Yes, a new magic shave question...

Nola

Really Experienced
Ok, before anyone jumps on me (hehe), I've been searching the archives for the last day or so and have not seen the answer to my particular question. If I missed it, I apologize...it is a lot of info to go through.

Anyway, on to the question...how thick should I apply the Magic Shave cream?

And yes, I have done my test patch already...

Thanks for any and all help on this.

*anxious to get on with it*

I apply it thick enough so that I cant see my skin... but I dont slather it on.

I would say not to thick, or it would be a pain in the butt to get off, use your best judgement. If you dont like it the first time, you'll know not to use that much, or to use more the next time. ;]

I've actually used the term "slather it on".

Basically, Magic works better if you use enough that it doesn't even begin to dry out during the wait time, so it needs to be more than just "covering the area". Think about moistorizing lotion and how much you would use and take a couple of minutes to completely rub into your legs, that's about how much Magic to use."

Thanks to both ChromeCollar and morninggirl5 for your answers. I think I have an idea now of how much to use. I think tonight may be the night to do it too!

Thanks again. :rose:

*looking forward to a new look*

I have tried magic shave twice with less than acceptable results. I'm not sure what I'm doing different than everyone who has used it and swears by it.

I put it on thick, leave for a few minutes beyond the requested. I have had not burn problems, but it just does not remove the hair. It will take some of it off, but I still have to shave, so I'm not sure I see the point.

I was hoping for a baby smooth feeling afterwards, but did not at all have a good opinion of my attempts.

Just have to keep trying, i have used the cream both time I think I will buy some of the powder and see if that works any better.

Just my 2 cents..... :p

Hi mizbhvn,

Thanks for your input. I've read many posts on the subject and seems that it works wonderfully for some and not at all for others. There also seems to be a difference between the regular cream and the mild cream. And there is the powder too.

I thought I'd give it a try. I'm hoping I'm one of the lucky ones that it works on (but with my luck I probably won't be).

Thanks again. Let me know if the powder works any better/differently.

Miz, I wasnt totally satisfied with my first effort either. But I have been using a razor to shave the area for years. Any additional help seemed like a godsend. Havent thought about trying the powder to see if it gets better results. If you get around to it, let us know will ya?

I've tried the powder and the cream once each. For me, the powder was more effective, though certainly more challenging to apply. (I'll have to mix it as more of a paste than a liquid next time.) I would concur with morninggirl that the cream should be applied thickly. Like miz, I found that the first time I used the cream it left me still wanting to shave.

My current theory is that Magic works better if the hair is pretty short already; think stubble. If it's longer than that, I'm going to stick to trimming and/or shaving first.

I'll be interested to hear where this thread goes...

(BTW, big thank you to Nola for checking the previous Magic threads before posting this one. Your question is new to the best of my knowledge.) <applause> :rose:

When I've used Magic I start by using scissors and beard trimmer to get to stubble. I use powder and mix it a little thinner than 1:1 to get it to spread and not dry out. There has to be a cooking word to describe the viscosity. Certainly not porable but thick like pancake batter.

I wonder if the cream isa little weaker. Since the powder is cheaper, for my first try, I went with powder. I'm happy and my sweetie is more than happy with the look and feel :) Can't wait to see her after she uses Magic.

TV

Tried MS regular cream a year ago and wasn't happy with the results, like mzbhvn. Roots, leftover hairs, etc. I still have the unused portion.

I figure if I have to shave before I apply it, well, I'll just stuck to shaving. (Especially given all the warnings against shaving immediately before or right after application.)

You'll enjoy that smoooooth, slippery feeling however you achieve it.

I use the powder. I mix it with water until it is the consistancy of whipped cream or to the soft peak whipped egg white stage. I apply it with the same teaspoon that I use to mix it with and wash it off with the shower head and my hands. I always get really great results. I must admit that I have never let my hair grow to any length between sessions though.

Maybe I am just one of the ones it works on.

I live in Canada...and I wondered how I can get Magic Shave here. Anyone have a link that I can get it (without paypal or credit card) shipped to Canada?

I'm so sick of shaving all the time...and I get stubbly by the end of the day, anyways! Grrrr.

while we're at it

Yes, I could search, but I've read a lot of magic threads and never come across this...

Does anyone know if a tube of Magic cream gets more potent with age? I have a tube a month or two old, and went to do some areas the other night, and almost immediatelyafter applying it - woooooah, burn! Hopped right in the shower and rinsed! I'm such a miser, I hate to throw it out if it was just my skin being odd for that night, but I wondered if anyone else has ever had that happen?

Okay. I think this time I might actually get the guts to buy it at the base exchange.

Just something about buying it at a military base makes me blush.

:)
Ang

Re: while we're at it

watergirl said:
Yes, I could search, but I've read a lot of magic threads and never come across this...

Does anyone know if a tube of Magic cream gets more potent with age? I have a tube a month or two old, and went to do some areas the other night, and almost immediatelyafter applying it - woooooah, burn! Hopped right in the shower and rinsed! I'm such a miser, I hate to throw it out if it was just my skin being odd for that night, but I wondered if anyone else has ever had that happen?

Well to me it seems like it gets weaker with age. When I first brought the tube I have now it worked great but has since stop working as great.

Wow...I feel like breaking into song...

"Her name was Lola...she was a showgirl..."

or maybe

"...she said Lola, L-O-L-A Lola..."

An update: not pleased with my results so far. Going to try for a second application, a bit thicker and leave it on a bit longer. My hair had already been trimmed very short before the first application. If it doesn't work the second time, we'll try the powder instead.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice!

*humming and hoping*

Re: Re: while we're at it

[QUOTE
Does anyone know if a tube of Magic cream gets more potent with age?

Well to me it seems like it gets weaker with age.
[/QUOTE]

The contrasting experiences suggests that if you let it set in one position for a long time, it starts to separate into active and inactive ingredients.

Perhaps there should be a "shake well before using" notice?

Oh!

Weird Harold, now I'm just sitting here going "doh! - why didn't I think of that?" I'll give it a try sometime and post back about it. Nifty!

Re: Re: Re: while we're at it

Weird Harold said:
[QUOTE
Does anyone know if a tube of Magic cream gets more potent with age?

Well to me it seems like it gets weaker with age.

The contrasting experiences suggests that if you let it set in one position for a long time, it starts to separate into active and inactive ingredients.

Perhaps there should be a "shake well before using" notice?
[/QUOTE]

I guess that makes sense. I will keep that in mind next time I use it.

Thanks Lola! I'll check out the ethnic beauty shops downtown next week.

*wanders out singing "Lola, lalalala Looooh--laaaaa!"*

Aha Canada Sorted

Hi Folks,

this sounds like the answer I've been looking for, but the BIG question is, does anyone know if you can get it in the UK, and if so where about, as I'm kind of a long way from anywhere metropoloitan. All help gratefully received.:D

Back