All Comments on 'Woman'

by Janerochester

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
CleardaynowCleardaynowabout 10 years ago
The more I read this the more I like it

The more I read this the more I like it.

It is a well constructed and evocative picture of (presumably but one can always be wrong) a woman with an irregular and not too healthy heart beat.

First time I read it, I then thought ... and so? Reading it again I feel no need of anything additional.

I look forward to reading more by you.

JanerochesterJanerochesterabout 10 years agoAuthor
thank you :)

I really appreciate the feedback

KobaKobaabout 10 years ago

This is quite good. Although it certainly could be about someone with a bad heart in the physical sense, I think there is a lot more going on. It seems to be aimed at someone without being specific who so as to apply to many. For some reason I get the sense it was written for an alcoholic mother but I may be reading way too much in. (It also has the feel of Sylvia Plath's "Daddy") But a good poem should allow for many interpretations and this one certainly does.

greenmountaineergreenmountaineerabout 10 years ago

I don't know what happened to my comment. I swear I posted it this morning. I thought the diction and enjambment were outstanding. Also, skilled use of punctuation added to the dramatic effect for me.

JanerochesterJanerochesterabout 10 years agoAuthor

Thank you all for your kind words! Also, I love that I now know that the word "enjambment" exists :)

TsothaTsothaabout 10 years ago

I really like the flow of the words in this. The drop from s1,l1 to s1,l2 ("Pressed my ear / Hard,"), from s1,l3 to s1,l4 ("hear the / Predictable,"), and the break at "Erratically" (s2,l2).

I agree with Koba below; your choice of words ("warm beat" / "sound of ice" / "hitting the edge" / "angry drunk") point toward emotional turmoil rather than a heart condition. Nicely done.

todski28todski28about 10 years ago
thanks for this poem

a multitude of interpretations, and evocative,

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous