snooper

8-))?
What is it about avatars?

I don't care what the thread is, how serious the subject, be it politics, love, writing, or any other topic you care to name, I can guarantee that you won't get 20 posts without some two or more contributors going off in to a discussion of someone's AV.

WIll someone please explain why?

Lol. Snooper, you sound like you don't really like 'em. :p

We're all artistic people here and when we see something which grabs us, we talk about it. Simple.

By the way, I've mean meaning to comment on how much I like the minimalistic approach you've taken on your AV. Lovely! *smiles*

In all serious though, I think it's just too many opinions shoved into too small a space. Detours and derailed trains of though are inevitable. *shrug*

Whisp :rose:

snooper,

It's all about Shannon's theory of data communication:

An avatar is a small graphic, up to 150 x 150 pixels in size, that can accompany your sign in name.

Please note, you don't need to use a real passport photo. You can use any graphic you want!

We use them because a picture is worth 3,500 words.

150 x 150 = 22,500 pixels. Each pixel contains log2 of 256, or 8 computer bits, which is one byte.

A single ansi compter letter is also a single byte. There are approximately five letters in an English word, taken on everage in normal converstaion. Including the spaces between words, an english word takes up about 6 bytes.

So you can see that an Avatar is worth about 22,500 / 6 = 3,500 English words.

It's the same way that you wouldn't have a conversation with someone without looking at their face. The avatars in here are the equivalent of faces and so commenting on any changes is the Lit board equivalent of "Those earrings look nice" or "Is that a new dress? Suits you."

The Earl

TheEarl said:
"Those earrings look nice" or "Is that a new dress? Suits you."
I am likely to ask, "What happened to your dick?"

Perdita :p

I go to the hairdresser on a regular bases too. It's nice to insert a bit of variation in the way you look. And as said above: the AV is our visual presentation.

By the way, Joe: I like you explanation, but your AV is loud. Are you shouting? :D

Well My Av is actually me (and my face for a change!) I think it's nice to be able to show who I am to other people. It adds another dimension to your words. People can read your character form your AV and it might put a whole other slant on the words you've typed.

Svenskaflicka said:
That's you in your AV, Sub Joe?

My current psychalelic AV? Yes. Lots of little me's vanishing into nothing... whooo. (Joe's a little high today)

Flicka, please tell me that's YOU in YOUR av. I've fallen in love with her/it -- Actually, I've been trying to identify her -- she looks a bit like something out of my favorite film ever, ever -- Belleville Rendezvous

perdita said:
I am likely to ask, "What happened to your dick?"

Perdita :p

P, Thanks for given me the first one of the day (laugh, that is)

Black Tulip said:
I go to the hairdresser on a regular bases too. It's nice to insert a bit of variation in the way you look. And as said above: the AV is our visual presentation.

By the way, Joe: I like you explanation, but your AV is loud. Are you shouting? :D

No, it's a couple of yeras old, from my long-hair days... anyway, I'm changing it to something more subdued over the weekend...

BTW I always have a little linger over your elegant av's -- even though I feel a little outclassed by some of them. Right now, that clumsy decorator is a closer to my league. I mean, doing home decorations in that outfit... so impractical!

English Lady said:
Well My Av is actually me (and my face for a change!)
Aw, Lady, I love your other bits, but I must say your face is as cute as my bunny's. :) If I lived near, you are someone I'd love to get to know.

Perdita

I don't have any really good pictures of me and my drawing skills have gone to crap in the last few years, so I've been using my 3D art for an avatar.

While the gear and the current coins, and whatever I'll do next and after that aren't all that erotic or enticing...they're different.

The_Darkness said:
I don't have any really good pictures of me and my drawing skills have gone to crap in the last few years, so I've been using my 3D art for an avatar.

While the gear and the current coins, and whatever I'll do next and after that aren't all that erotic or enticing...they're different.

Different is good!

- Mindy, not at all biased in that judgement :D

lol I've been using my shoes or Renzas for av's but now I'm in shape and so it's the ass. (brought to you in part by stairmaster)
I totally mastered those stairs :D

My avatar... well... is my pen name's sig, the Greek letter"Xi" done in 3D amidst a swirling tunnel of random Greek characters. My friend rendered it for me for a CD cover.

Why is it always the guy with out an Av crying about the chit chat about Avs?

I know you can take the heat Snooper.

Stairmaster.....*shudders* I can feel my knees needing to crack just thinking about it. Though, the results are undeniable.....

Yummy.

Sub Joe said:
My current psychalelic AV? Yes. Lots of little me's vanishing into nothing... whooo. (Joe's a little high today)

Flicka, please tell me that's YOU in YOUR av. I've fallen in love with her/it -- Actually, I've been trying to identify her -- she looks a bit like something out of my favorite film ever, ever -- Belleville Rendezvous

That's how I'd look like with dark hair, yes. The nose is a little pink, but other than that, I'd say the likeness is... CHANGING SUBJECT;
that's Mother from the movie "Gnomes". She's the sweet, loving mother of the little cutie standing next to the cake in Ice's AV.

destinie21 said:
lol I've been using my shoes or Renzas for av's but now I'm in shape and so it's the ass. (brought to you in part by stairmaster)
I totally mastered those stairs :D

I guess you'd just done ten flights, and were resting for a minute when you had your AV photo taken.

minsue said:
Different is good!

- Mindy, not at all biased in that judgement :D
That's just because you have the coolest and quite frankly among the most undeniably different AVs in the history of AVs.

#L

ps, all hail the stairmaster

Back