Nuva ring... anyone try it yet?

Valcorie

dreamer
I just started the Nuva ring for birth control. It is the small ring you put inside for three weeks and it slowly releases estogen into your body instead of the patch. I guess it is suposed to be more effective than the pill because it basicaly eliminates human error. No more forgetting the pill. Has any one else tried this?

My doctor said it should be undetectable during sex, or it can be taken out for up to 3 hours at a time. Has anyone tested this?

Thanks for the input!

valcorie
:)

Let me know how it works out. I've done some research on it and it sounds good, but I couldn't find anything from people who have actually used it.

Shannon

I've been looking into the ring, I'm on the patch so I'd be interested in hearing about some people's experiences and likes and dislikes as well
~Kiss~

My daughter (18) has been using it for 2 months. She loves it! This from a girl who could not take the pill - it made her crazy (just like me when I was younger) Its a relief to have her on something so easy to use and no problems forgetting to take it. I was concerned it would be a problem cuz her bf is very - ah - large. But she says its wonderful.

Nuva ring so far...

So far I just love it! I can't even tell it's there. I havn't tried it with sex, but it is so small I don't think it would be a problem.

Do you use it for three weeks then not for a week or can you leave it for longer and skip a few periods? I know you can do that with the pill, and that's basically all Seasonale is (the three month pill).

Shannon

It is designed to be in for three and out for one while you have your period. It does say that you are safe leaving it in four weeks, but your chances of having it be effective go way down after 5 weeks. I think if you just changed to a new ring after four weeks, you would avoid having a period and not have to worry about conceiving. However, I have no idea if there are any side effects to doing that. The booklet they gave me didn't have any info on risks for that either. I would assume it would be the same as taking the pill and not letting yourself have a period, or being on the depo shot.

did any of you have weird side effects from wearing it for three weeks?

That is what freaks me out...

My daughter (who is picky and would say something right away) says you can't even tell its there. At first she was removing it and rinsing it off all the time (I think like you the thought kinda freaked her out) But now she's used to it.

Antibiotics?

I know antibiotics interfere with regular birth control pills. Do you know whether they also interfere with this ring or the patch?

I would think so, it's the same hormones, you just take them a different way.

Shannon

Ya know I read the whole brochure but cannot remember about antiboitics??? I'm pretty sure they have a web site.

I tried the ring. Within a few hours of putting it in I got very ill and had an extremlely high fever. It got so bad I called the ER to see if I should go in, and after asking me some questions they discovered I was using the ring. They told me to take it out, and I did, and I was better within a few hours. I don't know why, and my gynocologist doesn't know why either, it might have been a weird reaction. But I am not going to risk trying it again, it was a horrible experience.

Antibiotics

The reason why the pill is effected by antibiotics is because they cause diahrrea (sp?) and vomiting. If you have these two side effects, there is a chance your body did not absorb the hormones in the pill (since you swallow them) before they had a chance to work. The same rule applies with a violent flu (use a condom).

When I was on depo and the patch, the doc told me antibiotics would not effect them, due to the above information.

Unless he's a total crack---if anyone else has other info on this, it would be appreciated.

The Patch did not work for me (not enough hormones). Doe the ring have higher levels than the Patch???

I don't think vomiting and diarrhea are what causes the pill to be ineffective with antibiotics. I think it has something to do with the interaction of the hormones and the antibiotics. I have taken antibiotics for things that had no real prospects for either of those two outcomes (possible infections from 2nd and 3rd degree burns and sinus infections) and each time I was warned not to rely on the pill. Since the patch and the Depo shot also rely on hormones, I'd be very cautious about mixing it with antibiotics. Most doctors don't read all of the literature before they prescribe things. You are much better off asking your pharmacist about possible drug interactions. That's her/his job.

glynndah said:
I don't think vomiting and diarrhea are what causes the pill to be ineffective with antibiotics. I think it has something to do with the interaction of the hormones and the antibiotics. I have taken antibiotics for things that had no real prospects for either of those two outcomes (possible infections from 2nd and 3rd degree burns and sinus infections) and each time I was warned not to rely on the pill. Since the patch and the Depo shot also rely on hormones, I'd be very cautious about mixing it with antibiotics. Most doctors don't read all of the literature before they prescribe things. You are much better off asking your pharmacist about possible drug interactions. That's her/his job.

No---the ANTIBIOTICS often cause vomiting or diahrrea.

As I said, my doctor might have been on crack.

DarkMuse said:
The reason why the pill is effected by antibiotics is because they cause diahrrea (sp?) and vomiting. If you have these two side effects, there is a chance your body did not absorb the hormones in the pill (since you swallow them) before they had a chance to work. The same rule applies with a violent flu (use a condom).

When I was on depo and the patch, the doc told me antibiotics would not effect them, due to the above information.

Unless he's a total crack---if anyone else has other info on this, it would be appreciated.

The Patch did not work for me (not enough hormones). Doe the ring have higher levels than the Patch???

"Some antibiotics make it hard for your body to absorb the hormones in your birth control pills. Other antibiotics make your body get rid of the hormones faster. If either happens, the lower levels of hormones in your body may allow you to get pregnant when you do not want to." From http://www.bchealthguide.org/healthfiles/hfile38d.pdf

If the Patch wasn't effective for you, have you tried different brands of the Pill? The fact that the hormones are delivered differently may very well make it more effective, even if it's a type that's a lower dose than the Patch. By the same token, the NuvaRing may work for you because it's more localized and a different delivery system. So, even if it's a lower dose of hormones than some pills or the Patch, it could very well work fine for you.

the Nuva Ring.
a small ring inserted in to the vaginal cavity that releases hormones directly into the uterus. this can be the easyest form of birthcontrol out there as well as the quickest acting (since effecting the uterus directly)

clinical studies have shown that this is Not AS effective as the Pill (the pill being 99.9% and the ring being 63.4%(still under lots of critical testing for this number)) as well as having more Serious side effects than the pill or patch.

the Nuva ring releases High amounts of specific hormones directly into the uterus and overies. thus giving it a desirable birth control effect, but also making it more risky. Those that are allergic to the said hormones released will become deathly ill and if normal birth control makes you sick, this will 10 fold.

this has to be taken out every couple of months so that your body will induce a period for the high hormonal levels (which stop egg release) may make the body deathly sick if continualy used over a period of 4 months with no period. (your body wants to make the egg's and get your pregnate, if you dont do this continualy, your body will hurt you... littraly)

from what ive read, this is much safer and easyer to do than the pill, but also has higher risks of side effects since your dealing with a whole hellva lot more hormones, and it being released into a very sensitive area prone to infection.

the women that use it like it because they 1, dont have an evedent birth control thing for the world to see, and 2, they dont have to remember every morning to take a little pill.

edit.
oh another really serious warning (im not sure if they tell you this) But if your pregnate or think you are, Do not even Touch the thing. the extreamly high hormonal levels can be tranfused through the skin, and these hormones can cause serious birth defects if applyed during the first and second trimester. (some studies have shown that this can actualy change the sexual orintation of the baby from male to female- often causing birthdefects much like pesudo hermaphodites.)

Last edited:
quoll said:
Sheesh what a mine field of info there is, and so much conflicting info.
This site seems to have a reasonable amount of info on it.

Medications.com

and this one on antibiotics
Medical News Today

yeah, that first site shows extended use of it...

i really wouldnt recommend it for any usage longer than 2-3 months. if you dont wanna get pregnate for a few years get on depo. that is a 100% birth control method that has a projected usage stage of 2 years. maximum of about 4

Pyro Paul said:
the Nuva Ring.
a small ring inserted in to the vaginal cavity that releases hormones directly into the uterus. this can be the easyest form of birthcontrol out there as well as the quickest acting (since effecting the uterus directly)

clinical studies have shown that this is Not AS effective as the Pill (the pill being 99.9% and the ring being 63.4%(still under lots of critical testing for this number)) as well as having more Serious side effects than the pill or patch.

the Nuva ring releases High amounts of specific hormones directly into the uterus and overies. thus giving it a desirable birth control effect, but also making it more risky. Those that are allergic to the said hormones released will become deathly ill and if normal birth control makes you sick, this will 10 fold.

this has to be taken out every couple of months so that your body will induce a period for the high hormonal levels (which stop egg release) may make the body deathly sick if continualy used over a period of 4 months with no period. (your body wants to make the egg's and get your pregnate, if you dont do this continualy, your body will hurt you... littraly)

from what ive read, this is much safer and easyer to do than the pill, but also has higher risks of side effects since your dealing with a whole hellva lot more hormones, and it being released into a very sensitive area prone to infection.

the women that use it like it because they 1, dont have an evedent birth control thing for the world to see, and 2, they dont have to remember every morning to take a little pill.

edit.
oh another really serious warning (im not sure if they tell you this) But if your pregnate or think you are, Do not even Touch the thing. the extreamly high hormonal levels can be tranfused through the skin, and these hormones can cause serious birth defects if applyed during the first and second trimester. (some studies have shown that this can actualy change the sexual orintation of the baby from male to female- often causing birthdefects much like pesudo hermaphodites.)

Hey Paul, where's your information coming from? Could you provide the links to all of those statistics and statements please? Some of the things you're saying even conflict with the manufacturer's directions.

My girl friend has been considering the ring because of the problems she has had with taking the pill. When she talked to the DR. about doing this she was told that she was likly to have the same sort of reactions to the ring.

What other options are out there that dont need to be handled daily. Monthly is alot safer.

My fiance has an IUD it blocks the passage so you cant get pregnant It doesnt have any effect on your hormones and stays in for pretty much as long as you want and can be taken out by a doctor when you are ready to get pregnant, or whatever, the good thing, as stated before, is no effect on your monthly program, it is, i believe, the best choice, oh btw, shes had it in for two and a half years with ZERO problems, to me, and most importantly her, it is the only option

I'm on Nuva Ring and have been for the past three months. I love it so far. I can't feel it and unlike with the patch I haven't had any side effects. And from all the information I have it has the same percentage of effectiveness as the pill. Which is 99.9%.

I haven't had a chance to test it out during sex yet, but I imagine neither of us would feel it.

Also, I talked to my Dr. thoroughly about the ring before I went on it and he said nothing about it being dangerous. Actually, he wouldn't let me go on Seasonale over the Ring, because of health reasons.

Thats all the input I can give. :)

i get all my stuff of NSHLS reports and private clinical studies. i had sex ed and we went over them extensively for alot of crap, its a shame... i acctualy learned something there... (curses school) and all reports have conflicting reasons behind them because each clinic studies them against a different back ground. though the manufacturer says it is 99.9% effective, the clinical trial they used was a 3 month health services solicited trial.

NSHLS and private clinics do trials longer than that (up to and including years) and also show the tapering effect all birth control systems have. also, the clinical trials i was forced to read through has a diffrent definition of 'effective' than that of standard health clinics. (effective: % of those that are successful opposed to % of those not successful reguardless of circimstances) (health clinic definition of effective: % of success against the % of failure.)

an example of this is the Depo shot. the clinical study was done for a 6 month trial, during the trail it was almost 100% effective, had little side effects and was pretty much safe. a Private clinic group then did a test of depo for 5 years, it showed that after 3 years of continued useage that the depo shot acctualy starts to hurt the body and change the chemical/hormonal make up.

the study i read through showed that the nuva ring has high % of extream side effects which caused users to stop prematurely, thusly failing the test, which was then programed into the % of effectivness.

of course then again, i should also mention that the pill in the same clinical study has 100% effectiveness and condoms are 80% effective.

unfortunatly, i can not find most of the NSHLS(not that i can even spell the aberviation of it correctly) on the web. if i could, id basicly just post a huge link to it saying read this huge report for all your answers!

Now, i know i sound like im spouting a bunch of malarky, and if you choose to dismiss it as mear false hood, go ahead. the only research that counts is yours any ways.

Back