sex and religion

sweetnpetite

Intellectual snob
How do your religious or spiritual beliefs effect how you feel about sex? does anyone feel guilty about being on this site? does anyone actually *enjoy* the guilt factor? (rebelling ex-catholic school girls, preachers daughters anyone?)

I'm not an overly religious person, so being here and writing what I do doesn't really effect me. Now, I have friends who are very religious, and would give me the third degree if they ever found out about this part of my life. I've also had a couple of unfortunate situations on the dating scene. Dated a couple of guys who were very religious, and when I told them that I do this for fun, they never called again. But then, some religious guys are a little strange that way.

thank you pink orchid, that was a wonderful well thought out response. Very interesting perpective.

Hi chele, as always you also have good things to say. Hope this thread gets some more replys.

I too am spiritual. In general I think god is more conserned with us being good to each other than wheater or not we masterbate. But as I surfed these boards, I saw so many people who would just pop in to say, I only read the topic and you people are sick, sick sick, and it prompted me to ask the question.

I love the idea of people who are spiritual and sexual. I used to be repressed- both religiously and sexually. I am now a free thinker, and I'm not afraid of getting struck by lightning for my dirty thoughts.:)

that's ok

oh, I don't really care if you answer the questions, I just put them there to jump start the discussion. But thanks for comming back to do it!

Another Litster checking in.......
Yes, I am strong in my faith, and no.... I have no guilt about the person I am. It is my belief that God made me, so therefore how can I be bad??? Yes; I am a sexual person, and yes; I do serf Lit. Does that make me bad??! I think Not! I treat others as I wish to be treated and..... I follow the last commandment that Christ made. So what if I act upon the "talents" that I was endowed with?? I hurt no one, and I am true to myself and honour my creator by doing so!

-kym- being the person I was created to be, and doing a damned fine job too!

*smiles* I totally agree with MY-Sir's-k-, although i'm not as religious. I believe that God made the universe, good and bad. This is what is natural for me, and if that is wrong, then it is God that is perverse, not me. I like sex, and i like that there are places like this where sex is discussed openly. Even if i tried to ignore or repress my sexual feelings, i couldn't, and i'd just be hurting myself. I try to have fun with my partners, and ensure that no-one gets hurt, so how could it be immoral?

I'm pretty young for this site (20) and quite a few of my friends are virgins, so i love that i can share my thoughts about sex with other people, without being expected to feel guilty. Amongst my friends, most are virgins, or have only had one partner - their SO. So, it's great that there's a place where people don't care that i've had half a dozen partners, or that i've had one night stands, etc. *warm fuzzy moment for fellow lit's*

That said, i wouldn't neccessarily admit to other people IRL that i'm a member here, b/c i doubt a lot of the people i know would understand. I don't feel guilty about it, but i'd rather not be told that i *should* feel guilty about it, if you know what i mean.

Hmm... i've rambled a bit there... but you (hopefully) get my point.
K

I'm a pagan
So for me sex is part of my religious beliefs, incorporated as part of the natural world & cycles of the Gods & Goddesses I follow
I recognize that much of the negativity & unhealthiness assosciated with sex & sexuality arises from "traditional", usually Judeo-Christian religions (which includes Islam), which adds to my disagreements with those faiths
I tend to be very open about my beliefs
Which gets me in trouble a lot :D
But I am not ashamed or embarrased about anything I do
I won't share it in certain forums where it's unwelcome or innapropriate (around kids, on the job, etc) but won't shy away if asked
A co-worker actually recognized me from Lit once and asked if I was me (so to speak). I simply said "Yes" and walked away...I had nothing to be ashamed of.
If God were going tp punish me, I'm sure S/He could come up with better reasons than me being here talking about sex :D

James G 5 said:
I'm a pagan ... If God were going tp punish me, I'm sure S/He could come up with better reasons than me being here talking about sex :D
*just points* What He said. And then some.

sweetnpetite said:
How do your religious or spiritual beliefs effect how you feel about sex? does anyone feel guilty about being on this site? does anyone actually *enjoy* the guilt factor? (rebelling ex-catholic school girls, preachers daughters anyone?)

Being as I don't know whether my beliefs are more Buddhist, Catholic or Pagan right now, I will say that it doesn't matter (what my spirituality is). The answer for me would be the same. Sex for me is a bond between two persons, and if I'm not going to enjoy it, I usually won't do it. Guilt comes in if I'm doing something not true to my feelings and not being at peace with myself.

I'm learning (still) to embrace my sexuality. The consequences of sex? Well, I'm a mother and take responsibility for my actions.

I'm reform Jewish, and really sex doesnt bother me at all. For me, its just for fun or for kids. Nothing more. I think it all depends on your religion, and a person in general.

I have a friend who is a devout conservative catholic, he is one of the horniest guys I know. Unlike most guys my age, he is waiting to marry and settle down before he loses his virginity...so he'll be waiting a while.

I know this wierd kid too. Hes a stalker, probably horny as hell. Hes Protestant, but doesnt show any desire to have sex....most likely he is impitent...but he prefers to live in some surreal world of kissing and sexual fantasies. According to his religion, he says, sex is bad....

But thats my 2 cents

I've never felt guilty about being a sexual being. God made us this way to experience it ALL! Besides I've often wondered if sex were to be sinful, why did God make it so pleasurable??

I have faith in God & not the silly insitutions that man has twisted them to be.

Part of the package

Most of us construct our own religion instead of buying one off the shelf. We take what works for us. So, there are horny masturbating Catholics and pork eating Jews and everything in between. Most of us got a little repression along the way. For my money, a good sexual relationship gives you a safe place to let go and discover your sexual being and grow and build a rewarding intimacy. There is very little more satisfying that building that sexual dynamic for the benefit of two people who have each other's pleasure and happiness uppermost in their mind. I don't think we need feel guilty if we have great hot sex right before or after we attend church services. Those two things should not be incompatible.

Dr. Steve

Gods and Goddesses want us ...

...to do it and enjoy it and every time we do it it is some sort of a homage (..i hope that is a right word..) to them.

A man or a woman who gets enough of fucking..oral or any kind.. is always better looking, confident and a go-getter. Gods want us to be that way.

I am very religious and pray that I get my dose of sex every day and I do.

I'm a Christian, and it was hard for me to come to grips with the sexual side of my life, mostly because I'm so sexually charged.

But, I feel very much the same way that Pinkorchid does...

Another point to be made... at the time the Bible was written, "virgin" meant young, unmarried girl, it wasn't as confining as our definition.

Also, the Romans were horny beasts. The Roman soldiers fucked each other because women were "distractions". The Roman "uppercrust" slept with family members (for procreation purposes) to keep their "line" pure. If we were all living in that time, we'd have our marriages arranged, be married no later than 15 and when our husbands died we'd marry their next of kin.

I feel like God wants his people to procreate, this is why sex is so pleasurable. He also wants us to love and sex is a way of espressing love.

Honestly, I'm not sure about how God feels about MY sexuality(and frankly what He thinks about anyone else's is none of my concern)... I've looked in the Bible for answers and I have seen the passages about sexual immorality, and staying pure until marriage... but what is "sexual immorality" in the eyes of God? and staying pure until marriage... well see above... I loved Pinkorchids words, "married by 13 dead by 30"... that would mean in about 6 months they'd be having my funeral.

Ok so that was rather wishy washy... and a non answer, but it's truly how I feel. It seems if sex was really so bad biblically speaking the boundaries would be more clear... Besides all through the Bible there are many Godly people who took more than one lover/ wife whatever...

Abraham had Sarah... and the maid
Solomon had many concubines
Samson succumbed to Delilah
David had an affair with Bathsheba and then offed her hubby
And who was it whose daughters slept with him to ensure the family line??

And in each of these situations the sex, wasn't the main focus... but the outcome. What happened after?
Abraham's tryst started a whole new nation
Solomon... well Solomon is a good example of a bad man
Samson's story illustrates what perserverance will do for you
and David's son ended up rebuilding the temple.

So I babble on and still no better understanding... this is what happens when I think about sexuality and religion together... It also says in the Bible not to withhold ANYTHING from your spouse... I feel like God would have sent me a spouse by now if I was truly being so horrible.

I'm Jewish.........and I consider myself to be a 'shikseh',
known in Yiddish as a "wild Jewish girl"......'nuff said :D

:rose:
tigerjen

Lust Engine said:
I've never felt guilty about being a sexual being. God made us this way to experience it ALL! Besides I've often wondered if sex were to be sinful, why did God make it so pleasurable??

I have faith in God & not the silly insitutions that man has twisted them to be.

Just now checking back in. I can always tell when I've been on Lit after drinking wine, I get philosophical. :rolleyes:

As always, Lust E. has stated truth. Why would God make sex to be sinful??? :confused:

Bravo Lust E. for your outlook. It ain't rocket science now, is it??

-kym- enjoying my twisted ways. :p

I'd also like to think that my God is the same god you worship. We just happen to worship differently but neither one is wrong or better. Is my God any different than yours?? I hope not & would like to believe that one's belief isn't superior or more right than another's.

I'd like to think that after we're all said & done here on this plane, we move off to a different place & can have something even better than sex (such a tough concept to grasp at times!) with Jews, Muslims, Catholics, Atheists, Wiccans, Lutherans, Mormons, etc. etc....

-all with God's approval too!

Wow... did I actually say something better than sex? It's almost unfathomabale for this poor mortal mind to comprehend! But I'm hopeful!

(ever the optimist, aren't I?):rolleyes:

MY-Sir's-k- said:
Another Litster checking in.......
Yes, I am strong in my faith, and no.... I have no guilt about the person I am. It is my belief that God made me, so therefore how can I be bad??? Yes; I am a sexual person, and yes; I do serf Lit. Does that make me bad??! I think Not! I treat others as I wish to be treated and..... I follow the last commandment that Christ made. So what if I act upon the "talents" that I was endowed with?? I hurt no one, and I am true to myself and honour my creator by doing so!

-kym- being the person I was created to be, and doing a damned fine job too!

Well put. That being said, does your religion (my-sir and all) have any bearing on beliefs about certain aspects of sex. (ie, swinging, non-consent stories, gay or lesbian, non-human, ect) and does it affect any level of judgemental feeling toward those who are interested those things that you don't believe in. (My feeling is that most of you are probably pretty open minded, but you know the old cliche "I'm a little kinky, the rest of you guys are sick fucks!")

ANd last, what is taboo for you, and is it realated to religion or something else?

Re: Gods and Goddesses want us ...

HealthisWealth said:
[B.
I am very religious and pray that I get my dose of sex every day and I do. [/B]

I'll have to try that!

Lust Engine said:

I have felt guilty in the past, but I've come to believe that pleasure was built into us FOR our survival. The main reason for everything anybody does is to avoid pain and/or feel pleasure. Its why we eat, hug, achieve, accomplish, and yes have sex. Has anyone ever noticed that ALL of the things we need for survival are pleasurable? Even hard work gives you a wonderful feelling of accomplishment and an endorphan rush!

If sex wasn't pleasurable, it would just be gross, and no-body would do it.:) think about when you where a kid and you first heard of sex and you thought "ewww, why would anyone do that?" the only reason -- becuase it feels good! If it didn't feel good, we might do it out of "duty" but nobody would have more than one kid! After going threw the pain of labor, what would make you want to go through that again if there was no pleasure? [unless of course woman where property and had no choice in the matter- but is that getting us back to where we started?????]

So in conclusion, pleasure is the MOST important part of sex. Its manditory! It perpetuates the species. It it doesn't replace our "biological imperitive" -- it drives it. EnJoy....

sweetnpetite said:
Well put. That being said, does your religion (my-sir and all) have any bearing on beliefs about certain aspects of sex. (ie, swinging, non-consent stories, gay or lesbian, non-human, ect) and does it affect any level of judgemental feeling toward those who are interested those things that you don't believe in.

ANd last, what is taboo for you, and is it realated to religion or something else?

First allow me to say that what I believe in is practical Christianity. In other words, its bringing the positive teachings of Christ into daily living. And no, what others do isn't for me to judge. I have friends of every differnent background and lifestyle. I love them unconditionaly for the person they are. Not what I percieve them to be/ or should be.

Those things that are hard limits for me are more of the personal nature.

Please accept my apologies for any typing errors I may have here. MY-Master has me distracted. :p

-kym- signing off to obey her Master's command :devil:

Back