All Comments on 'Eve's Choice'

by Spencerfiction

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
chytownchytownover 9 years ago
Fun Read****

Thanks for sharing.

BelgiumBelgiumover 9 years ago

Very nice story!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Nice story

But if I read it correctly, why would the Mother of the Bride be trying to catch the bridal bouquet unless she and Alan were divorced? It's usually the single ladies that line up to catch the bouquet. Unless things are different in England? And you mentioned earlier in the story that "Mummy" stayed away from the church so Alan could give her away. So I assume that Mummy and Alan were divorced. That cast a pallor over an otherwise clever story.

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionabout 9 years agoAuthor
Indeed, Anonymous

The Mother of the Bride is divorced and rather acrimoniously, hence was absent from the church for the ceremony, although she was in Eve's room with her chief bridesmaid while she was getting changed out of her bridal gown and into her trousseau. I needed this circumstance for the early line "notable exception" as a red herring that Eve was deceiving a partner. I envisage the Mother giving her ex-husband the space to enjoy his daughter's special day, but as the bride was departing the scene, with eyes only for her groom, the Mother was freed from her agreed or self-imposed exile. In the end the Mother could not resist catching the bouquet and engage her ex in conversation, as a hint to the reader that she still holds a candle for him and would like to be his bride once more.

OverthefallsOverthefallsabout 9 years ago
Clearly a wedding within the first few paragraphs

And after reading the cute story and the author's comments there remain a few questions. Such as why the ex-wife would feel it necessary not to be at the church for the wedding? It seems to me that if the divorce was THAT acrimonious then she might have been excluded completely. But since she wasn't why would she catch the bridal bouquet? The author's answer doesn't ring true. Especially given the famous British "reserve". If there were hard feelings, Mom goes to the wedding, doesn't sit next to the Father at either the wedding or the reception and they don't speak. Easily done. I would think that since the Father DOESN'T speak to or touch her after she catches the bouquet she would have her answer. He doesn't WANT to see or speak to her. The hard feelings are clearly still in his mind. End of story. Unless the author puts forth a second chapter. But this seems over and done with. They go their separate ways, no romance to be rekindled. The end.

10sguy10sguyover 2 years ago
Huh?

I still have no idea what the story was supposed to be about. Weird!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userSpencerfiction@Spencerfiction
977 Followers
An old printer, typesetter, proofreader, local politician and activist. I write for pleasure only, an untrained writer too set in his ways to change or learn. I have courted and been wedded to the same impossible angel for over four decades, so I am an unremitted romantic. If ...