All Comments on 'The Songbird'

by Kezza67

Sort by:
  • 83 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Wonderful!

I started reading and couldn't stop! It's 4:20 in the morning and the alarm is set for 6:30 and I am glad I spent the time to enjoy your work.

Thank You!

Alan

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Absolutely Fantastic

I saw this story and started to read it. I couldn't stop. It was a GREAT story. I loved the characters and themes. Thank you for a finely crafted story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Worth waiting for

I'm so glad to see another of your stories! Excellent as always.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Great

Another wonderful story!

Boyd Percy

ariesgirlariesgirlalmost 10 years ago

I agree with Cate and Ellie. Sending a wedding photo to Roger would be brilliant. He is such a jerk to talk negative about Ellie's dad.

AeroielAeroielalmost 10 years ago
Down Memory Lane

A wonderful, well written story.

The Swing and Big Band Era was in my parents generation (WW2) and into the early 50s. My dad was a Yank, & a WW2 vet in the Pacific Theater, so was never stationed in England. My entire childhood growing up, my parents played the LP vinyl records on the Victrola of all of the great bands and singers of the 30s & 40s era. They had an extensive colection of records and wore them all out playing them. The memories of the songs playing and my folks singing along are some of my best/fondest memories as I now approach my 70s.

Every song title you mentioned in your story I could hear the tune in my head as I read them.

To quote Bob Hope's theme song "Thanks for the Memories"

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Bravo!

Well done! Very well done, indeed!!

kjohns2001kjohns2001almost 10 years ago
Sheer perfection!

My God how I would love to have a full length book of this! Sheer perfection indeed! You managed to hit the perfect mix of back story, interpersonal relationships and, of course, romance. Dreamy to die for romance, the very best kind of all in my opinion. Please, do consider doing a full length book version of this lovely story. I rather suspect that if you do you will have publishers falling over themselves trying to grab hold of it. It always amazes me how many authors here have failed to realize the market for quality romance that places like Amazon.com have opened up, especially for self published authors. The best thing is that it has also opened up traditional publishers to being much more willing to go after new authors. I honestly feel that a full length version of this could be a best seller, it has that special magic that raises something above the ordinary. At least give the story, and yourself, the consideration to think seriously on it. I'm now off to see what other literary gems you have to offer your fans, a position I'm quite eager and happy to join. Have a wonderful day, and thank you for making mine by giving me the opportunity to enjoy this marvelous tale!

connoisseur29connoisseur29almost 10 years ago
*****+

Thank you very much. A nice story. Just enough sex innuendo to make it romantically interesting. Ah yes, Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, all the big bands references brought back pleasant music memories. Cheers!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Thank You

Very enjoyable read. Reminds me that a good story doesn't need all the overt sexual descriptions. It's so much better when the reader gets to use his or her imagination. Thank you for this.

GentleVikingGentleVikingalmost 10 years ago
Just perfect

As always your stories have the perfect balance between sex, romance and a believable story line.

I cannot thank you enough for sharing you talent with us mere mortals.

semjastrosemjastroalmost 10 years ago
Outstanding

Thanks for such a lovely and gentle story!

I'd sure enjoy talking to Kat and Jack about music. And Jack's house in the country is where I want to live.

Thanks for creating such engaging characters and giving them such an elegant love story.

bobt2928bobt2928almost 10 years ago
Great read, thank you

If I could have I would have rated this with six stars, again thank you from an old soul.

coloradoexilecoloradoexilealmost 10 years ago
Nice to see you writing again!

Once again, a sweet, well written soon to be classic.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
TERRIFIC!!!!

What a lovely story. You sure hit the bullseye on this one!!!

My parents were both in the RAAF in WW2, my dad over in Britain. He loved the music of Victor Sylvester, but I've always preferred Glenn Miller. Amazingly I've just seen only about 2 weeks ago the Glenn Miller Band on their Australian Tour for 2014. Music, dancing & singing like you wouldn't believe.

Thanks again for a wonderful story. Now I'll have to check out what else you've written.

Nutty.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Fabulous

One of the best in this category that I have ever read here. Sorry for the anon input but I do not remember my login for this site as I rarely comment. Your story is the first in ages I felt really deserved a good rating so it's 5 stars. Thank you for the story.

calgarycamperscalgarycampersalmost 10 years ago
OH MY

The imagery of the story was fantastic. I could picture myself right there. I was deeply moved by the reference to the Yanks in WW2.

I will eagerly be wanting to read more of your works.

teedeedubteedeedubalmost 10 years ago
As always

Fantastic.....

Past_RegretsPast_Regretsover 9 years ago
WOW

One of the finest I have read. Thank you for writing it. Keep up the good work.

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 9 years ago
Just great =somply great

It was a joy to read and travel the road with them -

Again you add the details to make it real to the reader so we get invested in the steps and stages they go through and want it to end right.

You pretty consistently get it right too LOL.

A pleasure to read and a joy to the mind when you think through what is happening.

Rhsc1Rhsc1over 9 years ago
I have read

Most of your stories and I am amazed at how varied and well written they are. I plan on, and look forward to, reading those remaining. So far as I am concerned, each is a 5 plus. I noticed you haven't submitted anything yet this year. I do hope you continue to contribute...you are, clearly, one of the best authors on this site. Thank you for sharing.

GeorgeInOmahaGeorgeInOmahaover 9 years ago
What a fine author

I find it just amazing that story after story you write are equally well crafted and surpurbly enjoyable.

SultrychocolatesistaSultrychocolatesistaover 9 years ago
Loved It!

Can't believe I just found this today. You sneaked this one in on me. Forever your fan.

K

cernunoscernunosover 9 years ago
Thank you

All I can say is THANK YOU. Enjoyed it thoroughly and did not want it to end.

RemmyqqriRemmyqqriover 9 years ago
Fantastic!

No need to make apologies for your writing style! Story was fantastic!

You left plenty to the imagination, which is all that is needed!

Sid0604Sid0604about 9 years ago
Thoroughly enjoyable reading...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this marvellous story. Thankyou so much for sharing it with us.

burningloveburningloveabout 9 years ago
Made Me Emotional!

My hats off to a fine author and story!

I can imagine that this happened and two found love by accident!

Great story-telling and I enjoyed the story written from both sides of the main characters.

calflashcalflashabout 9 years ago
wonderful

what a wonderful love story of two people from different worlds. Thanks for the contribution.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
"You do something to me" (Frank Sinatra 1960)

The story was almost perfect but lost ground toward the end when the couple ended up in bed together for the first time. For me, the lack of old fashioned courtship spoiled your story but not enough to turn me off. I would really have loved reading about their courtship. As they indulged in old fashioned foreplay where the bountiful pleasure is carefully unwrapped by each partners fondling and caresses. Maybe it is just me, but I do like the unwrapping part of the courtship to reveal the joys a beautiful lady presents.

rightbankrightbankalmost 9 years ago
a warm fuzzy, uplifting, and romantic story

of two very different people who find a way to become better as a couple than as individuals alone, yet maintain their strengths.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Instant fan!

I found this story to be a great read. I like the intelligent vocabulary that you don't usually see from most other writers as well, but the most defining factor for me is the numerous artists and titles of the "crooner" era that you dropped in. I must admit, a couple more have been added to my own collection as a result. A good writer needs inspiration from what they know or have seen from what I have gathered, (I don't posess the talent to write) but I definitely need to read more of your stories seen from your unique point of view.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Another instant fan

Such a lovely, gentle story with delightful characters and without all the acrobatic sexual exploits of someone's fevered imagination.

I now intend to savor all the rest of your stories one by one.

Thank you.

photolvrphotolvralmost 9 years ago
Thank you!

Please publish this story for Kindle. It is my second most favorite story, only exceded by Abby.

SeekerOfTruthSeekerOfTruthalmost 9 years ago
but what about stardust?

Other than that, fantastic!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Great story!

intelligent writing combined with a wonderful story, this is a must read!

rightbankrightbankover 8 years ago
what a wonderful love story

and a great cast of characters.

A marvelous travelogue of the UK. I was tempted to log on to google earth for an overview of the hills and dales.

the intelligent use of language was a big plus as well.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago

Your story is fabulous

Great story line

And a perfect ending

In my tribe in Africa. We would say ibu dimpka

rightbankrightbankover 8 years ago
I had to come back for another read through

it was even better this time.

ta

SirBigfootSirBigfootover 8 years ago
2nd time

2nd time thru it, just as good if not better than the first. You have real talent.

green117green117over 8 years ago
Nice bit -

A bit slow.

I felt like you were channeling Georgette Heyer, a bit.

YMMV

Green-something

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
WONDERFUL

I would simply just say amazing. twise I had tears in my eyes. I am called many things but never ....................................., being a guy i can never advertise that i like romance stories but this story here is special to me. absolutely wonderful job kessa67.

billybardbillybardabout 8 years ago
Five stars--twice

Absolutely wonderful.

I so enjoyed the references to some wonderful old songs and melodies.

Brought many fond memories of the too-soon lost past.

Cheers.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Beautiful.......

What a lovely story. Thank you

J_RReaderJ_RReaderabout 8 years ago
Verry romantic

i enjoyed reading.

PercySledgePercySledgealmost 8 years ago
Beautiful, beautiful story!

I sincerely like your style of language and the kind of soft and understated way you let the conversation between them carry on.

Please continue writing! You have a gift!

TheOldRomanticTheOldRomanticover 7 years ago
Fantastic!

I really liked this story.

Sweet and lovely tale, full of feelings and good music.

Great, Great Job.

5* for you.

Waiting for more stories like this.

I apologize for my English, is not my native language.

banjoman88banjoman88over 7 years ago

This story had me captivated from the beginning. The old songs that I remember so well (I have about 500 78's from the 20's and 30's) and a lot of them are British bands. Too bad Al Bowlly died so young in a 1941 air raid. I think that you could do another chapter bringing in some of the British bands and IMHO one of the best was Ted Heath!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
I too remember them.

I cannot think of a more appropriate (American, but so am I) word to use than "Wow" for such a lovely, enchanting, thoroughly deliciously narrated story as this one about Jack and Cate.

I am a child of the 40's and need no introduction to all of the tunes mentioned in this wonderful story. I played guitar in an 8 piece stage band for 2 years and came to appreciate the songs even more than as a child before 1950. A 1989 move to another city prompted me to enter the venue of music played and recorded by the big bands and am a (rather) accomplished jazz guitarist with 1,000+ tunes in my head, with help from my childhood memories of course.

I played "Moonlight Serenade" many times over and a tear still appears in my eye even from reading the title as you so generously spoke of it in the story. It was our last song of the evening gigs.

Thank you, and I can't say it enough for that wonderful trip backwards and return.

Of course, it must go without saying that your expertise and knowledge of Jazz is nonpareil. I salute you, sir. As a well known Englishman once sang, "Thanks For The Memories."

OvercriticalOvercriticalabout 7 years ago
Real Romance

This story fit the category perfectly. Romance with all its attendant difficulties and characters who are somewhat idealized, but still quite believable. This is my second reading of the story, but it didn't lose a thing this time around. A real plot, real characters and a gentle ride to a very satisfactory ending. A 5* performance, of course, and something to base future fantasies on. Thank you.

pe1erpe1erabout 7 years ago
You certainly know your way round England

You certainly know your way round England, even the remote country districts, as well as the Cities!

Even after living in Derby for over 28 years, I still don't know my way round Hulland Ward as closely as you obviously do, and in other stories you've demonstrated a close knowledge of other parts of the country. I find that these accurate descriptions of the settings add greatly to my enjoyment of your stories.

Your references to the Assembly Rooms and Ramada Hotel in Derby date the setting of this story to within a six year window, as the Ramada opened in 2008, and the Assembly Rooms were closed following a fire in 2014, just after you published the story.

The_PedantThe_Pedantabout 7 years ago
It swung!

A delight to read. Good story, good flow, good grammar - what more could one ask?

DieAlteRomantischeDieAlteRomantischealmost 7 years ago
S'wonderful S'marvelous

Thank you for believing in the power of love and for bringing us memories of such great music. Hoagy Carmichels's matchless "Stardust" is indeed challenging, but the lyrics so clearly demonstrate the superior appeal of poetry to degenerate doggerel. The unchallenged appeal of "Stardust" is evident in that terrible man's (Frankie's) version that consisted of just the intro.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Still One of the Best

It's been a couple of years since I read it, but this is still, without a doubt, one of the best stories I have read here on Lit. I wonder if the author has given any thought to a sequel. It could be interesting. 5 Stars, unconditionally.

ukdukeukdukeover 6 years ago
Very nice!

Enjoyed this gentle romance very much. Mature love, makes me think there may yet be hope for me!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
One of the most interesting short stories I have read

Fantastic

Lord_Dane81Lord_Dane81over 6 years ago
Simply a great story...

I've read this story many times and, as the title says, this is simply a great story. I will admit to being quite an Anglophile, so a well-written, charming, enjoyable story set in England will get me every time and this is one of the best I've found. Great work Kezza!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
☆☆☆☆☆

my favourite romance story on this site

I read it thrice every year yet I don't know how but it gets better for me with every new re read.

AnnaValley11AnnaValley11over 5 years ago
Superb storytelling = 5 stars

Great story, super characters and remarkably realistic locations.

All in all, a wonderful piece of writing

Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Nostalgic

Lovely story. Althogh I've lived in California since 1968, I lived in Upminster from 1942-48 and made a few trips to Southend (and Clacton and Frinton) myself. I'm remain astonished by the breadth and depth of your knowledge.

cybojicybojiabout 5 years ago
That

Was apleasure to read. Bet it was fun to write. Fantastic job.10

charlie48charlie48almost 5 years ago
British love story

I know the areas you referenced in London and the Peak District, thank you for a superb story and based in England with no Americanisms or faulty grammar.

OlgreyfoxOlgreyfoxover 4 years ago
Wonderful love story

I can't even begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this story. Talk about reminiscing way back memories`. I was born in 1947 and was raised listening to the big band swing and jazz. Glenn, Artie, etc. Also the crooners, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Perry Como, Bing Crosby etc. We had (and I still have) wind up Victrola's, and wind up Edison cylinder players then later some of the older electric record players. I still have all those old records and play trough them regularly. Some are pretty scratched up now. So thank you very much for jerking me back to the yesteryear of my youth, I quite enjoyed it. Mom and dad would dance to these tunes and taught me and my siblings how to dance to swing. They would clear the living room and push all the furniture back against the walls and dance away. In my time the kids went to the Granges with all the parents and have these big potluck dinner get-togethers and when the dinner was done and everything cleared away the dancing began. Parents, kids, teens, everybody would swing. Great time for all an a great way to be raised. So thanks again, this story even brought a mist to my old eyes, very very well done. BTW I am a Yank :>))

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Very good

It was a very good story . The character building , narration and story telling was excellent . Thanks for sharing !

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Amazing!

Seldom have I had the opportunity to read such incredible writing. Reference to music of the Glen Miller era and the American attitude towards WWII were insightful. The romance and its presentation from two P.O.V.s were enchanting and heartwarming. The presentation of the love scenes were perfect in relation to the story line. Thank you for giving an entertaining gift. K

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Still great!!

Back for thirds or maybe fourths.....I really appreciate your writing and frequently return to your page for a pick me up. Great style, great descriptive writing.... just wish you had another story or two to share with us. Thanks for posting here.... Happy Holidays to you!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Fantastic story

Wonderful story 👌👌👌👌👌 I am very glad to have read the story. It is definitely a 5 star rating for your story. Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Grabbed Attention

Loved this.... been ghosting the romance section for months for a good one.... finally stumbled onto this in a roundabout way.

Loved the story.

Excellent plot

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Wonderful romantic and beautiful story. Definitely a 5 star ⭐🌟⭐🌟⭐🌟⭐🌟⭐🌟 ratings. Thank you for your lovely story.

Ali Singapore

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Wish I could give it 10 stars. Thank you for such a lovely story

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This beautiful tale is deserving of the highest accolade. Too many superlatives to describe the way you unfolded this romance. A standing ovation, a respectful bow, vigorous toast to your ability. Your style was so beautiful that my mind had no trouble visualizing the scenes in detail, masterful storytelling, really...!

Tonyusmc3051Tonyusmc3051over 2 years ago

I listened to this story while playing my Xbox, it was amazing and funny at times. I like that he was not starstruck as we know it. A man that had common sense and patience. Thank you for sharing.

Richard1940Richard1940over 2 years ago

stela (noun) - an upright stone slab or column typically bearing a commemorative inscription or relief design, often serving as a gravestone.

A wonderful tale of two different worlds colliding and forming a ew system. 5*s

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Very well done, really enjoyed it from beginning to end. Loved that it showed how they grew together.

PurplefizzPurplefizzalmost 2 years ago

Loved it! Surprising to read a story with so many local references to me, living as I do on the Tendring peninsula, Frinton (inside the gates) hasn’t changed much in the last 50yrs - I think there’s a bylaw against it somewhere! Such a pleasant change to read something with an unashamed British flavour, the characters, language and narrative “feel” right, I can only assume first hand knowledge on the part of the author? The details re Americans in WW2 are on the money too, young guys stationed on airbases etc miles from anywhere with limited life expectancy live for the day, not the future, same with the girls they chased, their brothers and father’s were off somewhere unknown, and rationing was very hard on people, so it’s easy to see how so many became GI brides etc.

Many thanks for writing and posting, cheers Ppfzz.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Amazing. Masterful story-telling indeed, with a host of nuances to the dialogue and storyline!

Well done!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

True love presented in a special way by an amazing author.

Thanks,

The Hoary Cleric

OU8ME2ICOU8ME2ICover 1 year ago

Simply sublime! Thank you for writing such a beautiful love story. -Cheers

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Very very well done! Thank you

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

A well-rounded, well ballanced story, not to short (as many other), not to long - just perfect !

Love it !

Thank you !

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

One of my favorite stories. I've read it several times and will be back to read it again.

LMJ

OlgreyfoxOlgreyfox6 months ago

This is my third time reading this outstanding story. Can you tell that I LOVE this tale? Well YEAH!! What's not to like? I commented on this story about 4 yrs ago and it brought back deep and loving memories about my younger years. BTW there is another story on Lit that runs in the same vein as this story, Dinsmore wrote it and it is also a great read. " She had it all", so if you get the time give it a read I believe you will enjoy. Thank you once again Kezza67 and KUDOS!

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman4 months ago

Very good story, although it could have been a page shorter with no loss. I liked Mist of Time better but this is good also. Thanks.

Ravey19Ravey19about 2 months ago

Why haven't I come across you before? A great story and easily worth 5.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous