-ed .

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous