Painful Nipples?

Ms_Lilith

Retired
Ladies, this seems like an odd question, but I have to ask.

Today, I went swimming at a local lake. When I got home, I changed out of my wet things, and put dry clothes on. I got a bit chilled, and got hard nipples.. which rarely happens when I'm cold.

But then they stayed hard, and kept getting harder, and it was excruciatingly painful. Like, it hurt to have a bra on, it felt like they were burning, it was so painful. So I took them out of my bra, and massaged them, thinking that the blood might have been pooling in the nipples. The pain went away, and then came back, and then went away, and they're semi-sore right now.

Have you ever had that? What is the problem? How do I fix it?

Im seriously concerned. This has also happened when I fall asleep on my stomach, with a hand under my breast.

I have large breasts (DD) and sometimes my nipples get sore if I don't wear a bra for a day. I think it's the rubbing of my clothes that makes them hurt.

Other than that, the only other times my nipples were painfully sensitive like that were when I was pregnant. Eek, hope that doesn't freak you out.:(

I also have a friend when it was menstrual time or she was pregnant ... they were very sensitive and most times painful. Sorry Babygirl.

I'm not pregnant or menstruating for the same reason: I'm on the shot. And honey and I use condoms when we make love, to be doubly sure.

But I have had menstrual symptoms this month. *grumble* Maybe I'm having a ghost period.

vixenshe said:
I'm not pregnant or menstruating for the same reason: I'm on the shot. And honey and I use condoms when we make love, to be doubly sure.

But I have had menstrual symptoms this month. *grumble* Maybe I'm having a ghost period.

"Ghost period" is what it sounds like. If you weren't on the shot I'd say it was time. But even with the shot you will get the symptoms of your period.

I hope they aren't too painful, but I have to add I love the fact that my nipples have gotten more sensitive over the years.

Goodness, I'm glad to hear that it's not just me, as I was getting a little freaked out. I had been out in cool rainy weather with my bf, and when we went into the restaurant, wand warmed up, my nipples started to really hurt. I mouthed across the table to him that my nipples were really sore, and he thought that I was saying that I was horny. Granted, I was, but wasn't about to do anything about that until we got back home.

my nipples hurt when wet and cold as well. I can't offer you any reason, maybe they're trying to act like testicles and take shelter inside our warm bosoms...they're like "OH GOD IT"S FUCKING COLD HELP US" and our breasts are like "YOU ARE ALREADY PART OF ME - GET ME WARM BY TEARING YOURSELVES OFF!"

G'day :)

Not being a female, I'm sure my advice/suggestion is somewhat useless.. but here goes anyway..

I would suggest that if you've been out in the cold, your nipples swell with blood (closer to the surface of the skin), to keep them warm.
That blood is obviously going to go cold within your nipples if subjected to cold weather.

Going off tangent here, but if you've ever been playing with snow... with freezing hands and try and warm them up too quickly.... LOADS of pain. Now multiply that pain with the sensitivity of your nipples.. ouch.

Basically I am suggesting that the capilliaries in your nipples are slightly freezing and causing some prolonged discomfort when warming back up again. I can only imagine that they would continue to hurt awhile longer from being so sensitive initially.

I'm no doctor, but my $0.05 anyway.

Cheers
Silver

I suffer from inverted nipples and when they both get hard at the same time especially if i'm walking up the street they HURT like hell too...

*BUMP*

Okay. So about the painful nipples. I've had them MANY times since then, and I have them again right now.

I don't know what it is, but I've been perfectly warm all day, and now, out of the blue, I get these hard nipples, which are massively painful. Usually, massaging the nipples works, but this isn't helping right now, and they're turning purple, with the very tips being white.

ANY suggestions?

Please PLEASE help if you can, this is agony!

I didn’t have a lot of time but I did a little searching this morning for what you described. Most of what I found was about nipple pain and breast-feeding. Other than stating the obvious “See your doctor”, the only thing I can offer is the following URL:

http://www.medhelp.org/perl6/BreastCancer/wwwboard.html

They answer any breast health related questions. You may find your symptoms in an existing thread. If not, you can start your own. I hope you’re able to find some answers!

I'm no girl but I know that men can have similar problems.
For example a lot of soccer players or other sports people tape their nipples because they get sore by rubbing against the special cloth of the jersey. I'd say it's a rare reaction to rubbing on a certain type of clothing. Maybe it could also be a small alergic reaction towards something in the clothes or something the nipples came in contact with. So it's nothing unusual but I know it can be very annyoing.
Maybe some sort of ointment should help. Or stay away from the clothing you wore. Or maybe consult a doctor since I'm just a dog. Lol. :)

Snoopy

When I am cold it happens to me where it is really, really painful, but after some time it will go away, but never have I worried about it.

Id suggest trying a warm heating pad, its likely that you are either ovulating "ghost" or other wise, or you are going through the process of what would normally be your period time.

Your ducts are overly sensitive at this time due to the fact they are trying to figure out -"Do I go to work today or just keep hanging around?"

I would use the heating pad to releave some of the 'pain' as well it wouldnt hurt to take some of the over the counter period meds to offset the hormonal discomfort.

I too am not a Dr. I just have many many years of experience with very very sensitive breasts.

Good luck,
Cealy
ps, if it continues to hurt very badly, contact your dr to get a referal to a female ob/gyn

Vixenshe, how long have you been on the shot? I know that when I switched to another type of birth control pill last year, my nipples got hard, and stayed hard for over a month. It was painful and uncomfortable, and at the end of it I had to put little bandages on them to keep them from chafing against my bra cups.

I hope that this clears up for you soon, if not, I'd suggest talking to your doctor about it.

SunnyGirl said:
Vixenshe, how long have you been on the shot? I know that when I switched to another type of birth control pill last year, my nipples got hard, and stayed hard for over a month. It was painful and uncomfortable, and at the end of it I had to put little bandages on them to keep them from chafing against my bra cups.

I hope that this clears up for you soon, if not, I'd suggest talking to your doctor about it.

I've been on the shot 2 years now, and this has been happening off and on since last summer... so I'm not quite sure what it is...

I had the pain all through the night, and they're still overly sensitive right now.

*grumble*

The only time this happened to me was when I was pregnant. I know you say you can't be pregnant, but what would it hurt to go buy a test at the drug store just to be sure?

Also not a Dr. , however you mentioned that the tips get white while the body is engorged. This would tend to indicate that an infection or alergy reaction is present. You did say you were swimming in a lake. All lakes have various contaminants that could be the cause.

See a doctor

Last edited:
BirdsWife said:
The only time this happened to me was when I was pregnant. I know you say you can't be pregnant, but what would it hurt to go buy a test at the drug store just to be sure?

Did a test about a week ago, and nothing. And I've had this pain many times before that...

The_old_man said:
Also not a Dr. , however you mentioned that the tips get white while the body is engorged. This would tend to indicate that an infection or alergy reaction is present. You did say you were swimming in a lake. All lakes have various contaminants that could be the cause.

See a doctor

I was swimming in a lake in the summertime. I resurrected this thread because I've had continual troubles with it since then.

It's like, 9 or 10 months since that first post... I'm not pregnant. I don't think I have an infection (the various bouts of antibiotics I've been on in the interim should have helped if I did), and if it keeps up, I'm just going to have to see my stupid doc.

*sigh*

Raynaud's syndrome? It's circulatory. Not generally dangerous but uncomfortable and annoying. Try googling it. More commonly affects fingers. Do your fingertips get cold easily, turn white?

Sounds like the circulation is affected by something. I've gotten something like that when I'm nursing from a clogged nipple.

well I know you're not breastfeeding Vix, but this does sound an awful lot like what happens when nursing mothers get a clogged duct, and when babies first start nursing.
It is possible to have an infected duct in your breast even if you're not breastfeeding so you may want to have your OBGYN check you out.
In the interim however I would offer up some comfort measures that work for nursing women.
Heat applied to the breast will help sooth the discomfort. A heating pad works well, or if you want something a bit more portable for about $10 in the baby section of most Walmart, Target etc.. you can find Johnson and Johnson re-useable breast heating pads. They slip inside the bra and surround the nipple and if they are put in the microwave for about 40 secs they heat up and stay warm for a good bit. They can also be put in the freezer to cool if you find heat doesn't work. The nice thing about these is that they can travel with you and they really do work.
If the nipples themselves are chaffed and or very sore to the touch Lansinoh nipple cream will help with that as well.

Good luck hun.

APPLY HEAT

I get the exact same thing, mostly when I get cold. Sometimes I don't feel cold, but my nipples are. :confused: God, sometimes it hurts so bad I think I need painkillers!

My best solution is to lay on your back and apply some heat...you can use a heating pad or fill a sock with a little white rice and pop it in the microwave. If you make two thin "rice-socks", you can insert them in your bra so they stay put until the pain subsides.

I would say lots of things -but many have said it before me, try hot compresses - baths or go see a doctor - it won't hurt to go - and get a physical at the same time - it never hurts to be cautious - you only have one body - you need to take care of it.:rose:
Good luck! :)

Back