Am I coming or cumming?

pinklipstick

Really Experienced
Is the word "cum" actually a legitimate word, or has it become the erotic slang of "come"? And what really is the past-tense of either?

So is it:

You come. I come.
She comes. He comes.
We are all coming together.
Except for Johny who ??????? yesterday.

or:

You cum. I cum.
She cums. He cums.
We are all cumming together.
Except for Johny who ??????? yesterday.

Inquiring minds need to know.

pinklipstick said:
Is the word "cum" actually a legitimate word, or has it become the erotic slang of "come"? And what really is the past-tense of either?

"Cum" or "Cumming" is a slang spelling generally used in erotic fiction. Since it's a slang spelling of the verb "to come," I don't believe there is any stanadardized slang version of the past tense -- I've seen "cummed" used but it sounds stupid.

I recommend "CAME" -- the correct past tense for the verb -- whether you're using it as slang for an orgasm or in it's correct grammatical sense.

Total Agreement

I agree with weird harold, cum, cumming, came. Its all the same.
(I know, poor stab at humor)

When I hear the word "come", I think of someone moving from one area to another...like walking.

Like: Here he comes.

Or: He said he'll be coming over around 5.

To me, the slang term "cum" makes me think of orgasms and/or ejaculation. But, I do agree with WH and Curious that "came" seems to be the most appropriate past tense for "both" words.

I agree that "cummed" sounds ignorant and childish.

~Puppi
:kiss:

Hey puppi, why don't you COME on over. Later we could tell everybody we came together.:D
I would never say we "cummed" together either.:p
:rose: :devil: :rose:

coming or cumming

I plead guilty to everything except "cummed". On that I agree with Harold, sounds pretty stupid.

I guess I would rather use "cum" as a euphemism for the product of ejaculation, as in "Her breasts were spattered with his cum." "I'm coming" as opposed to "I'm cumming" looks a bit more elegant IMHO.

Probably the only rule would be consistency thoughout a story and avoid "cummed" at all costs.

Re: coming or cumming

Axeltheswede said:
"I'm coming" as opposed to "I'm cumming" looks a bit more elegant IMHO.

Probably the only rule would be consistency thoughout a story and avoid "cummed" at all costs.

If you're a NEOM offender, then "Cumming" is easier to "draw out" in writing -- "I'm Cuuuuuuuuuummmmming" instead of "Coooooommmming."

I think that just might be the reason "cum" is so often used as a verb as well as a noun. ;)

I always figured that "I'm coming..." is short for "I'm coming to orgasm." So I usually spell it "I'm coming..."

I've also seen "cum" used as slang for semen or female ejaculate. I'm not aware of a less clinical term that doesn't sound ridiculous like "love juice" or something. Some people just say "sperm"--which, while technically inaccurate is no worse than peope referring to a vulva as a vagina, I suppose.

I guess whatever gets the point across is okay by me.

useless bit of trivia

In Japanese, when announcing your impending orgasm you shout, "I'm going!"

To which many a confused foreign partner has no doubt replied, "What?! Not yet!!"

I accept "cum, cumming, came" as the standards within erotica.

"Cum", from the Latin, means "with, or combined with", which is a nice little poetic touch. However rare simultaneous orgasms are, we live in hope.

Come, come!

In 1970 the skinhead pop group Slade had a huge no.1 hit with "Cum on feel the noise." All my eleven-year old skinhead friends would make themselves hysterical with laughter everytime a teacher said "CUM here", or "If you misbehave you won't be CUMMING with the class on the field trip". Of couse the teachers didn't understand why this was so hysterical!

John Lennon's 1971 song "Come together" was surely a deliberate play on words.

I use "come" in my stories. "Cum" as a verb, and even as a noun, sounds really juvenile to me, probably because it reminds me of all those 11-year-old skinheads giggling in class.

The way I'd like to die is to come and go simultaneously.

The only word sillier than "cum" for me is "pre-cum". I feel a small lump of pre-vomit rising in my throat when I see it. Completely unerotic to me, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
"Cum" is a legitimate word, and I wouldn't even call it slang. My guess is that if you were to have a conversation with someone from medieval England, "cum" would be one of those Anglo-Saxon words where you would understand each other perfectly, even if so many of the other words were different. Kind of like "cock", "fuck" and "cunt". Good, solid Anglo-Saxon words that suffer the double problem being stigmatized by a Norman invasion of French speaking nobility and prudish Victorian dictionaries. But I like them.

"Come", meaning have an orgasm, dates from the mid 19th century. "Cum" dates from the 1960's.

"Cunt", you're correct, is Old English, its etymology is obscure.

"Cock": Common by 16th - 17th century: Eariest known written use: Nathaniel Fields, Amends for Ladies: 'O man, what art thou whn thy cock is up?' 1618

"Fuck" was common in the 16th century, and was used by Shakespeare.

Last edited:
I suddenly feel as if my English education was deprived. Where do you guys pick up all these tidbits?

So it looks like it's pretty much up to my discretion to use either come or cum. I guess the characters would make that decision.

Thanks for all the info!

pink, I use a Historical Slang dictionary. It tells you a lot about when people started using slang words, and makes for a great read on the Crapper (From THomas Crapper, inventor of the flush toilet).

I'd say cumming rather than coming. I think come is a bit too ambivalent. Never ever use cummed as that just sounds awful. I think came is probably right as past tense of both.

The Earl

coming or cumming

I have to agree with Josh Greifer. "Pre-cum" is overused and abused in a lot of erotic writing. Some writers use it as an indication of male arousal like, "his cock was dripping with pre-cum" or something like that. Reality is something different. Anything more than a drop, or at most two, would indicate something seriously wrong with the guy's plumbing. A drooling cock needs the services of a urologist rather than a hot session of sex.

Re: coming or cumming

Axeltheswede said:
I have to agree with Josh Greifer. "Pre-cum" is overused and abused in a lot of erotic writing. Some writers use it as an indication of male arousal like, "his cock was dripping with pre-cum" or something like that. Reality is something different. Anything more than a drop, or at most two, would indicate something seriously wrong with the guy's plumbing. A drooling cock needs the services of a urologist rather than a hot session of sex.

You can't be too much of a literalist about this kind of stuff. Only 0.1% of the male population has cocks that are 9 inches or longer, according to Kinsey. Yet, everywhere you go in the story section, or chat, there are monster cocks right and left, in the stories written by the women as much as the men. Besides, pre-cum (at least before stimulation) is a sign of major league arousal, way past the just get stiff part. I have less of a problem hearing a cock dripping with pre-cum, then hearing about yet another fantasy 10 or 11 or 12 incher... (yawn)

Axel, your post made me laugh out loud! (Not something that happens to me a lot, I might add).

takingchances42 said:
"Cum" is a legitimate word, and I wouldn't even call it slang. My guess is that if you were to have a conversation with someone from medieval England, "cum" would be one of those Anglo-Saxon words where you would understand each other perfectly, even if so many of the other words were different. Kind of like "cock", "fuck" and "cunt". Good, solid Anglo-Saxon words that suffer the double problem being stigmatized by a Norman invasion of French speaking nobility and prudish Victorian dictionaries. But I like them.

My sources say the "cum" was first recorded in 1923 as a "nominalization" of the verb "to come".
"Fuck" may have come from the German "ficken" or the French "foutre," and may have all sprung from the Latin "futuo" - and all mean the same thing. First appeared in print in 1503 in a poem by the Scottish poet William Dunbar.
"Shit" would happily be understood by an Anglo-Saxon peasant of the 10thC, along with "tits" and "fart"!
"Cunt" was a reletivly harmless word and Chaucer dropped it casually and frequently in The Cantabury Tales" as "queynte", "queinte" and even "kent".
Sorry - just thought I would show that I can do it to... I promise to get a life tomorrow.

'Fuck' is a variation of 'Fok' from Old Nordic (Swedish dialect) meaning erection.

'Cunt' is Old English, yes. There was a street named after some man with a name like Cunt and on that street there were hookers. The word derived from that. (Like crap coming from Mr Crapper Esq.)

Most swear words are Anglo-Saxon in origin. But seeing as how the Angles, Saxons and Jutes came from what is now Denmark and Germany, the root is Old Germanic.

Actually, there are very few anglo-saxon words left, but the ones that have survived are among the most used in English.

I generally use the word "cum" when referring to someone who is having an orgasm or is approaching an orgasm so the reader isn't confused with the verb "to come." I don't use it very much because I prefer the word "orgasm" better.

Cum, cumming, came for erotic use.

Come, coming, came for movement.

Pre-cum is as good a name as any - prostatic fluid is a bit too clinical for me.

Context, of course, is everything. As long as your reader understands, why spend a lot of time worrying about it? The goal is to create the image in the reader's mind. If one works better for you, use it.

Until it show's up in Webster's, American Heritage and the Oxford English Dictionary, without a label saying it's slang, it's up to the individual.

I am voting for "cummed". If it was socially acceptable, I'd also use "comed" instead of "came" because I loathe irregular verbs.:)

I suspect

One should put on hospital whites and protective gloves to handle prostatic fluid...or maybe just use the tongue.

Last edited:
Smegma

I feel sorry for smegma -- it gets a really raw deal in erotica.
That's all I wanted to say -- I guess I'll be off now.

Back