translation please

Black Tulip

Not so delicate flower
I know there is a thread called dictionary-something-something but that is way to educated for me.

I am having serious, sleep losing trouble with a certain type of newspeak. :(

I think I can follow most posts but it is starting to bother the hell out of me that I don't know what the following means:

LOL

IMO

IMHO

AAMOF

:confused:

I'm sure there must be more. Feel free to add, with an explanation please. Don't make me FVD. (feel very dowdy) :D

LOL = laugh out loud

IMO = in my opinion

IMHO = in my humble opinion

AAMOF = an ass-monkey on fire (no, I have no idea.)

LOL = Laughing out loud.
(ROTFLMAO = Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off.)
AAMOF = As a matter of fact.
IANAL = I am not a lawyer.
IANAD = " a doctor.
These are listed several places. Google "acronym."
BTW = By the way.
IIRC = If I recall correctly. (Or If I remember correctly.)

Last edited:
Black Tulip said:
I know there is a thread called dictionary-something-something but... I am having serious, sleep losing trouble with a certain type of newspeak. :(

KTLH

Keep THIS List Handy.

ROTFLMAOASTC = Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off And Scaring The Cat. :eek:

My favorite for a long time was....

IITYWIM,WYLMA? = If I Tell You What It Means, Will You Leave Me Alone?

Whisper :rose:

I used to use those a lot, about 10 or so years ago back when I first joined the net. One of my favourite things to say just before leaving to visit the bathroom was:

FYI AFK BRB RSN

We also invented our own subset of them that only our group of friends understood, such as CMC - Coffee Machine Calls and suchlike..

Definitely too many TLAs ;)

raphy said:
I used to use those a lot, about 10 or so years ago back when I first joined the net. One of my favourite things to say just before leaving to visit the bathroom was:

FYI AFK BRB RSN

We also invented our own subset of them that only our group of friends understood, such as CMC - Coffee Machine Calls and suchlike..

Definitely too many TLAs ;)

Dear, sweet raphy, I think I speak for everyone in here when I say:

HUH???:confused:

I rarely use them myself...

As a writer I try to write whole words, and not acronyms. Save for the occational LOL, or ROFLMAO. Now FYI, IMHO I think that using them is much more befiting to those who can't live without their ten remote controls as they lay on their couch munching on potatoe chips, and slurping their big gulp slurpies.

As Always
I Am the
Dirt Man

Svenskaflicka said:

*chuckles* ... You're probably better off not knowing, dear 'flicka.

:rose:

Svenskaflicka said:

What's truly sad, is that then those branch out to specialized per gaming world. Like WB, LFG? WTB shield, WTS sword.

*laughs*

Whisper :rose:

I only use one of those suckers on a routine bases, "IMHO," (in my humble opinion) and I do that for my own benefit more than the reader's. It reminds me that my name ain't Strunk, or White, or the Chicago Manual of Style which means my opinions on writing are not holy writ chiseled in stone, just the muddled ideas of another umpublished novelist.

By the way, Quasi, that list's all scewed up. Anybody who's been in, under, or around the military knows SOS stands for Shit On a Shingle (chipped cream beef on toast). :(

Rumple Foreskin

Man, those acronyms are pervasive. They get in your head and they won't leave. I just wrote a comic novel and I found myself accenting one of the funny parts with an "LOL". Even worse, I put a smiley at one point, without thinking. I am so glad I caught that before I sent it to an editor. LOL. :)

(Goddamn it! There I go again!)

One I find myself using a lot: YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary.

And I use the ROFLMAOAFTC variant. ;)

What else?

Oh yeah, AFAIK = As Far As I Know

:rose:

Rumple Foreskin said:
... Quasi, that list's all scewed up. Anybody who's been in, under, or around the military knows SOS stands for Shit On a Shingle (chipped cream beef on toast). :( Rumple Foreskin

I know Rumple,

Google keeps coming up with: "Sorry, I'm Drain Bamaged!!" :(

According to reliable sources:

SOS - means, variously: "She's Outta-Sight!" or "Sign Off, Stupid" or ArmySpeak for Chipped Beef on Toast. :eek:

Who knows what RUTHLESS is the definition of? :confused:

I know Rumple
Quasi,

I'm sure you'll agree, there are just some things a guy never forgets. These include but are not limited to:

1. The first time he makes love. note: "Time" refers to point-in-time, which can vary; not length-of-time which is invariably short.

2. The first time he takes a morning leak and learns, with excruciating clarity, that he's contracted some exotic STD. (An event that often follows a few days after #1.)

3. The first time he's exposed to chipped cream beef on toast.

Rumple

Last edited:
Chipped Beef on Toast is a strange substance. It not only functions as an emetic, but also as a purge, still several armies use it as a foodstuff. :rolleyes:

My personal theory is that after expending several months of training in boot camp, conditioning raw recruits into a fighting force, Chipped Beef on Toast is used subtly to condition the men into accepting any eventual armistice. :(

BTW, RUTHLESS = The Boston Red Sox after 1919. :D

Thanks, you guys are making my day.

I knew Lots of Love wasn't right. ;)

Shall I? ...

Naaah, I'll stick to :D

My first net experiences were in a chatroom.. and i got quickly addicted and soon knew all the acronyms and used them profusely....I still do in fact. I type email to non-chat type persons and find *lol* slipping in there such alot....I have ot go back and take them all out *L*
(see I did it then..I can't help it!)

ROFLMAOPIMP is one i've not seen mentioned

"Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off Pissing In My Pants"

I can't say i have evere used that one*L*

Thank you EL, that is a valuable contribution. :D

My god Mhari, I just figured it out. Do you?
This is Lit, be careful or they'll kick you out because of the policies.
:devil:

And I use the ROFLMAOAFTC variant.

Quasimodem said:
Chipped Beef on Toast is a strange substance. It not only functions as an emetic, but also as a purge, still several armies use it as a foodstuff. :rolleyes:

My personal theory is that after expending several months of training in boot camp, conditioning raw recruits into a fighting force, Chipped Beef on Toast is used subtly to condition the men into accepting any eventual armistice. :(

BTW, RUTHLESS = The Boston Red Sox after 1919. :D

Actually, they make SOS for breakfast because it is cheaper to make than Hamburger gravy, or sausage gravy. In this way the troops can have steak every now and then without worrying about the budget. A good cook will make SOS three times a week, and sometimes even more often if a lot of the men actually find the taste to their liking. A great cook will make it taste like actual food. The same is true for those powdered scrambled eggs, the better cooks add powdered cheese to the mix. However the real problem is that most military cooks have to work under a tight budget, and that's the end of any real culinary finese.

As Always
I Am the
Dirt Man

Dirt Man

That would be: EOARCF ?

That, my friend, will never ever get a place in my book. :devil:

Mhari? Sorry, I thought the F was for fisting. I guess it's for feeding, right?

LadyJane said:
Just sneaking in here to add my favorite:

WTF (what the fuck)

That's also one of my most used, along with FFS (for fuck's sake) and TFFT (thank fuck for that).

I like the word 'fuck'. :eek:

Lou

:D :D :D

You are all making me so happy. And since this is the season of good will I will share with you all.

Just follow the yellow road to The Booklet of Literotica Newspeak

Look for the attachment at the next page. Sorry couldn't get the update back in. :(

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Back