All Comments on 'My Two Cents'

by TexasFarmBoy

Sort by:
  • 27 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
well then...

Well then, bye!!!

ILienBagbyILienBagbyalmost 10 years ago
Interesting

But, you seem to be intent on punishing those readers who do like your stories by giving in to those scanners who don't.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Don't stop

Ignore the scanners and other twits. There are still a lot of us that really enjoy this category. I vote often, and if any story is half way decent, I give it a 5. This category provokes emotion and thought and reaction - good or bad - it gets my vote, as long as the writing is good and there is some substance to it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
I've read all three essays about LW

I usually read the comments after having read the entire story, if the story appeals to me in the first place. I find the comments here to be similar to those letters to the editor that you find on the editorial page of the local newspaper. It seems the most opinionated people have the most to say and nothing anybody else says in response is going to matter one whit. The most critical people are the most steadfast in their opinions so it really doesn't matter what they say in the overall scheme of things. And, of course, if what they read doesn't appeal to their sensibilities then they are going to slam it no matter how well-written the piece was. People are free to think how they want and to speak their opinions, which is how it should be. I just wish that they could be more open-minded to what other people think--the world does not revolve around them.

SliperyRoxSliperyRoxalmost 10 years ago
Your insight, in my opinion was deserving a 5.

I've been a Lit man since ( I think ) the summer of '99.

Since I've slept a few times since then I couldn't exactly say, but am pretty sure I was living in Cedar Rapids at the time and came across an article in Time Mag that talked about the internet and opened my eyes up to the cyber world. At different periods in my life I've been pretty active in/on the Lit world, one time became pretty obsessed with several relationships in the adult pic section.

I ran into quite a few problems early on because in my naivety, I didn't keep my persona away from the hypocritical bigots, wife-beater, and child molester religious zealot types.

Consequences were among other things, costing me a job. So I became a lurker. I had enough honor I would never offer a malicious opinion or comment and hid behind the Anonymity label.

If I didn't have something good to say about some ones work I just won't finish reading what been offered and go on.

If some one criticizes you and won't own up to their criticism, just figure they are a nut case that would have been a hijacker of an airliner on 9/1/11.

You are a good author, if one the trolls bums you out too much, MOON THEM!

Hang in there,

SliperyRox

Scheherazade73Scheherazade73almost 10 years ago
Write For Yourself & Your Readers Will Appreciate It

I suppose it comes down to the types of readers you want and the type of readership you can expect here. You're going to get a lot of scanners. So many people are here for a wank (and hey, good for them!) and the caliber of literature is of no importance to them. As a fellow former English Lit major, I was confused when I first start reading stories here rated 4 stars or higher to find so many beginning with, "I'm Lexie and I have long blonde hair, 32C boobs, and long legs." *sigh* So much for "show, don't tell."

My most popular story is an experiment with incest that I never finished because I got sick of it. I started out writing it because the Muse spoke to me, and initially I had great fun with the characters. Then it got popular, and I started getting feedback and emails about it. I did the worst thing I could've ever done, which was write for the audience. And the story quickly went to shit.

At this point, nearly two years later, I honestly don't care who reads my stories here. I don't mind if they don't rate them. I don't mind if they leave rude feedback (which they always do anonymously). I have never deleted a comment, and I don't feel the need to justify my work. It's here to love or lump. I stopped worrying after I started hating my own story because I was receiving emails that made me feel like I might wind up like the author in Misery if I didn't give the slobbering masses what they want.

All that being said, every once in a while I get a really lovely comment or email, and I do appreciate those. They are few & far between, but they're worth more to me because they usually speak of a particular way a story has resonated with them. I like to think when I put a story out that those readers will be back, and they'll enjoy what I've done next. And the same is true of you & your work.

You didn't ask, but if you had I'd tell you to forget the spreadsheets & expend that energy writing the stories that demand to be told. And them categorize them however the hell you want to.

BobNbobbiBobNbobbialmost 10 years ago
Interesting discussion

The first story I published here was in Novels and Novellas, sixteen posts and several types of activity made the choice a no brainer. I also posted one to Romance and I have always wondered if I might have received more reads and exposure in LW. I thought it was a pretty good story that no one read. The rest of my posts have been in LW with the exception of a recent throw away story that was to CD/TG. I think the statistical stuff Texas (Yeeeee Haaaawww Cowboy) is probably close to right. I have never tried to do the same sort of tracking but the trend of scores rising over time is generally upheld in my experience. As to comments by readers they are pretty easy to filter. Up or Down doesn't matter to me as long as they seem to raise serious points relevant to the story. Those commenters that I hold in silent contempt are the ones who write that they scored and made comment without reading the material. That is fairly common in the LW category for some reason. I don't always give a score or a comment; if the story calls for one I do. My rule that I have only violated one time over the years is that if I do not read the whole story I do not give a score and do not comment. That seems intellectually honest to my way of thinking.

pezzheaddazzlerpezzheaddazzlerover 9 years ago
Ratings and continue writing

One issue I have with the APP (which I use the most) votes don't take all the time and no place to put comments in.

Keep writing in LW use the scores throw out the high and low average the middle numbers for the real score.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Your analysis

I do not question your analysis. It is very close to what SusanJillParker came up,with. I don't think the stats you find disappointing are a reason to stop posting LW stories, just write what you personally like to,write.

George in Omaha

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Your stories are excellent

I came across your page after seeing a story line that intrigued me. When that happens I always check out the writer. Then, as with you, if I like the talent, I read all the submissions until I have read everything from that author. I am a fan of your writing. I like the character development and the plots. Keep up the good work!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
interesting

Rate and comment...authors favorite 3 words. I rarely comment unless its a great read. I try to rate every story I read unless I can't give it a 3 star rating at least. Bad editing may draw criticism from me tho I don't drop rating for it. I recall one author had a great story but the errors in editing drove me bonkers. It's a shame some commenters don't know the difference between constructive criticism and negativity. Keep up the good work!

OldmarriedtarOldmarriedtarabout 9 years ago
Why I some times scan.

I am a college math tutor. I got a good grade in composition. I got a passing grade in Eng. Lit. I have Know Idea if what you wrote is good, bad or indifferent. I am good at finding the facts in a math word problem and rejecting the rest. When you spend time on some important Lit concept thus delaying me in getting to the next important step in the plot, I scan.

Instead of blaming the reader of this, that or anything, do your research and learn the demographics of your potential readers. Then write the story to fit. Now for those authors who like to show off by using your superior vocabulary, which turns me off.

try solving a 5 tiered complex fraction without using a calculator. Now that will impress me!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Interesting

I hate to say it, but I am one of the readers that reads a story and seldom makes a comment or scores a story. I am currently reading yours from the first story down and have enjoyed all I have read so far. I think you are a good writer and I will continue to read all you write. I can't remember my login and password, so will have to post as anonymous.

jackh1962jackh1962over 8 years ago
My two cents worth.

There are all kinds of readers here so it is impossible to make them all happy. Many of them have short attention spans it seems like so they want a quick one pager, for myself, I like the longer more developed stories. Some will say a story is too long to read in one sitting, but there are a couple of solutions for that too. You can either remember where you left off and come back to it later or just leave it sitting there and return to it later There is always going to be those that think that they know better than the writers what is a good story, never mind that they can barely write well enough to leave poorly written comments about how bad they believe a story is. Now and then I will sometimes point out something that I believe is a mistake, sometimes I'm correct sometimes not, but I tend to make more comments directed at the self proclaimed Lit. critics that seem to have nothing better to do than tear down what someone else has done. Sometimes there are real causes for the critics to say what they do, but too often it is mostly bullshit, just someone spouting off for no real reason other than they can. I have a good solution for those that don't like what they are reading, Stop and then go find something else. Don't go calling some one names, telling the writer that they can't write for 2 cents, that all of their stories are the same or any other of the stupid things they like to say. Anyhow that's my two cents

DawnJDawnJover 8 years ago
Your Voice

I haven't as yet read many of your stories, but I'm sure I will eventually read them all. What strikes me about them is your voice. Reading you is like listening to you talk...and I have never met you in person, and only very recently 'met' you here. Your voice is captivating, which for me makes everything you write something I want to read. And that you take the time to develop character, to compose interesting, humorous, real dialogue, and to address real life issues, only makes your voice here more appealing to me.

How you choose to label what you write is of little interest to me. Obviously, we differ in that regard. As the author, you MUST concern yourself with labels, if you intend to appeal to a wider audience. As the reader, I'm only interested in what you have to say. These are not mutually exclusive activities...for which I am grateful. So, whatever you do, however you choose to label it, keep on keeping on!

Evil52Evil52about 6 years ago
True

I agree! I have enjoyed all of your stories.

tangledweedtangledweedabout 5 years ago
LW is too toxic for any writer with expectations of fair treatment.

I have long been fascinated with LW category and can readily believe your statistical results. I wonder how much it would vary based on the author's style; whether straying from marriage vows is accepted, reconciled or nuked from space?

There seems to be contingents on both sides of the RAAC and BTB debate who will vote according to their preferred result, more than the actual quality of the story. The differing percentages of those opposing factions could cancel each other out or could be a major factor on the eventual score.

The author in this case is clearly a very thoughtful individual and sensitive to how his work is received, which is something to be lauded in a lot of business and life areas, but not something conducive to participating in the civil warfare of Loving Wives. It is unfortunate that we readers of that category are deprived of some good author's works because of that crossfire, but it is certainly understandable why they want to avoid it.

We can and will find good stories in the other categories, so we can accept your decision is right for you. Just keep writing the good stuff and we will be there to support you.

OliverKlohzophOliverKlohzophalmost 5 years ago
Thank you

I vote often, but rarely comment. That being said, please remember that there are many of us in the faceless masses that truly appreciate a well crafted literary work. I'm not a writer, but I appreciate all of the work that goes into these creations. Thank you for every effort, especially since it is purely for the enjoyment of others and not for any kind of personal gain.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Well put

I differ from most of your reader because I am, and have been, a proofreader. I have been retired for over 10 years, but some old habits die very slowly. I did a fair bit of technical writing during my career so I respect and appreciate the work that goes into writing meaningful work, be it technical or entertainment.

I agree that in certain genres the bias of the reader may have a larger influence on the given score than the quality of the work. I have seen some poorly written stories that have gotten good scores and well written stories that got low scores because of an unpopular ending.

But.......keep writing because us critical readers still enjoy a well written, edited, and proofread story. You, obviously, write some the better stuff because of your better-than-average scores.

detroitdave

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Always a Pleasure

I cannot say that you will find other places to post, but I can say that what you are coming up against is less important than finding a cadre of readers. To be sure many of your regular readers, like myself, are anonomous. Yet you could send out messages to your follower to interrupt the early trashing of your work, and you know that there are a body of readers who have appreciated you style as well as your more varied content.

If you have somewhere to post that will allow me my anonymity, please update your profile and i might try to follow. Regardless, thank you for your creativity and thought.

rickydean56rickydean56about 4 years ago
LW

FYI. I never read anything in LW. If I see a writer has over half their stories in that category then I don’t bother to read any of their submissions. I probably read 20 stories a day and it is getting harder and harder to find anything worth reading. You are a breath of fresh air for me, thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Don’t change

I read a story once by an author with sex as an innate part of the plot. He read the Reader comments and rewrote the story with the sex greatly watered down. It stank and I was so disappointed. The writer Must stay true to his story and to him/her self. Thank you for you tales and I hope you keep on writing. As for LW, If It were me I would see it as a challenge. Most readers forget that you are writing erotic fiction, even if some of it is based on personal experience. It Is Still Fiction as far as we can see.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one

Funny, your 2014 comment here says you won't write any more Loving Wives stories, but looking at your list of submissions, there are four LW stories, your first in 2013, then your two cents essay in 2014 and another LW a month after, plus two more.

I have been read Literotica for something like 20 years, give or take a year or so, can't remember when I started reading stories on here. I read because I like reading and the stories are both enjoyable (for the most part) as well as informative. I can place myself in fictional situations and think how I would act/react and then do the same again to another similar but different story with different "results." There is also information about things that I have had no experience with that can be entertaining, informative or illuminating to me.

I like lots of different types of stories and the type of story has no bearing on whether I like it or not, it is the story itself that determines whether I like it or not. For me, I usually give five stars to stories I like, with ZERO regard to spelling, punctuation, grammar or most anything else. However, I do have to be able to understand the story, so if characters change names, or crap happens that has no bearing to the story or it is difficult to follow the story, then I either give it a single star or just abandon reading it any more.

I've read most of your stories TFB and I've enjoyed them. I will get to them all eventually and I do rate most of them as an anonymous reader as I've never created an account here. Perhaps one day I might create an account, I've got a few ideas for stories running around in my head and I've even looked to see if a particular account name exists that I would be using.

Thanks for writing, I do appreciate it.

rRC

drycreeksdrycreeksalmost 3 years ago

I read tons of stories here. I read daily slot. I always read the whole story unless it just totally disgusts me. Then I try to read all of that writer's stories. I vote on every story I read that has. The voting blocks. Have to say what I really hate n pisses me off the most is a story left in finished. So pls finished the story of joy Lynn n her beau pls

PostBobPostBobover 2 years ago

My compliments, I’ve read about two thirds of your stories and really like your style!

ChopinesqueChopinesqueabout 2 years ago

Your approach is thoughtful! The data on Literotica stories could be (perhaps it is!) mined for all sorts of reasons. Research possibilities could be unlimited.

WillowghbyWillowghby10 months ago
I Strongly Disagree

...to TFB's observation that, "a cursory scan and a bad review is almost a slap in the face." There is no "ALMOST" about it. I am not supportive of anyone who demonstrates the absolute lack of intellectual integrity such an action represents. I equate that very low level of mental honesty to the idiot that gets all his political views from the talking heads at either CNN or FoxNews. Fercrissakes, USE the brain which separates us from the apes.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous