Allergies to condoms

Ms_Lilith

Retired
Now, I'm not sure I have one, but every time my bf and I have sex with a condom, the next day I have a yeast-infection, or something like it.

I'm on Depo-provera, so I don't NEED to use a condom, but I like being extra-sure against pregnancy, cus I've gotten pregnant on birth control (different kind, granted) before.

How do you know if it's an allergy? My doc suggested taping a square of the condom to my arm, and seeing if I have a rash.. and I had itchiness, but no rash.. so.. *shrug*

try non spermicide lubracated condoms... you may be allergic to the spermicide.

if it is the latex - try the polyurathane condoms

and if not...

there is the sheepskin, though I think those are more for men who have allergies to latex.

and then of course there is the female condom... ::shivers:: that thing is a battle and a half.

But of course don't use a fem condom and a male condom together bc they eat away and stick to each other.

We don't use spermacide condoms. Not even lubricated ones. We use non-lubed condoms, and lube.

And it's not the lube, alone, cus I masturbate with lube, and no problems.

It's not just the combination, because we've had sex with condom and no lube, and I still get the itchy.

It sucks.

And our doc has recommended we don't bother with sheepskin condoms because they're ineffective and expensive, and the other ones you mentioned cost like, $5 a pop.

He just recommended we trust the birth control. I asked if he'd be willing to pay for everything if I get pregnant. He said no.

Bah.

To me it sounds like a latex allergy. I get the same thing with a certain toy I use. All the others are okay but this one little devil always causes me to turn red and burn then itch like crazy.

I have one suggestion for you, when you blow up regular latex balloons do your lips kinda feel funny, almost a burn sensation? If it happens then you likely have the allergy to latex.

Id try the poly ones Blue suggested, its been along time since Ive used them so hopefully they have improved some.

Good luck!
Cealy

vixenshe said:
We don't use spermacide condoms. Not even lubricated ones. We use non-lubed condoms, and lube.

And it's not the lube, alone, cus I masturbate with lube, and no problems.

It's not just the combination, because we've had sex with condom and no lube, and I still get the itchy.

It sucks.

And our doc has recommended we don't bother with sheepskin condoms because they're ineffective and expensive, and the other ones you mentioned cost like, $5 a pop.

He just recommended we trust the birth control. I asked if he'd be willing to pay for everything if I get pregnant. He said no.

Bah.

You said you got pregnant on BC... granted it was a different one? heh... you've got a smart Dr.

How about the spermicide foam, lube?
a diaphram?

depending on where you are (i'm in VT) and in drug stores (good ones anyway) they have all kinds of over the counter alterna contraceptives...
they require a little finesse and planning.... but there are spermicide incertables that disolve that come in little capusels that go inside of you, there is something that looks like those breath paper mint strips... but with spermicide on them that go inside your vagina can be placed inside of you anywhere between 20 mins (in which oral is great at passing time) or up to 3 hours ...or something like that.

There is also the pull out and pray method... lol

I know there is a few more, i just have to remember them or do a google.

BlueSugar said:
You said you got pregnant on BC... granted it was a different one? heh... you've got a smart Dr.

How about the spermicide foam, lube?
a diaphram?

depending on where you are (i'm in VT) and in drug stores (good ones anyway) they have all kinds of over the counter alterna contraceptives...
they require a little finesse and planning.... but there are spermicide incertables that disolve that come in little capusels that go inside of you, there is something that looks like those breath paper mint strips... but with spermicide on them that go inside your vagina can be placed inside of you anywhere between 20 mins (in which oral is great at passing time) or up to 3 hours ...or something like that.

There is also the pull out and pray method... lol

I know there is a few more, i just have to remember them or do a google.

Spermicide, I don't like. It burns a little. So I avoid it. I've tried a diaphragm. Ever had one flip while trying to put it in, and have it hit your bf in the head? Yeah, been there. *snicker* And it requires spermicidal something or other, doesn't it? I didn't use spermicide with it then, just lube.

Lately, we've been using the pull-out-and-pray method (and on Depo, I don't worry so much about that), but I'm currently on medication that affects the effectiveness of birth control, so we've had to use condoms... and I'm all itchy/burny.

*sigh*

vixenshe said:
Spermicide, I don't like. It burns a little. So I avoid it. I've tried a diaphragm. Ever had one flip while trying to put it in, and have it hit your bf in the head? Yeah, been there. *snicker* And it requires spermicidal something or other, doesn't it? I didn't use spermicide with it then, just lube.

Lately, we've been using the pull-out-and-pray method (and on Depo, I don't worry so much about that), but I'm currently on medication that affects the effectiveness of birth control, so we've had to use condoms... and I'm all itchy/burny.

*sigh*

RANT WARNING: I'm so fucking sick of hearing how meds affect BC, and how BC fucks with our bodies more then it really helps, and that it doesn't protect against disease, although unwanted pregnancies aren't awesome 99.9% of women live through the birth ... can't live with some of the crazy shit diseases that are going around. Women, everyone needs to be 100% aware of what the BC does, affects, everything... a friend of mine is losing all kinds of weight and still is spotting, major mood swings and nausia (hasn't had sex in a year) but still takes BC... I think its the wrong one for her but she switched it 3 times w/in the year... ARG!
END RANT

I'm sorry, I really really really am if I offended anyone, I just get really frustraited when it comes to BC. Its a win lose, situation as far as I'm concerned, and this is just one person's opinion... I'm prochoice when push comes to shove, I'm on the BC taker's side... I'm just frustraited with the complications it could have on our bodies. I stopped taking it because I was so frustraited, now I trust spermicide, condoms, diaphram... and if I get pregnant, I get pregnant... we're having sex, it is my choice to have sex... and if I really didn't want a baby I would stop having sex, but I'm going to take the consequences of my actions for now.
This isn't for everyone, BC isn't for everyone
To each their own is my firm belief... I'm just frustraited this week, and I apologize if it sounds like a personal attack on anyone ::feels like crying:: ugh, maybe I'm just stressed out...
ok really...
END RANT... heh... ::sigh::

I've had him put the diaphram in, it seems to help. Can be used with just lube, it just makes it THAT much harder for his little white army to infiltrate our precious peaceful grounds :)
Yeah, hes been snapped in the nose lube first... thank god we know how to laugh hehe... it takes practice, infact hes better at it then I am.. I go in and check to feel if it is all in place and good and not "upside down,'' still though.

oi, i'm sorry about your eco system not agreeing with you.. it truely has a mind of its own. I've run out of ideas other then the female condom... and that is a battle few have mastered.

Here's the thing. I'm at the point in my life now where if I DID get pregnant, I wouldn't sweat it. I would probably put the child up for adoption, because I just could not provide a great life for the child (as far as finances and time goes), but then again, if it's my S.O's child, I think I'd want to keep it. We're planning on getting married anyway...

I dunno.. what I mean is, I'd rather NOT get pregnant, but I just.. *smile* I'd just like to stop worrying about it all.

vixenshe said:
Here's the thing. I'm at the point in my life now where if I DID get pregnant, I wouldn't sweat it. I would probably put the child up for adoption, because I just could not provide a great life for the child (as far as finances and time goes), but then again, if it's my S.O's child, I think I'd want to keep it. We're planning on getting married anyway...

I dunno.. what I mean is, I'd rather NOT get pregnant, but I just.. *smile* I'd just like to stop worrying about it all.

Totally and completely understandable, I'm just frustraited with my own body and the hell a good friend of mine is going through bc of an itty bitty package of pills , a shot .. the ring... oi.

very understandable, I'm just a lil strung out :(

blue sugar - i am sooooo in agreement where bc comes in!
why the fuck can't the bloody docs get it right?
i mean, gees!, they've had long enough to get the damn pills doing the right thing (about 50 years?) and yet here we women are, still suffering through all the shit that comes with taking those tiny pills.
[/end wq's rant]

as for your problem vixenshe....
i'd hazard and say that it's not the latex - because latex allergy tends to be all over, hands, lips, everything gets rashed up and sore when touched by latex.
yours sounds like an allergy to the powder...... i have that.
if i use powdered gloves (as a piercer, i have to wear gloves every day) then my hands go red, peel and itch.
but if i use unpowdered gloves, i have no probs.
worth a try maybe, to get some unpowdered condoms?

although why you need condoms when on depo, i have no idea.
depo is more effective than the pill on it's own, and more certain than condoms on their own too.

might be a case of overkill?

and let's not forget that there's the morning after pill if something does go wrong, so you don't have to only rely on abortion to fix.

vixenshe said:
How do you know if it's an allergy? My doc suggested taping a square of the condom to my arm, and seeing if I have a rash.. and I had itchiness, but no rash.. so.. *shrug*

That sounds like you have a mild allergy to Latex. The skin on your arm is less sensitive than the mucus membranes in your genitals.

Taping th square of condom to your arm shouldn't do more than make the spot sweaty if you're not sensitive to it; if it made you itch on your arm, it probably would eventually cause a rash if you left it on long enough.

I'd suggest eating the cost of non-latex condoms for a while and see if that resolves the problem -- if it does, you can explore ways to make continud use affordable or find another alternative to Latex.

BlueSugar said:

There is also the pull out and pray method... lol.

lol
i know that im allergic to latex so i use that method plus i am on the pill.

A good birth control pill(the one that i am on) is called Tricyclen 21/28 . the 21 meaning there are just 3 weeks of hormones and no extra week of sugar pills(thats the 28) its also cheaper than the 28.

i've used this particular brand for 3 years now and i've had no problems.

the only time i got pregnant was 4 years ago when i was off this pill cuz i couldn't afford it, but i had solid sex for a week before this happend.

anyways i use the pill and use the pull out method cuz i don't like it when my b/f cums in me. he prefers cumming on me anyways so its a win/win situation for us.

lol
hope the advice helped

I have a mild allergy to latex.

What works for me and it sucks because it kinda ruins the mood is that, after sex, I have to take a shower and it seems to minimize the itching.

So, use the non latex condoms and they seem to eliminate the problem.

Back